• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST16 Jan 2023| Team Famuary Stays Winning

What are you looking forward to doing in 2023?

• Playing video games

Votes: 82 65.6%
  • Talking about video games

Votes: 43 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolate_supra

Must proceed at a high velocity‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ #TeamDecade
Pronouns
He/Him
Welcome everyfami, to... well, to several things actually, including:
  • a new month
  • a new year
  • a new Nintendo General Discussion |ST|!!!
My thanks to @Red Monster for the lovely, frosty thread last month, which ended up going quite well with the snow effect on the site! I hope to bring similarly good vibes for this month.

And what an exciting month this is! You see, every year a select group in this fantastic community participate in the longstanding tradition of expecting Nintendo to give us a Direct in January. Does Nintendo ever do it? No! But does that stop Team January from believing? Also no! The dedication that they exhibit and the bonds they've forged have transcended simple Direct hype to become an inspiration for us all, so in this time of division, uncertainty, and post-holiday fatigue, I declare that for this glorious month we are all Team January!!

That's right, we are now:
tBBsvk6.png

So pull up a chair! Flop on the couch! This thread is the place where we hang out and discuss. If you're new here then welcome! It might seem like a lot is going on but this is a good bunch of people (I will vouch for them) and we love to see new faces.

You may notice this thread is called "Nintendo General Discussion" but there's no pressure to focus solely on Nintenstuff. This is where the community comes to talk about all things: life, memes, hopes & dreams, what day of the week a calendar should start on, everything! Nintendo is like the shy friend of the group here: we're not always talking about them though they are always present in one way or another. The big rule to really keep in mind here is: be nice. Be considerate of people's feelings when posting or engaging with others. I know it's The Internet™ but we work to keep this a safe and comfy space for everyone.

But in case you would like to discuss... ya know... video games, for some reason, here's a little primer on what's coming up from Nintendo:

qwpkiU4.png

dpCVusd.png
The latest entry in Nintendo's beloved tactical RPG series, Fire Emblem Engage will see heroes from past games meeting up with aquafresh new faces! Look forward to this game releasing on January 20. Also I'd like to thank @Mr_No_U for letting me use his Nokia N-Gage joke, especially since I didn't ask him first.

Here's a link to the ST for Fire Emblem Engage.

x2oN7Qs.png
Since this isn't simply a new month but also a new year, I should probably mention what might be the biggest game of 2023: a game so highly anticipated that just the potential title alone was the subject of years of speculation. And now the title has been revealed:
z0JhCbw.jpg
This is finally the year in which Nintendo will release The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: The Sequel (which is actually called Tears of the Kingdom but I couldn't help myself, sorry). This game releases May 12 and at the time of posting we still know relatively little about it aside from the fact that it will be more Zelda and more clouds and I personally like the sound of both.

Here's a Link to the Past I mean to the discussion thread for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.

vsoUG19.png
In addition to Fire Emblem Engage, January will finally see the release of not one, not two, but... oh wait, they are only releasing two? Not the whole series? Okay, weird. Anyway, Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden are both coming to Switch on January 19! As always there are also a few new indies coming and potential releases we don't even know about yet. There are of course several exciting games coming up later in the year that I'll let future STs shine the light on, but I feel compelled to at least mention the long-awaited Pikmin 4 in the off chance that Miyamoto-senpai might notice me.

wEX1VDv.png
Since this is the beginning of a fresh year (and I do recognize this is a bit cliché) I'm asking everyone: What do you hope to see from this year in gaming? And don't just say "Silksong," as we're all already thinking it. Me personally, I'm looking forward to: talking about video games. Especially since the game I actually hope for is probably never coming to Switch!

cHz65Wq.png
Several other things are new on Famiboards in January besides this StarTopic. The Famiboards Game of the Year Celebration for 2022 is now live, and will be running all month! The event culminates in a presentation of the winners on February 1st, unless Christopher Judge wins one and nudges it into the 2nd.

We also have the first Nintendo Direct Speculation ST of the year, where people can speculate their hearts out about the contents, timing, and worldwide cultural impact of the next Nintendo Direct (which may or may not land in January (it won't (or will it?))).

So that's it! Welcome to January 2023, everyone! Let's make this month one for the books, whether Nintendo does or not. Because after all, the real January Direct is the Fami we made along the way.

Previous General Discussion STs (yall crushed it):​

|ST Oct. 2021| by @mazi
|ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or… by @Derachi
|ST3 Dec. 2021| Topical Threes by @Suswave
|ST4 Jan. 2022| Resurrections by @Skittzo
|ST5 Feb. 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3 by @Dardan Sandiego
|ST6 Mar. 2022| Marchful Mode by @EvilChameleon
|ST7 Apr. 2022| Launch Timing Update For ST7 Sequel by @EvilChameleon
|ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8 by @Barely Able
|ST9 June 2022| This is Miyamoto. Have a fun summer! by @Irene
|ST10 July 2022| Julyve A Live by @Plum
|ST11 August 2022| Everybody’s 11-12 Discussion Thread by @Legion of Primes
|ST12 September 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03 by @xghost777
|ST13 Oct. 2022| Our First Famiversary! by @hologram
|ST14 Nov 2022| Comfy And Easy To Wear by @bellydrum
|ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami by @Red Monster

Upcoming General Discussion ST claims (yall're gonna crush it):​

ST17 February 2023 @SammyJ9
ST18 March 2023 @Brofield
ST19 April 2023 @Josh5890
ST20 May 2023 unclaimed
ST21 June 2023 @Party Sklar
ST22 July 2023 unclaimed
ST23 August 2023 unclaimed
ST24 September 2023 @Barely Able
ST25 October 2023 @VolcanicDynamo (or a month when a potential 3D Mario is announced)
ST26 November 2023 unclaimed
ST27 December 2023 unclaimed

And to those who've been on Team January this whole time:
YzFqBNs.jpg

Last edited:
I like the explanation of what the thread is for. Very vintage feeling OP, consider it Raccoon Approved.

After the death of the new Switch (rest in peace, please) I'm setting my hopes lower: all I want this year is We Love Katamari Reroll: Royal Reverie.

ack! just hit the cutoff on the other thread for this message:

shout out to everyone for another wild ride and a wacky fuckin’ year

mpgvzN9.jpg

‘til we meet again on the other side!

find me in the future!

In accordance with tradition, I call upon the youth of the world to assemble right now in ST16, to celebrate January 2023!

The first Nintendo General of the year in which F-Zero will finally come home*. What a time to be alive.

Glorious OP, @chocolate_supra

*unless it doesn't

Ah, fresh year smell. Love the OP, @chocolate_supra! My gaming hope for this year is a core Super Mario game. 2D or 3D, either one I'll take. I don't need to hope for Zelda, though, I know that one's gonna be good. Also looking forward to Pikmin 4 later this year!
uhh.. what happened to the previous thread by Lukas?
You mean the Direct Speculation Thread? That thread and the general thread are distinct entities on Fami.

Excellent work on the OP @chocolate_supra!

I think all I want this year is to be surprised again. I'm feeling pretty full gaming wise right now, possibly even overstuffed and while I think this year might be a little lighter on titles that interest me I fully expect there's going to be something that's going to come out of left field that I'm going to be absolutely ga-ga over.

Anyways, here's to hopefully a bright and happy 2023 for everyone here gaming or otherwise!

Famuary, that's cute. However, you missed a few game releases that you could have mentioned are releasing in January.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe - January 55th

Bayonetta Origins: Cezera and the Lost Demon - January 76th

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - January 132nd

Pikmin 4 - Announced for release sometime in January of 2023

Thread looking good! Gonna try to be the top poster for once (not actually gonna try).

Also, a new OP can take September if they want. It was mainly a joke for Earth Wind and Fire (but I’ll do it if people don’t want to).

Some may say that I am predictable. Well, I instead say that I am consistent.
Dependable, I'd say.

Excellent work on the OP @chocolate_supra!

I think all I want this year is to be surprised again. I'm feeling pretty full gaming wise right now, possibly even overstuffed and while I think this year might be a little lighter on titles that interest me I fully expect there's going to be something that's going to come out of left field that I'm going to be absolutely ga-ga over.

Anyways, here's to hopefully a bright and happy 2023 for everyone here gaming or otherwise!
I get this sentiment. It's one of the reasons I'm kinda stoked to see what happens after TotK, as H2 2023 looks almost blank at the moment.

Although Bayonetta Origins was a hell of a surprise for me, come to think of it.

Famuary, that's cute. However, you missed a few game releases that you could have mentioned are releasing in January.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe - January 55th

Bayonetta Origins: Cezera and the Lost Demon - January 76th

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - January 132nd

Pikmin 4 - Announced for release sometime in January of 2023
Damned if I don't wanna abuse my threadmarking privileges 🤣

"Direct Speculation themed" is the best description for these that I can imagine
Considering the origin of the community, one could argue the whole site is Direct Speculation themed

I get this sentiment. It's one of the reasons I'm kinda stoked to see what happens after TotK, as H2 2023 looks almost blank at the moment.
Exactly! I'm kinda savoring not following the hardware conversation lately because frankly I don't really care when or what launches. I'm also really liking not really having much of a roadmap for next year too. There's a handful of landmarks already on the map like Octopath 2 and TotK but other than that it's full of possibilities. And that's really exciting right now.

I'm going into 2023 with very few game release predictions. I'm here to go along for the ride, see where this year takes us, and enjoy what we get. "Good year," "bad year," that's all subjective, anyway. Bring it on, 2023!

Amazing ST! You may have thought you went to far on that Ngage picture but you did not. Chef's kiss.
Thankyooou
I almost went even weirder with it 😅
I was this close to having the screen be that first leaked screenshot that caused such a stir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom