• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST25 October 2023| Have a Wonderful Famiversary!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VolcanicDynamo

1-Up Boy
Pronouns
He/Him
25th Star Topic | Nintendo General Discussion | Happy 2nd Anniversary! - this logo is a Fami-themed parody of the Super Mario Bros. 25th Anniversary logo, with the Famiboards logo replacing the Mario sprite and text changes reflecting ST 25.

Welcome, one and all, to the Famiboards Nintendo General Discussion thread for October 2023! I am your master of ceremonies (and Famiboards Self-Proclaimed #1 Super Mario Fan™), VolcanicDynamo, and we are here to celebrate a momentous occasion. We have reached the second anniversary of Famiboards! That’s 24 months of vibrant discussion, 24 months of enthusiastic speculation, and 24 months of building a community on our shared interest in Nintendo games and beyond. Whether you’re from the old sites or you’re a Fami Original like me, we’re happy that you could join us for the festivities!

It’s an exciting time around here. 2D Mario is making its grand return with Super Mario Bros. Wonder. We have a whole host of high profile releases on our hands this month, from Spider-Man 2 to Sonic Superstars and so much more. Anticipation continues to build towards Nintendo’s next move in the console space as the Nintendo Switch enters its 80th month on the market. With so much going on, why not kick back, enjoy conversation with some good company, and ring in the next year of Famiboards?

What is This Thread About?

The Nintendo General Discussion threads are a staple of Famiboards, the bedrock of our community from even before the forum itself was started! Many of our members come to this space to converse, get to know each other, and just have a good time. This is the hot spot to discuss all things Nintendo, but we place plenty of emphasis on “General” here. Talk games, media, your day…as long as you follow the Site Guidelines, then it’s fair game. And if you like what you see of this community and wanna dig deeper on a topic, check out our other threads or make your own! We have Treehouse for video game discussion and The Roost for everything else.

And if discussion isn't your forte, well...

October 2023 Has Games (a parody of the Nintendo commercial from The Game Awards). Box arts from October 2023 games surround the text. Above the text: Marvel's Spider-Man 2, Detective Pikachu Returns, Forza Motorsport (2023), Assassin's Creed Mirage, and Alan Wake II. Below the text: Batman Arkham Trilogy, Cities Skylines II, Sonic Superstars, and Super Mario Bros. Wonder.

We have a stacked month of games this month! From high profile releases to ports/remakes of iconic titles, there’s something for everyone to ring in our anniversary.

October 3
  • Disgaea 7: Vows of the Virtueless (PS5, PS4, Switch, PC)
October 4
  • Warhammer 40,000: Darktide (Xbox Series X|S
  • Worldless (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Switch, PC)
October 5
  • Assassin's Creed Mirage (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PC)
  • Bang-On Balls: Chronicles (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch)
  • Front Mission 2 Remake (Switch)
  • My Little Universe (Switch, PC)
  • The Sisters 2: Road to Fame (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Switch, PC)
October 6
  • Detective Pikachu Returns (Switch)
  • Sword Art Online Last Recollection (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PC)
October 10
  • Forza Motorsport (Xbox Series X|S, PC)
  • Space Wreck (PC)
  • The Troop (PC)
October 11
  • Honkai: Star Rail (PS5)
October 12
  • Haunted House (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Switch, VCS)
  • River City: Rival Showdown (PS4, Switch, PC)
October 13
  • Batman: Arkham Trilogy (Switch)
  • Lords of the Fallen (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X|S)
  • The Grinch: Christmas Adventures (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Switch, PC)
October 17
  • Skull Island: Rise of Kong (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Switch, PC)
  • Sonic Superstars (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Switch, PC)
  • The Caligula Effect 2 (PS5)
  • Wizard With A Gun (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC)
October 18
  • Slender: The Arrival (PS5, Xbox Series X|S)
October 19
  • Cavern of Dreams (PC)
  • Endless Dungeon (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Switch, PC)
  • Gangs of Sherwood (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC)
  • Gargoyles Remastered (PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC)
  • The 7th Guest VR (PSVR 2, PC VR)
  • World of Horror (Switch, PS5, PS4, PC)
October 20
  • Cattails: Wildwood Story (PC)
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5)
  • Slay the Princess (PC)
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
October 24
  • Cities: Skylines 2 (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC)
  • Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Switch, PC)
  • The Lords of the Rings: Return to Moria (PS5, PC)
  • Vertigo 2 (PSVR 2)
October 26
  • Bahnsen Knights (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Switch, PC)
  • Ghostbusters: Rise of the Ghost Lord (Quest 2, PSVR 2)
  • Ghostrunner 2 (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC)
October 27
  • Alan Wake 2 (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC)
  • UFC 5 (PS5, Xbox Series X|S)
October 31
  • Head Bangers: Rhythm Royale (Switch)

