• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Persona 4 Golden |ST| Reach Out To The Truth (Please read OP before posting)

Is this your first time playing Persona 4?

• Never played a Persona game ever

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Have played other Persona games, but not 4

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • I have played the original PS2 version of Persona 4, but not Golden

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Have played Golden, replay time!

Votes: 24 49.0%

• Total voters
Yeah, especially since literally everything else about how Yosuke and Yu’s dynamic is written hints strongly at a romance route. They should have just left it in.
What's really weird is that the voice lines were found by dataminers. In English too. With the big gap between Japan and the west getting the game they really removed that at the 11th hour.

Although I haven't played this game yet, and am really excited to, warts and all!, I keep finding out new things about its writing in the oddest ways!

For example, I'd heard (and been accidentally spoiled about some pretty big stuff hahaha) that Golden is actually a bit of a setback to the characterization writing of most of the main cast. Because, well, it added more content to a previously tightly written game, so it also ended up adding needless drama and steps back in their growth. Funnily enough, the write up I saw also focused on Yosuke, though they claimed this adaptation devolution had happened to the other characters too.

The main points I remember reading about in this case were,
  • that Yosuke is written to be less of a "horndog" in the original: when he's around other people, and especially girls, he feels like he has to performatively talk about them and/or their bodies, but after he reaches a certain level of closeness with Yu/MC, he confesses that a big part of how he acts around other people is basically fake -- he's acting how he thinks he should act, seemingly based on how his old city friends expected him to. When he's talking alone with Yu/MC, he's supposedly showing more of his "realer" self, and that self doesn't say shit about girls nearly as much...
  • ...two big examples were that he actually recognized Rise by her hair, but pretended to have recognized her by her body in front of the others...
  • ...and when he asks Yu/MC about his romantic preferences, he only ever talks about the girl's personalities and positive traits.
  • All of which goes down the drain in Golden, because a bunch of scenes were added about Yosuke randomly talking to Yu/MC about random girls, and being a lot more obsessed with getting a girlfriend -- any girlfriend.
  • They also talked about how a certain infamous and upsetting scene with Kanji reads (slightly! it's still badly handled!) differently when Yosuke is actually not that obsessed with girls, but thinks that this is what guys Should Be Like.
  • And about how Yosuke feels like less of an asshat after Teddy gets new clothes, because, in the original, he's upset because he was saving up for his dream, his motorcycle. In Golden, he already has his motorcycle, so being upset about the money loss feels more mean spirited.
  • Which reminds me, the original apparently also never says anything about the motorcycle being a mean to pick up girls.

Wow! My memory for this random internet essay turned out to be much better than I'd thought it'd be. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it by googling, so I can't credit the actual author -- if anybody happens to know who initially compiled all this stuff, I'll add a link here.

Anyway this is in thanks for you guys having let me know that there were Yosuke romance lines in the files somewhere! (wait what seriously?!) This is probably super old news for everybody, but well, I live under a rock! Definitely an interesting factor to keep in mind when I finally get around to playing this game.

Oh! ETA since I plain forgot to write this out: Of course, as I haven't played either of these versions yet, I can't really speak for the effect that this person apparently felt so keenly? I don't know, it makes enough sense as I remember it written, but to me it doesn't feel like they altered this particular character beyond recognition, just... gave him a different spin, I guess. Did anybody here feel any big alterations between the writing of vanilla Persona 4 and Golden?

I'm particularly fascinated by storytelling in all its forms, so analyzing the mechanics of it -- how did a story arrive at its known form, what choices were made so that it was made just so, why were these the final choices, what were the alternatives... I find it all really interesting.

For future record, here are the datamined lines, in English and Japanese:

Last edited:
Does this game have the ability to fuse Personas even if you don't have the Personas you need with you like in Persona 5? IIRC in P5R you could automatically pay to summon Personas from the compendium even if you didn't have them with you. So far in this game it looks like the search only shows you what you can create with the ones you have with you. Not sure if I'm missing something or if that was a quality of life improvement in P5R.

Does this game have the ability to fuse Personas even if you don't have the Personas you need with you like in Persona 5? IIRC in P5R you could automatically pay to summon Personas from the compendium even if you didn't have them with you. So far in this game it looks like the search only shows you what you can create with the ones you have with you. Not sure if I'm missing something or if that was a quality of life improvement in P5R.
I think that’s a QoL enhancement 5 introduced

Hey all,

I understand there has been some discomfort here on the forum about the ST being lacking in addressing the games problematic content. I've spoken to the mods about it and have adjusted the ST based on their feedback and help. I'd like to throw a big thank you to @Irene for reaching out.

I'd like to apologize to anyone here on the forum that I may have made to feel uncomfortable. It's no secret that I'm a massive fan of this game but it does have some severe flaws. I should have done better the first time and would like to say I'm sorry.

Hey all,

I understand there has been some discomfort here on the forum about the ST being lacking in addressing the games problematic content. I've spoken to the mods about it and have adjusted the ST based on their feedback and help. I'd like to throw a big thank you to @Irene for reaching out.

I'd like to apologize to anyone here on the forum that I may have made to feel uncomfortable. It's no secret that I'm a massive fan of this game but it does have some severe flaws. I should have done better the first time and would like to say I'm sorry.
I think the OP update is a good and necessary one. I love P4, but I think it has several issues with the content that shouldn’t be swept under the rug and should be open for discussion. I can only hope that Atlus and the Persona games do better on this front going forward. There’s a lot of ground to make up for, given that they consistently drop the ball on these issues. Hopefully given the series’ now global profile, more attention will be paid by the developers towards making sure that there is no content in the game that is similarly objectionable going forward.

EDIT: I want to add, I did attempt to engage with this discussion myself earlier in the thread, and while I was trying to respond in good faith on my part, if any of what I said came off as dismissive or handwavey, I do want to apologize for that myself. That was not my intention and I should have communicated my point better.

Last edited:
I think the OP update is a good and necessary one. I love P4, but I think it has several issues with the content that shouldn’t be swept under the rug and should be open for discussion. I can only hope that Atlus and the Persona games do better on this front going forward. There’s a lot of ground to make up for, given that they consistently drop the ball on these issues. Hopefully given the series’ now global profile, more attention will be paid by the developers towards making sure that there is no content in the game that is similarly objectionable going forward.
At least the Royal changes to Persona 5's worst scenes are an encouraging baby step forward. It would, of course, be better to tackle these problems at the source, but at least the localization team appears to understand the problems, which has me hopeful that future games will avoid the offensive stereotypes and scenes.

At least the Royal changes to Persona 5's worst scenes are an encouraging baby step forward. It would, of course, be better to tackle these problems at the source, but at least the localization team appears to understand the problems, which has me hopeful that future games will avoid the offensive stereotypes and scenes.
Yeah, I think Royal (and Strikers) are definitely better on this front though of course, especially in the case of the former, it’s more of a band aid given the scene has to be kept and they have to write around it.

But yes, I think the localization team understands these issues need to be avoided, and I think Atlus understands that the bulk of Persona’s popularity at this point comes from international sales, so I hope their concerns will be accommodated in the development of the next game to begin with.

Just like P3, P4 has some pretty stellar songs that really come to their own in Dancing All Night.

Now I Know (the ending theme iirc) has a remix that goes haaaaaard.

Just like P3, P4 has some pretty stellar songs that really come to their own in Dancing All Night.

Now I Know (the ending theme iirc) has a remix that goes haaaaaard.

I think P4D has the best remixes of the three dancing games, tbh

I would also say it's the best of the three dancing games in general, it was packed with an absurd amount of content (including a terrible, terrible story mode), and a lot of songs before DLC

I think the praise it got for handling queer characters is bizarre in retrospect. The game comes off as hateful of queer people in 2023 as it did in 2008. The game is homophobic and transphobic on a themeatic level.

Yeah, this seems to have been the case then and now. There are just more cis/straight people now who are aware of these issues.
Agree... Yosuke's homophobia is off the charts. During the class field trip he couldn't bare to share a tent with Kanji as naturally he was convinced he'd be violated.

Guess I got lucky constantly having cold feel on double dipping for these digitally, day 1 for both for Switch.

Guess I got lucky constantly having cold feel on double dipping for these digitally, day 1 for both for Switch.
I really should’ve known better and stuck to my policy of waiting a year before buying anything on the eShop. I just figured being Sega/Atlus if they wanted to physically print these they would’ve.

I’m guessing in this case LGR approached them and offered to do the $200 CEs on top of it and assume most of the risk/responsibility for the feelies production.

I really should’ve known better and stuck to my policy of waiting a year before buying anything on the eShop. I just figured being Sega/Atlus if they wanted to physically print these they would’ve.

I’m guessing in this case LGR approached them and offered to do the $200 CEs on top of it and assume most of the risk/responsibility for the feelies production.
Honestly I'm shocked more companies aren't approaching LRG for stuff like this, especially if they're already doing a physical run in Asia. Companies like LRG or NISA can justify selling physical copies or Plumbers Don't Wear Ties or Rhapsody Collection in the year of our lord 2023, but Capcom/Sega/Bandai Namco/etc can't justify a normal US print run for Apollo Justice/Persona/Baten Kaitos/etc.

Oll I'll definitely buy these. But considering how long it takes for leg to ship stuff out I'm not mad at grabbing them each for 20 at launch and being able to play them at the beginning of this year, vs A year from today.

Can't wait to see the premium edition for 4.

Honestly I'm shocked more companies aren't approaching LRG for stuff like this, especially if they're already doing a physical run in Asia.
If I'm not mistaken, what made this weird from the start was that Atlus and Sega opted not to do a physical release in Asia,

Oll I'll definitely buy these. But considering how long it takes for leg to ship stuff out I'm not mad at grabbing them each for 20 at launch and being able to play them at the beginning of this year, vs A year from today.
Yea, I've cooled off a little about this and yea having picked this up on sale means I can play it NOW vs a year or more from now. And it's not the first time I've double-dipped with an LRG release.

Fuck LRG and fuck Sega for choosing LRG 😊

Yes, I get it, without LRG there wouldn't be a physical version. But do we really want to support that company after all the shit they pulled off?!

sigh

I guess I'm double-dipping. Should've held out during the pre-TGS sale but here we are. Thanks Sega.
Let's goooooo!! I held out buying digital hoping for a physical version. So glad!

I gave up on getting physical as it's just too pricey and managed to get the game on the eShop on New Years sale along with my gold coins for less than £8.

Just started this game and I'm already enjoying the atmosphere and vibes. Some of the anime cutscenes gave me goosebumps lol.

I assume I have to make important decisions to get the true ending right? From what I understand, theres a true ending and a Golden ending? Can you get both or it has to be one of them?

I gave up on getting physical as it's just too pricey and managed to get the game on the eShop on New Years sale along with my gold coins for less than £8.

Just started this game and I'm already enjoying the atmosphere and vibes. Some of the anime cutscenes gave me goosebumps lol.

I assume I have to make important decisions to get the true ending right? From what I understand, theres a true ending and a Golden ending? Can you get both or it has to be one of them?
Golden has the true ending in it

Ahh, that's good to know! Is there anyone specific if I have to max out their social link like in P5?
There's both the true ending (ending for the ps2 original version) and golden ending (new ending made for golden). You can only get one or the other, I mention in the op what you have to do to get either. Requirements aren't too demanding. You have to.max the aeon pink which is Marie.

There's both the true ending (ending for the ps2 original version) and golden ending (new ending made for golden). You can only get one or the other, I mention in the op what you have to do to get either. Requirements aren't too demanding. You have to.max the aeon pink which is Marie.
So a Golden Ending and a True Ending? Which one would everyone recommend getting? I assume the Golden Ending because of the additional content?

So a Golden Ending and a True Ending? Which one would everyone recommend getting? I assume the Golden Ending because of the additional content?
I personally prefer the true ending. But thats down mainly to me having played the ps2 version first and preferring how it plays there more. I also don't care for the new character you have to max to get the Golden one, Marie. As a part of doing the golden ending you have to do an extra dungeon.

So of you are wanting to experience the most content the game has to offer then you should try for the golden ending.

I personally prefer the true ending. But thats down mainly to me having played the ps2 version first and preferring how it plays there more. I also don't care for the new character you have to max to get the Golden one, Marie. As a part of doing the golden ending you have to do an extra dungeon.

So of you are wanting to experience the most content the game has to offer then you should try for the golden ending.
Hmm...I kinda want to experience both now lol.

I guess it's possible to make a separate save just before the main decision that decides the ending?

1st dungeon cleared. So far, it's alright but man, the soundtrack is so damn catchy and good lol.

Keep singing heartbeat/heartbreak in my head 😅

1st dungeon cleared. So far, it's alright but man, the soundtrack is so damn catchy and good lol.

Keep singing heartbeat/heartbreak in my head 😅
That might be my favorite song on the whole soundtrack, it's so good. Along with the song that plays in your house. P4 has some excellent 'exploring the town' music

Update on my playthrough, currently on December 3rd...I have so many emotions running through right now.

Nanako dead? I actually refuse she's dead, wtffff

God, it's insane how quickly I got attached to these characters.

Last edited:
Update: I have completed P4G!

After 60 hours, I have finally reached the true golden ending and whew, what a ride lol.

First things first, thank god for this OT and the guide towards the true ending and being perhaps the best spoiler free guide.

Second, it's actually ridiculous, if it weren't for the guide, I would have NEVER guessed how to achieve the true ending.

Now, I couldn't help but keep comparing this game with P5 because I'm going to be real here, P5 gameplay is so much better especially with actual curated/designed dungeons unlike Golden which is randomly generated.

On the other hand, I definitely vibed more with the characters compared to P5. I laughed way more often with their dynamics as well as cringed lol.

Also, that ending and epilogue was everything I wanted, made me smile like an idiot 😅

I could talk all day about it but it was definitely worth buying the game. Now I wish P3R was on Switch but according to rumours, it will be on Switch 2 but I have no idea how long I have to wait for that lol.

Overall, solid 9/10.

After 60 hours, I have finally reached the true golden ending and whew, what a ride lol.

First things first, thank god for this OT and the guide towards the true ending and being perhaps the best spoiler free guide.

Second, it's actually ridiculous, if it weren't for the guide, I would have NEVER guessed how to achieve the true ending.

Now, I couldn't help but keep comparing this game with P5 because I'm going to be real here, P5 gameplay is so much better especially with actual curated/designed dungeons unlike Golden which is randomly generated.

On the other hand, I definitely vibed more with the characters compared to P5. I laughed way more often with their dynamics as well as cringed lol.

Also, that ending and epilogue was everything I wanted, made me smile like an idiot 😅

I could talk all day about it but it was definitely worth buying the game. Now I wish P3R was on Switch but according to rumours, it will be on Switch 2 but I have no idea how long I have to wait for that lol.

Overall, solid 9/10.
Wow, only 60. I’ll probably take longer but that’s still encouraging to hear

Yeah, I like P5. A lot. It's my favorite Persona game, but the entry I love is P4, to be completely honest.

Overall, solid 9/10.
I'm glad you enjoyed the game as much as you did. P4 has such a cozy, summery feel. My favorite rpg and favorite casts in a game (if my username and profile pic weren't clu enough).

Getting the true ending the first time I played it was a real challenge, having to lookup the correct things to say was like tiptoing through a minefield (of spoilers). I really made a point to present a totally spoiler free version that is safe to look at it for newcomers.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game as much as you did. P4 has such a cozy, summery feel. My favorite rpg and favorite casts in a game (if my username and profile pic weren't clu enough).

Getting the true ending the first time I played it was a real challenge, having to lookup the correct things to say was like tiptoing through a minefield (of spoilers). I really made a point to present a totally spoiler free version that is safe to look at it for newcomers.
No honestly, your spoiler free guide was really helpful even when clicking on the spoilers, you still manage to make it still vague in terms of spoilers which is really grateful.

And for sure, I actually love the cosy and mysterious vibes of Inaba. Already feeling nostalgic and want to go back lol.

I am awaiting my copy of Golden to reach, but now that I finished P5R, I am looking forward to Golden. From what people say about Golden, I might enjoy it more than 5.

Where do you guys think the next Persona game could take place? Will it stay on Japan?
I don't think there's any risk they move it out of Japan. That's the series' bread and butter and it's too successful to risk upsetting that apple cart.

Personally, I would love a place like Kyoto. Kind of a mix of the rural and urban vibes of previous games.

I don't think there's any risk they move it out of Japan. That's the series' bread and butter and it's too successful to risk upsetting that apple cart.

Personally, I would love a place like Kyoto. Kind of a mix of the rural and urban vibes of previous games.
Never thought of Kyoto! That’d be perfect, because P3 was city, P4 was countryside and now P5 was city (technically we got city again with Reload). I think we should go to the countryside or have a mix of both

Considering Yakuza went to the US and it was on the table for 5, it's definitely a possibility for 6 imo. Be a good way to really show this is a new era for the franchise with the new creative team

I’m laughing xD

Where do you guys think the next Persona game could take place? Will it stay on Japan?

Probably still Japan. Yakuza games come out so quickly that having Yakuza 8 partly America isn't too weird. Persona games come out once a decade, I don't see them swinging for the fences with the series anytime soon, outside the characters visiting somewhere like the Hawaii trip in 5.

Also Code Lyoko was a great show.

I am awaiting my copy of Golden to reach, but now that I finished P5R, I am looking forward to Golden. From what people say about Golden, I might enjoy it more than 5.

Did you order the lrg version, still waiting on my copy though I have the grimoire edition so I'll be waiting a bit.

Be sure to stop by later and let us know what you think. Definitely check my guide in the op for getting the best ending.

Back
Top Bottom