• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion | ST24 September 2023 | Barely Able Will Star as the Main Poster in a Brand New ST (temp.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have discovered a great way to save money on games. Before you purchase something, you open up your Steam library and check to see if you already own it

lil-yachty-drake.gif

I just saved $18 on Darksiders 1 and 2.

I have discovered a great way to save money on games. Before you purchase something, you open up your Steam library and check to see if you already own it

lil-yachty-drake.gif

I just saved $18 on Darksiders 1 and 2.
Well, I don't need to as I only own 9 Steam games. I literally created a steam account for Steam Deck lol

Before that GOG was only place I went for PC games.

"Switch 2" doesn't feel like Nintendo at all to me;

I know people are desperate they just go with the lamest and most straightforward name possible for easy marketability (like Sony does.. ), but I like quirky and unique names for each generation, Injects more identity

Finally got my a physical copy of powerslave and decided to replay it. It still holds very well as a proto Metroid prime and really my only grip with it is that it doesn't have subtitles for the parts where there speech

Weekly Pop Quiz #2!
Here are your questions for the pop quick this week:

Marketing 201: With E3 seemingly being on its 7th, 8th, or 9th life, let’s use the conference as a case study. Give your best “marketing” moment from the convention and explain why! It could be from a presentation, a show floor, etc (no objectifying things please. I will report those).

Kinesiology 202: What is the best player-controlled character movement in video games? It could be overall control dynamics or a hyper specific motion element of the gameplay. Please give you reasons. Will accept NPC movement as well if it contributes to the main characters actions.

Marketing 201: With E3 seemingly being on its 7th, 8th, or 9th life, let’s use the conference as a case study. Give your best “marketing” moment from the convention and explain why! It could be from a presentation, a show floor, etc (no objectifying things please. I will report those).

Kinesiology 202: What is the best player-controlled character movement in video games? It could be overall control dynamics or a hyper specific motion element of the gameplay. Please give you reasons. Will accept NPC movement as well if it contributes to the main characters actions.
Marketing 201: Zelda reveal at e3 2004 was the best way to hype up a game perfect just a perfect trailer, especially at the end when miyamoto came out with a master sword

Kinesiology 202: From what I have played probably Bloodborne, just great controls, movement and combat. Everything just clicks Especially since you can just keep attacking to regain your life it encourages fast and swift gameplay

Metroid Dread. The attention to detail that went into animating all the movements is unbelievable and it results in the best feeling 2D gameplay I've ever experienced. Each transition from walking/running to mantling/morphing etc has multiple frames that change depending on speed or even the position of Samus' feet, creating seamless transitions between actions. It's too fast to see unless slowed down but hoo buddy you can feel it.

I had a dream that added a Monster Hunter character to Smash Ultimate.... I'm manifesting it IRL

Metroid Prime Trilogy.
The combination of the subtle first person camera work, the pinpoint aiming made possible with the Wiimote, and the blazing 60fps felt incredible, it's like that feel when you're cutting paper and the scissors start to glide, fantastic stuff.

Anyone else sitting around thinking about how hard the choir goes in Millick Meadows from 2:31-3:48?

Like Like in Ganon’s Tower ate my tunic and spat me over the ledge

Very annoying mechanic honestly, I need it for the lava chamber. Now my only options are to reload an old save or backtrack to Goron City and drop some cash

Give your best “marketing” moment from the convention and explain why!
Nothing will top Nintendo deciding to focus on a single game at E3 2016. Everyone calling it the marketing misfire of the decade, then the Breath of the Wild rolls in and, well, takes everyone’s breaths away. Nintendo knew they had a gem on their hands and blindsided us.

Never forget:

10Qwa9NDpwhSDu.gif

Close second would be the Metroid Dread reveal. I’m not even a Metroid fan per se, but Metroid 5 title card followed by Metroid DREAD title card was legendary.

What is the best player-controlled character movement in video games?
There are plenty of games with immaculate mobility, such as Cuphead, Celeste, Doom, etc. However, I have to give a shout out to Mario Odyssey here. Not only does Mario feel so good to control (in my opinion the best his moveset has ever felt), there is an array of captures and every single one of them controls wonderfully, to the point that each of them could sustain their own game.

E3 2014 Smash Invitational: The Super Fighting Robot

This wasn't a "marketing" thing per se, at least not in the traditional sense, but in my opinion it shows what can happen when Nintendo lets people play the games as part of their marketing. For those who don't immediately know what moment I'm referring to:
(careful with your volume)

This moment got meme'd to hell and back, shared over and over, because while you can't hear it over the crowd, the announcer shout-sings the lyrics to the 90s cartoon as the attack hits. That plus the way the moment worked out in the game was perfect viral material: the excitement when the Blue Bomber got the Smash Ball, the audible "awwww" from the crowd when the attack didn't connect, turning to elation when a player ran into it after all, and the absolute explosion of joy when the Mega Men dove into frame. Nintendo did not plan this. Their marketing team did not script this. What they did was they built an event and let people play. the. game. And I think it's a great strategy Nintendo employs, in contrast to the big press conferences with the pre-rendered cinematic trailers and the celebrity cameos and such that others often do (not tryina console-war here, because I'm also lookin at Geoff).

It's a great example of what can happen when you take advantage of the fact that you're at a convention with people, rather than crafting a speech-and-trailer fest that could be done just as well in a Direct digital presentation. Fans are there. Make it about them. Super fighting robot. Mega man.

Sonic the Hedgehog, Genesis era.

That's it, that's the essay.

Last edited:
Samus feels absolutely incredible to control in Metroid Dread, particularly once you have some upgrades like the dash. One of the best-feeling and controlling games of all time.

I also really, really like how the movement feels in Sekiro once you get used to the flow of it: Dashing, sneak attacking, quick-grappling up to a high point, jumping, sliding, it all feels perfect to me.

I feel like your E3 question is in mocking scare quotes BA compared to how others have read it, so I’ll pick the Ubisoft host Mr. Caffeine. That guy gave off some weird energy between not knowing how to pronounce Tom Clancy, his time travel noises and motions, and bad jokes.

There’s probably some stuff I’m missing for my favorite movement, but Kingdom Hearts II with a maxed out Sora is a great time and some of the super hero games like Infamous and the most recent Spiderman games are just a ton of fun to move around in.

It's not a moment I've been able to watch live, nor is it one I'm particularly fond of because it's kind of what killed SEGA consoles, but from a purely marketing point of view, it must be this

Gotta agree with @meatbag and say Mario Odyssey. So responsive, the best Mario moveset ever, it's like Mario knows which button you'll press even before you pressed it. It feels incredible and allows for such a great flexibility in situation solving.

Sony at E3 1995. 3 Digits to end Sega: "299"

After Sega's Kalinske gave a long-winded keynote ending with a surprise release of the Saturn for 399 the coming saturday, Sony takes the stage, announces the reatail price for their new shiny console as "299" and walks away. One of the most savage moments in history of E3.
I want to say Mario in Mario Odyssey. I'm not usually someone who notices stuff like this but that game made even me go "Wow, this is a lot of fun to control". It's hard to overstate how fluid everything works in this game.

It's not a moment I've been able to watch live, nor is it one I'm particularly fond of because it's kind of what killed SEGA consoles, but from a purely marketing point of view, it must be this

Gotta agree with @meatbag and say Mario Odyssey. So responsive, the best Mario moveset ever, it's like Mario knows which button you'll press even before you pressed it. It feels incredible and allows for such a great flexibility in situation solving.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that video before even though I always heard of it. Probably is that moment for sure. A similar power move was definitely this video. It absolutely buried the Xbox One.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that video before even though I always heard of it. Probably is that moment for sure. A similar power move was definitely this video. It absolutely buried the Xbox One.

Oh man, I forgot about that sharing video.. absolutely savage :LOL:

Like Like in Ganon’s Tower ate my tunic and spat me over the ledge

Very annoying mechanic honestly, I need it for the lava chamber. Now my only options are to reload an old save or backtrack to Goron City and drop some cash

Ouch. I had an experience once in Majora’s Mask in Stone Tower where I somehow got stuck between an Eyegore and a wall. Thing kept shooting at me and I couldn’t move. When I finally got the opportunity to throw a bomb at it, it then exploded and I got caught in the explosion, fell down, voided out and died.

Ouch. I had an experience once in Majora’s Mask in Stone Tower where I somehow got stuck between an Eyegore and a wall. Thing kept shooting at me and I couldn’t move. When I finally got the opportunity to throw a bomb at it, it then exploded and I got caught in the explosion, fell down, voided out and died.
I ended up going back to buy another tunic because it's the endgame and I have a maxed out Giant's Wallet, what else am I gonna do lol

Still love the game dearly even if it definitely shows its age in certain aspects and you can feel the last few dungeons had elements that were a bit rushed to meet release. For sure wanna do the Master Quest in the near future, never got far in it before but now I'm motivated

Kid stories.

I remember fucking up in Zelda 1 NES so bad with the keys that i had to start over.

Early games game design is wild sometimes. ^^

Master Quest 3D is pretty dope. The early game is brutal because of limited heart containers but it becomes more manageable the more you play. I wish every 3D Zelda had it.

It’s been a while since I’ve used an Apple device. Not sure what I expected, exactly, but the iPad experience is … really good so far. Even the seemingly flimsy Smart Keyboard Folio is doing a more than solid job thus far!

It’s been a while since I’ve used an Apple device. Not sure what I expected, exactly, but the iPad experience is … really good so far. Even the seemingly flimsy Smart Keyboard Folio is doing a more than solid job thus far!
I begrudgingly love all of their products. Except for the Airpods, those are ass.

The best controlling game I’ve ever played is Celeste.

It’s so incredibly smooth, intuitive and it gels with the level design to an almost absurd degree.

Not to mention what TASbots and speedrunners can do with it!

I begrudgingly love all of their products. Except for the Airpods, those are ass.
Well, I can see why you’d do so, but sadly neither iPhone nor Mac really fit my requirements as of now. The current lack of USB C with iPhones makes them a no-go right from the start. And on the laptop side of things, I would miss out on most things PC gaming. While I don’t need high-end hardware there, the compatibility is another big issue.
Both of these points seemingly will be addressed in the future, though, to some degree at least, which means it might be more viable for me in a few years time.

God people were calling Microsoft Xboned after that it was hilarious.

Well, I can see why you’d do so, but sadly neither iPhone nor Mac really fit my requirements as of now. The current lack of USB C with iPhones makes them a no-go right from the start. And on the laptop side of things, I would miss out on most things PC gaming. While I don’t need high-end hardware there, the compatibility is another big issue.
Both of these points seemingly will be addressed in the future, though, to some degree at least, which means it might be more viable for me in a few years time.
Oh yeah, definitely, that's why I added "begrudgingly" lol. It's ultimately a compromise for convenience but if they cover most if not all of your uses their devices are great (if expensive).

I don’t thinks that’s inherently bad. :‘D

It's life-ending bad if you ask my daughter, and annoyingly bad if you ask my wife.

But, i'm always the one ending up taking care that every device is up to date and working, and i hate dealing with Apples stuff, so it's simply "I do the work, i do the decide.".

Oh yeah, definitely, that's why I added "begrudgingly" lol. It's ultimately a compromise for convenience but if they cover most if not all of your uses their devices are great (if expensive).
I'm definitely closer to picking up an iPhone (eventually), after my current Pixel 6a dies, than I've ever been before. At that point, we might be looking at the iPhone, uh, 17 or so, which then also should feature USB C. There's nothing really keeping me on the Android side of things anymore.

While I'd love to also ditch Windows sooner rather than later, I have a harder time seeing that come into fruition. Maaaybe if I totally stop playing AAA stuff and switch over to a potential new Steam Deck for that. Biiig maybe, though.

Heads up, Direct leaks are about to drop from Pyoro.

The Speculation thread looks like it will be OPEN SPOILERS.

No Direct Spoilers Here
Hey everyone Pyoro has begun leaking the Nintendo Direct. Please keep the General Discussion Thread a leak free zone. Thanks!

Update

Hey everyone, the plan going forward for the Direct Speculation thread is set now. The Speculation thread will remain open through the airing of the Direct for the spoiler crowd (Pyoro is leaking the Direct). This General Discussion thread and the ultimate Direct thread (ie “Nintendo Direct announced for Wednesday at 7:00 AM” or whatever) will be leak free! When the Direct ends, the Speculation thread will be directed to the ultimate Direct thread to reunite the two crowds!

Btw if it wasn’t clear, by all means the non-spoiler crowd is more than welcome to keep speculating and having fun here!

Last edited:
I'm definitely closer to picking up an iPhone (eventually), after my current Pixel 6a dies, than I've ever been before. At that point, we might be looking at the iPhone, uh, 17 or so, which then also should feature USB C. There's nothing really keeping me on the Android side of things anymore.

While I'd love to also ditch Windows sooner rather than later, I have a harder time seeing that come into fruition. Maaaybe if I totally stop playing AAA stuff and switch over to a potential new Steam Deck for that. Biiig maybe, though.
If rumours are to be believed the iPhone 15 will already have an USB-C port. It's about damn time, even Nintendo didn't go for a proprietary format and that was 6 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom