• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST23 August 2023 | Things get WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of what we know about the DLC came from the reveal back in Feb, which was just the premise. The last Direct had basically nothing
Yeah I expect them to be that small. We didn't even get a preorder region pokΓ©mon like Galarian Slowpoke so I'm keeping my expectations low.

Especially the second expansion, Indigo Disk, looks nothing more than a Safari zone addition with a legendary pokΓ©mon in it. I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't expect to be.

SOVEREIGN
PROTAGONIST
c’mon, get real

it would be called

π’πŽπ•π„π‘π„πˆπ†π
ππ‘πŽπ“π€π†πŽπ

College football conference realignment is so stupid. Just contradictory rumors everywhere. With all these money grabs happening, time to pay the players.

I loved that movie. I never saw any FF movie after I think 7 or 8. But just looked up if Twinkie and Sean make a return in the series and they do in F9. Reading up that plot of the movie is so ridiculous and hilarious I now must watch the rest of the movies lol.
The plot is ridiculous but the scene with the return of the Tokyo Drift guys was so good. Earl (their computer genius guy) is there too! Although it was a little wild seeing Jason Tobin play Earl again after his role in Warrior is so cemented in my head. πŸ˜…

But yeah, it was a big deal for me to see them back in the series again. I'm actually shocked they weren't brought back in 10. Although since 10 is a 2-parter, I guess there's still a chance they'll pop up in the finale.

College football conference realignment is so stupid. Just contradictory rumors everywhere. With all these money grabs happening, time to pay the players.
I just drove to Iowa City, home of one of the westernmost Big 10 schools, from Colorado. That was an 11 hour drive and a dramatic change in climate.

Now, add a dozen or so hours to that for UCLA and USC. Then think about what it would be like for Washington or Oregon.

Dumb.

I ended up giving in to curiosity and downloading Baldur's Gate 3. But now I am struck by choice paralysis.

Someone, please, tell me what race and class to choose. I beg of you.

I ended up giving in to curiosity and downloading Baldur's Gate 3. But now I am struck by choice paralysis.

Gnome Barbarian, the "Badger". They use a badger skin cape to strike fear in the hearts of their enemies!

You could go uber cliche and be a drow ranger

Play an origin character.

Nice, done with Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order! I enjoyed it much, much more than I initially anticipated. Really good game. (Some technical issues here and there on PC, and the story telling / pacing wasn't always 100% on point, but overall I'm really happy with what I got to experience here.) Great length, too. Didn't quite 100% it, but clocked in at around 30h now, with only a few chests / secrets left (like 1-2 on most planets).

I do wonder how much heavy lifting the Star Wars setting and theme did in the end for me.

I just drove to Iowa City, home of one of the westernmost Big 10 schools, from Colorado. That was an 11 hour drive and a dramatic change in climate.

Now, add a dozen or so hours to that for UCLA and USC. Then think about what it would be like for Washington or Oregon.

Dumb.
Yeah. At least for Washington, Seattle is basically as far away from everyone as possible. Minnesota is closer than the Big12 teams which was the other option since there was no way the PAC was solvent (and even then LA and AZ aren’t exactly close). But people are in for a rude awakening getting to Eugene. No direct flights and then have to go to Portland and drive 2 hours. At least for UW you could land at the airport in the morning, light Rail to the stadium and get out literally at the main gate, then go back and catch a red eye.

But the whole thing sucks. NCAA or the schools should have had some foresight and split football into its own thing. Then kept the regional conferences for everything else.

Nice, done with Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order! I enjoyed it much, much more than I initially anticipated. Really good game. (Some technical issues here and there on PC, and the story telling / pacing wasn't always 100% on point, but overall I'm really happy with what I got to experience here.) Great length, too. Didn't quite 100% it, but clocked in at around 30h now, with only a few chests / secrets left (like 1-2 on most planets).

I do wonder how much heavy lifting the Star Wars setting and theme did in the end for me.
Very nice! I know for me, the Star Wars setting and characters did a LOT. While the plot itself and some of the pacing and honestly the gameplay weren't always all that great, this game just really FELT like Star Wars in a way that I hadn't felt in a while. Lot of ways it could be improved, but it was a fun, fairly quick game with some great Star Wars atmosphere.

Yeah. At least for Washington, Seattle is basically as far away from everyone as possible. Minnesota is closer than the Big12 teams which was the other option since there was no way the PAC was solvent (and even then LA and AZ aren’t exactly close). But people are in for a rude awakening getting to Eugene. No direct flights and then have to go to Portland and drive 2 hours. At least for UW you could land at the airport in the morning, light Rail to the stadium and get out literally at the main gate, then go back and catch a red eye.

But the whole thing sucks. NCAA or the schools should have had some foresight and split football into its own thing. Then kept the regional conferences for everything else.
And, on top of all of that...can you picture Oregon playing Big 10 football week in and week out? Those poor ducks...

Argonian Maid. Wait that’s Skyrim

Guess who drowned at pools! This person!

In other news, I got to try Project L. As someone who sucks at fighting games but plays them all the time. I enjoyed it. Though I’m probably not the best to convince people whether this game will take off or not.

Very nice! I know for me, the Star Wars setting and characters did a LOT. While the plot itself and some of the pacing and honestly the gameplay weren't always all that great, this game just really FELT like Star Wars in a way that I hadn't felt in a while. Lot of ways it could be improved, but it was a fun, fairly quick game with some great Star Wars atmosphere.
First game I've completed in quite a while, so it does indeed feel pretty good getting to the finish line, haha.
I think your take is pretty much on point for me as well. Feeling wise it reminded me of the times I used to watch the first six movies as a kid and later as a teenager, always with this special sense of ... well, Star Wars. Desperation vs hope, giving in to the dark side vs staying on the sometimes rockier 'good' path, friendship, some space magic, etc. It's nothing special when you tear through its themes, but it just feels familiar and even kinda cozy when they pull it off. And often enough it's those simple(r) thematical aspects speaking to me, especially when life itself is stressful all on its own.
Fallen Order executes this balance really well, I'd say, and god damn is the music good, too. I never questioned the OST being Star Wars music. They fuckin' nailed the sound design. Perfectly complements the atmosphere imo. Great job.

I'll also say that the level design stays rather strong throughout, with only a few minor disappointments. Combat and other mechanics don't evolve too much, though, and even on the second highest difficulty never reach the same satisfaction or feeling as From's output. The highest difficulty on the other hand was nothing but frustrating to me, so I dropped it back down again. Certainly some room for improvement there.

I should consider the first game on sale sometime
It's one of French Bread's best but animation really puts me off. It's like few frames per second, like some of the modern animes. Other hand drawn 2D fighters are much smoother in that regard, like KoF13 or Arcana Heart.

And, on top of all of that...can you picture Oregon playing Big 10 football week in and week out? Those poor ducks...
The 4 PAC teams likely will have the better skill players and QBs (excluding OSU) but we don’t get the linemen out here like the Big 10 teams. Will probably get eaten alive in the trenches over a whole season.

It's one of French Bread's best but animation really puts me off. It's like few frames per second, like some of the modern animes. Other hand drawn 2D fighters are much smoother in that regard, like KoF13 or Arcana Heart.
That doesn’t bug me, I watch ton of modern anime XD. Tho I hear it’s very good at onboarding you gameplay wise

Finally got this after missing the promo sales for a couple of weeks now

With shipping and tax it's a bit more expensive but still less than $40 all in

the next game from the ZeroRanger studio comes out on September 1st:

you can't tell from this trailer (here's an earlier one) but it's a sokoban-style puzzle game (one of the purest video game genres) that seems to have some interesting stuff going on beneath the surface (as I understand ZeroRanger does). I really want to play it!! Windows-only for now but I'm hopeful it or their last game will see a mac or switch version someday

and tangential to the above post: is there room & interest here for something like an indie game ST? especially for stuff that isn't necessarily on switch? I know some of the bigger indie games get plenty of discussion but there's a lot of stuff that slips below the surface that it might be nice to have a space for. at the same time, I understand the size and focus of this forum just might not make it the place for discussion around those sorts of games. the monthly eshop threads aren't even nearly as active as they were on era a few years back. and I'm not sure I'm tuned into the itch.io scene & related spaces enough these days to sustain an ST like that on my own.

but I'd love to hear if anyone has interest or any other thoughts! edit: ok I suppose I’ve got my answer lmao

Last edited:
Update on this:
Anyone else had a bit of a crappy day?

Today I failed at putting a screen protector on properly.

Twice.

Now I've had to order another pack of screen protectors as the two I tried today are useless.
Today has been a much better day!

I succeeded in putting on the new screen protector first try. Didn't even have to squeeze out any stubborn bubbles!

Also watched perhaps the strangest duology of films since Barbenheimer: Paddington 2... and Saw. The former’s been on my watchlist for a long while, and I watched the latter in prep for the new one this year. Gotta say the mood whiplash going from a gritty low-budget horror where no one gets a happy ending to one of the most wholesome films of all time was very strong, but I enjoyed both of them nonetheless. And yes, I did cry at the end of Paddington 2 don’t @ me.

Maybe I have become embittered, but I’m getting a bit tired of Devolver’s Β« look we’re a part of this industry but we also make fun of it ! Β» shtick. They’re a multimillion dollar company listed on the stock exchange now, it’s pretty weird to make themselves look as if they’re a punk and rogue video game company. And the fact that a lot of companies communicate like that nowadays doesn’t help. Although the presentation with Suda in 2022 was pretty fun, I have to reckon, but that was mostly because of Suda.

Sorry if it sounds a bit negative. Still like a lot of the games they publish though !

Relevant:

^ Very important; very life-changing too.

I'm serious. You should watch it.

...It's a minute and ten seconds long.

Runs away.

If I hadn't just bought a hoodie, this would have been my next one. The more gorgeous green I have ever seen.

So, funny story. I am wearing my Splatoon Zelda t-shirt and I’ve gotten asked for a picture 5 times. This shirt is paying dividends.

Weekly Question #1​

How would you personally define "Weird Nintendo"?
πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡
11b.png

I'm not all that excited for a Pokemon Presents since it'll probably not be showing anything major, but it is going to be the first event leading into the late August/September autumn news season, so that's exciting in and of itself. I can't wait for the TGS RPG direct!

Just wrapped up this guy, really impressed overall, only 3 stickers. Need to find my Gundam markers to add the fingernails tho XD. Lots of spots that would’ve used undergating if it was newer tho. Giant contact points on the cape were a pain tho. Will do more pics after my next build of my current stuff, it’s about time I did a box build and consolidation.

IMG_7063.jpg

IMG_7060.jpg

It also came with super Saiyan hair for Gohan XD.
I'm not all that excited for a Pokemon Presents since it'll probably not be showing anything major, but it is going to be the first event leading into the late August/September autumn news season, so that's exciting in and of itself. I can't wait for the TGS RPG direct!

Only thing I would care about is if it drops PokΓ©mon stadium 2 on NSO so it’s finally out of the way so I can get the rest of the n64 games I care about

Weekly Question #1​

How would you personally define "Weird Nintendo"?

Meant to post this earlier today but didn't have time
Pre-sticker star Mario rpgs, at least from personal experience. Or Reggie's lasers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom