• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST 12 Sep 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03

The First Fami Splatfest: Which Team Will You Join?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
RZ0lYN3.jpg

Welcome to Famiboards’ 12th Nintendo General Discussion Thread! This is the main discussion thread for Fami that not just covers all things Nintendo, including games, history, news, fandom and more, but it also serves as the premiere hang out thread for our forum where you can discuss other games, media, and hobbies you are enjoying, life and personal project updates, and so much more!

I’m very excited to host the thread for September Splatember 2022 because we are going to have a party on a few fronts! First up we have two major releases to celebrate, Splatoon 3 and Trails From Zero. Splatoon 3 is the latest installment in Nintendo’s freshest third person shooter series and introduces new special limited time events, including three team Splatfests and BIG RUN, revamped lobbies that let you play easily with friends and Fami across modes, and the new idol group, Deep Cut, featuring Shiver, Frye, and of course the one and only Big Man! Splatoon 3 is also kicking off Nintendo’s stellar holiday line up for the year featuring Mario and Rabbids Sparks of Hope, Bayonetta 3, and Pokemon Scarlet and Violet. Our other major release of the month is the long awaited official and definitive release of the fourth Trails game, Trails From Zero. If you are unfamiliar, the Trails series is a directly connected 12 game and counting 1,000 hour plus JRPG odyssey like no other. Aside from the original Trails in the Sky game, Trails From Zero is the most standalone game in the series and thus an excellent place to start for newcomers and is undoubtedly perfect for Switch! In addition to some amazing games, we are also going to be counting down the days for the first anniversary of Famiboards towards the end of the month! It’s been a fantastic first year for Fami and I’m always so excited to be a part of this awesome community with you all. So let’s keep this party going strong into year 2!

Are You A Squid Or A JRPG Kid?

I have two games for the thread this month and you might have already noticed the first one as you walked in. Yes! We are holding the first ever Famiboards Splatfest directly(!) in this thread. While three team Splatfests are soon to be all the rage, for our premiere Splatfest I wanted to keep it simple and hold a classic two team battle! Participation is as easy as you want it to be. First off, we have the poll above us which simply asks you which team you want to join, either the illustrious Team Squid or the equally illustrious Team JRPG. Click your team’s button, make sure you commit, hit submit, and boom you are in! Now here comes the fun part, you see while you may think the outcome is obvious that your team is definitely going to win, Nintendo General Discussion poll votes have historically trickled in over the course of the month leading to some tight races and I have made it so the undecided walking in can’t see the current results. While I can’t give and later take away a special shirt during this event, like our legendary debates between #TeamJanuary and #TeamFebruary, I encourage you to add on where you stand on your profile’s tag (#TeamSquid or #TeamJRPG) so the Fami community at large knows. Feel free to make some fun comments across the forum to defend the honor of your Splatfest team and convince those on the fence to join you!

sWVvb3d.jpg

Now what are Team Squid and Team JRPG? Well while you might get an idea from the title of the thread, those two biggest releases I mentioned earlier, and this silly photoshop I made above, like all great Splatfests I do want to say it may not be as easy as you think which side you should join. Mario may be your favorite Nintendo series for example, but ask yourself where would he stand? His platforming career might suggest he’d proudly join Team Squid as you can feel that Mario Galaxy influence inside the wonderful single player campaigns. Perhaps he’d actually join Team JRPG though as he has starred in well over ten grand RPG adventures that expanded the scope and depth of his world. So yes, search deep in your soul and consider every angle or find the courage to believe in your gut before committing! Your actions may very well shape the direction of Famiboards Year 2 and will if nothing else become a part of Fami lore!

Thread Game 2! Three Rounds Of Questions!

While the first Fami Splatfest may be the main event, I wanted to give us one other thread game to enjoy this month as well. I really enjoyed Skittzo’s series of questions in ST4 so I wanted to bring that back! There are no prizes here, but hopefully this will encourage some fun discussion. For this thread there will be three rounds of two questions evenly spread throughout the month. The first question will be simple, while the second one is more of a prompt. There is also a bonus 7th question of sorts that runs throughout the month! So let’s see what we got:

Round 1: September Splatember 1 – 10th. (Splatoon time!)

Question 1: What is your favorite multiplayer game and/or memory?
Question 2: Animal themed games are becoming more and more popular. We had Untitled Goose Game a few years ago and this month we have Stray releasing physically and of course Splatoon 3, a very scientifically accurate Squid experience. What animal themed game do you want to see next and what does it roughly look like if you were to design it?

Round 2: Splatember 11 – 20th. (Tokyo Game Show time!)

Question 1: What is your favorite anime and/or cartoons and why? Share the OPs if you want!
Question 2: Take one of your favorite anime or cartoons and design a game around it and/or vice versa by taking one of your favorite games and tell us how you want it adapted into an anime, cartoon, or movie. If you have an idea for a sequel or spin off adaption that’s cool too!

Round 3: Splatember 21 – 30th. (Trails From Zero and Famiboards Anniversary time!)

Question 1: What previously unlocalized game or games do you want to see brought to Switch with a definitive release? Alternately, what classic game (more than ten years old) would you like brought back on Switch with a definitive release? Feel free to answer both questions and share any QOL additions/improvements you’d like to see! Secret bonus question: what lesser known Switch games do you highly recommend?
Question 2: Share your favorite memories from the first year of Famiboards and share your personal hopes, dreams, and goals for Year 2. These answers can speak to your time here on Fami, your life in general, or a mix of both!

Bonus 7th Question Of Sorts: All Month Long!

Share a picture of any awesome pizza you have or make this month! Pizza is my favorite food.

Nintendo News And Events

The big September General Direct arrived on September 13th at 7:00 AM PST and brought plenty of awesome games and announcements! The biggest trailers I'll embed directly(!) in the thread here and I'll provide links to some of the other notable announcements. Some games weirdly don't have their trailer up separately on Youtube, so I linked to a Gematsu article instead.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom May 12 (The Game Formally Known As Breath of the Wild 2)

Fire Emblem Engage January 20

Pikmin 4 2023

Octopath Traveler II February 24

Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Final Bar Line February 16
Bayonetta 3 Direct Footage
Bayonetta 3 7 Minute Combat Overview Trailer (Must watch for Bayonetta fans! October 28)
Kirby's Return To Dreamland Deluxe February 24
Tunic September 27
Fatal Frame 4: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse Early 2023
Tales of Symphonia Remastered 2023 (30FPS PS2 version)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Wave 2 DLC October 13
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe BCP Wave 3 Teaser (Merry Mountain and Peach Gardens. Half pipes confirmed!!)
Nintendo Switch Sports Golf Update Holiday 2022
N64 NSO+ Roadmap Includes Goldeneye!
Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End & The Secret Key (Gematsu Article. February 24)
Master Detective Archives: Rain Code (Gematsu Article. Danganronpa team's new game. Spring 2023)

Ok with the thread games established, let’s dive into what news and events to watch out for. For dated events, up first we have an NIS America Showcase on September 7th featuring four new game announcements! I’m personally hoping we’ll see Grim Grimoire Once More announced for the West there! (EDIT: IT WAS! SPRING 2023!) We also definitely have the Tokyo Game Show (TGS) which runs from Thursday September 15th through Sunday September 18th. While Nintendo historically doesn’t have a big presence at TGS you can expect news, announcements, updates, trailers, and previews for many Japanese games on the horizon in the lead up and throughout the show itself.

As for Nintendo directly, we have a Nintendo Direct of some sort (Full, Mini, or Partner) officially rumored and a MIA August Indie World to keep an eye out for. Yes! The fabled day where the two largest Nintendo STs on Famiboards will once again merge for an undetermined length should be fast approaching! Until then, if you are interested and emotionally prepared to step into the chaotic frontlines of Nintendo Direct speculation powered by hopes and dreams, I welcome you to wander in and out of @Raccoon ’s thread Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3. I’m a big fan myself!

Following major events, I plan to add the biggest trailers and announcements in this space for easy, historical access. We might see Breath of the Wild 2, Metroid Prime Remastered, Metroid Prime 4, a new Mario Platformer, the first Mario Movie trailer, the next Fire Emblem, and more soon! So hang in there until then! EDIT: 2/6 Ain't bad!

New Game Schedule

The second to last section here is simply a list of what games are releasing in the month of September (or Splatember if you prefer). There’s an astounding number of games hitting Switch this month beyond Splatoon 3 and Trails From Zero so take a look and plan accordingly!

Ooblets September 1
Anno Mutationem September 1
Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle R September 2
Made In Abyss Binary Star Falling Into Darkness September 2
Disney Dreamlight Valley September 6
Temtem September 6
Splatoon 3 September 9
XIII September 13
Bear and Breakfast September 15
Fault STP Lightkravte September 15
Return To Monkey Island September 19
The DioFIELD Chronicles September 22
Taiko No Tatsujin Rhythm Festival September 23
Shovel Knight Dig September 23
The Legend of Heroes: Trails From Zero September 27
Life Is Strange Remastered September 27
Tunic September 27
Railgrade September 29
Sword Art Online Alicization Lycoris September 30

The Legend Of ST Heroes And You

I want to wrap this OP up with a big thank you to all of our previous ST hosts. You’ve all played and continue to play an awesome part in building this community.

6n0vYH0.png

ST 1 October 2021 Nintendo General Discussion by @mazi
ST 2 November 2021 Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V The Dub Way, or… by @Derachi
ST 3 December 2021 Topical Threes by @Suswave
ST 4 January 2022 Resurrections by @Skittzo
ST 5 February 2022 Xenodelayed Chronicles 3 by @Dardan Sandiego
ST 6 March 2022 Marchful Mode by @EvilChameleon
ST 7 April 2022 Launch Timing Update For ST7 Sequel by EvilChameleon
ST 8 May 2022 Prime Real E-ST8 by @Barely Able
ST 9 June 2022 This is Miyamoto. Have a fun summer! by @Irene
ST 10 July 2022 Julyve A Live by @Plum
ST 11 August 2022 Everybody’s 11-12 Discussion Thread by @Legion of Primes

And one last huge thank you to every member of Famiboards for making this such a fun and welcoming place. I was super happy to finally join this community back in October last year with open registration and I wouldn’t be half as active here if you all weren’t the best. This thread is for you, for all the awesome times and memories we’ve shared so far, and for all of the awesome times we have ahead.

Now let’s all enjoy Splatember and beyond!!!

Last edited:
Why has every game gone up in price in Canada? Astral Chain physical is stupid expensive now.

Oh uh also, hi. Nice thread. I'm sorry for taking the first post.

Last edited:
Finally, the fated battle between Scrimblo Bimblos and JRPG McSwordguys on Fami is upon us.

September shall be a glorious month. and totally not because my birthday is this month.

Great ST @xghost777 ! I love the return of the weekly discussions/questions, I actually have a great answer for #2 that I came up with years ago that I'll try to write up in a bit.

Answers to the first questions:

Question 1: What is your favorite multiplayer game and/or memory? This answer will likely be a cliché, but Melee with friends when we were 12 or so cannot and will not be beat.

Question 2: Animal themed games are becoming more and more popular. We had Untitled Goose Game a few years ago and this month we have Stray releasing physically and of course Splatoon 3, a very scientifically accurate Squid experience. What animal themed game do you want to see next and what does it roughly look like if you were to design it?
As you mentioned, we've just recently had a cat game in Stray, so the next natural choice would be... another cat game! But instead of a stray in a cyberpunk world, this time, you're just a domesticated kitty cat in a regular home. Will you meow way more than necessary for food? Will you knock stuff off counters indiscriminately? Will you scratch your human for no reason? It's entirely up to you!

Answers to the first questions:

Question 1: What is your favorite multiplayer game and/or memory? This answer will likely be a cliché, but Melee with friends when we were 12 or so cannot and will not be beat.

Question 2: Animal themed games are becoming more and more popular. We had Untitled Goose Game a few years ago and this month we have Stray releasing physically and of course Splatoon 3, a very scientifically accurate Squid experience. What animal themed game do you want to see next and what does it roughly look like if you were to design it? As you mentioned, we've just recently had a cat game in Stray, so the next natural choice would be... another cat game! But instead of a stray in a cyberpunk world, this time, you're just a domesticated kitty cat in a regular home. Will you meow way more than necessary for food? Will you knock stuff off counters indiscriminately? Will you scratch your human for no reason? It's entirely up to you!
Ooh I like that idea for a new cat game! That'd be a lot of fun. I have a ton of fond memories with Smash. For Melee in particular, I think my favorite was entering a local tournament with friends. We didn't win, but we had fun!

Ah that new thread smell. Great job OP!

Has anyone seen that Disney Dreamlight Valley game yet? I can't tell if it looks good or downright awful.

Ooh I like that idea for a new cat game! That'd be a lot of fun. I have a ton of fond memories with Smash. For Melee in particular, I think my favorite was entering a local tournament with friends. We didn't win, but we had fun!
My friends and I thought we were good, but in reality, we would all choose Roy and didnt realize that his fully charged neutral B caused recoil damage lol

I don't interpret the poll as choosing between them. Your only goal is to win, i.e. vote for the option that the most people vote for

Awesome thread!

In most years, I'd be a Squid Kid. But Xenoblade 3 has a vice grip on me at the moment.

Fantastic thread here!
I feel like I should respond that MW2 was my favorite multiplayer game, seeing as I put over 600 hours into it, but Halo 3 is pretty close in my mind as well. If Infinite had weekend goof around playlists, hoo boy.

Great job all around cool person and fellow September birthday month club member @xghost777 !

But did you really really have to make a poll forcing us to decide between Squidkids and JRPG kids? 😭
Thank you :) For the first Fami Splatfest, I knew I had to cut right to the heart of it! It's the question of the ages here!

Last edited:
Hey new thread! Does it smell like... sniffs PUMPKIN in here? No? That's just me drinking coffee with too much nutmeg and cloves and willing autumn weather into existence?

Fuck. I forgot Trails from Zero comes out soon. Too many games.
I didn't. I've been waiting for it for like... 6 years? Finally. The day has come! Crossbell is waiting for me!

I hope XSEED considers bringing Trails of the Sky trilogy too. But I don't count on it.

Question 1: I think it would have to be Goldeneye. Brawl in college is a close second but I can like, remember the feelings, the smells, the songs playing in the background when playing multiplayer Goldeneye with my brother and our friends. To this day I cannot play multiplayer games online and enjoy it because so much of it depended on the quality of the people and them being right there with you.

OH SHIT how did I forget about Double Dash? We played thousands and thousands of hours of Double Dash, often for money. We went so far as to make an interactive spreadsheet to keep track of stats when we did LAN mode and raced with 5-8 players. That has to come first.

Question 2: I've had two really good ideas for animal themed games, one of which I feel like could be implemented one day and the other I'd have no idea how to make.

Game the first:

A 3D third person collectathon/platformer with wide open levels taking place on alien planets where you play as a memetic robot critter who can scan any indigenous life form including plants, animals and bugs, and incorporate any feature (or more realistically one of a small set of defining special features) into your own robot body, which then grants you special abilities.

So basically, you can grow a rhino horn, bat ears and sonar, rabbit's legs, a snake's fangs and unhingeable jaw, etc. and have all of these features visible on your robot and the abilities they grant active for gameplay.

Game the second:

You play as a dog who has just been adopted and your new owners are trying to teach you rules and tricks and commands but you have no idea what they're saying since you're a dog, so you're not sure what they want you to do.

The problem with this is, anybody who has had a dog will know what most of the commands mean so you'd have to make them completely different somehow. Not sure how to tackle that.

Question 1: I think it would have to be Goldeneye. Brawl in college is a close second but I can like, remember the feelings, the smells, the songs playing in the background when playing multiplayer Goldeneye with my brother and our friends. To this day I cannot play multiplayer games online and enjoy it because so much of it depended on the quality of the people and them being right there with you.

OH SHIT how did I forget about Double Dash? We played thousands and thousands of hours of Double Dash, often for money. We went so far as to make an interactive spreadsheet to keep track of stats when we did LAN mode and raced with 5-8 players. That has to come first.

Question 2: I've had two really good ideas for animal themed games, one of which I feel like could be implemented one day and the other I'd have no idea how to make.

Game the first:

A 3D third person collectathon/platformer with wide open levels taking place on alien planets where you play as a memetic robot critter who can scan any indigenous life form including plants, animals and bugs, and incorporate any feature (or more realistically one of a small set of defining special features) into your own robot body, which then grants you special abilities.

So basically, you can grow a rhino horn, bat ears and sonar, rabbit's legs, a snake's fangs and unhingeable jaw, etc. and have all of these features visible on your robot and the abilities they grant active for gameplay.

Game the second:

You play as a dog who has just been adopted and your new owners are trying to teach you rules and tricks and commands but you have no idea what they're saying since you're a dog, so you're not sure what they want you to do.

The problem with this is, anybody who has had a dog will know what most of the commands mean so you'd have to make them completely different somehow. Not sure how to tackle that.
I grew up with Goldeneye, though Perfect Dark was the one I really got attached to. Both were awesome games! Huge Mario Kart fan as well, that series has been with me my whole life.

Both of the animal games sound great! I'd especially like to see how someone could tackle that second one. The idea is really cool.

hell yeah, great thread @xghost777 !!

I know myself, and what I know is this:

woomy

anyways, excited to terrorize yet another thread! happy septembo!

also one tiny note that is not a big deal — my ST was actually called Topical Threes

hell yeah, great thread @xghost777 !!

I know myself, and what I know is this:

woomy

anyways, excited to terrorize yet another thread! happy septembo!

also one tiny note that is not a big deal — my ST was actually called Topical Threes
Sorry about that! My brain always read it as Tropical Threes. Topical Threes is a great thread name. Fixed it!

Just wanted to pop in and say I’m probably going to stop coming to this site.

If you don’t care for my thoughts and feelings, cool, but I’m posting them anyway.

Since the beginning I’ve felt that that board has revolved around an inner ‘clique’, and anyone with viewpoints that don’t align with that circle are met with open hostility. A lot of people have mentioned they moved away from Era because the Nintendo threads were full of trolling, and I honestly never saw that. It felt to me like that group just wanted anyone with other viewpoints to not be allowed, and labelling them as “trolls” made it easy to disregard their worth and opinions.

It’s happened multiple times where I’ve popped in, spoken about topics that are seen as ‘bad’ like my love of trophy systems, and just been openly mocked by the same people that say they want this site to be positive and welcoming, including moderators and admins.

I don’t expect much to change, but I wanted to post my thoughts in case it leads to any introspection, because I don’t feel welcome here, and I think it would be nice if other people like me that sign up in the future don’t end up feeling the same.

Ciao.
Benzychenz

I’m still playing Xenoblade 3 in the new thread
Don’t feel bad I only just started it two days ago and I’ve been distracted today so I’m probably playing FEWTH instead. But the next 5 days are super hot so I’m hoping to log in some good time on xbc3. And maybe go see Dragonball superheroes Saturday. And a kit.

When you have that moment of fear “oh wait if these 3 model kits are coming into stock from the pre order what if the other 2 are too?!? I did not budget for 5 higher end kits this month, yikes”

Just wanted to pop in and say I’m probably going to stop coming to this site.

If you don’t care for my thoughts and feelings, cool, but I’m posting them anyway.

Since the beginning I’ve felt that that board has revolved around an inner ‘clique’, and anyone with viewpoints that don’t align with that circle are met with open hostility. A lot of people have mentioned they moved away from Era because the Nintendo threads were full of trolling, and I honestly never saw that. It felt to me like that group just wanted anyone with other viewpoints to not be allowed, and labelling them as “trolls” made it easy to disregard their worth and opinions.

It’s happened multiple times where I’ve popped in, spoken about topics that are seen as ‘bad’ like my love of trophy systems, and just been openly mocked by the same people that say they want this site to be positive and welcoming.

I don’t expect much to change, but I wanted to post my thoughts in case it leads to any introspection, because I don’t feel welcome here, and I think it would be nice if other people like me that sign up in the future don’t end up feeling the same.

Ciao.
Benzychenz
I'm sorry you haven't felt welcome here, and I sincerely hope I didn't do anything to add to that feeling. It can be hard to tell the difference sometimes between someone who is joking about something on a board and someone who is engaged in serious discussion so I can understand how that can lead to some feeling unwelcome or ganged up upon but in my experience here barring a few isolated incidents that I'm aware of generally people are warm and welcoming, if maybe a bit heavy on the inside jokes.

Sorry again, hopefully you can do what's best for you and your mental health.

Oh snap almost missed this NEW THREAD WOOOO

September gonna be an exciting month. It hasn’t even started and it’s already looking up

I'm starting to realize why people don't make big open WRPGs anymore outside of a handful of the biggest publishers. Shit's hard, yo.

I'm making good progress though. Have about 40 of the probably 100 or so spells and abilities fully coded. Just hopefully going to avoid feature creep.

Sliding in hot in the first page, new thread smell and finger lickin' good! Congrats on the ST @xghost777, it looks fantastic! Can't wait to share pizza I make this month!

And again, thank you @Legion of Primes for your stewardship of the previous ST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom