• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion | ST24 September 2023 | Barely Able Will Star as the Main Poster in a Brand New ST (temp.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barely Able

Yoshi
Pronouns
He/Him
C95-B3-ECA-8-A20-4-CE8-9-ABB-8-ACFE4-CD1004.jpg

Welcome to General Discussion ST 24. I had a little play on words with the title and Nintendo’s ridiculous wording in their future releases for the Peach game. The real theme of the ST will be heading off to Nintendo University! With the Back-to-School season in full swing and Nintendo seemingly getting ready to turn the page to a new chapter of hardware, I thought it would be fun to stretch our wings and head off to college. So look forward to some fun stuff around this theme throughout the month.

One of the best things about college is going to class and learning a thing or two for your future vocation…but where is the fun in that for a thread?! We will devote some time to learning, but we also will be partaking in some of the other great activities that go along with the university experience. And there is no crippling debt at Nintendo University! So without further ado, let’s a-go!

750-E21-C2-AC83-4-CEB-86-DA-E11-B7732888-E.jpg

Beside classes, intramural activities are another great way to develop yourself and your friendships in college. And here, it’s more than just sports. Intramurals at Nintendo University are all the events taking place (in the month of September). URLs are included where applicable as some events might have livestreams or recaps.

Industry Events:
Other Important Dates:
  • PAC-MAN 99 Deluxe Pack/Mode Unlock removed from purchase - Sept 8 at 8 AM Pacific - the last chance to buy the offline mode (or get downloadable map packs with the deluxe version. The individual purchases went away in August). Get this amazing game before they remove it from service in early October.
  • Nintendo Direct - ??? Who knows when or if (though September directs are the most consistent) this will come. Participate in xghost777’s Speculation thread!
  • Super Mario All-Stars Celebration Event - This event ends Sept 14, so get playing and get some badges while you still can!

D003-CB12-8596-4409-A338-E5-D5-F8-ABA01-B.jpg

Since we are just starting university, we need a roadmap to how the term will be laid out. All of the important due dates (notable new releases) are below:

de6e48e7bacff74adb241bb494abe0a5ed8d32587453c8943fa2c36540432fcb
Sept 5
Sept 8
dc408584b530bf0759e948946eabc9224903e09d3471cd8de61f3a421953928d
1fe919d0bc6e558d53bce6e903dbcca3bb7531300bc210e8c67ce8cf071d6f63
Sept 13
Sept 13
56eca22f614043d45782432505ace8d2f63e0194033e8159ca111595616f4296
45667a1e2e9ddab22cec732bd303373233eb8c3e0ec393f623945560003f57e7
Sept 14
Sept 15
8b716890392bf80fbbbdc465881c43351e8c9b194499b207119d5bf1e0499db6
68c6e6f7cfef3034365addd210c77b6653a9e4eecb63c42b53c5ad0a7a3bf9a4
Sept 18
Sept 19
0858e209d933219efbd31514da1a3be9a791146115610f4b944ed3850fc161f9
82dc03395aaad04fe6112d41a1a716b8398852687ff919dd2fa36f81d75ac0b2
Sept 19
Sept 21
a3c3ca17b6851bffafa931529cc53e34f6a3d7d3ce29ee16eb8579ba8aa272db
a7ea722240924a41b0f65b2685edf482375b36022e665c7fe66a4c8bdf3c4811
Sept 22 (Physical)
Sept 26
c7ebbc449030ded8ccd8239440643f3eda37ddb11d869ad408c842a50260ac9a
cedea23c12f2f118578231d4426809bc2cbbb37ede6dc84bd031bc0d1f2972bb
Sept 28
Sept 29
539404ec5046d9cd9a8543484a6203cfeaa2d8cb4e67d4f854fee50da734b000
plumbers.620x0.webp
TBD

15-BEAD94-E9-B7-4654-8075-893-D0-DB707-B5.jpg

An important part of the university experience is networking. Please meet your previous alums that have contributed to the development of this great tradition:

|ST Oct 2021| by @mazi
|ST2 Nov 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or… by @Derachi
|ST3 Dec 2021| Topical Threes by @Suswave
|ST4 Jan 2022| Resurrections by @Skittzo
|ST5 Feb 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3 by @Dardan Sandiego
|ST6 Mar 2022| Marchful Mode by @EvilChameleon
|ST7 Apr 2022| Launch Timing Update For ST7 Sequel by @EvilChameleon
|ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8 by @Barely Able
|ST9 June 2022| This is Miyamoto. Have a fun summer! by @Irene
|ST10 July 2022| Julyve A Live by @Plum
|ST11 Aug 2022| Everybody’s 11-12 Discussion Thread by @Legion of Primes
|ST12 Sept 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03 by @xghost777
|ST13 Oct 2022| Our First Famiversary! by @hologram
|ST14 Nov 2022| Comfy And Easy To Wear by @bellydrum
|ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami by @Red Monster
|ST16 Jan 2023| Team Famuary Stays Winning by @chocolate_supra
|ST17 Feb 2023| Octopath Traveling II Directland Deluxe by @SammyJ9
|ST18 March 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month by @Brofield
|ST19 April 2023| A tradition unlike any other by @Josh5890
|ST20 May 2023| Every Teardrop is a Waterfall by @Irene
|ST21 June 2023| Welcome to Famipark! by @Party Sklar
|ST22 July 2023| PIKMINVASION by @famicorpse
|ST23 August 2023| Things Get WEIRD by @shoptroll

Future Alums Below:

ST25 October 2023 @VolcanicDynamo (or a month when a potential 3D Mario is announced)
ST26 November 2023 @Derachi
ST27 December 2023 unclaimed
ST?? Sometimes 2024-ish @Aurc (Metroid month)

873-FCCED-C68-A-4630-B3-FA-03-C7-CC436-C3-E.jpg

Unfortunately, it can’t be all fun and games, so we have to have pop quizzes. These are required to be answered in the form of a shirt essay with your reasoning behind your answer. The terms are quarters, so expect 4 of these throughout your time in this ST and they will build in complexity as you advance in your college career. Future quizzes will be thread-marked and also added here for reference.

Your first set of pop quizzes are as follows:

Geography 101: What is the best opening level in gaming? This can be answered multiple ways. It could be from a tutorial perspective, game design perspective, most fun sequence. It’s up to you to decide and explain why.

Archaeology 101: What hardware/software feature from the past needs to be brought back to modern consoles or future consoles? This can be a controller setting, design philosophy, or operating system level function. It’s up to you to decide and explain why.

Marketing 201: With E3 seemingly being on its 7th, 8th, or 9th life, let’s use the conference as a case study. Give your best “marketing” moment from the convention and explain why! It could be from a presentation, a show floor, etc (no objectifying things please. I will report those).

Kinesiology 202: What is the best player-controlled character movement in video games? It could be overall control dynamics or a hyper specific motion element of the gameplay. Please give you reasons. Will accept NPC movement as well if it contributes to the main characters actions.

Communications 301: What is the best (or worst) “voice acted” scene in a video game? I put this in quotes because it really could be some other communication sequence to advance the story but might be before games were capable of advanced audio. It could even be cut scenes with captions. Whatever you feel communicates the scene the best. Explain your reasoning.
Art History 312: What video game has the best use of art in the game? I’m not talking art style but pieces of art in the game. It could be simply for design or integral to the game’s story or mechanics. It doesn’t need to be old and could even be in the future. Let us see it if you can and explain why.

Understanding Jazz - Music 401: This was an actual class I took in college, and set me on the path to love jazz music. Anyhow, give me your best jazz video game composition or performance. Preferably in game but will take covers and renditions if that’s your favorite.

Environmental Science 412: In honor of FF7 Rebirth, What is the best plot line, vignette, super power, whatever that has to do with cataclysmic events, be they ecological or biological? Can be loose in the interpretation here. I recommend spoiler tagging to be safe.

Have fun this month and be kind and empathetic to one another!

Last edited:
it’s my birthday month so you should all listen to my music oh god please don’t drag me away aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Decimae on all major services and also Bandcamp aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

And there is no crippling debt at Nintendo University!
You say that now but wait'll Drake comes out 👀

it’s my birthday month so you should all listen to my music oh god please don’t drag me away aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

oh no Sus is being dragged away either by the responsibility of composing music or by the seductive magnetism of the shitpost abyss and I can't tell which

It would be fun to get low-key academic about video games.

I finished reading a pretty informative book about 90s Sega games that kind of read like a textbook. And I've got two books from the Boss Fight Books series on the way (Parappa the Rapper & Spelunky.)

It would be fun to get low-key academic about video games.

I finished reading a pretty informative book about 90s Sega games that kind of read like a textbook. And I've got two books from the Boss Fight Books series on the way (Parappa the Rapper & Spelunky.)
I’m not super technical, but the idea is the questions ramp up from “100 level” to “400 level” so they should get more complex. Could allow for some fun discussion.

Also @Barely Able I was busy goofing and forgot to say, awesome ST! Loving the theme and the execution and I swear I'll do my work once I give my brain a chance to rest today

Great ST and perfect title! :D

But...
plumbers.620x0.webp

...did I miss something or are we just memeing based on an ancient AVGN episode? I am so confused lol

Give me that megaton Musashi wired release date and price.

Also waiting for a sale on Baten Kaitos most likely

Archaeology 101: What hardware/software feature from the past needs to be brought back to modern consoles or future consoles? This can be a controller setting, design philosophy, or operating system level function. It’s up to you to decide and explain why.
Hear me out: asymmetrical multiplayer. The saving feature of the WiiU, and one of the reasons Nintendo Land is a fantastic pack-in title. Although I feel that the Switch has moved away from couch co-op in favor of online features (with a few exceptions -- Everybody 1-2 Switch! chief among them), there's not really any reason why the console couldn't link up with others in the room for certain games. How about a mode like Star Fox Zero's split pilot/gunner, where two Switch owners can each control different aspects of a ship? I recognize that this would be a big financial ask for a lot of people -- and these features would have to be optional for that reason -- but the smartphone integration we saw in Everybody 1-2 Switch! was actually not that far off, and I think it's possible to build on further in the next generation.

I will take my A+, thank you.

Hear me out: asymmetrical multiplayer. The saving feature of the WiiU, and one of the reasons Nintendo Land is a fantastic pack-in title. Although I feel that the Switch has moved away from couch co-op in favor of online features (with a few exceptions -- Everybody 1-2 Switch! chief among them), there's not really any reason why the console couldn't link up with others in the room for certain games. How about a mode like Star Fox Zero's split pilot/gunner, where two Switch owners can each control different aspects of a ship? I recognize that this would be a big financial ask for a lot of people -- and these features would have to be optional for that reason -- but the smartphone integration we saw in Everybody 1-2 Switch! was actually not that far off, and I think it's possible to build on further in the next generation.

I will take my A+, thank you.
And Sony didn’t even allow this feature in the portal when copying the Wii U!

Awesome ST @Barely Able ! Love the theme and I’ll definitely answer the first pop quiz questions when I can. Thanks for the shout for the Direct Speculation thread (September is here!) and I’m glad you made sure Nayuta is in the upcoming games list :) That’s my most anticipated game this month by far!

Also I didn’t get to say it before the thread transitioned, you had an awesome August ST @shoptroll ! What a great note to end weird month on with the Mario Wonder Direct :)

New thread smell! Didn't even realize that's what I was about to post in the new thread, so thank you @shoptroll for steering the previous ST!

@Barely Able you got your work cut out for you, can't wait to take this semester's classes! (never said that before in my life, and likely never will again)

Although so help me if we have to play two truths and a lie for icebreakers during frosh week here istg

One more thing, I completely forgot Rune Factory 3 is getting the Western release this month until I saw it in the OP.

Looks like that semi-secret Nintendo NYC event was for the Nintentubers to play Wonder:

I was being dragged away by the spectre of an anti-self-promotion squad

a squad that believes that something as base and crass as self-promotion, even when it pertains to something that has been a long-term project / discussion on famiboards, is punishable by drag-off

a squad that might be populated by a single person, one who is merely a manifestation of my own anxiety 👉😎👉

I was being dragged away by the spectre of an anti-self-promotion squad

a squad that believes that something as base and crass as self-promotion, even when it pertains to something that has been a long-term project / discussion on famiboards, is punishable by drag-off

a squad that might be populated by a single person, one who is merely a manifestation of my own anxiety 👉😎👉
Sounds like an intolerable menace to me 👀

Hi, first time posting here, how would anyone go about verifying themselves here?
I am by no means a Leaker , but am able to hear some stuff from some peers and would like to post some things I have heard.

Can i just post outright or should I get verified first?

Been a while since I had a good cry, and the Bob Barker tribute episode was just the right trigger.

Hi, first time posting here, how would anyone go about verifying themselves here?
I am by no means a Leaker , but am able to hear some stuff from some peers and would like to post some things I have heard.

You should check the hardware thread, we like our leaks there

Last I checked the policy on inside stuff here is you can feel free to share whatever, staff will not attempt to verify you but people will be understandably skeptical of information without a track record.

Also, as a tip, you can put anything you want to share in a hide tag which makes it non-viewable for people who are not members here by formatting it like this without the spaces-

[H I d e] content [/h I d e]

Last I checked the policy on inside stuff here is you can feel free to share whatever, staff will not attempt to verify you but people will be understandably skeptical of information without a track record.

Also, as a tip, you can put anything you want to share in a hide tag which makes it non-viewable for people who are not members here by formatting it like this without the spaces-

[H I d e] content [/h I d e]
thanks, will definetly do so, I am open to share details if needed

I have some time now so here are my answers to the first two thread questions:

Best opening level - one that has always stood out to me is the opening of Bayonetta 2 where you are battling angels on the top of fighter jets and the sequence culminates with you battling a giant Godzilla demon monster on a big skyscraper. Just incredibly rad from start to finish.

Best hardware feature that needs to come back - the 3DS activity log should be on every console forever. Doesn’t have to be an actual book, but give me the stats!

welcome to the boards!

to answer your question - when i was on staff, the official policy was that famiboards didn’t verify anyone. if you had stuff you wanted to share, you could share it. the mods weren’t interested in taking on the responsibility of making the call on who’s legit and who’s not. that could have changed, but i doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom