• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST23 August 2023 | Things get WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG-6786.jpg

Does anyone have a recommendation for a (cheap) external SSD to run PC games on? Baldur's Gate 3 is taking up all but 5GB of my C drive atm and the 5.4k rpm HDD I have isn't gonna cut it.

Well this sucks, my power is possibly down till 2 am tomorrow. Good thing my switch and 2ds are charged. Either will start something low draw or maybe I’ll finally go back to advance wars

cue conservatives boycotting Mario in 3... 2... 1...

They already liked Wario:

• Questionable wealth but flaunts like they are über rich
  • Probably anti union
  • Definitely makes it seem like he’s smarter than he is based on other people’s good ideas.
  • Prefers gas guzzling vehicles so isn’t a fan of “the fake climate crisis”

Weekly Question #4
Final weekly question time!

Weekly Question #4: With Mother 2's anniversary upon us, what's your favorite memory of the Mother series?​

Also, it's come to management's attention that last week's question was incorrect due to a hastily made copy+paste error. The offending parties have been appropriately disciplined and we are very sorry for this mishap.

Now if you all will remove any glasses you're wearing and stare at this little pen shaped device I have in my hand right here...

Weekly Question #3: What’s your favorite WEIRD video game moment that wasn't Nintendo?​

Weekly Question #4: With Mother 2's anniversary upon us, what's your favorite memory of the Mother series?​

I've sadly never played the Mother series so I guess my favorite memory of it is Undertale

Weekly Question #3: What’s your favorite WEIRD video game moment that wasn't Nintendo?​

This commercial:

Also, it's come to management's attention that last week's question was incorrect due to a hastily made copy+paste error. The offending parties have been appropriately disciplined and we are very sorry for this mishap.

Now if you all will remove any glasses you're wearing and stare at this little pen shaped device I have in my hand right here...

My favorite moment of the Mother games was definitely seeing my older brother take on the final boss. I forgot a few of the details when I finally replayed the game, but the broad strokes of the party having to become robots and ultimately praying to defeat the final boss always stuck with me.

I played both Beginnings and Earthbound myself earlier this year and my favorite stretch from my own playthroughs was definitely Dungeon Man!

Speaking of Florida...I was playing Street Fighter 2 earlier and it looks like Guile is from Florida or at least stationed in Florida? The wiki doesn't say where he's from besides US but it looks like Florida to me.

Blasphemous 2 is pretty great so far, still excellent pixel art and music with already more combat variety even early on. Few things make you go “Euughh that is horrifying and gross and yet somehow awesome” more than the enemy and character designs in these games.

9WrcD4T.png

4th person stole starfield copies and sold'em on mercari
The whole Starfield leak saga has been wild. Dude steals a bunch of copies, uploads badly shot footage of him playing terribly, sells a few copies before getting arrested. Then someone who bought one gets it, brags loudly on Twitter about how they're not going to get caught and proceeds to detail their plan, only to be foiled because the disc doesn't have the full game on it and they're too scared to go online.

Me looking at the inbox: Notice of Price Change for Nintendo Switch Online individual membership (MX) = :mad:
Me when looking how much the price changed: Old price: MX$500.00 New price: MX$399.00 = :)

Looks like we are getting a new trailer for Good Feel's goemon style game next week.

Speaking of vampires...

I'm working through S5 of Buffy (about halfway through), although I am still enjoying it, this is a show that would be hard to recommend to someone nowadays not just due to its length and uneven quality, but all of its baggage due to dated tropes and Whedon. It is interesting from a historical standpoint to be sure, and can be enjoyed that way. It does make me nostalgic for the days of campy MOTW shows. I wouldn't still be watching it if I wasn't enjoying myself, but I know my tastes and what I like and those are certainly not gonna be universal, and other shows have built off of Buffy in fresh ways in the last 25 years.

If someone absolutely wanted to watch this show, I would probably recommend just watching the first 3 seasons unless they really loved those and couldn't stop themselves from watching more. They form a nice little 3 act structure and tie up its own storyline pretty well. S4/5 are definitely more spotty in comparison, and everyone has primed me that 6 and 7 are the worst seasons, so we will see how that goes lol

Speaking of vampires...

I'm working through S5 of Buffy (about halfway through), although I am still enjoying it, this is a show that would be hard to recommend to someone nowadays not just due to its length and uneven quality, but all of its baggage due to dated tropes and Whedon. It is interesting from a historical standpoint to be sure, and can be enjoyed that way. It does make me nostalgic for the days of campy MOTW shows. I wouldn't still be watching it if I wasn't enjoying myself, but I know my tastes and what I like and those are certainly not gonna be universal, and other shows have built off of Buffy in fresh ways in the last 25 years.

If someone absolutely wanted to watch this show, I would probably recommend just watching the first 3 seasons unless they really loved those and couldn't stop themselves from watching more. They form a nice little 3 act structure and tie up its own storyline pretty well. S4/5 are definitely more spotty in comparison, and everyone has primed me that 6 and 7 are the worst seasons, so we will see how that goes lol
6 and 7 are much better than 4 imo. But even the weaker seasons have some real standout episodes

6 and 7 are much better than 4 imo. But even the weaker seasons have some real standout episodes
The villain of 4 was really bad (I heard Walsh was supposed to be the villain but her actress had scheduling conflicts which makes a lot of sense), but I feel they really nailed the awkwardness of the first year of college alongside some fun one-offs so I still liked it. I'm also a sucker for dream episodes and the final episode of S4 was perfect for that. Regardless, I'll keep an open mind for 6/7.

5's introduction of Dawn just feels like the classic "introduce a gimmicky new character to get ratings" grab. Honestly, she kind of reminds me of Chibiusa from Sailor Moon of all characters (I've joked before that Angel was Tuxedo Mask, so this analogy maybe doesn't work completely).

Question 4:

Never played Mother 1 or Mother 3. Played Earthbound and beat it. But I think the final boss in earthbound is the most memorable for me. Scary, I think the screen would say “you cannot grasp the true form of Giygas’s attack” (?). But then the praying and music kicks in. Very memorable boss fight.

I don’t have any experience with the Mother series…

I’m secretly hoping that I can find a reasonably priced copy of Mother 3 in Japan. If it’s boxed, great. If not, I’ll take cart only too.

Hard to pick a single thing from it but Mother 3 is a top 10 video game ever for me, and i've played many games.

If i had to pick something specifically i'd say The brotherly relation between Lucas and Klaus is incredibly well done, reminding us that we should treasure our family as much as we can.

Favorite Earthbound moment is Moonside. In Mother 1, I enjoyed the early introduction to Magicant, but I didn't get super far into that game.

Well, powers still out. Could be till 3pm. My fridge stuff is dead, wish I had thought to put it in the freezer. Well thankfully it’s just 2 packs of sausages, a pack of sliced cheese and an eighth a wedge of cheese. My freezer stuff should still be fine, but I’ll probably take it with me when I go over to my grandparents and toss it in the deep freeze(their power is still on but they’ve been staying with us). (For ref, fridge is good for 4 hours power out, half full freezer 24, full 48)

Looks like we are getting a new trailer for Good Feel's goemon style game next week.

Do we know if this will be localized or is it hope someone translates it in 10 years.

Obviously, as someone who themed an entire General Discussion ST after The Price Is Right, this is a truly sad day.
Rest in peace to the STAR of The Price Is Right.
bobbow.gif

So what IS the Famiboards app?

I have this strange feeling of trepidation that keeps me from clicking.
It's not reeaaally an app, it's a thing that places a bookmark link on your phone and opens the site in a stripped-down web browser window, sorta simulating the look of an app. IIRC it's a feature of Xenforo, not something Fami built.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom