• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST33 June 2024| Bash at the Beach feat. chocolate_supra

• Thread starter Deleted member 1081
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1081

School is out, air conditioning units are on full blast, and a couple of neighborhood kids are fixing to perch atop a clock tower and eat Sea Salt Ice Cream whilst lamenting their fleeting youth. All of these happening concurrently can only mean one thing:

IT’S TIME FOR FAMIBOARDS’ BASH AT THE BEACH (Presented by Subway)!

Hit the music, Paul!

16 GAMES WILL ENTER.

1 GAME WILL SURVIVE.

THE REST WILL BE TOSSED INTO THIS WADING POOL, WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE SHARKS DEPENDING ON BUDGETARY RESTRICTIONS.

LAND_16_9

Oh so I guess no sharks then…

Famiboards Bash at the Beach
OOUXfTk.png

Like most of you, my most time honored summer tradition is locking myself in a dark room and playing video games that kind of resemble the natural environment outside my window. Why go outside and water my lawn when I can water the pavement of Isle Delfino with Mario? Why hop on a jetski and potentially fatally injure myself when I can fatally injure a polygonal block man in Wave Race 64? Why burn to a crisp in the increasingly unfriendly sunshine when I can burn Hydro Thunder on a CD-ROM and insert it into my Dreamcast?

Over the course of this month, this thread will host the first (and only) Famiboards Bash at the Beach, in which you will nominate a peak summer game to enter into a 16-game bracket to be crowned the Unified Undisputed Universal Game of the Summer (Presented by Subway). The schedule for the Bash at the Beach is as follows:

• June 1-7: Nominations (via Google Form, found here and below!)
  • June 8-15: Round of 16
  • June 16-22: Semi-Finals
  • June 23-29: Finals

___

ENTERING NUMBER ONE, THE IMMORTAL SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE!

uCHrPGp.jpeg

The presumptive favorite entering this tournament, Mario Sunshine enters with the wind (and FLUDD) at its back. The only thing that seems capable of stopping Sunshine-a-mania from running wild over this competition is itself. How deep!

Testimonials for Super Mario Sunshine

“The whole game is about a vacation. It’s hot. You can hang out on a beach. Game isn’t perfect but it definitely nails “summer beach vacation” - @Derachi

“…sunshine” - @BozPaggs

”Wahoo” - @Mr_No_U

”I mean, c'mon. This is pure summer vibes pressed onto a disc. Exploring a tropical locale brimming with sun and surf, listening to some bopping tunes, trying new things, meeting new people, spending some time in a local jail for a bit of light vandalism, thinking "eh, I can make that jump" and immediately being proven oh so very wrong in a hilarious and slightly painful way. Sunshine is peak "what I did over summer vacation" fun and should be on everyone's summer playing list.” - @BlackthornOrion
___

NEXT, FROM PARTS UNKNOWN: STREETPASS: MII PLAZA!

QDUowog.jpeg

A surprise entry, Streetpass just kind of showed up on our couch and started moaning about how Super Mario Sunshine “sold out”. They chose not to elaborate.

Testimonials for Streetpass: Mii Plaza

”You actually have to go outside to use it, you lazy pieces [of nice things]. Gamescom is in summer and that was always a Streetpass goldmine. Also you barely play it so you enjoy it the summer, as much as you curse the heat, when the sun sets on your last go on the merry-go-round this planet does, you will ask yourself: Could I have gotten every puzzle piece?” - @jirou

___

ACCOMPANYING STREETPASS: MII PLAZA ARE MEMBERS OF THE FLOCK!

ATELIER RYZA: EVER DARKNESS AND THE SECRET HIDEOUT!

ED, EDD, and EDDY: THE MIS-EDVENTURES

AND THE TOURYST!

nAvpMie.jpeg

These strangers can’t help but follow Streetpass around, endlessly pinging their leader with notifications of the same three passerby in its vicinity.

Testimonials for The Flock

“The whole premise of Ed, Edd n Eddy is a group of friends enjoying their summer by pulling a bunch of scams and going on...Edventures. So it should be celebrated in game form! Honorary mention is the Evangelion game on N64 because of all the cicadas in the anime.” - @Croix22

“It's a game about weird things happening on a summery vacation! You visit several different lil' islands, solve puzzles, take pics, find brochures. You can also play it on every platform, and it runs great on 'em all.” - @big lantern ghost

“I know this will never win, but still this game is peak summer, you got nice colors, a relaxing vibe, chill and joyful music, and a story that is reminiscent of the kind of summer adventures you can get as a teenager. Heck, even the main theme of the game is called "One Summer's Adventure"! How can you not vote for this?” - @Party Sklar

___

ENTERING NEXT ON A COOL ASS JETSKI, IT’S WAVE RACE 64!

NU6NaSa.jpeg

A fan favorite, Wave Race 64 has delighted generations of players with its water physics and sponsored aquatic vehicles. In The Year of The Drake, can Drake Lake claim its stake?

…what do you mean not til 2025?

Testimonials for Wave Race 64

”Wave Race 64” - @Raccoon

___

BEHIND THEM ON A DECIDEDLY LESSER JETSKI, IT’S WAVE RACE BLUE STORM!

IWMpXuT.jpeg

Yep!

Testimonials for Wave Race: Blue Storm

”look, when else are you gonna go jetskiing.” - @freedomseekr

___

RUNNING TO THE RING NOW IS CALIFORNIA GAMES!

JLvcmla.jpeg

Did you know that California is the name of a real place?

Testimonials for California Games

“This game just felt like BEACH to me when I was a kid. Only one of the sports is beach-themed but most of the others take place on a beach with the ocean visible or in a costal town. Even the levels that don't are still outdoorsy summer sports. The visual depictions of the beachy outdoors along with the groovin music all contribute to an almost Hollywood-ish summer vibe and while it might not be the most well-known game (or have very good gameplay) it was the first thing that came to mind when the suggestion of "summer games" came up. That's right, even more so than Geoff.” - @chocolate_supra

___

SWINGING IN ON A VINE, IT’S DONKEY KONG COUNTRY: TROPICAL FREEZE!

IZ5QEz4.jpeg

According to some, this is the best platformer ever made. I don’t know about that, Tim! It has some undeniable seasonal vibes, as can be gleaned from its delightfully oxymoronic name.

Testimonials for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

“It's about saving the summer vibes on DK Island from the cold Snowmads. Also, Funky Kong and his surfing skills.” - @SilicaKong20XX

___

FROM THE DEPTHS OF OUTER SPACE, IT’S POKÉMON PLATINUM!

U4QP4KP.jpeg

The reason your friend was upset about the Diamond and Pearl Remakes joins the fight! I never actually played any of the “definitive” Pokémon games, so I’ll take the nominator’s word for it.

Testimonials for Pokémon Platinum

”For a time, until the remakes came out, I played Platinum every Summer without fail, so I associate it with Summer now.” - @EvilChameleon

___

FROM THE RAFTERS, IT’S “THE ICON” EARTHBOUND!

C6eWsFo.jpeg

There’s a different timeline where its sequel gets nominated and promptly booted for being depressing as fuck.

Testimonials for Earthbound

”Wacky ROAD TRIP! Also you visit a beach resort town and the whole game just oozes summer time as a kid with nothing to do in the summer. (Arguably this could also apply to Final Fantasy XV but that's not on Nintendo systems 😭)” - @shoptroll

___

EMERGING FROM A POOL OF INK, IT’S SPLATOON!

zFWjIjw.jpeg

I have no idea how it took this game so long to surface. Perhaps that’s their strategy? Either way, let’s hear what our spectral friend had to say!

Testimonials for Splatoon

“Splatoon games always feel like they take place in constant Summer vacation as a lot of the levels prominently feature bright, warm sun, vacation-like pool and beach destinations, and a fun adventurous attitude through their graphics and music. The big Splatfests feel like Summer night parties as well. Of the three games, I think the first game in particular best captures Peak Summer vibes so I’m nominating it for the Bash at the Beach!” - @xghost777
___

COMING SOON TO A GAME STATION NEAR YOU, IT’S GRÖGOL BONANZA!

XusnB4k.jpeg

Play the demo on itch.io to experience the summer vibes for yourself!

Testimonials for Grögol Bonanza

”What could be more "summer" than getting a mediocre part-time job for a horrible boss, uncovering climate catastrophes, swimming a lot, and egging on queer romances?” - @Suswave

___

FINALLY, UNWELCOME INTERLOPERS THE OUTSIDERS, FEATURING

FINAL FANTASY X

AND BISHI BASHI!

hnhUyIL.jpeg

PlayStation games? On my Family Boards web zone? The people have spoken.

Testimonials for The Outsiders

“Blitzball is the ultimate water sport.” - @meatbag

”It's minigames, can be played with three people, only needs three big coured buttons and is perfect for both small distractions while enjoying the beach or a big competition under the sun. Plus, you can use the name 'Bishi Bashi at the Beach', it feels kinda right! “ - @7threst

___

WHO WILL EMERGE?

WHO WILL SUBMERGE?

ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE!

VOTE NOW!

AND THANK YOU TO @chocolate_supra FOR MAKING MY MONSTERS AND MY FRIEND, GOOSE, FOR VOICING THE INTRODUCTION VIDEO!

Meanwhile, on The Nintendo Switch Family of Hardware

Any amount of sweat that I’m expending pales in comparison to developers who continue to pump out games while the rest of us are sitting on our duffs drinking a Duff. Coming to your Nintendo Switch this June…

1920x1080_SizzleSeason

• Splatoon 3: Sizzle Season (06/01/24) - I haven’t played this game in awhile because I’m bad at it, but they’re still releasing content for it! You should ask someone more qualified. Have you met @Raccoon?
  • DISNEY’S STAR WARS: Hunters: A Star Wars Story (06/04/24) - I stopped reading at F2P. I’m sure this competitive third-person action game will have a big following that I can’t comprehend. Or it will be a big flop and get yeeted into the shark-infested waters mentioned in the above section.
  • Monster Hunter Stories (06/14/24) - The first Monster Hunter Stories is back, and it’s not just in Pog form!
  • Shin Megami Tensei V: reVengeance (06/14/24) - You think the V is the Roman Numeral “5”, but it actually means “Venom”.
  • Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble (06/25/24) - This is probably going to be a good time. However, the naming conventions of this series are such that I still think I already own this game. Am I from the future?
  • Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD (06/27/24) - 2 Luigi, 2 Mansion. Uhh…yeah, I don’t like this game. It’s cool that it’s coming to Switch, though? I’ll sit here and wait for the first game to be shadow dropped.

Additionally, Nintendo already confirmed a Nintendo Direct for this month! They won’t be talking about hardware, much to the chagrin of 90% of the registered users on this website, but I have it on good authority that Mario will make a cameo. That’ll put butts in the seats!

HONOR THE PAST

|ST Oct 2021| by @mazi
|ST2 Nov 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or… by @Derachi
|ST3 Dec 2021| Topical Threes by @Suswave
|ST4 Jan 2022| Resurrections by @Skittzo
|ST5 Feb 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3 by @Dardan Sandiego
|ST6 Mar 2022| Marchful Mode by @EvilChameleon
|ST7 Apr 2022| Launch Timing Update For ST7 Sequel by @EvilChameleon
|ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8 by @Barely Able
|ST9 June 2022| This is Miyamoto. Have a fun summer! by @Irene
|ST10 July 2022| Julyve A Live by @Plum
|ST11 Aug 2022| Everybody’s 11-12 Discussion Thread by @Legion of Primes
|ST12 Sept 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03 by @xghost777
|ST13 Oct 2022| Our First Famiversary! by @hologram
|ST14 Nov 2022| Comfy And Easy To Wear by @bellydrum
|ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami by @Red Monster
|ST16 Jan 2023| Team Famuary Stays Winning by @chocolate_supra
|ST17 Feb 2023| Octopath Traveling II Directland Deluxe by @SammyJ9
|ST18 Mar 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month by @Brofield
|ST19 Apr 2023| A tradition unlike any other by @Josh5890
|ST20 May 2023| Every Teardrop is a Waterfall by @Irene
|ST21 June 2023| Welcome to Famipark! by @Party Sklar
|ST22 July 2023| PIKMINVASION by @famicorpse
|ST23 Aug 2023| Things Get WEIRD by @shoptroll
|ST24 Sept 2023| Barely Able Will Star as the Main Poster in a Brand New ST (temp.) by @Barely Able
|ST25 Oct 2023| Have a Wonderful Famiversary! by @VolcanicDynamo
|ST26 Nov 2023| The Man Who Erased His Moves by @Derachi
|ST27 Dec 2023| Have a Cuppa with Your Fami by @MissingNo.
|ST28 Jan 2024| This Is Our Year by @ngpdrew
|ST29 Feb 2024| Two Handhelds, Both Alike In Dignity by @Suswave
|ST30 Mar 2024| Famiboards Town-Square by @Raccoon
|ST31 Apr. 2024| Famicafé Forever by @big lantern ghost
|ST32 May 2024| Endless Ocean Season!, Paper Mario Season! by @Chie

INSPIRE THE FUTURE

|ST34 July 2024| by @xghost777
|ST35 August 2024| by @shoptroll
|ST36 September 2024| by @Suswave
|ST37 October 2024| by @Sadist
|ST39 December 2024| by @MissingNo.

I have been a huge Drexciya fan for over 20 years and I still can't get enough of the legendary Detroit electro outfit. Here's a great documentary :

I have been a huge Drexciya fan for over 20 years and I still can't get enough of the legendary Detroit electro outfit. Here's a great documentary :

hell yes. one of the coolest music groups ever. there was a brief period where I was planning to do the Endless Ocean ST here and I had narrowed it down to a couple different Drexciya song titles to use as the ST title lol

hell yes. one of the coolest music groups ever. there was a brief period where I was planning to do the Endless Ocean ST here and I had narrowed it down to a couple different Drexciya song titles to use as the ST title lol
Haha damn that's pretty cool! I probably would've gone with Bubble Metropolis 😁

Last month was not the month for the Stardew Valley 1.6 update to hit consoles.
So perhaps this will be said month.

I love the OP for real. Makes me want to organise a mini games festival on the beach with food and drinks and call it Bishi Bashi on the Beach.

Edit: rereading this, I sound stupid

teambestb.gif

cashier scans last item

“alrighty that brings your total to an arm and a leg and 50 cents”

lays arm and leg on chopping block

lol @Concernt I swear to god I meant it when I said I've never seen € in front of the number in a German store... yet I just opened the PS Store to check the PS Plus discounts and the € is at the front..... this is a conspiracy now

Huh, it's still June for about an hour here...

Anyway, new month, new thread, new fun!

I love the OP for real. Makes me want to organise a mini games festival on the beach with food and drinks and call it Bishi Bashi on the Beach.

Edit: rereading this, I sound stupid

teambestb.gif
Hey I woulda gone to this

lol @Concernt I swear to god I meant it when I said I've never seen € in front of the number in a German store... yet I just opened the PS Store to check the PS Plus discounts and the € is at the front..... this is a conspiracy now
👻

KNOW THE CURSE OF THE SMALL MARKET. HAAAAAH!

Thanks for the new OP @ngpdrew ! It brings in my heart the summer spirit that the weather refuses to do.

Ahhhh I missed the latter half of @Chie 's thread! I wanted to say thank you for the shenanigans, and for the rare call out to Looney Tunes that I oh so rarely see on the internet circles I frequent!

@ngpdrew the real winner of the Beach Bash will be your thread and us, looking forward to the shenanigans to come and my eventual nominations of the games to enter!

sometimes all it takes is whispering omelette du fromage in the correct person’s ear and BAM you’re married with a kid and a mortgage

omg I just noticed who the sponsor is for Fami's Bash at the Beach 🤣

Ahhhh I missed the latter half of @Chie 's thread! I wanted to say thank you for the shenanigans, and for the rare call out to Looney Tunes that I oh so rarely see on the internet circles I frequent!
Yeah seconding this!! Thanks @Chie for being a great host (and for inspiring one of the wildest Fami avatars I've ever made)!

I wish Wrath of the Black Manta was on NSO, I crave for that game.

Man, y'all want cooler weather, I crave the sun and the warmth here 😔

Edit: not to take away from the heat waves you ate all in, it can be brutal. But it has been raining here all spring, I'd love some nice warm weather right noe.

Cooler weather means hoodies (like the one in my avatar) and triple blanket nights.
Plus, hey, less daylight means more time for my lava lamps to be effective. During the Summer unless there's some special event I don't turn them on until 4PM.

Edit: not to take away from the heat waves you ate all in, it can be brutal. But it has been raining here all spring, I'd love some nice warm weather right noe.
yeah see I crave the rain. We barely get any, everything is dusty brown/grey and the grass is dead, and the air is seriously like... actually when you cross the threshold into Death Mountain in BotW where it says the air itself is burning around you, yeah that's what it's gonna feel like for me to breathe for the next four months. 😅

I am told there are places in the world where summer means crisp 70-80° highs with green grass and popcorn clouds, but the only time I've ever had a summer like that was when I went to Canada, and airfare has gotten really expensive so 🫠

Didn’t get to post before the changeover, excellent ST last month @Chie! It was a nice, cozy thread!

Loving the cool (hot?) Summer theme for this month @ngpdrew ! Excited to make a nomination later :)

Oh a WCW themed general thread. Do we get to pick our stables? If so, I'm gonna go with the Revolution:
43ee3aead96dca05fe1a5bb45dc41c4bfa086c0b_00.jpg

WWE replaced Shane Douglas with Eddie Guerrerro but it wasn't the same. I only accept Douglas's proven leadership.

Also can someone remake this N64 gem? Bringing the licenses of all character will be some hell, as all of them are signed to different promotions right now:
220px-WCW_vs._nWo_-_World_Tour_Coverart.png

I already made a nomination but in hindsight it probably didn't reach the word count

omg I just noticed who the sponsor is for Fami's Bash at the Beach 🤣
I use light mode, so I can't see some of my logo. Does Presented By show up for anyone? Looks awkward to me now.
Oh a WCW themed general thread. Do we get to pick our stables? If so, I'm gonna go with the Revolution:
43ee3aead96dca05fe1a5bb45dc41c4bfa086c0b_00.jpg

WWE replaced Shane Douglas with Eddie Guerrerro but it wasn't the same. I only accept Douglas's proven leadership.

Also can someone remake this N64 gem? Bringing the licenses of all character will be some hell, as all of them are signed to different promotions right now:
220px-WCW_vs._nWo_-_World_Tour_Coverart.png
Hell yeah, brother.

Here's to Raven's Flock. I especially love when Raven lives at home with his parents and moans like a teenager.

I use light mode, so I can't see some of my logo. Does Presented By show up for anyone? Looks awkward to me now.
I use light mode as well. I always run my threads (and signature/username colors) through both light and dark modes before going full-hog on anything.

Using the Tears of the Fami style... I can kinda intuit there's something but can't read it, have to click on the logo to see it with darker bg.

Back
Top Bottom