• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST23 August 2023 | Things get WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I finally worked out the long-gestating terms of my raise and new benefits with my boss after being at this film production company for 3 years without any uptick in perks or money. Feels really good to kick off a new month like this, especially after a weekend at the beach :)

idk, a research-related summer camp overseen by someone wearing Rusty Venture’s face makes me verrrry nervous!

primo ST @shoptroll, may the weird be ever at your back

Hey everybody! I’m pumped to be in the new thread and to enjoy another month of speculation with you all! I haven’t been very active on Fami this year compared to 2022 which is a shame, but I’ve become so mind-numbingly busy with new jobs and lots of classes that it’s been hard to actually post in the forums. I’m here a lot to read what everyone’s saying, so I’m not gone completely!

I’ll try to be more active in the forum this month, but I can’t promise anything. I had a great time as a more active member of the community last year and I’d love to go back to that, but only time will tell.

In the meantime, let’s get the hype train a-rolling on the inevitably impending September Direct!

Also I accidentally started a new playthrough of Elden Ring on my Steam Deck so I’ve been playing a lot of that
I have almost done this multiple times but I have firmly decided that I’m waiting for the DLC. I want to keep things as fresh as I can for when that drops.

Err… anybody want a peanut?
For some reason I'm more in the mood for a:
EZDnbuv.gif

I’m currently ill, hormonal, and hence painkillered up and just got slightly weepy in the shower thinking about how inventive the gameplay mechanics in The World Ends With You for the Nintendo DS family of systems are.

Wanted to tell strangers instead of my girlfriend, who will think it’s so cute she’ll never let me forget it.

Assuming ng Switch is holiday next year like VGC/EG seems to think we're at roughly this era of the Wii U (roughly 15 months, give or take a few weeks from launch of next system)

Xenoblade Chronicles X
Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival
Mario Tennis Ultra Smash

Did you still play your Wii U at the time of these games?

I used my Wii U still, but after XCX it was really sporadic

Assuming ng Switch is holiday next year like VGC/EG seems to think we're at roughly this era of the Wii U (roughly 15 months, give or take a few weeks from launch of next system)

Xenoblade Chronicles X
Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival
Mario Tennis Ultra Smash

Did you still play your Wii U at the time of these games?

I used my Wii U still, but after XCX it was really sporadic
I played my Wii U up to the end with Color Splash. I had finished most of my games by then, but I still had I think four Wii U specific games left when Switch launched. I’m still wrapping up my final Wii U Virtual Console backlog this year (9 down this year so far, 4 to go!) to fully retire the console.

I won’t be remotely close to finishing my Switch backlog whenever Switch 2 hits lol.

Finally finished Persona 5 Royal after basically playing it nonstop for a month. Some quibbles aside it's a great enhancement of the original and I'm glad I got to finally play it as it was perfect for Switch and I didn't want to spend another 100+ hours playing this on my PS4.

Now... I'm thinking Ace Combat 7. Will be my first game in the series, got it on sale on Steam. Want a short action game after a 132 hour JRPG.

Hopefully August will have better news than July, when Pikmin 5, Metroid 6 and backwards compatibility on new hardware were all ruled out.

kidding. Or am I...?

03: Baldur’s Gate III
08: Wrestlequest*
09: 30XX*
15: Moving Out 2
17: Vampire Survivors*
18: Madden NFL 24
24: Blasphemous 2*
25: Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
29: Sea of Stars*
29: Rhapsody: Marl Kingdom Chronicles
31: Trine 5: A Clockwork Conspiracy*

* Designates titles available on Switch
Moving Out 2 and Rhapsody are also coming to Switch!

I played my Wii U up to the end with Color Splash. I had finished most of my games by then, but I still had I think four Wii U specific games left when Switch launched. I’m still wrapping up my final Wii U Virtual Console backlog this year (9 down this year so far, 4 to go!) to fully retire the console.

I won’t be remotely close to finishing my Switch backlog whenever Switch 2 hits lol.

I still have a few games left in the backlog, StarFox Guard and Paper Mario.. otherwise I am pretty much done I think, it's still hooked up in the household though - my daughter still use it :>

Yeah, the backlog when NSW2 hits is going to be crazy :>

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I didn't play as much Pikmin as I wanted this weekend, but man, how is this game so perfect?

Been playing Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition again recently.

Think it has a claim to be the best Wii U to Switch port in terms of enhancements and also a wildly underrated game that deserves a sequel. The crossover, and fan service stuff is too good.

Also holy shit, apparently UE4 defaults most of your textures to 16k max (i.e. 16000x16000 textures). I just learned how to easily limit that to 1024 (or lower in some cases) and rebuilt my project, went from 13.4GB to 2.5GB instantly. And it looks basically the same.

4k and 8k textures are so ridiculously huge for virtually no noticeable gain. Crazy.

Last edited:
Also holy shit, apparently UE4 defaults most of your textures to 16k max (i.e. 16000x16000 textures). I just learned how to easily limit that to 1024 (or lower in some cases) and rebuilt my project, went from 13.4GB to 2.5GB instantly. And it looks basically the same.

4k and 8k textures are so ridiculously huge for virtually no noticeable gain. Crazy.
That sounds like a huge thing lmao. I wonder how often that fact slips by devs

That sounds like a huge thing lmao. I wonder how often that fact slips by devs
Oh I doubt it slips by most devs, I'm sure the reason I just happened upon it is because I really don't know what I'm doing. I have no real training in this, I'm just sorta learning as I go.

But from the googling I did it seems like the tech/engineer devs often poke fun at the fact that the artists will provide them with 8k or 16k textures. Like, "gee thanks, more stuff for me to manually compress".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom