King of the Krocs
Release Date: May 12, 2023
Developer: Nintendo EPD
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Welcome to the Discussion Thread for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. Here we will track all the updates, rumors, and general discussion surrounding this new game. Since its surprise announcement at E3 2019, we were initially left with a very cryptic trailer and little else to go on, save for a few scant details. Two years later during E3 2021, we received a new trailer, showing a new focus on the skies above Hyrule, and a new set of abilities for Link. And finally, in the September 2022 Nintendo Direct, we were given the game's title and release date.
As the release draws closer and new information becomes available, I will work to compile it here and help foster discussion.
Please note this thread will contain spoilers for the original Breath of the Wild
Redefining a Legend- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's Release and Reception
"This is the new world of Zelda. It's quite a vast world isn't it? You can even reach those mountains in the distance, if you walk far enough. We couldn't create such a wide world like this in the past. As far as what you can do with such a vast field to explore, as soon as those boundaries are removed, it means you can enter any area from any direction. So the puzzle solving in this game begins the moment the player starts to think about where they want to go, how will they get there, and what they will do when they arrive. This is a clean break from the conventions of past games in the Zelda series, where you had to follow a set path, and play through the scenario in the right order. I believe this departure will create opportunities for new game-play that have not been experienced in previous Zelda games."
—Eiji Aonuma, E3 2014
After a lengthy development, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild released for the Wii U and as a launch title for the Nintendo Switch on March 3rd, 2017. The game was an immediate critical and commercial success, scoring a 97 average on Metacritic and quickly becoming the best selling entry in the series, at one point even outselling the Nintendo Switch itself. The game went on to achieve several Game of the Year awards and is generally considered the consensus Game of the Year of 2017, a year notable for a high number of quality releases.
The game was widely praised for its beautiful and massive handcrafted world, designed in such a way to encourage continuous exploration, its nonlinear approach to both progression and problem solving, and its chemistry engine that allowed the player to interact with the world in unique and creative ways. Series lead Eiji Aonuma has indicated that this template (dubbed "Open Air") will likely be the norm for the series moving forward.
What We Know So Far
We have very few confirmed details right now, but this section will be updated as new information becomes available.
- This game will be based on the same world as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
- Similar to Super Mario Galaxy 2, many ideas from this game were conceptualized as potential DLC for the original game before being reworked into the sequel.
- Zelda has received a redesign, most notably she has shorter hair than in the original game. This had led to speculation that she may have a greater role to play in this adventure than her previous one.
- Link is seen interacting with, and perhaps controlling a mysterious magical arm. What this means is currently unknown.
- On June 15th, 2021, Nintendo released a new trailer for the game, showcasing a lot of new information. This seems to confirm that the magical arm has affixed itself to Link and will be taking the role of the Sheikah Slate in this title, showing new abilities such as a new stasis function, a time manipulation ability, and the ability to phase through solid objects. The game is confirmed to be "expanded to the skies above Hyrule" in addition to the world below, which appears to be a major theme of the game.
- Link appears to have received a redesign as well, with loose hair rather than a ponytail, and his arm being merged with the magical arm seen in the original trailer. Zelda appears to have been separated from Link following the events of the original trailer, and her role is as of yet unknown.
- Link does not appear to possess the Master Sword following the events of the second trailer. Later promotional material has confirmed the Master Sword has been damaged in some way.
- Hyrule Castle has been lifted into the sky following the events of the reveal trailer.
- The game appears to be putting an emphasis on Verticality, with many of Link's new abilities focusing on flight or upward mobility. We have also seen Link making use of a bird like glider.
- Imagery also suggests the Zonai, an ancient people of Hyrule who are only hinted at, but who's presence can be felt across Breath of the Wild's Hyrule, will also be more present in this game.
Nintendo’s official home for The Legend of Zelda. Games, videos, and more.
The Hero of Hyrule who slumbered for 100 years after sustaining grievous injuries during Calamity Ganon's attack on Hyrule. After reawakening on the Great Plateau, Link journeyed through what remained of the Kingdom of Hyrule, restoring both his strength and his memories in preparation for his confrontation with Calamity Ganon. With the help of the liberated Divine Beasts and the Champions of Hyrule, Link was able to defeat the monstrous Calamity Ganon beneath the Hyrule Castle and with the aid of Princess Zelda herself went on to destroy Calamity Ganon's final incarnation, the gigantic boar Dark Beast Ganon.
Thus thanks to the hero's efforts, the evil of Calamity Ganon had at last been purged from Hyrule, and the world could finally recover...
Or so it seemed for a time...
The Princess and sole survivor of the Royal Family of Hyrule, and one who carries the bloodline of the Goddess Hylia. For 100 years, Zelda was held in a stalemate with Calamity Ganon, keeping him sealed within Hyrule Castle and buying the outside world something resembling peace, while she herself remained trapped in the castle as well. Sensing that her power may soon no longer be enough to contain Calamity Ganon, she at last called out for the slumbering Link to reawaken and begin his adventure. Thanks to Link's efforts, Zelda was able to break free of Calamity Ganon's clutches, and after accessing the Divine Power within, she was able to lay the final blow on the beast, annihilating Calamity Ganon at last.
Zelda now travels with Link as they seek to restore the fallen Kingdom of Hyrule. Their journeys have led them to a mysterious chamber, where an ancient but perhaps all too familiar evil lies in wait.
A withered corpse that lies in the center of a mysterious chamber. This figure appears to produce Malice, a corrosive and evil substance that was believed to be a manifestation of Calamity Ganon's corruption. It was held down by a magical disembodied arm of unknown power and ability. The figure reanimates once the magical arm is removed, and its revival coincides with a catastrophic shift in the world above.
E3 2019 Reveal
E3 2021 Teaser
September 2022 Direct Name and Launch Date Trailer
To new beginnings, friends...