• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST33 June 2024| Bash at the Beach feat. chocolate_supra

• Thread starter Deleted member 1081
  • Start date
it's not anywhere near the astronomic numbers it had at launch, but it's also not absolutely terrible for what it is

According to SteamDB, it's the 63rd most-played game right now, so a bit lower than the number of people playing things like Skyrim, Ghost of Tsushima, and Lethal Company at the moment. But considering at one point it had the second highest concurrents ever, it's definitely a steep dropoff. It'll be interesting though to see if they can manage to get a significant number of people back with the new content (I suspect no; I think for most people it was a flash-in-the-pan meme and they got their fill of the "pokemon with guns" joke after the first week or so)
palworld never had the makings of a varsity athlete. but seriously they did expand so I don't think dipping into sub-10k numbers is good for their long term plans. doesn't seem like the constant updates are doing much to arrest the decline as well. but seeing how reliant they were on plagiarism didn't exactly give a lot of faith that they were capable of maintaining the game relevant. far more talented teams with more resources have failed to pull it off. but we'll see with this upcoming big update.

I just realized, October's gonna fuckin HELL for my wallet. Sonic X Shadow Generations, Sparking Zero, and Metaphor? Go-fuckin-lly, man!!!! 😭

I hope Nintendo doesn't release something crazy on October.......

I just realized, October's gonna fuckin HELL for my wallet. Sonic X Shadow Generations, Sparking Zero, and Metaphor? Go-fuckin-lly, man!!!! 😭

Metroid/Mario Party double whammy incoming

Me (in my anime voice while fighting my nemesis):

"two can play that game"

gallery-1476978775-gurf.gif

Finished chapter 22 of megaton Musashi wired and I’m having a blast… but 23 starts with the infamous 30 minute long cutscene warning XD

Kirby Air Ride HD, and Metroid Prime 4.
Oh and Xenoblade Warriors on the last Thursday of Sept

2016: Nintendo's gonna go third party, Horizon will be the Zelda killer

2024: Horizon Adventures coming to Nintendo Switch

No slight meant to Horizon, it's just remarkable how much has changed in 8 years

Last edited:
Recently upgraded to a Switch OLED, any screen protector recommendations? preferabbly easy to install as im a bit of a fat fingered doofus.

Me (in my anime voice while fighting my nemesis):

"two can play that game"

gallery-1476978775-gurf.gif

"But can three play that game?"
"Why yes they can. Grab a Joycon and join on it."
"But can FOUR play that game?"
"No Jim! You're driving the van! Turn back around and put your hands on the wheel before we...."

Recently upgraded to a Switch OLED, any screen protector recommendations? preferabbly easy to install as im a bit of a fat fingered doofus.
I think the brands I've gone with in the past are AmFilm and Orzly and those have all worked out well so far. Usually pretty straightforward to apply and come with a spare or two in case you screw up

Also my go-to protip for screen protectors is: wait til the next time you're gonna take a hot shower, then when you're done, put the protector on in the bathroom. The steam will weigh down dust particles and reduce the chances of little specs or random hairs getting stuck between the screen and the protector

I think the brands I've gone with in the past are AmFilm and Orzly and those have all worked out well so far. Usually pretty straightforward to apply and come with a spare or two in case you screw up

Also my go-to protip for screen protectors is: wait til the next time you're gonna take a hot shower, then when you're done, put the protector on in the bathroom. The steam will weigh down dust particles and reduce the chances of little specs or random hairs getting stuck between the screen and the protector
Thanks. I think my OG Switch was also an Orzly, so i'll check those out.

Btw, if you're in the EU, today is the last day where you can vote for the EU parliament. Please do. I'll be heading to the polling station later.

THE BASH BEGINS New
16…uhh…15 GAMES ENTER.

14 GET FED TO…water.

1 SURVIVES.

IT’S TIME FOR THE FIRST ANNUAL* FAMIBOARDS BASH AT THE BEACH!

WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, HERE’S “THE LINK” HOWARD LINKLE TO INTRODUCE THE CONTESTANTS.

___

ENTERING NUMBER ONE, THE IMMORTAL SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE!

uCHrPGp.jpeg

The presumptive favorite entering this tournament, Mario Sunshine enters with the wind (and FLUDD) at its back. The only thing that seems capable of stopping Sunshine-a-mania from running wild over this competition is itself. How deep!

Testimonials for Super Mario Sunshine

“The whole game is about a vacation. It’s hot. You can hang out on a beach. Game isn’t perfect but it definitely nails “summer beach vacation” - @Derachi

“…sunshine” - @BozPaggs

”Wahoo” - @Mr_No_U

”I mean, c'mon. This is pure summer vibes pressed onto a disc. Exploring a tropical locale brimming with sun and surf, listening to some bopping tunes, trying new things, meeting new people, spending some time in a local jail for a bit of light vandalism, thinking "eh, I can make that jump" and immediately being proven oh so very wrong in a hilarious and slightly painful way. Sunshine is peak "what I did over summer vacation" fun and should be on everyone's summer playing list.” - @BlackthornOrion
___

NEXT, FROM PARTS UNKNOWN: STREETPASS: MII PLAZA!

QDUowog.jpeg

A surprise entry, Streetpass just kind of showed up on our couch and started moaning about how Super Mario Sunshine “sold out”. They chose not to elaborate.

Testimonials for Streetpass: Mii Plaza

”You actually have to go outside to use it, you lazy pieces [of nice things]. Gamescom is in summer and that was always a Streetpass goldmine. Also you barely play it so you enjoy it the summer, as much as you curse the heat, when the sun sets on your last go on the merry-go-round this planet does, you will ask yourself: Could I have gotten every puzzle piece?” - @jirou

___

ACCOMPANYING STREETPASS: MII PLAZA ARE MEMBERS OF THE FLOCK!

ATELIER RYZA: EVER DARKNESS AND THE SECRET HIDEOUT!

ED, EDD, and EDDY: THE MIS-EDVENTURES

AND THE TOURYST!

nAvpMie.jpeg

These strangers can’t help but follow Streetpass around, endlessly pinging their leader with notifications of the same three passerby in its vicinity.

Testimonials for The Flock

“The whole premise of Ed, Edd n Eddy is a group of friends enjoying their summer by pulling a bunch of scams and going on...Edventures. So it should be celebrated in game form! Honorary mention is the Evangelion game on N64 because of all the cicadas in the anime.” - @Croix22

“It's a game about weird things happening on a summery vacation! You visit several different lil' islands, solve puzzles, take pics, find brochures. You can also play it on every platform, and it runs great on 'em all.” - @big lantern ghost

“I know this will never win, but still this game is peak summer, you got nice colors, a relaxing vibe, chill and joyful music, and a story that is reminiscent of the kind of summer adventures you can get as a teenager. Heck, even the main theme of the game is called "One Summer's Adventure"! How can you not vote for this?” - @Party Sklar

___

ENTERING NEXT ON A COOL ASS JETSKI, IT’S WAVE RACE 64!

NU6NaSa.jpeg

A fan favorite, Wave Race 64 has delighted generations of players with its water physics and sponsored aquatic vehicles. In The Year of The Drake, can Drake Lake claim its stake?

…what do you mean not til 2025?

Testimonials for Wave Race 64

”Wave Race 64” - @Raccoon

___

BEHIND THEM ON A DECIDEDLY LESSER JETSKI, IT’S WAVE RACE BLUE STORM!

IWMpXuT.jpeg

Yep!

Testimonials for Wave Race: Blue Storm

”look, when else are you gonna go jetskiing.” - @freedomseekr

___

RUNNING TO THE RING NOW IS CALIFORNIA GAMES!

JLvcmla.jpeg

Did you know that California is the name of a real place?

Testimonials for California Games

“This game just felt like BEACH to me when I was a kid. Only one of the sports is beach-themed but most of the others take place on a beach with the ocean visible or in a costal town. Even the levels that don't are still outdoorsy summer sports. The visual depictions of the beachy outdoors along with the groovin music all contribute to an almost Hollywood-ish summer vibe and while it might not be the most well-known game (or have very good gameplay) it was the first thing that came to mind when the suggestion of "summer games" came up. That's right, even more so than Geoff.” - @chocolate_supra

___

SWINGING IN ON A VINE, IT’S DONKEY KONG COUNTRY: TROPICAL FREEZE!

IZ5QEz4.jpeg

According to some, this is the best platformer ever made. I don’t know about that, Tim! It has some undeniable seasonal vibes, as can be gleaned from its delightfully oxymoronic name.

Testimonials for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

“It's about saving the summer vibes on DK Island from the cold Snowmads. Also, Funky Kong and his surfing skills.” - @SilicaKong20XX

___

FROM THE DEPTHS OF OUTER SPACE, IT’S POKÉMON PLATINUM!

U4QP4KP.jpeg

The reason your friend was upset about the Diamond and Pearl Remakes joins the fight! I never actually played any of the “definitive” Pokémon games, so I’ll take the nominator’s word for it.

Testimonials for Pokémon Platinum

”For a time, until the remakes came out, I played Platinum every Summer without fail, so I associate it with Summer now.” - @EvilChameleon

___

FROM THE RAFTERS, IT’S “THE ICON” EARTHBOUND!

C6eWsFo.jpeg

There’s a different timeline where its sequel gets nominated and promptly booted for being depressing as fuck.

Testimonials for Earthbound

”Wacky ROAD TRIP! Also you visit a beach resort town and the whole game just oozes summer time as a kid with nothing to do in the summer. (Arguably this could also apply to Final Fantasy XV but that's not on Nintendo systems 😭)” - @shoptroll

___

EMERGING FROM A POOL OF INK, IT’S SPLATOON!

zFWjIjw.jpeg

I have no idea how it took this game so long to surface. Perhaps that’s their strategy? Either way, let’s hear what our spectral friend had to say!

Testimonials for Splatoon

“Splatoon games always feel like they take place in constant Summer vacation as a lot of the levels prominently feature bright, warm sun, vacation-like pool and beach destinations, and a fun adventurous attitude through their graphics and music. The big Splatfests feel like Summer night parties as well. Of the three games, I think the first game in particular best captures Peak Summer vibes so I’m nominating it for the Bash at the Beach!” - @xghost777
___

COMING SOON TO A GAME STATION NEAR YOU, IT’S GRÖGOL BONANZA!

XusnB4k.jpeg

Play the demo on itch.io to experience the summer vibes for yourself!

Testimonials for Grögol Bonanza

”What could be more "summer" than getting a mediocre part-time job for a horrible boss, uncovering climate catastrophes, swimming a lot, and egging on queer romances?” - @Suswave

___

FINALLY, UNWELCOME INTERLOPERS THE OUTSIDERS, FEATURING

FINAL FANTASY X

AND BISHI BASHI!

hnhUyIL.jpeg

PlayStation games? On my Family Boards web zone? The people have spoken.

Testimonials for The Outsiders

“Blitzball is the ultimate water sport.” - @meatbag

”It's minigames, can be played with three people, only needs three big coured buttons and is perfect for both small distractions while enjoying the beach or a big competition under the sun. Plus, you can use the name 'Bishi Bashi at the Beach', it feels kinda right! “ - @7threst

___

WHO WILL EMERGE?

WHO WILL SUBMERGE?

ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE!

VOTE NOW!

AND THANK YOU TO @chocolate_supra FOR MAKING MY MONSTERS AND MY FRIEND, GOOSE, FOR VOICING THE INTRODUCTION VIDEO!

I’m surprised I was the only person to nominate Splatoon haha. I knew Sunshine was in already, so I thought it about it for a few days what else had the most peak Summer vibes and it was clear Splatoon reigned supreme over the rest of the games I was considering. Feel bad A Short Hike didn’t make the cut, that would have been my next pick.

I’m surprised I was the only person to nominate Splatoon haha
Honestly Splatoon was the first game to pop into my head along with Boku no Natsuyasumi, then I figured a bunch of other people were gonna nominate it (and Super Mario Sunshine) so I didn't bother putting it in. Turns out it would only get one nomination lol

16…uhh…15 GAMES ENTER.

14 GET FED TO…water.

1 SURVIVES.

WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, HERE’S “THE LINK” HOWARD LINKLE TO INTRODUCE THE CONTESTANTS.

___

uCHrPGp.jpeg

The presumptive favorite entering this tournament, Mario Sunshine enters with the wind (and FLUDD) at its back. The only thing that seems capable of stopping Sunshine-a-mania from running wild over this competition is itself. How deep!

“The whole game is about a vacation. It’s hot. You can hang out on a beach. Game isn’t perfect but it definitely nails “summer beach vacation” - @Derachi

“…sunshine” - @BozPaggs

”Wahoo” - @Mr_No_U

”I mean, c'mon. This is pure summer vibes pressed onto a disc. Exploring a tropical locale brimming with sun and surf, listening to some bopping tunes, trying new things, meeting new people, spending some time in a local jail for a bit of light vandalism, thinking "eh, I can make that jump" and immediately being proven oh so very wrong in a hilarious and slightly painful way. Sunshine is peak "what I did over summer vacation" fun and should be on everyone's summer playing list.” - @BlackthornOrion
___

QDUowog.jpeg

A surprise entry, Streetpass just kind of showed up on our couch and started moaning about how Super Mario Sunshine “sold out”. They chose not to elaborate.

”You actually have to go outside to use it, you lazy pieces [of nice things]. Gamescom is in summer and that was always a Streetpass goldmine. Also you barely play it so you enjoy it the summer, as much as you curse the heat, when the sun sets on your last go on the merry-go-round this planet does, you will ask yourself: Could I have gotten every puzzle piece?” - @jirou

___

AND THE TOURYST!

nAvpMie.jpeg

These strangers can’t help but follow Streetpass around, endlessly pinging their leader with notifications of the same three passerby in its vicinity.

“The whole premise of Ed, Edd n Eddy is a group of friends enjoying their summer by pulling a bunch of scams and going on...Edventures. So it should be celebrated in game form! Honorary mention is the Evangelion game on N64 because of all the cicadas in the anime.” - @Croix22

“It's a game about weird things happening on a summery vacation! You visit several different lil' islands, solve puzzles, take pics, find brochures. You can also play it on every platform, and it runs great on 'em all.” - @big lantern ghost

“I know this will never win, but still this game is peak summer, you got nice colors, a relaxing vibe, chill and joyful music, and a story that is reminiscent of the kind of summer adventures you can get as a teenager. Heck, even the main theme of the game is called "One Summer's Adventure"! How can you not vote for this?” - @Party Sklar

___

NU6NaSa.jpeg

A fan favorite, Wave Race 64 has delighted generations of players with its water physics and sponsored aquatic vehicles. In The Year of The Drake, can Drake Lake claim its stake?

___

IWMpXuT.jpeg

Yep!

___

JLvcmla.jpeg

“This game just felt like BEACH to me when I was a kid. Only one of the sports is beach-themed but most of the others take place on a beach with the ocean visible or in a costal town. Even the levels that don't are still outdoorsy summer sports. The visual depictions of the beachy outdoors along with the groovin music all contribute to an almost Hollywood-ish summer vibe and while it might not be the most well-known game (or have very good gameplay) it was the first thing that came to mind when the suggestion of "summer games" came up. That's right, even more so than Geoff.” - @chocolate_supra

___

IZ5QEz4.jpeg

According to some, this is the best platformer ever made. I don’t know about that, Tim! It has some undeniable seasonal vibes, as can be gleaned from its delightfully oxymoronic name.

“It's about saving the summer vibes on DK Island from the cold Snowmads. Also, Funky Kong and his surfing skills.” - @SilicaKong20XX

___

U4QP4KP.jpeg

The reason your friend was upset about the Diamond and Pearl Remakes joins the fight! I never actually played any of the “definitive” Pokémon games, so I’ll take the nominator’s word for it.

”For a time, until the remakes came out, I played Platinum every Summer without fail, so I associate it with Summer now.” - @EvilChameleon

___

C6eWsFo.jpeg

There’s a different timeline where its sequel gets nominated and promptly booted for being depressing as fuck.

”Wacky ROAD TRIP! Also you visit a beach resort town and the whole game just oozes summer time as a kid with nothing to do in the summer. (Arguably this could also apply to Final Fantasy XV but that's not on Nintendo systems 😭)” - @shoptroll

___

zFWjIjw.jpeg

I have no idea how it took this game so long to surface. Perhaps that’s their strategy? Either way, let’s hear what our spectral friend had to say!

“Splatoon games always feel like they take place in constant Summer vacation as a lot of the levels prominently feature bright, warm sun, vacation-like pool and beach destinations, and a fun adventurous attitude through their graphics and music. The big Splatfests feel like Summer night parties as well. Of the three games, I think the first game in particular best captures Peak Summer vibes so I’m nominating it for the Bash at the Beach!” - @xghost777
___

XusnB4k.jpeg

”What could be more "summer" than getting a mediocre part-time job for a horrible boss, uncovering climate catastrophes, swimming a lot, and egging on queer romances?” - @Suswave

___

FINAL FANTASY X

AND BISHI BASHI!

hnhUyIL.jpeg

”It's minigames, can be played with three people, only needs three big coured buttons and is perfect for both small distractions while enjoying the beach or a big competition under the sun. Plus, you can use the name 'Bishi Bashi at the Beach', it feels kinda right! “ - @7threst

___

WHO WILL EMERGE?

WHO WILL SUBMERGE?

ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE!

VOTE NOW!

AND THANK YOU TO @chocolate_supra FOR MAKING MY MONSTERS AND MY FRIEND, GOOSE, FOR VOICING THE INTRODUCTION VIDEO!

this is THRILLING, thank you!!

It's so exciting hearing someone else shout Grögol Bonanza...

also I swear someone mentioned The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker — so I totally assumed that meant someone had nominated it! I've been primed for a hypothetical showdown between the two, but I guess that's a non-issue!

oh my god I forgot to nominate Cool Spot

OADt1bc.jpeg

I apologize for constantly littering these threads with Twitter shit, but GUYS???

Edit: I guess I can't share Twitter ads, so I used the other version.

Other edit: Guess I can't use that either..... Just gonna QRT it and share it here.

Metroid Dread done. Nintendo you've failed to offer me more metroids before I ended it :(. Let's see how Animal Well or PoP prices are right now...

Still thinking sometimes on my Tears of the Kingdom playthrough.

I spend weeks walking that world warpless, like as if I was walking around the country. God it was such an experience during the first half of the game.

I didn't expect FFX to be the heel type but here we are
I’ve watched my brother play Blitzball for countless hours. You’re lucky it’s just a heel and not something even worse!

this is THRILLING, thank you!!

It's so exciting hearing someone else shout Grögol Bonanza...

also I swear someone mentioned The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker — so I totally assumed that meant someone had nominated it! I've been primed for a hypothetical showdown between the two, but I guess that's a non-issue!

My friend who did the voice doesn’t browse Famiboards and only plays like three games a year. He really delivered on the excitement! It’s a fun name to say!

I was a little surprised by Wind Waker’s disappearance, but this is wrestling and in the business (and this business) a constant refrain is “plans change”. Who knows what will happen next?!

I am astounded that I was the only person to nominate Wave Race 64. I didn't write anything because I wanted to be first!

The first Splatoon is a fantastic nomination. I really prefer the predominantly outdoor, sunny, and industrial stages of that game. Nice job @xghost777

@jirou's StreetPass is an interesting pull to me because as a kid in the rural United States summer vacations were the only way to get Miis. The occasional McDonald's stop would sometimes have some, but wherever we were headed would always have the most. I don't remember ever getting any in a hotel, but it would have been really nice. Oh how I wish I had met the love of my life via StreetPass... unfortunately I went to university in the Switch era... and also I'm me...

some of the nominations make zero sense to me but uh I see no reason to bring specific attention to them

16…uhh…15 GAMES ENTER.

14 GET FED TO…water.

1 SURVIVES.

___

uCHrPGp.jpeg

“…sunshine” - @BozPaggs

”Wahoo” - @Mr_No_U

___

QDUowog.jpeg

___

AND THE TOURYST!

nAvpMie.jpeg

___

NU6NaSa.jpeg

___

IWMpXuT.jpeg

Yep!

___

JLvcmla.jpeg

___

IZ5QEz4.jpeg

___

U4QP4KP.jpeg

___

C6eWsFo.jpeg

___

zFWjIjw.jpeg

___

XusnB4k.jpeg

___

FINAL FANTASY X

AND BISHI BASHI!

hnhUyIL.jpeg

___

WHO WILL EMERGE?

WHO WILL SUBMERGE?

ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE!

VOTE NOW!

Since I was playing Paper Mario I only thought of this after seeing the post

bFkIQwu.gif

oh yeah and last thing:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf was launched in the US 11 years ago today and hooo boy is that my summer game

it was practically all my sister and I did the summer it came out

was playing Mario Party online last night and it only just dawned on me that Paper Mario exists because the development team needed to create a context for using 2D sprites on the 3D-limited N64

AND MY FRIEND, GOOSE
giphy.webp

? ? ?

Took me a minute to get this....

He's made similar jokes himself, sharing articles about AI destroying art and going "I DID WHAAAT??" 🤣

I apologize for constantly littering these threads with Twitter shit, but GUYS???

Edit: I guess I can't share Twitter ads, so I used the other version.

Other edit: Guess I can't use that either..... Just gonna QRT it and share it here.

I found it and I agree ❤️

That Xbox show had all the things it needed to have in it even if a lot wasn't really my thing, but still seemed pretty good.

That said... why is everything so allergic to release dates? So many games are coming "fall 2024"... that's only like 3-4 months away. Surely you can give a release date if it's that close.

gonna be honest, that Xbox show was pretty sweet bordering on incredible and I don't think Nintendo is gonna be able to match it (this years specifically cuz it's the year before the succ and so Im not expecting any of the big guns)

gonna be honest, that Xbox show was pretty sweet bordering on incredible and I don't think Nintendo is gonna be able to match it (this years specifically cuz it's the year before the succ and so Im not expecting any of the big guns)
the problem here is that I read that, and then I double-check the user name, and instinctively I ask myself "is this a bit?"

the problem here is that I read that, and then I double-check the user name, and instinctively I ask myself "is this a bit?"
Hey listen, if someone had told me "MS totally has a real chance of winning not-E3 this year" I would have Tidus-laughed in their faces

don't get me wrong, I ain't buying an Xbox (I'm all about that Switch + PC life) but gotta admit they knocked it out of the park

I am astounded that I was the only person to nominate Wave Race 64. I didn't write anything because I wanted to be first!

The first Splatoon is a fantastic nomination. I really prefer the predominantly outdoor, sunny, and industrial stages of that game. Nice job @xghost777

@jirou's StreetPass is an interesting pull to me because as a kid in the rural United States summer vacations were the only way to get Miis. The occasional McDonald's stop would sometimes have some, but wherever we were headed would always have the most. I don't remember ever getting any in a hotel, but it would have been really nice. Oh how I wish I had met the love of my life via StreetPass... unfortunately I went to university in the Switch era... and also I'm me...

some of the nominations make zero sense to me but uh I see no reason to bring specific attention to them
Here's the thing: I barely got streetpasses on most days. I just went out with my cousin everyday and we StreetPassed each other, got coins, collected puzzles etc. We weren't spending a lot of time in the game itself which is kind of the point.

Back
Top Bottom