General Discussion Hall of Fame

Here we honor the legacy that brought us to this 25th thread. In this hallowed halls of discussions past, we remember the good times that cultivated our community.

|ST Oct 2021| by @mazi
|ST2 Nov 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or… by @Derachi
|ST3 Dec 2021| Topical Threes by @Suswave
|ST4 Jan 2022| Resurrections by @Skittzo
|ST5 Feb 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3 by @Dardan Sandiego
|ST6 Mar 2022| Marchful Mode by @EvilChameleon
|ST7 Apr 2022| Launch Timing Update For ST7 Sequel by @EvilChameleon
|ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8 by @Barely Able
|ST9 June 2022| This is Miyamoto. Have a fun summer! by @Irene
|ST10 July 2022| Julyve A Live by @Plum
|ST11 Aug 2022| Everybody’s 11-12 Discussion Thread by @Legion of Primes
|ST12 Sept 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03 by @xghost777
|ST13 Oct 2022| Our First Famiversary! by @hologram
|ST14 Nov 2022| Comfy And Easy To Wear by @bellydrum
|ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami by @Red Monster
|ST16 Jan 2023| Team Famuary Stays Winning by @chocolate_supra
|ST17 Feb 2023| Octopath Traveling II Directland Deluxe by @SammyJ9
|ST18 March 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month by @Brofield
|ST19 April 2023| A tradition unlike any other by @Josh5890
|ST20 May 2023| Every Teardrop is a Waterfall by @Irene
|ST21 June 2023| Welcome to Famipark! by @Party Sklar
|ST22 July 2023| PIKMINVASION by @famicorpse
|ST23 August 2023| Things Get WEIRD by @shoptroll
|ST24 September 2023| Barely Able Will Star as the Main Poster in a Brand New ST (temp.) by
@Barely Able

Upcoming ST Claims

ST26 November 2023 by @Derachi
ST27 December 2023 by @MissingNo.
ST28 January
2024 is unclaimed
ST29 February 2024 by @Suswave
ST30 Match 2024 by @Raccoon
ST?? Sometimes 2024-ish @Aurc (Metroid month)

If you would love to join the illustrious lineup of all-stars, claim yourself a monthly ST! We have a mostly blank slate from here on out - who will be the next to join us?

Weekly Questions

As we celebrate the new year of Famiboards, let’s reminisce about the past and look to the future with a thread staple - weekly questions! At the start of each week, I’ll post a new question to generate discussion. Each question will be archived here so you can check out how the discussion went!

Week 1 (October 1-7)
We all started our Famiboards adventure from somewhere. Some of us journeyed from the old sites, others joined the party over time. How did you find the forum, and why did you join?

Week 2 (October 8-14)
What was your favorite moment on Famiboards? It could be a specific thread, an event, or a particular interaction you had. For our new members, use this week to make some memories worth sharing!

Week 3 (October 15-21)
What a week we got coming up! Super Mario Bros. Wonder comes out in just a few days! But it's one game in a stacked month. Spider-Man 2 comes out the same day, we got a new 2D Sonic releasing on Tuesday, and lots more before and after them. What's your most anticipated game of the month?

Week 4 (October 22 - October 28)
We're already a few weeks into the third year of Famiboards - what are you excited to see, both with games and our community?

Week 5 (October 29-31)
Halloween is just a few days away, so let's end things off with a simple question. What is your favorite Halloween snack/treat?

HAVE A WONDERFUL FAMIVERSARY!!

A gif of fireworks going off in the night sky. The Famiboards logo is placed on top semi-transparantly.

gif by @big lantern ghost

Last edited:
What a fantastic month for video games! Forza, Spider-Man, and Sonic. Whew. I’m definitely not forgetting one, that’s for sure!

great job on the ST @VolcanicDynamo it’s incredible pal

Fantastic and colorful OP!
As for the question, I was part of the original mod team for a brief month and change, and I wear my single digit user number with pride!

my journey with famiboards began when bellydrum dmed me on discord asking if I thought him starting a dedicated nintendoera spinoff site would be a good idea

I'm, uh, pretty sure I told him no

let's all take a moment to be grateful that he wasn't dissuaded

In answer to the question - I was a part of Nintendo Era for a good amount of time prior to the exodus. I hung out in the Pipeline discord after Nintendo Era left the purple site and was part of the talks when it came to putting this place together, although I wasn’t super involved and take no credit whatsoever. I will say however that I’m user number two, and the person with number one only beat me by nine seconds. So I got that goin for me!

or i should say, i’m the second public user to sign up, after the staff who signed up lol

It's funny, I barely posted in the Nintendo threads on ResetEra because I thought they were too fast, and yet I happily joined a forum where it's nothing but Nintendo chatter and the threads are just as fast.

It's funny, I barely posted in the Nintendo threads on ResetEra because I thought they were too fast, and yet I happily joined a forum where it's nothing but Nintendo chatter and the threads are just as fast.
they WERE too fast. then i had to learn to use discord, which was even faster. and now i kinda stay out of the big threads here because they’re too much to keep up with and im too old

I'm member #24 which I always thought was a pretty weak showing but based on the above that's fifth after registration started

To answer Weekly Question 1 - I lurked on GAF until Era was founded and when the inclusive Nintendo community I enjoyed following most broke off from Era to establish Famiboards and it had open registration I signed up immediately. Y’all rock so it’s been an absolute blast sharing Famiboards together these past two years :)

I lurked the Era threads for a good while in 2020 and then left because that place was the pits. Then I found out the only good part of the old place became a new place, and that was that.

Happy Famiversary!

Great ST VD! To answer the question, I made my way over during the transition but was never nearly as active there as here. Glad to be a part of this community and can’t believe it’s been 2 years already!

Wonderful work on the OP, @VolcanicDynamo!

Not gonna write an essay, but I'll say this, which I've never aimed to make a secret of: I'm not really the biggest Nintendo fan (oh no! Right?) Instead, I'm mostly on Fami for the sense of warmth, community, and belonging I feel it provides. I don't think you have to be super into something to feel part of something, if that makes sense.

I'm getting older. I just want somewhere to hang out that feels less like a massively overwhelming social media platform, and more like a little village where I recognize everyone's faces, and the atmosphere is largely friendly. Fami fills that niche. I've enjoyed all the positive interactions I've had with you folks, and it's wild to think we're already at two years. When this place launched, Metroid Dread was just about to release, and that was the game I waited practically my whole entire life for. I associate early Fami with that game, and I'll always remember that time period fondly.

We're two years in. Thanks everyone. Let's keep Trusting The Process!

My Famiboards journey began with lurking the Direct Speculation and eventually General Discussion threads on ResetERA, at first looking for Direct news but then Switch Pro leaks and eventually just enjoying watching the convos and activity because it was way more friendly and polite than all the other places I was finding on the internet. Then trying a couple times to join but not being allowed to based on my having a free email account (then buying one of those "pay for your own domain email!" things, trying again (because it wasn't free so it should work, right?) and being told that because it didn't attach to any real website that it still didn't count), then eventually seeing what went down with the exodus, seeing people talking about some new place they were building in hushed whispers and hidden posts (that I couldn't see), and wondering if I'd ever even find the group after they left.

Then eventually one day after it had mostly been set up, someone finally mentioned "famiboards.com" outside of hide tags, I checked it out, saw the storied Landing Page (coming soon directly to you!), and found where to email the team to request membership. Wrote a bigass email basically explaining everything above, and they let me in! Which was surprising at the time but obviously not so much anymore now that the paid-email requirement isn't in effect but STILL. I felt like Walter having the legacy Muppets wave him over to join them at the end of the movie.

And now here I be.

BOVqnhS.png

Happy Fami Anni 🎉🎉 It's definitely one of the best places to discuss Nintendo and as a certified Discord Disliker ™ I love that it's a forum. Really enjoyed my last year and a half on here!
Thanks to everyone who works to keep it up and going.

i’d rather play just about anything from any Mario Party than basically any of the black box sports NES games

2-year anniversary and Famiboards didn't even bother making an HD collection of STs 1, 2, and 3.
We didn’t want to leak the Switch 2 yet.

… WHOOPS!

HAVE A WONDERFUL FAMIVERSARY!!
HAPPY FAMIVERSARY!
How did you find the forum, and why did you join?
I was a longtime lurker on GAF and Era, especially the sales threads which I regularly visited. I actually planned to join Era but they wouldn’t accept my non-professional e-mail, so I ended up just hanging out in the background.

When the sales thread regulars left Era, I searched for where they went, and found myself at Fami. Cheers!

shit, is that true?

I haven't played any of the wii mario parties so I can't tell if you're serious
There was a really good Mario Party Ice Hockey minigame in one of them. It was one of the bigger minigames outside of the main 70ish minigames that occur during the board game.

shit, is that true?

I haven't played any of the wii mario parties so I can't tell if you're serious
Wii? Wii?! Mario Party 5 was a Cube Classic!

I actually did get a lot of mileage out of hockey and volleyball on that game. What else was I supposed to do with my Gamecube?

There was a really good Mario Party Ice Hockey minigame in one of them. It was one of the bigger minigames outside of the main 70ish minigames that occur during the board game.
I'm gonna assume that's what he means

also on second thought 5 has gotta be gamecube, right? since 3 is N64? is 6 or 7 the first wii one?

edit: oop there it is

I’m realizing that I was actually very lucky that Era accepted my old Kent State email. I don’t know where I’d be otherwise!

Actually no, it was GAF that accepted my student email, and I think when Era launched, they let GAF users in even if they had Gmail. Is that right?

I’m realizing that I was actually very lucky that Era accepted my old Kent State email. I don’t know where I’d be otherwise!

Actually no, it was GAF that accepted my student email, and I think when Era launched, they let GAF users in even if they had Gmail. Is that right?
To sign up for NeoGAF I had to dig up the credentials to my old RoadRunner email I never use.

My famiboards journey is that I joined here because a friend of mine basically said "hey, here's the new Nintendo resetera community, join it", even though I was neither a prominent member on Resetera nor prominent in that Nintendo community. I was pretty new to Resetera itself and took some pretty big breaks from it by the time Famiboards was born. I've been way more active here.

It's weird to think I'm one of the first members. With a few long hiatuses under my belt, I both feel like one of the older members here, and also a new member who isn't very well acquainted (or getting reacquainted?) with the community. But I enjoy it a lot all the same!

Everyone has at least one baseball game they endlessly fawn over!
I used to play the hell outta this, it was one of only like five games I had for Sega Game Gear:

I somehow ended up with a randomly glitched pitcher that constantly pitched at well over 100mph and it made the game hard to lose past that point 😅

Awesome ST, @VolcanicDynamo ! And great job last month @Barely Able , I missed out on the end of the thread.

My Fami journey started when lurking Era mostly in the Nintendo thread around Christmas 2019, which meant I started getting really into Direct speculation... right before 2020 hit and we didn't actually get any Directs :p. I slowly began to post there some, and more and more, then got into Fami when we made the jump over here. I just missed the first wave/early adopter group because IIRC I was out of town or something, but I still joined October 1st 2021. Hard to believe it's been two years already!

Wonderful ST @VolcanicDynamo!

I started lurking the old threads on Era back in like, May of 2021 I think. I posted a handful of times, but I wasn't super active. Then I joined here as soon as I could, and I've tried to be more active. I still don't post a whole lot but I feel more comfortable here.

Christmas Anniversarymas at Fami's

Edit: Scratch all of that, I've been up for half an hour and my brain is scrambled.

Two years, though. Good times.

Yeah, I started with GAF back in 2008. Man, it’s been this long already?

Feels bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom