• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST23 August 2023 | Things get WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I just had something very weird happen. I turned on my Switch, but instead of showing the menu screen is the screen was just black/dark blue. Not the same tint as when it's turned off. I could still interact with it, because I was able to summon the little side menu bar by holding down home. I then turned the Switch fully off and then back on and thankfully things are back to normal now. But does anyone know what that was? What caused it? Will it happen again? How can I prevent it? Please answer would be appreciated

Oh I doubt it slips by most devs, I'm sure the reason I just happened upon it is because I really don't know what I'm doing. I have no real training in this, I'm just sorta learning as I go.

But from the googling I did it seems like the tech/engineer devs often poke fun at the fact that the artists will provide them with 8k or 16k textures. Like, "gee thanks, more stuff for me to manually compress".
That's funny because typically I ask for audio files in a lossless format (WAV) when I'm mixing for clients. Although I could see 8K or 16k textures being unrealistically enormous for any use.

Hello there.
General Kenobi!!!!

Hnnng, sequel to one of best Sandlot games ever! And best EDF title period.

Before anyone questions the chances of localization: it's likely. The other EDF late port titles didn't get localized as other publishers still hold the rights for them (XSEED being problematic again...). This new subseries are all D3 and just like first World Brothers game, sequel is likely to get localized.

ScreenShot00007.png
Adding this book to my wishlist on Amazon.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

I didn't play as much Pikmin as I wanted this weekend, but man, how is this game so perfect?
holy shit I missed this???? I uh

damn

that sucks a lot, iโ€™m sorry

also I have been a little more absent from the hallowed General Discussion lately in favor of one-off shitposts abroad and screaming into a bucket

but Iโ€™ll try a little harder this month!

including, if the thread gods do not deem me cringe, mild updates on my game (and less mild updates on my gameโ€™s music)

what say ye?

Hnnng, sequel to one of best Sandlot games ever! And best EDF title period.

Before anyone questions the chances of localization: it's likely. The other EDF late port titles didn't get localized as other publishers still hold the rights for them (XSEED being problematic again...). This new subseries are all D3 and just like first World Brothers game, sequel is likely to get localized.
What is even up with XSeed and the west not getting late ports?

Is it the publishing rights changing hands and them still holding rights for the localisations?

What other series does it affect other than Trails and Ys?

With Ys it seemed to also be a thing of Falcon not wanting to fund Switch ports themselves back then, so NISA had to do it.
And then XSeed didn't seem to have the budget for ports like that.

also I have been a little more absent from the hallowed General Discussion lately in favor of one-off shitposts abroad and screaming into a bucket

including, if the thread gods do not deem me cringe, mild updates on my game (and less mild updates on my gameโ€™s music)

what say ye?
Yeah!/Yahaha!

The new thread topic reminds me of the student who ate the banana taped to the wall at the Art Basel and basically just shrugged and said he was hungry.

Shit, can't believe it's August already. Nice ST though, OP :)

This year's just flown by for me. Mostly cause I have just been so damn tired (physically and mentally) all the time. It's the reason I've not been posting here as much, or been as present in any Discords I'm in. I'm kinda just taking things as easily as possible, even if I should probably be doing more than that lol

The new thread topic reminds me of the student who ate the banana taped to the wall at the Art Basel and basically just shrugged and said he was hungry.

I applauded this person. But i'm also in a "Is that art or can it be removed" stance to a lot of modern "art".

Looks like this LK-99 room temperature superconductor might be the real deal. It's been corroborated and replicated a few times and it's apparently legit, though not quite able to carry much current yet. But if they've actually cracked RT superconductivity then purity/refinement is going to happen very, very quickly.

did you know they made a death metal korok

Ya ha nahh

what say ye?
It's Grรถgoling time

I applauded this person. But i'm also in a "Is that art or can it be removed" stance to a lot of modern "art".
Honestly I went to the Tate Modern a few months ago and, whilst there were some amazing pieces there, I couldn't help but feel that a lot of modern art is just the capitalist class' way of trolling us. Yes, it's art, but trolling is also a art. It's just that a meme claiming "umadbro," isn't backed by the same powers and means that a modern art piece asking "isthisartbro?" is.

Looks like this LK-99 room temperature superconductor might be the real deal. It's been corroborated and replicated a few times and it's apparently legit, though not quite able to carry much current yet. But if they've actually cracked RT superconductivity then purity/refinement is going to happen very, very quickly.

Finally.
unlimited-power.gif

Honestly I went to the Tate Modern a few months ago and, whilst there were some amazing pieces there, I couldn't help but feel that a lot of modern art is just the capitalist class' way of trolling us. Yes, it's art, but trolling is also a art. It's just that a meme claiming "umadbro," isn't backed by the same powers and means that a modern art piece asking "isthisartbro?" is.

I know art's supposed to be subjective ... but i sometimes just don't get it.

There's a little boy here in Germany, dunno, 10, or 12 or something, and apparently he's a "famous" artist.
All he does is randomly throwing color on canvases.

And all i can think of is me asking myself "What's the difference between my two younger kids doing that and him?".

What is even up with XSeed and the west not getting late ports?

Is it the publishing rights changing hands and them still holding rights for the localisations?

What other series does it affect other than Trails and Ys?

With Ys it seemed to also be a thing of Falcon not wanting to fund Switch ports themselves back then, so NISA had to do it.
And then XSeed didn't seem to have the budget for ports like that.
Yeah they still hold the publishing rights in west and that include earlier Trails games, such as Cold Steel 1-2. They're still available on PSN for PS3 and Vita. Since the ports are pretty much 1:1 releases we don't get all those Switch ports.

This could be a different situation with Ys Memorie Oath in Felghana. The Switch re-release is different enough for NISA to get the localization deal. We hope.

what say ye?
I elect to speak for all assembled when I say we all want more communication from the abyss.

Wait what?!โ€ฆ. Iโ€™d rather have the ports of the old games release on switch in the west tho

I shared the news a few posts above you ;)

And, as I said, you're not getting the ports of old games on Switch because of XSEED. Even Atlus caved in and gave up their translation & rights on Dept. Heaven but XSEED is still problematic.

The next Switch lacking OLED would be a bummer, but I'm gonna need Nintendo to stick with a white option so that my Nintendo system and my Xbox Series S still match and look kinda neat either side of my TV.

Xenoblade Chronicles X
Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival
Mario Tennis Ultra Smash

Did you still play your Wii U at the time of these games?

I used my Wii U still, but after XCX it was really sporadic
Absolutely. Played the hell outta Xenoblade X, then FAST Racing Neo, then discovered and played through basically the whole Shantae series up to 1/2 Genie Hero, then BotW, then went through a backlog of indies, then re-played BotW after feeling a bit homesick for it the next year.. and I think it was maybe 2021ish that I replayed Xenoblade X. I actually tried to fire it up for more Xenoblade X last year but that's when I discovered it had that disc read error that prevents the system from booting. Otherwise I woulda still been playing my WiiU last year.

That probably wasn't really your question though ๐Ÿ˜…

What the hell?!
What da-!?

rebuilt my project, went from 13.4GB to 2.5GB instantly.
Holy shit, you Nier Automata'ed it

what say ye?
I say yiis

New month, new thread!!
Some thoughts about August:
  • yesterday CESA White Papers were released in Japanese retailers, so it's a matter of time until someone spill the beans;
  • Nintendo's FY Q4 results... Tomorrow?!?! Can't wait to see how many hardware units were sold and how crazy was the first quarter of TotK. Also wanna se the Mario Movie effect on Mario games sales. Wish Odyssey would get to a million but that's probably not happening;
  • Friday is my birthday!!!
  • I predict Nintendo will announce a game for September this month. Why wasn't it at the June Direct? For the same reason why Ring Fit Adventure wasn't. It's a more casual appealing title that will benefit for getting a spotlight for itself. Ring Fit 2? Might be saved for Drake, but maybe they see value in getting it in the last year of the Switch with the insane install base? Tomodachi something? Switch Sports Resort would be a dream case scenario, with an open world Wuhu Island;
  • I also predict they'll release a new trailer for Super Mario Bros. Wonder just before gamescom. A story trailer or something? A short trailer that is very good, but they'll leave the blowout/overview for September Direct;
  • Pokรฉmon Presents is apparently coming next week so let's hope Detective Pikachu received some graphical upgrades.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention this...

Everything Rob Renzetti touches is golden, including MLAATR, Gravity Falls, Big City Greens, and yes, even Friendship Is Magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom