• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST23 August 2023 | Things get WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoptroll

Yoshi
Pronouns
he/him
3bksdM4.gif

Hello everyone and welcome to WEIRD’s annual summer enrichment program. I’m happy to lead you all in a month-long guided discussion about a topic near and dear to my heart. Please pull up a carpet square and make sure you’ve signed the attendance sheet that was on the table by the door.

Oh how rude of me! Yes yes, introductions. My name is shoptroll, and I’m one of the assistant researchers at WEIRD. Your friendly staff here at famiboards dot com thought this would be a good opportunity for some community outreach since we tend to not get ou...

… You all know what WEIRD is right? The large facility up in the cliffs overlooking the town that you need to follow the long and twisty road through the forest to get to.

What do you mean you’ve never seen it? No it’s not just some old random hunter’s shack overlooking the view. It’s a legitimate research facility. I swear!

Worldwide Esoteric Iicentric Research Department. Go look it up if you don’t believe me.

Seriously I don’t know where you kids get this stuff from. But I’ve probably said too much already.

Now please, if you all will… take one of these complimentary bananas from the box in front of me. No need to crowd! There’s plenty for everyone! Nn Bobby the banana does not go in your ear, where on earth did you get that idea from?

Now, let’s begin today’s lesson: “Musa Meditation”. Hold the banana in your right hand like so 💁‍♂️ Now… while breathing slowly… contemplate the banana for the next 5 minutes….

/***** About *****/​

Welcome everyone to August! Hopefully you all have survived the scorching heat this summer, or whatever equivalent was so far this winter in the Southern Hemisphere, and are looking forward to cooler/warmer temps and a bit of a lull this month.

Yup, it’s kinda dead out there in terms of the gaming landscape. So I thought this would be a good time to focus on a lower-key aspect of Nintendo: WEIRD NINTENDO.

See, computers are just inherently weird, and as artistic endeavors housed inside these silicon fun houses games are the perfect embodiment of this phenomena. Sure, we may not see it as much these days with computing being serious business and everything is all button-downed and corporate but that creative “anything can happen” spirit of the 80s and 90s still remains if you know where to look for it.

Which brings us to Nintendo. Nintendo, given their history as a toy maker company, I think has never really let go of this spirit. Not that everything they produce is inherently weird, but there is always a drive to surprise the audience and often there is a playful almost whimsical spirit in almost everything they do.

And so… Weird Nintendo is a thing. Seriously, do a search online for “weird Nintendo” and you’ll find plenty of articles, videos, and such about the topic. Some sites like Kotaku even had a CSM tag for it at one point!

This is the time to discuss all the weird things this company has done over the years and will continue to do. Things like bananas, the Mother series, Labo, e-Readers, literal puppet executives, bananas, the list goes on…

So while things are sorta quiet right now ahead of the next Direct, let’s take some time to relax and bask in the weird. Every Friday this month I’ll be posting a discussion prompt about Weird Nintendo for people to respond to as we’ve done in the past. This is completely optional, but I think it’s a great recurring feature of these threads and I wanted to continue with it.

Oh and also Mother 2, the “official” patron saint of Weird Nintendo, celebrates 29 years in our collective consciousness this year and that’s an important game to me so I wanted to highlight it but not make it the complete theme for the month.

/***** Upcoming Releases *****/​

03: Baldur’s Gate III
09: 30XX* (Delayed at last minute)
15: Moving Out 2*
17: Vampire Survivors*
17: Red Dead Redemption*
18: Madden NFL 24
18: Bomb Rush Cyberfunk*
22: Wrestlequest*
24: Blasphemous 2*
25: Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
29: Sea of Stars*
29: Rhapsody: Marl Kingdom Chronicles*
29: Samba de Amigo: Party Central*
31: Trine 5: A Clockwork Conspiracy*

* Designates titles available on Switch

I’m a terrible judge of what’s hot or notable so if I missed anything you think should be on here, drop me a PM and I’ll add it!

/***** Upcoming Events *****/​

03: Nintendo Quarterly Earnings Statement release
03 - 06: GenCon 2023 (Tabletop games are games! Play more tabletop games!)
04 - 06: EVO 2023
08: Pokemon Presents
10 - 12: QuakeCon
11: THQ Nordic Digital Showcase 2023
11 - 13 : Pokemon World Championships
15: Nintendo Direct Speculation thread hosted by @xghost777 opens
23 - 27: GamesCom 2023
27: Happy 29th Birthday Mother 2!

/***** Weekly Questions *****/​

Week 1: How would you personally define "Weird Nintendo"?
Week 2: What’s your favorite Weird Nintendo moment or game?
Week 3: What’s your favorite video game moment that wasn't Nintendo?
Week 4: What’s your favorite memory of the Mother series?

/***** STs of Days Gone By *****/​

|ST Oct 2021| by @mazi
|ST2 Nov 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or… by @Derachi
|ST3 Dec 2021| Topical Threes by @Suswave
|ST4 Jan 2022| Resurrections by @Skittzo
|ST5 Feb 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3 by @Dardan Sandiego
|ST6 Mar 2022| Marchful Mode by @EvilChameleon
|ST7 Apr 2022| Launch Timing Update For ST7 Sequel by @EvilChameleon
|ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8 by @Barely Able
|ST9 June 2022| This is Miyamoto. Have a fun summer! by @Irene
|ST10 July 2022| Julyve A Live by @Plum
|ST11 Aug 2022| Everybody’s 11-12 Discussion Thread by @Legion of Primes
|ST12 Sept 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03 by @xghost777
|ST13 Oct 2022| Our First Famiversary! by @hologram
|ST14 Nov 2022| Comfy And Easy To Wear by @bellydrum
|ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami by @Red Monster
|ST16 Jan 2023| Team Famuary Stays Winning by @chocolate_supra
|ST17 Feb 2023| Octopath Traveling II Directland Deluxe by @SammyJ9
|ST18 March 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month by @Brofield
|ST19 April 2023| A tradition unlike any other by @Josh5890
|ST20 May 2023| Every Teardrop is a Waterfall by @Irene
|ST21 June 2023| Welcome to Famipark! by @Party Sklar
ST22 Jully 2023| PIKMINVASION by @famicorpse

/***** Upcoming Claims *****/​

ST24 September 2023 @Barely Able
ST25 October 2023 @VolcanicDynamo (or a month when a potential 3D Mario is announced)
ST26 November 2023 unclaimed
ST27 December 2023 unclaimed
ST?? Sometimes 2024-ish @Aurc (Metroid month)

/***** Special Thanks *****/​

@EvilChameleon and @chocolate_supra for suggesting an alternate idea when I was sick which I ended up not using (someone else should totally take it though!)
https://www.earthboundtext.com/ (Bill Eger) for the Earthbound Text generator
https://fontmeme.com/keep-calm/ for the Keep Calm Generator
https://www.hiclipart.com for the banana silhouette
You for reading

/***** And Remember *****/​

KcJt9gX.png

Last edited:
Y'all ready for that sweet September Direct next month?
I didn't add it to the events list because I wasn't 100% sure if it's going forward, but I thought I had read there was a plan for a speculation thread to appear at some point this month.

A month and a half until the MP4 re-reveal
I'm not sure whether I should make a "trust the process" thread for the potential September Direct. What do you all think? I've found the previous couple entertaining, but I feel like they may annoy people if I keep making them for each Direct. I guess Yeah! this post if you're in favor of keeping the forum processganda alive.

I'm not sure whether I should make a "trust the process" thread for the potential September Direct. What do you all think? I've found the previous couple entertaining, but I feel like they may annoy people if I keep making them for each Direct. I guess Yeah! this post if you're in favor of keeping the forum processganda alive.

I feel like it has to be done, it's part of the process after all

I forgot Gamescom was this month. Who's ready for another Keighly Opening Night Live????

This has to be the month we get a Fantasy Life i release date, right???

Right???

I'm losing hope that it's coming this year :(

I’ve been doing some moving stuff around in my area, finally got a desk set up so I have to put a computer there, right? Well I only really got the laptop, so I set up my Steam Deck as my TV PC. While the docked setup isn’t anywhere near as seamless as Switch, I’m starting to get used to it, and it’s pretty nice to have a plug and play PC. I can also stream some of the more difficult stuff from my laptop if I have to.

Wait, so if SMB Wonder is coming to Gamescom, that probably means we're looking at a new trailer soon.
Yeah, there should be a blowout about the game this month. I have so many questions need to be answered. Like, is Yoshi playable by itself for the whole game? Or were those Yoshi gameplay from special stages?

Yeah, there should be a blowout about the game this month. I have so many questions need to be answered. Like, is Yoshi playable by itself for the whole game? Or were those Yoshi gameplay from special stages?
I'm not sure about a full blowout. We're still three months out and have another Direct for that (unless we don't get one....). However, I'd be surprised if we didn't get a small trailer.

New thread smell, woo! A superb job well done @shoptroll! Now let's get weird.

~~~

@Magic-Man I couldn't reply in time but I saw the tweet you shared about Angus Cloud. His passing is incredibly tragic and at such a young age of 25. From everything the news outlets are alluding too, you never know what someone is going through so a reminder to always tell your friends and family and chosen family that you love them ❤️

I rarely hang in the general thread, but well done @shoptroll
Well, hopefully this proves to be a catalyst for you to hang out here more in the future 😋 I do miss your insightful posts, but truthfully putting hardware thread on ignore has been one of the best decisions I did for myself to stop getting so worked up over nothing haha

X

That’s it, that’s the post
Retweeted-posted

Well, hopefully this proves to be a catalyst for you to hang out here more in the future 😋 I do miss your insightful posts, but truthfully putting hardware thread on ignore has been one of the best decisions I did for myself to stop getting so worked up over nothing haha
I wish I had your strength

I wish I had your strength
Trust me, it wavers. I've heard secondhand what goes on in there these days though, and it's just enough to keep me out.

Regardless I'll be too damn happy when the next console is announced/released just to be free of the circular speculation topics haha

I check the hardware thread whenever I want to ask the same question about the price/backwards compatibility/release date.

Great ST @shoptroll!

Been working through Oracle of Ages and I'm starting to feel a little fatigued by it. It doesn't feel as intuitive as Zelda games normally do, or maybe it's just me, but either way, I find myself having to play in shorter bursts. I still like it, mind you, but it's not in any danger of cracking my top five at this point.

What’s this about Mario Wonder at Gamescom? I thought there was a whole thread about how Nintendo was just bringing old shit.

Awesome ST @shoptroll ! Going to be a fun, weird month here.

Most excited for Rhapsody (it’s on Switch!), Armored Core VI, and Sea of Stars this month and I’m eager to give Vampire Survivors a try when it hits Switch. Also yes, by 11:59PM on August 15 Pacific Time Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread ST6 will arrive on Famiboards! It’s going to be hype :) @Aurc there may be something Metroid there, #trusttheprocess :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom