• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST27 December 2023| Have a Cuppa with Your Fami

Choose wisely!

• Tea

• Coffee

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MissingNo.

Nothing beats a jelly-filled doughnut!
Pronouns
He/Him

JNx6n2m.jpg

It’s that time of the year again. After a long, eventful, and arduous couple of months, our current journey 'round the sun is finally coming to a close. Wait, already? Time really flies, huh.

But anyway – welcome, friends and fami, to the 27th installment of our beloved Nintendo General Discussion ST; which, coincidentally, also marks my 27th threadiversary on Famiboards. I have pondered doing one of these for a hot minute, so here we go at long last. And since it's freezing cold outside, I invite everyone to gather round the fireplace and get comfy with a nice, piping hot beverage. Grab a blanket, too, if you like – and would somebody bring some biscuits!

What is this thread?

If you’ve been around, you will already know. This thread is the heart and soul of our community. It’s where we gather to casually discuss everything Nintendo. Whenever there is a lack of anything Nintendo to discuss, it’s where we casually talk about… well, just about everything, else really. This is a cosy place by nature, and sometimes it will ramble. But that’s the beauty of it.

In case you are new around here: Welcome! Get in here and say hi, if you want. You can also stop by this thread in case you want to introduce yourself and learn more about other members.

Should you be looking for more focused discussion, we also got you covered! Feel free to check out the utter behemoth that is the Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion for in-depth talk on all the technological aspects of Nintendo’s upcoming console, such as how many flops one can fit into this bad boy, or how many rays it will be able to trace. Feeling more casual? Step into the Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread. If you ever found yourself being curious about everyone’s opinions on how much Nintendo’s next console will cost, when it might launch and which games it will launch with, and why, oh why an all new F-Zero won’t be one of them – this is the thread for you!

Naturally, there is also a great variety of other threads out there. Browse Treehouse for gaming related ones, and make sure to check out The Roost as well for discussion on everything beyond. Movies, TV, sports, hobbies, arts and craft, politics, self-improvement – you name it, we got it. And if somehow we don’t, why not make a thread for it yourself.

Okay, all of that seems pretty standard, but why so cosy?

Why so–?!?

Listen. Winter is probably my favourite time of the year. Yes, I could do without the ice and snow, and due to global warming, for most of winter I already can. But with the exception of autumn, there is no other season that oozes cosiness as much as winter does. And I absolutely love it! Sure, it’s cold, and wet, and windy outside, but who cares when you are inside, all nice and warm and cosy, looking out your window into the foggy wilderness while sipping on a hot beverage?

Also, we need a cosy thread for December. Or at least I do. It is typically the busiest time of the year, and I for one really, really need a cosy refuge from all the stress going on out there, especially when it's exponentially multiplied by holiday season.

What is there to talk about this month?

Good question, let me break it down for you as best I can – I will probably have forgotten something noteworthy, which I’d invite you to vent about in the comment section below if this weren’t such a chill thread. But anyway, as far as specific topics go, we have:

Games:

December is traditionally a bit light in terms of big game releases and this year is no exception, but we do have at least a few notable ones still, such as:
  • Batman: Arkham Trilogy – 1st December (Switch)
  • Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince – 1st December (Switch)
  • SteamWorld Build – 1st December (Switch, PlayStation, Xbox, PC)
  • A Highland Song – 5th December (Switch)
  • Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora – 7th December (PlayStation, Xbox)
  • Outer Wilds – 7th December (Switch)

Events:

The annual WORLD PREMIERE FESTIVUS is upon us, more commonly known as The Game Awards 2023 (7th December). @Irene has a thread in the works for more in-depth discussion, so you can look forward to that!
Pro tip: If you absolutely have to watch the event live instead of reading up on the announcements later and thus circumventing the, uhm, entertainment factor, consider going with a mulled wine or mead as your hot beverage of choice for this occasion. And who knows, viewers who persevere might just be rewarded with a glimpse of Metroid Prime 4, so that’s nice...

Jump Festa 2024 (16th to 17th December) is something our Anime connoisseurs will enjoy. We usually get the odd video game announcement here too, so it’s something to keep an eye on if that’s your kind of jam.

However, perhaps much more importantly, we also have...

Community questions!

Many a General Discussion thread included weekly questions to set a theme for the thread and invite discussion around specific topics. I have opted to do something similar while dropping the somewhat rigid limitations, in an effort to create a better fit for the cosy ambience of this thread. So instead of one question a week, I offer two for the entire month. Feel free to answer each of them whenever, and in whichever order you like.

1) What is your favourite hot beverage?

Tea or coffee, the endless debate. Perhaps you have a clear favourite. Maybe it depends on your mood, the weather, the time of day, what have you. Whichever you choose, how do you take it? Milk or sugar? Some honey, perhaps? Do you have a favourite type, a favourite blend? Do you prefer cocoa instead, or perhaps even plain warm milk? I could go on, but make sure to let me know, because I am curious!

2) What is your favourite cosy video game?

A video game befitting of the vibe of the season. One you will play on a snowy Sunday afternoon after getting comfortable on your sofa with a blanket and a nice hot cup of [Answer to Question No. 1] and completely lose yourself in. Your personal feel-good game, if you will. Got more than one? That’s even better!

The Nintendo General Discussion Family of Threads

As is tradition, I want to give a shout-out to all the wonderful people who have contributed to the long and illustrious line of General Discussion threads. Just look at them hanging out together in their cosy lounge. Aren’t you just a little bit jealous? I know I am!

NNqNj7x.jpg

Note that I prepared this as far back as mid October and some of you have changed your avatars since, but I decided to leave it as is since I lost the working file for it and didn’t want to start from scratch. Because I’m lazy cosy like that.

General Discussion Threads of the Past:

|ST Oct 2021| by @mazi
|ST2 Nov 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or… by @Derachi
|ST3 Dec 2021| Topical Threes by @Suswave
|ST4 Jan 2022| Resurrections by @Skittzo
|ST5 Feb 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3 by @Dardan Sandiego
|ST6 Mar 2022| Marchful Mode by @EvilChameleon
|ST7 Apr 2022| Launch Timing Update For ST7 Sequel by @EvilChameleon
|ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8 by @Barely Able
|ST9 June 2022| This is Miyamoto. Have a fun summer! by @Irene
|ST10 July 2022| Julyve A Live by @Plum
|ST11 Aug 2022| Everybody’s 11-12 Discussion Thread by @Legion of Primes
|ST12 Sept 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03 by @xghost777
|ST13 Oct 2022| Our First Famiversary! by @hologram
|ST14 Nov 2022| Comfy And Easy To Wear by @bellydrum
|ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami by @Red Monster
|ST16 Jan 2023| Team Famuary Stays Winning by @chocolate_supra
|ST17 Feb 2023| Octopath Traveling II Directland Deluxe by @SammyJ9
|ST18 March 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month by @Brofield
|ST19 April 2023| A tradition unlike any other by @Josh5890
|ST20 May 2023| Every Teardrop is a Waterfall by @Irene
|ST21 June 2023| Welcome to Famipark! by @Party Sklar
|ST22 July 2023| PIKMINVASION by @famicorpse
|ST23 August 2023| Things Get WEIRD by @shoptroll
|ST24 September 2023| Barely Able Will Star as the Main Poster in a Brand New ST (temp.) by @Barely Able
|ST25 October 2023| Have a Wonderful Famiversary! by @VolcanicDynamo
|ST26 November 2023| The Man Who Erased His Moves by @Derachi

General Discussion Threads of the Future:

Want to claim one of the upcoming threads? Hit me up and I will add you to the list!

|ST28 January 2024| by @ngpdrew
|ST29 February 2024| by @Suswave
|ST30 March 2024| by @Raccoon

|ST3X Unknown 2024| by @Aurc (reserved for the Month of Metroid – #TrustTheProcess)

All that being said, have fun and stay cosy!

Last edited:
Wonderful ST, and the answer to the question is tea, obviously. I gotta get back into drinking it every so often instead of every 15 days.

Chill? How could you say December will be chill when prime 4 is getting shown of at the game awards with GTA6?
Samus is going on vacation on a tropical island in Prime 4 which she definitely won't blow up. GTA6 is going to be about a man leaving behind his criminal past to start a legitimate business, which definitely won't go wrong.

Very chill.

Chill? How could you say December will be chill when prime 4 is getting shown of at the game awards with GTA6?
I think Prime 2 has a good shot for the Game Awards! Also the rumored Zelda remake. Third party games seem most likely too like a new Square Enix game, a new Capcom game, Dameon X Machina 2 etc.. I think it’s unlikely, but I’m not ruling out a Peach Showtime outfit reveal after they had the Mario Movie clip last year.

I think Prime 2 has a good shot for the Game Awards! Also the rumored Zelda remake. Third party games seem most likely too like a new Square Enix game, a new Capcom game, Dameon X Machina 2 etc.. I think it’s unlikely, but I’m not ruling out a Peach Showtime outfit reveal after they had the Mario Movie clip last year.
It's gonna be Triangle Strategy II, book it.

I wish.

Great ST @MissingNo.!! The cozy living room is a lovely touch ❤️

So for high-temp liquid refreshment, I gotta go tea. It's lighter and tastes, uh, fluffier? I'm not super well-versed so my friends tend to show off news ones during holiday parties and such. I'll do coffee but usually cold and like half-mixed with milk. So.. un-coffee 😅

Finally the green and red month. I don't know why but it felt like it took years for the year to end... Maybe 200 hours of TotK made the time pass even slower...

The thing that stops me from having tea more to get my daily caffeine fix is, well, I'm lazy. When you can just open a soda and not have to wait five minutes for it to steep, then another few minutes to cool, not to mention the water heating time...

The thing that stops me from having tea more to get my daily caffeine fix is, well, I'm lazy. When you can just open a soda and not have to wait five minutes for it to steep, then another few minutes to cool, not to mention the water heating time...
It's simple if you always know exactly when you want to have tea 5-10 minutes in advance.

72nt.gif

Generally coffee, but I have an espresso machine at home so can make lattes or what have you whenever I feel like it. I do like a nice earl gray tea latte though with a hint of vanilla and lavender syrups.

So here's the thing. I might have mentioned this once or twice, but I used to drink a lot of coffee (black, no sugar) back in the day, to the point where it legitimately caused health problems for me. So I'm pretty much exclusively a tea person nowadays and have been for years, and maybe drink one cup of coffee with loads of milk every once in a blue moon.

I really like black tea, but rooibos or herbal tea does the trick as well.

I really like black tea, but rooibos or herbal tea does the trick as well.
Bought a box of Celestial Seasonings peach and black cherry herbal teas the other day. The peach is incredible, and I bet it would be amazing iced, and I'll have to give the cherry one another go because I fear it might have given me heartburn, but I can't be sure unless I try it while eating something other than a cinnamon roll.

Bought a box of Celestial Seasonings peach and black cherry herbal teas the other day. The peach is incredible, and I bet it would be amazing iced, and I'll have to give the cherry one another go because I fear it might have given me heartburn, but I can't be sure unless I try it while eating something other than a cinnamon roll.
I have a ginger and orange blend that pretty much single-handedly carried me through one of the worst colds I had experienced recently. It's even more enjoyable without the cold.

I will say that I make iced black tea and just have that as my cold beverage of choice. Usually just plain, no sugar but every now and then I’ll make it super sweet like they do in the south.

I will say that I make iced black tea and just have that as my cold beverage of choice. Usually just plain, no sugar but every now and then I’ll make it super sweet like they do in the south.
This reminds me that in high school I was known for saying "I'm going to go home and crack open a Snapple".

Excellent ST, @MissingNo. ! Very nice and cozy, I approve.

As for the question: Coffee! I love coffee. Black is okay, but I love it with some cream and a bit of sugar. Also lattes. And mochas. And macchiatos. And… list goes on

Despite growing up in a coffee family, it's alwyas been tea for me.

star-trek-the-next-generation.gif

Love the cozy living room pic, although one of the participants seems rather panicked to be there :LOL:

Tea is better than coffee and does the same thing as coffee (at least, depending on the type).

Coffee tastes fucking rancid and contributes to unnecessary and unwanted weight gain.

For the thread question: I prefer tea because coffee makes me sleepier. Or to be more precise, any energy boost I get from coffee is fleeting. Once it runs out I feel groggier than before drinking it.

still alive but barely!
That’s still an achievement and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise

Time to download 50 games lol
Then proceed to play none of them, as gamers do lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom