• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST3 Dec. 2021| Topical Threes

When Should Raccoon’s New Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread Launch?

• Monday, Dec. 27 • 12pm EST

Votes: 43 20.0%
  • Saturday, Jan. 1 • 12am EST

Votes: 172 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suswave

𝖘𝖊𝖈𝖔𝖓𝖉 𝖇𝖆𝖘𝖊𝖉
Founder
Pronouns
𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖞 / 𝖘𝖍𝖊
bZz1GRi.png

Welcome to the Shitpost Abyss Nintendo General Discussion ST3!

This thread is a dynamo of Nintendo-adjacent tomfoolery, ranging from Nintendo Direct Speculation* to how many Subway sandwiches it takes to clog a horse incinerator. Very little is off-topic here, but Nintendo is the beating horse heart that fuels us and the farm-fresh glue that holds us together.

Above all, this is a friendly place to talk! To keep it that way, there are a few rules.

• Be good to each other! Sometimes speculation can get heated. Sometimes jokes go overboard. Try to read the room, keep hostility in check, and apologize when you make mistakes.
  • Racism, Sexism, Homophobia, and Transphobia will not be tolerated.
  • Hide your spoilers! Even for old games. Famiboards has a lovely built-in tag for this purpose. Some thread denizens like going into games knowing as little as possible!
  • Information is ethereal. Occasionally, people who know what they're talking about will say things here. Not all of these things pan out. Keep it light, avoid the wheel of expectation and vitriol, and don't draw attention to things that are meant to be just part of the discussion.
  • Don't buy creamed corn from a capybara standing on its hind legs after 4 PM. Trust me on this one. Possums are okay though.

Who's Welcome Here?

Everyone is welcome here! Please join in the conversation and become part of the abyssal tide. The eldritch among us are less threatening than they seem – we're all happy to chat and love growing the community!

Jk5ezqL.png

What's This Title About?

This is our third monthly Nintendo General Discussion Startopic, and it's winter in a handful of places. According to my farmer's almanac, sidestepping "tropical freeze" into "topical threes" was both a good idea and worth hours of Photoshopping. It also says "dad puns are the long poison," but I ripped that page out.

However, since discussion this month will have plenty to do with The Game Awards, I also considered...

Ojc1nnP.png

For Whom Does the Nintember Toll?

I'm so glad you asked that in such a weird way! It tolls for thee, thread-dwellers. Here's what's on tap.

Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain • 12/3 ✅

Nintendo's dropping a December delight for the electric headmeat. Enjoy "quick mental fun" near and far with a scribbly pal who looks like one of my sleep paralysis demons.

Fun Fact: The original name for Famiboards was "Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain."

daOero4.png

The Game Awards • 12/9 ✅

December means that gremlin lord Elf Keighley sits once more on the Dorito throne, hyping up some statuettes and a ceaseless onslaught of advertisement. Metroid Dread is nominated for Game of the Year, and there are several other Family Game Nintendo nominations to watch for. No Wii's Ports were nominated, though...

We're anticipating new game announcements, but who knows what we'll see? Each lick of the magic eight-ball so far has come up mystery flavor.

Per usual, HYPE RESPONSIBLY. Nintendo might not show us anything. I don't want to see deathchants and despair if you don't get what you want. No excuses!

B1VkBOi.jpg

Indie World Showcase ✅

Have you heard that the Switch is perfect for indie games? Sometimes, we get whole presentations about indie games, and some of those have historically happened in December! Currently, we have no information or confirmation, but it could happen!

A lot of things could happen... but that doesn't mean they will.

7Dk5FLn.jpg

Nintendo Switch Online Update ✅

We may finally get some meaty N64 classics like 64 Trump Collection: Alice no Waku Waku Trump World, Rugrats in Paris - The Movie: The Game, and Wayne Gretzky's 3D Rat Attack! Oh, wait, apparently that last one is two different N64 games... but anything's possible!

Nintendo Holiday Sale

It's the holiday season! Which means wildly different things to a lot of people. Light some candles, make a latke-lefse-samosa turducken, and chant to Zorvak lest he consume.

It is likely that some of you may receive Nintendo-related gifts. It is also likely that Nintendo will have their annual holiday sale. But Nintendo selling games is a slippery slope that could lead to members of this thread playing games – a risk Nintendo might not be willing to take.

Things That Have Come To Pass

I'll be updating this section as we go through the month. Let's see what Nintendoes and what Nintendon't!

12/3 • Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain

The brains are afoot! Well, I mean, they're brains. This brain mitzvah (technically a sweet brain sixteen) gets a Metascore of 72, but a Meatscore of Perfectly Grillable. Some say there's a little too much "vs" and not enough "brain" – but what do you think?

12/9 • The Game Awards

Wow, what an incredible show! And by "incredible" I mean there was basically nothing even tangentially Switch related. At all. You all owe me twenty bucks.

12/10 • Paper Mario for NSO Expansion Pack

It's no Wayne Gretzky's 3D Rat Attack! but Nintendo technically delivered. Is this a one-game month? Or will we spy something else before the clock runs out?

12/13 • SamusHunter Revealed as @Raccoon Parody Account

The trash king is unmasked, and we’re speechless! If you didn’t see the receipts or have concerns, shoot me or @Raccoon a message.

12/15 • Indie World @ 9am PT

As was foretold! Our solstitial fear of an Indie planet was warranted. Nintendo showed a decent smattering of games, but nothing earth-shattering. Earth-binding, however...

Did You Lovingly Handcraft A Playlist for This Thread?

Unfortunately, I made two.

1. You Don't Know Me by Son Lux
  2. Deer by The Pack A.D.
  3. Adam Copies by Baths
  4. Frequency by Sylvan Esso
  5. Plastic Baby Jesus by Saintseneca
  6. Gravedigger by P.O.S.
  7. Flames and Flat Tires by Squirrel Flower
  8. Wake by Chrome Sparks
  9. End of the World by Gulfer
  10. Tuff by Aesop Rock
  11. Ben Franklin by Snail Mail
  12. ONDA by Jambinai
  1. Equus by Eric Whitacre
  2. Stupid Horse by 100 gecs
  3. Dark Horse by Emma Ruth Rundle
  4. Stalking Horse by Ryan Degree
  5. Broken Horse by Freelance Whales
  6. Dead Horse by Michiel Schrey
  7. The Funeral by Band of Horses
  8. Ghost Horse by Krasnogorsk

Any Threads You'd Like To Share?

Yes! @mazi and @Derachi both included a handy thread list. I stole it. Here it is!

Spacial Thonks

There's a lot of thonk to go around, so gather 'round the thonkbox.

A huge thank you to everyone who made Famiboards possible, including @bellydrum, @hologram, and @Dopply! I'd also like to thank @mazi for creating the first Nintendo General Discussion ST • @Derachi for ST2, general chaos, and coming up with the Sh*tty Nintendo F*ck Zone of P*ss (now the W*tty December T*lk Zone of H*ts) • @Raccoon for unbridled raccoonery, the original Distortion Geoff (which he provided for my elf-related sins), and for sticking around • @BozPaggs for the deep dark mod work and co-prioring the shitpost abyss with me • @chocolate_supra for a joke request you made a month ago, which as of 11:50 PM I have honored • every other Famiboards mod, admin, and dev • and most importantly, you!

Hall of the Old Gods: @Kevin360@Mina@Raccoon@Phendrift@Meelow@Skittzo@Hero of Legend@reconceptualize@BozPaggs@Brofield@MondoMega@wookiee@hologram@Sadist@Plum@bellydrum

No horses were permanently incinerated in the making of this ST.

Last edited:
To absolutely no one's surprise, @Suswave makes a truly fantastic ST. Excellent job! I look forward to listening to the playlists tomorrow!

And thus we d̸̜̮̄̍͆̈́̎̏̓̍̽͜ẽ̵̛͎̗̲͋̾͘͜ş̸̠̩̙̠̯̲̰͙̻͘͝ć̵̛̪͕͑̅̊̄̂̚̕͝ę̷̘̖̥̞̯͔͂̾̈͐̕ͅņ̶̢̛̜̩͗̏͊͐̀̓̚͠d̸̢͉̟͇͇̝͕̬͒̓́͆͆́̄͛͝͝

Absolutely epic OP, @Suswave! Enough photoshop batshittery to fuel several STs. I'm here for it. The hidden raccoon family was a nice touch this late at night.

Also holy hell, my first shout-out in an OP! I am hors honored

Also also, goddamn @Brawlz, at the buzzer!!!

thank you all so much! it is an absolute honor!

also, here's a bonus piece I made that didn't quite work with the ST once everything was assembled:

SYEj64E.png

Yall I swear I'm not making this up for internet points. My dad is watching some western or something in the other room and while I'm browsing this thread my hallway is echoing with the sound of horses screaming.
Double you, tee, eff.

Yall I swear I'm not making this up for internet points. My dad is watching some western or something in the other room and while I'm browsing this thread my hallway is echoing with the sound of horses screaming.
Double you, tee, eff.
the horse incinerator playlist warns about this very thing! you contributed to this nightmare and now the mares of the night are coming for you!

Excited for December! Should be a fun month between Danganronpa, Deedlit, The Game Awards, and hopefully an Indie World!

The horses are just celebrating the launch of st3
They don't sound as happy as they aughta be about it

the horse incinerator playlist warns about this very thing! you contributed to this nightmare and now the mares of the night are coming for you!
oh god oh shit where's Liv Tyler and a river when I need them?

This OP is a masterpiece. That Hollow Knight image killed me, lol. Gonna take a listen to some of that playlist when I get a chance. Gravedigger was my jam when I heard it back in like 2019 or so.

Hey new thread! And welcome December!

As is tradition, I will continue to think that next year is SO far away still and we have ages to go until we're worrying about 2022 games and Directs... right up until it's suddenly January 1st after I blinked and the month is over

Also glad to know that horses were only temporarily incinerated during the making of the ST. Permanent incineration just would've been too much.

Honestly if you don’t post in the first page of an ST what’s the point

Hey new thread! And welcome December!

As is tradition, I will continue to think that next year is SO far away still and we have ages to go until we're worrying about 2022 games and Directs... right up until it's suddenly January 1st after I blinked and the month is over
Just to show what I mean: In my head, there's still tons of 2021 left and there's bags of time before next year.

BUT it is now a factual statement to say that Pokemon Legends Arceus releases next month. Let that sink in.

so, question…

does having everything in spoilers make it easier to read on mobile? and or on the web?

I did it to try to keep things a little tidier, but should I go au naturale?

so, question…

does having everything in spoilers make it easier to read on mobile? and or on the web?

Checking on my phone, and the spoilers definitely help keep the page length down, making it easier to read. I also think it looks cleaner on desktop as well.

so, question…

Yeah spoilers are the way to go on mobile :)

@chocolate_supra
Can't reply to your Lupin the 3rd post since the thread is locked, but you should check it out.

The franchise is huge but there are many entry points.

Cool with something vintage and episodic, watch Lupin the 3rd Part 2.

Want something more modern and more serialized try Part 4 and if you like that then Part 5, then Part 6 which is the video you were watching.

Like Ghibli movies? Watch the Castle of Cagliostro, Written and directed by Hayao Miyazki as his first movie.

Want a more modern movie and are open to 3d aniamtion try out The First.

There also the tv specials which are basically just made for tv movies, there's nearly 30 of them and I haven't seen them all but I'd recommend Tokyo Crisis and Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid.

I love Lupin the 3rd and it's always great to see more people get into it.

oh my god I spell checked this twenty times

it looks like autocorrect mashed "Mii Sports" into "Mi Sports" on the poll (the third time I entered it). Is that something a mod can fix, or do I need to make a new option for it and sacrifice the two existing votes?

it looks like autocorrect mashed "Mii Sports" into "Mi Sports" on the poll (the third time I entered it). Is that something a mod can fix, or do I need to make a new option for it and sacrifice the two existing votes?
I thought that was part of the joke ngl

More like Mis-ports

Ask a mod! They can help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom