• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Persona 4 Golden |ST| Reach Out To The Truth (Please read OP before posting)

Is this your first time playing Persona 4?

• Never played a Persona game ever

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Have played other Persona games, but not 4

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • I have played the original PS2 version of Persona 4, but not Golden

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Have played Golden, replay time!

Votes: 24 49.0%

• Total voters

Chie

Satonaka Style
Famiboards-1.png

The Year is 2011, an ominous fog sets in to the small town of Inaba, in rural Japan

fog-smoke.gif

This is the story of a young man who goes to spend a year living in the countryside in a small town with his uncle and cousin. What connections will he make? What will happen to him in the end. This is up to you.

Thread Theme:

capsule_616x353.jpg

Persona 4 Golden is a turn-based RPG in the popular ATLUS series. In this game you play as a High School age boy who spends a year (April 2011, through March 2012) in the small rural town of Inaba. Sounds boring? Not really, shortly after arriving a murder happens. There's also this mysterious tv channel that appears on foggy nights that supposedly shows your soul mate. Before you know it a girl at your school goes missing and you get wrapped up into a mystery to solve the case and bring the killer to justice. You'll build a team of your fellow teens to bring the killer to justice, The Investigation Team.

Famiboards-5.png

Famiboards-7.png

REGARDING PROBLEMATIC CONTENT -
Persona 4 is a game that contains elements and sections that are perceived problematic and inconsiderate, and said elements are known to have caused people to be uncomfortable. These matters must be taken seriously, and should concerns regarding them be voiced in the thread, said concerns needs to be listened to, and not disregarded. We’re all here to discuss our shared interest in video games, and that includes discussion about all aspects of a game, good or bad. Should someone voice concerns or discomfort regarding aspects of the game, please refrain from shouting them down, or dismiss their posts with hostility, handwaving or needless snark.

Famiboards-3.png

1. SP (mana for summoning your persona to cast magic) is very hard to recover in the early game. The shopping district has vending machines which sell drinks that will restore your SP. Not by much and you can only buy so many per week. It's not a lot but it will help out a ton.
  2. Most Social Links cannot be done on rainy days. You can advance the Sun and Hermit on rainy days though. The Hermit should be prioritized, as it gives you a bigger discount on recovering SP as you go on. The Hermit social link works different, rather than hanging out you must do requests. The Hermit social Link causes time to advance only when you turn one in and this can be done on rainy days, so try to get stuff turned in then.
  3. Have a matching Persona in your inventory of the person you are hanging out with. This will make the relationship advance faster
  4. Check the fridge at home every night. Sometimes there will be ingredients to make lunch. If you do this you can share with one of your social links at school. This will raise your relationship level with them for free. Making and eating lunch does not take up any time.
  5. On rainy days the restaurant Aiya has a Mega Beef Bowl Challenge. It's pricey but if you do it you will raise randomly raise three out of these four social stats (Understanding, Diligence, Courage, Knowledge) the fifth social stat, Expression, cannot be raised this way. You'll get a cool little prize for finishing the challenge.
  6. Unlike Persona 5, most social links do not give you little perks (besides the xp bonus when fusing the matching arcana Persona). The Hermit social link does give you perks for raising it, also the social links for the party members do have perks for raising them, so definitely try to prioritize them.
  7. If you hear rattling chains while exploring a dungeon, be careful. When you try to open a treasure chest (while the rattling is heard), one of your party members may warn you not to do it and that something dangerous may emerge. If you choose to open it anyway you will have to fight the Reaper. The Reaper is super tough and if you are low level you should attempt to flee. If you defeat the Reaper he will drop a best-in-slot item for one of your characters. So if you are high enough level and feel confident, go for it.

Famiboards-4.png

We need to talk about endings for a bit. Persona 4 has a few and getting a good one is desirable. There are a few bad/stupid ones. Ones that aren't worth your time and if you want to see them, just Youtube them after you beat them. Feel to PM me even, I can point you in the right direction.

Now, let's talk about getting a good ending. I will hide the text options you must pick behind a spoiler. i will not say more than I have to within these, just give enough info to make sure you don't go the wrong way and get a bad ending.

Getting the True Ending (this was the ending to the original PlayStation 2 version of Persona 4)

You have to make important dialog choices on three days: December 3rd, December 5th, and March 20th.

December 3rd:
Yosuke will ask you "What do you want to do Leader?, use the following dialogue choices in order:
  • Wait a second here…
  • We’re missing something.
  • Censored true feelings.
  • Something’s been bothering me.
  • We’re missing something…
  • Calm the hell down!
The one that says Censored is the name of a character that shows up later in the story that i don't want to say. in this post.
"

December 5th:

You will need to name the killer and tell your friends your suspicions about them. You may have figured out who it is by now, if not i will hide the answer within a spoiler. Do not click unless you are at this point of the game and still haven't figured it out.
Last Chance, i am serious.
Adachi

March 20th:

The game will tell you that you should go home and get prepared for tomorrow. Do not do this. Instead go to the Junes Food Court. The game will try to dissuade you, but go there anyway.

Doing this will get you the true ending of Persona 4. But Golden added an extra ending, the Golden Ending.

To get the Golden ending:

Do everything for the True Ending. Get the Aeon social link maxed before December 24th. This unlocks a new dungeon which you must complete before February 13th. Do this and you get the Golden ending.

Famiboards-2.png

https://www.godisageek.com/reviews/persona-4-golden-nintendo-switch-review/

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/235...ck-switch-xbox-game-pass-ps4-ps5-release-date

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/persona-4-golden

https://noisypixel.net/persona-4-golden-switch-review/

https://themakoreactor.com/reviews/...-vs-xbox-series-x-comparisons-and-more/44880/

https://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/persona-4-golden

https://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2020/06/review-persona-4-golden-pc.html

https://www.purexbox.com/reviews/xbox-series-x/persona-4-golden

Famiboards-6.png

This game means a lot to me. It's one of my favorite games, my online handle is the name of a character from the game. I really love the characters and the town of Inaba, I can relate to it myself. I have lived in a bigger city and then had to go to a smaller boring town, but ultimately I have a web of friends that mean the world to me and it's what helps me get by. So enough of being sappy. Whether you are new to the game or are just coming back for another round, stop by, say hi. Let's talk this great game with everybody, share advice and tips. Stay Golden.

Last edited:
Alright, seems finished, the game should be out in about 24 hours, so the countdown begins here.

Last edited:
I look forward to getting to play this for the first time!
Just as soon as I finish 5 and then 3. 😅
I am almost done with 5 royal. Likes on the verge of beating it, so I'm gonna finish it up tonight. Then its straight on to Persona 4 tomorrow (and Fire Emblem Friday). It's a great time to be a JRPG fan.

Persona 3 will be started when i finish my 4 replay.

Also I have added a pole, please vote.

Nice ST. Hope the port is good. I don't think anything will come close to when snowflakes plays in P4G!
I think there are more reviews up on Metacritic if you want to include them.

Nice ST. Hope the port is good. I don't think anything will come close to when snowflakes plays in P4G!
I think there are more reviews up on Metacritic if you want to include them.
apparently it is 60 fps on Switch even. Thanks for that advice, i added more reviews, including for sites reviews for all of the new platforms getting the game.

apparently it is 60 fps on Switch even. Thanks for that advice, i added more reviews, including for sites reviews for all of the new platforms getting the game.
Thank you!
Wait this doesn’t help me yet, I’m doing P3P as my entry to the series XD
Hope you got the P5R 50% off deal if you live in USA on Amazon!
Thanks dude, it's been a great time to be a Persona fan lately.

7cyzecrlns861.jpg
Both best characters :)

Great ST @Chie ! I'm not planning a replay (way too much else to play) but I have beaten Golden once! Very much enjoyed it. Chie is great, but Naoto is my favorite character in the game. Actually, I take that back, Nanako is the real MVP.

Great ST!

I played Persona 4 back in the day, and really fell in love with its story, world and characters. (Yukiko best girl) Good luck to first-timers, and enjoy!

Great ST! I played it at the end of last year after starting it on the Vita many, many years ago and finally finishing it on Steam. I think it's a good game with a great central mystery, with a mostly likeable cast and a unique setting. Unfortunately two of your party members just straight up suck and the handling of some of the themes is very poor, which is not unexpected for the 2000s but still disappointing. I hope those playing for the first time enjoy!

Wonderful ST.

Tomorrow starts my "modern Persona canon" playthrough.

Going through:

P3P -> P4G -> Catherine: Full Body -> P4U -> PQ -> P4D -> P5R -> PQ2 -> P5S

I can't wait.

Also, at this point it probably goes without saying, but the soundtrack is killer!

The song SNOWFLAKES is 👏 too but I won't link it, as hearing it for the first time in game is magical.

Is P5D not canon? I assume P3D isn't canon.

From what I've gathered it "isn't" (I'm fully aware that "canon" is a loaded term with Persona lol) but I've heard the story in both 3 and 5 Dancing really isn't that substantial like P4D's so it doesn't really matter either way. I erred on the side of leaving them out.

I know 5 references P4D in the tiniest ways which is cool.

From what I've gathered it "isn't" (I'm fully aware that "canon" is a loaded term with Persona lol) but I've heard the story in both 3 and 5 Dancing really isn't that substantial like P4D's so it doesn't really matter either way. I erred on the side of leaving them out.

I know 5 references P4D in the tiniest ways which is cool.
5 has costumes from P4D and also the posters of
Rise and Kanami
that pop up around tokyo. Probably the most references to 4 we get in 5 outside
the detective prince name drops and that souvenir with Teddie on it. It is funny that you can hang that Rise poster in your room though

5 has costumes from P4D and also the posters of
Rise and Kanami
that pop up around tokyo. Probably the most references to 4 we get in 5 outside
the detective prince name drops and that souvenir with Teddie on it. It is funny that you can hang that Rise poster in your room though

Previous game references in P5 spoilers:

Also, if you keep checking in on the TV in Leblanc they talk about Namatame's political career in Inaba and Yukiko's Inn on separate occasions. The TV also mentions Yukari's acting in children's superhero shows. Love, love, love these details.

Hung the Rise poster up immediately.

Is P5D not canon? I assume P3D isn't canon.

They're probably about as 'canon' as the persona q games are, being that they're handwaved away with 'but nobody remembers any of these events happening for reasons', whereas P4D, Strikers and the Arena games have no such caveats, but that doesn't mean much in personas overall canon anyway.

Wait this doesn’t help me yet, I’m doing P3P as my entry to the series XD

Honestly man, P3P is fairly skippable, especially with rumours of a full P3 remake floating around. I'd start with P4G which is a masterpiece, then P5R. Both games are like 80-100+ hours long so if after you've finished those, still want more Persona, and a P3 remake hasn't been announced yet, that's when I'd go back to P3P, lol.

Honestly man, P3P is fairly skippable, especially with rumours of a full P3 remake floating around. I'd start with P4G which is a masterpiece, then P5R. Both games are like 80-100+ hours long so if after you've finished those, still want more Persona, and a P3 remake hasn't been announced yet, that's when I'd go back to P3P, lol.
I enjoyed P3 (I played FES, not Portable), but I agree with this. It's definitely a skippable entry. If you're interested in trying the series out P4 and P5 are better starting points.

That said:

Remake probably won’t effect me cause it probably won’t have FeMC or be on switch XD (also I got 5R during the sales, strikers too). But shrug I may be swayed. Then again right now I’m feeling tempted to jump into my copy of hackers memory XD

Yeah, it's a dangerous game deciding to skip P3 because of a theoretical remake. If it exists, you'd hope they'd put it on the Switch day and date with any other platforms, but...

Yeah, it's a dangerous game deciding to skip P3 because of a theoretical remake. If it exists, you'd hope they'd put it on the Switch day and date with any other platforms, but...

I just think it's straight up not as good. And the stories don't connect so it's not like there's a narrative reason to play it first. P4G and P5R are definitely a big step up and if those games make you a series fan I'd say then would be the time to go back to P3.

Did I overcome my reluctance to play long games on PC to finish the Steam version back when it released? Yes.

Will I double dip and play through it again? Also yes.

Great ST @Chie!

Can’t believe some of the P3 slander I’m seeing here, for me it might be the best Persona.

P5 is the one to skip if you were gonna skip any.
Persona 3, unlike 4/Golden and either version of P5 desperately needs a definitive edition created to be on the level of the other 2 games.

Nobody is going to take a niche opinion like skip the most popular game for the least popular one with any real degree of seriousness

It’s a corny answer but it’s true: P3P, P4G and P5R each kind of have their own strengths and thematic drive that makes each one very much still worth playing, if you ask me!

It’s a corny answer but it’s true: P3P, P4G and P5R each kind of have their own strengths and thematic drive that makes each one very much still worth playing, if you ask me!
P3 is a fucking amazing game, I really hope they put out a remake so people can experience it in the best possible form!

Meanwhile, it's good P3P exists. I will personally be avoiding it (would have jumped day 0 if it was FES lol), but I am glad the option exists for fans and newcomers alike.

P3 is a fucking amazing game, I really hope they put out a remake so people can experience it in the best possible form!

Meanwhile, it's good P3P exists. I will personally be avoiding it (would have jumped day 0 if it was FES lol), but I am glad the option exists for fans and newcomers alike.
Yeah, it’s too bad that 3 — at least for now? — is the only one that doesn’t have a fully definitive version. I was going to give myself more of a Persona buffer but after putting the P3P ST together today…I’m back in hah

Also, at this point it probably goes without saying, but the soundtrack is killer!

The song SNOWFLAKES is 👏 too but I won't link it, as hearing it for the first time in game is magical.

Heartbeat Heartbreak Dancing All Night remix is better than this version IMO. Only song I managed to perfect at hard difficulty (All Night difficulty is straight up impossible lol). Your Affection is also pretty fun to play.

Where are the dancing games on Switch Atlus?

I hope they won't forget Eternal Punishment this time. I'll never forget the time they gave us the straight PSone version instead of localizing the PSP remake.
Oh, don't count on P1/2IS/2EP lol, that's just asking to be disappointed

Feel like the persona 3/4/5 dancing games will get randomly ported to steam and Switch at some point. Kinda expect it to be a random shadow drop in a future direct.

This is nonsensical (and I am of the mind that vanilla P5 is the worst of the modern "trilogy", but this is still nonsensical; with Royal in contention, it's just... even more not right).
I'm not saying any of them should be skipped but 5 is definitely the most skippable. Don't think it's crazy to say it has the worst characters, story, and arguably music.

I'm not saying any of them should be skipped but 5 is definitely the most skippable. Don't think it's crazy to say it has the worst characters, story, and arguably music.
Characters and story is debatable for sure (although it's my favorite of 4 and 5 for those) but MUSIC? WHAT. It's probably my favorite game OST of literally all time, and while I think 4 has some good tracks it's overall not even remotely close IMO (I actually think 4 has the worst OST of the three)

Nani!?

Like, story I can get (it's the most thematically ambitious, and buckles under its own weight a lot, though Royal patches it up a bit)

Characters, I disagree (I think 4's cast is the best, but 5's is significantly better developed than 3's is), but at least I can get the preference for how 3 handles its characters, and 4 is 4, so I get 5 being the worst.

But music? Not at all. Never. Not even once. 5 is the best in terms of music, and that's not counting Royal (adding Royal just makes the whole thing unfair).

And this is all without considering the very significant areas where 5 is unquestionably the best - the art style, the aesthetic, the dungeon design, the combat, the gameplay in general, the QoL, the UI, the the traversal, and once more, that's before Royal, Royal just makes it unfair.

Like P5 is so much better playing than the other two games, I absolutely would not agree with that take at all. P5 (and P5R more specifically) is the best and most full fledged realization of the Persona formula. 3 is a rough draft, 4 is a more polished draft still in need of some editing, 5 and 5R is basically what the series has been trying to go for all along. And how they play is extremely important, especially in 100 hour games lol.

I don't think you can call any Persona game inessential. Actually, I think you can, 4 is the least essential game in the modern series, it just also happens to be the best, so you can't really skip it.

It’s been years since I waited for this, will play it immediately after work

Got a couple of questions though

- Which difficulty option? From what I hear the game is much easier than the PS2 version so is Very Hard the best option? For reference I played the following in default difficulties: Persona 3 FES (first SMT game, died some times including in dungeons but no huge difficulty spike or grinding), SMT Nocturne (solid challenge throughout the game, no excessive grinding at times though), SMT IV/A/Soul Hackers (all pretty easy outside of a few gimmick bosses). So I’m wondering about the best difficulty option here

- I know you need to max the Social Link of the new character to access the new content. Besides that, I’m wondering how if you can max them all in one playthrough without a guide? I didn’t max them all in P3 as I was just doing them in the order I felt, apparently to max them in one playthrough in that game you needed to make pretty anticlimactic choices, like saving the Moon Social Link for last. I heard that P4 and P5 are much more lenient on that aspect so I’m wondering if I can just “role play” through the game and not rush any of them besides the new character

- So I’m going with Japanese voices for sure. As for the written language, I feel like being petty and playing through the game in French to make sure that I don’t see that stupid GAF meme. Is the translation good though, can someone that played P5R in French confirm that? For reference I played NEO TWEWY in French despite having played the first game in English (only available language at the time). I thought it was good tbh, a bit heavy on the France slang but still a good depiction of young people speaking without being too cringy. So can I trust the FIGS translations of Atlus games or not

One of the best games I owned my Vita for and one of my favourite Atlus games ever.

Shame I don't have time for it right now but definitely getting this at some point this year, since I've not played it in years now.

Back
Top Bottom