• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST25 October 2023| Have a Wonderful Famiversary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
could you elaborate on that? Only thing I can think of is the OLED screen
among the current rumors are that the device has an 8" display, with a pretty big mobile chip on a manufacturing process that will render it physically huge and inefficient. these combined lead many to suggest that the device with be bigger in all dimensions.

the internal space will be a lot tighter too, as many of the OLED's luxury features were the result of utilizing free space enabled by the shrinking of the physical chip. unless they throw size to the wind and make it even bigger than made necessary by the chip, the superior kickstand and speakers will be downgraded.

we could lose bigger aspects to the form factor, too. joy-cons are a space waster too, so it could go to an all-in-one construction with no detachable controllers or kickstand at all.

in short, I'm grateful that the OLED is such a user-friendly device and am choosing to appreciate the wait for new hardware as time to experience those benefits

among the current rumors are that the device has an 8" display, with a pretty big mobile chip on a manufacturing process that will render it physically huge and inefficient. these combined lead many to suggest that the device with be bigger in all dimensions.

the internal space will be a lot tighter too, as many of the OLED's luxury features were the result of utilizing free space enabled by the shrinking of the physical chip. unless they throw size to the wind and make it even bigger than made necessary by the chip, the superior kickstand and speakers will be downgraded.

we could lose bigger aspects to the form factor, too. joy-cons are a space waster too, so it could go to an all-in-one construction with no detachable controllers or kickstand at all.

in short, I'm grateful that the OLED is such a user-friendly device and am choosing to appreciate the wait for new hardware as time to experience those benefits
Ah, thanks. Honestly forgot about the OLED's speakers and kickstand.

I hope nobody bought it with the switch pro right around the corner
No joke, I hadn't bought an OG Switch because I was waiting for the mid-gen upgrade and when the OLED was announced I almost didn't buy one exactly because of that: "Will it be worth it, though? Any second now they're gonna drop a Pro-like model."

In the end, hooray for impulse buys!

your analysis was well put, I just thought it was funny because it reminded me of how I think about this stuff.
"man I'm kind of out of touch with the industry I only check the news once a day and listen to 1 1/2 news podcasts per week" nerdy ass mf (myself)
I'm like this with cars. I feel so thoroughly dumb and out of touch with the industry and enthusiast culture until I open my mouth around my friends only to have them regard me as an encyclopedia for anything with an engine 😅

I read all of @jirou 's posts imagining that they're written by this guy:

2789.jpg

and it's made reading this thread at least 20% better
136.jpg

I'm like this with cars. I feel so thoroughly dumb and out of touch with the industry and enthusiast culture until I open my mouth around my friends only to have them regard me as an encyclopedia for anything with an engine 😅
yeah... I gotta start becoming that for other topics as well though... always just gäming gäming gäming...
it's so cool that they made a switch that I actually want to use lmao

that original kickstand...
I remember you saying you liked tabletop mode I think. Original kickstand is really a joke. I wish I didn't have to fix my joycon every 2 weeks so I actually played handheld more...

I was thinking about this recently myself. Whenever I'm playing docked I always use my pro controller, and when I'm playing undocked it's always handheld with the joycons attached, so for me the detachable joycons aren't necessary. I know they're great and useful and needed for most people but my weird experience lead me to picturing the possibility of a Switch 2 that doesn't have detachable controllers (to save internal space and reduce complexity) and ships with either 2 rechargable joycon-like controllers OR a pro controller.

Holy shit, there's the controversial 2-SKU strategy right there :ROFLMAO:

No joke, I hadn't bought an OG Switch because I was waiting for the mid-gen upgrade and when the OLED was announced I almost didn't buy one exactly because of that: "Will it be worth it, though? Any second now they're gonna drop a Pro-like model."

In the end, hooray for impulse buys!
I've only tried my brother's OLED and while it felt very premium I never really felt the urge to upgrade from a system that still works. If my Switch had died after 2021 I'd have been all over an OLED model though.

edit: I do own a Switch Lite though, which is apparently frowned upon in some parts

I use the kickstand on my original Switch as something to keep my right hand busy during downtime between Splatoon 3 matches.

Yeah, there are just times where you just don’t want to really play much of anything, even if you actually really like the game

I’ve only played Pikmin 3 myself. How would you say it compares to Pikmin 1? Thinking of eventually trying out the rest of the series if they’re not particularly long games
Can't say, I've only played a little bit of Pikmin 1 and 2 years ago, but hopefully I like those enough to get 3/4!

81vc92.jpg

when u r bad at sims
It's so weird to me that people act like racing games are dead outside of sims.
I feel like that is a market that just isnt catered to, but I guess flops of great games like Blur or Splitsecond killed that off largely.

I wish there was something between sim and Mario Kart again, but also isn't as mediocre as Need for Speed, which had some predatory lootbox shit and I never really was satisfied with the handling in the ones since 2014.

Give me fun trucks on terraforming landscapes again that can also race on some milkyway galaxy space nebula like tracks with sick music.

I can only hope the Switch 2 comes with a fan profile / cooling system that is as good as the current one when playing handheld; especially looking at the OLED, which I sometimes don't even notice being actively cooled. That's how quiet the thing runs. The fan noise is one of the things which makes the Steam Deck so much less attractive to use for me, and capping everything to 10 watts and lower does help (and saves on battery, too), but also limits the devices potential and usability in some ways. Not ideal, then.

So I watched Fall Out Boy's cover of We Didn't Start the Fire (don't ask) and uhh ...

GnznGAu.png

Please don't reference game series this way people, lmfao
....... 😳

I feel like that is a market that just isnt catered to, but I guess flops of great games like Blur or Splitsecond killed that off largely.
Splitsecond was so cool omfg
I wish there was something between sim and Mario Kart again, but also isn't as mediocre as Need for Speed, which had some predatory lootbox shit and I never really was satisfied with the handling in the ones since 2014.
Give me NFS Underground 3 plz

I like all four 😊
I also like all four but only two of them like me back.

Give me fun trucks on terraforming landscapes again that can also race on some milkyway galaxy space nebula like tracks with sick music.

Yeah, racing devs/pubs have largely failed to make stuff in that mold that is appealing to the masses. Forza Horizon probably comes closest.

I remember when the OLED launched and a lot of folks were asking if they should buy one or wait until a Switch Pro/Switch 2.

Grateful to have finally been on the right side of history.

So Dragon Quest I, II and III got a rerelease on Switch. Would be nice if the Zenithia trilogy would get the same treatment 😁

I remember when the OLED launched and a lot of folks were asking if they should buy one or wait until a Switch Pro/Switch 2.

Grateful to have finally been on the right side of history.
so did you wait or not?? I did and I feel like I'm right 🤨

Daily reminder that Sin and Punishment, the best game of the Nintendo 64, is available to everyone who subscribes to the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack

Went to a yard sale today and got Pokemon Silver for $2 (CAD (lol)). Battery doesn't work though so it can't save, I kind of want to replace the battery but looks like I need a specific screwdriver to open the back. I think I'll just chuck it on eBay as is.

Well despite fighting nasty tremors and a migraine, got a kit done today. Really love this line in spite of the hundreds of stickers(with some fighting me hard). Really begs to be painted tho. Didn’t panel line the deck since I don’t have any pour type markers

IMG_7387.jpg

IMG_7386.jpg

IMG_7385.jpg

IMG_7389.jpg

Been a while since I grabbed one of these. When my backlogs down I’ll consider another. Will probably display my ships a bit this winter.

Not sure what I’m going to build next. Probably something not in my storage stuff with the move coming up, leaving Fourze Figurerise or HG Penelope. Well depending on what happens, may have to pause a minute

Time for some food then video games

Went to a yard sale today and got Pokemon Silver for $2 (CAD (lol)). Battery doesn't work though so it can't save, I kind of want to replace the battery but looks like I need a specific screwdriver to open the back. I think I'll just chuck it on eBay as is.
it's also a solder job so you've probably chosen wisely lol

So, uh Mexican Eshop just cancelled my Super Mario Wonder preorder with voucher (and got the voucher back) and currently the game is not available for preorder (with money or vouchers). I'm guessing with how the exchange rate has varied a lot in this weeks they don't want to take a chance changing the price again, but still found weird they would cancel the voucher

the need for a NFS
I feel the need, the need for need for speed

sees that this is the only stickied thread

The hierarchy of power in the Famiboards universe has changed.
careful, look how that worked out for Rock "The Dwayne" Johnson

So what else is new, Fami?
well after finishing Sea of Stars last night and having a lil cry, I decided to go ahead and get the "true" ending this afternoon, which was fantastic, and then I watched the making-of documentary for it, and now youtube recommended me a video with Jirard The Completionist talking about his unexpected inclusion/involvement in the game and it's giving me yet another lil cry.

well after finishing Sea of Stars last night and having a little cry, I decided to go ahead and get the "true" ending this afternoon, which was fantastic, and then I watched the making-of documentary for it, and now youtube recommended me a video with Jirard The Completionist talking about his unexpected inclusion/involvement in the game and it's giving me yet another little cry.
I absolutely do have to get around to play Sea of Stars one day, but I ought to finish what I started. Side-eyes Yakuza: Like a Dragon and Crisis Core Reunion.

I don't think I've ever posted in one of these threads before, or at least don't remember doing so. Surprisingly anxious, despite no real reason to be.

But hello, everyone!

To answer this week's--well, I guess it's last week's thread question now--I joined Fami a while back from ERA, and have enjoyed seeing this community grow and prosper. Happy Famiversary!

Hmm... what else?

Oh!

I finally reached the credits of Tears of the Kingdom today! I stopped my playthrough on May 30th (at least that was my last save) because I gave my brother my copy so he could just enjoy it, and didn't go back to it until last week! Did about 30 hours since, and now 120 hours later, got all the shrines above ground and Lightroots below completed and found respectively. Definitely my GotY so far, out of the games I've played. Need to finish Pikmin 4 now.

Other than that, I made a new avatar too for my Fami self, so yay! Hope you all had a wonderful weekend/time zone!

I don't think I've ever posted in one of these threads before, or at least don't remember doing so. Surprisingly anxious, despite no real reason to be.

But hello, everyone!

To answer this week's--well, I guess it's last week's thread question now--I joined Fami a while back from ERA, and have enjoyed seeing this community grow and prosper. Happy Famiversary!

Hmm... what else?

Oh!

I finally reached the credits of Tears of the Kingdom today! I stopped my playthrough on May 30th (at least that was my last save) because I gave my brother my copy so he could just enjoy it, and didn't go back to it until last week! Did about 30 hours since, and now 120 hours later, got all the shrines above ground and Lightroots below completed and found respectively. Definitely my GotY so far, out of the games I've played. Need to finish Pikmin 4 now.

Other than that, I made a new avatar too for my Fami self, so yay! Hope you all had a wonderful weekend/time zone!
Ayy, welcome!

I think I have around the same amount of hours in it, which honestly blows my mind. I think I had probably 200-250 hours in BotW... across three playthroughs. A single playthrough of TotK easily clocking over 100 hours just blows my mind. A 100-hour Zelda game, geez.

I want to play a new Wario Land on the Switch.
I wonder what direction a new Wario Land could take. A more open platformer? Level based progression or more open world/Metroidvania? The timer-based mechanics of the last two games? It's such a diverse series of games in terms of structure, something that leaves each title as a memorable time on its own!

Weekly Question #2
And before the day ends, we have another Weekly Question for y'all!

What was your favorite moment on Famiboards? It could be a specific thread, an event, or a particular interaction you had. For our new members, use this week to make some memories worth sharing!

As for mine, I have a few moments in mind:
  • Segaboards, the April Fool's Day 2023 gag. I really wanted to play up the character of the Mario fanboy stuck in a Sega loving universe where everyone else was none the wiser, and the staff was really supportive of the gag. I am very much looking forward to whatever is done for next year's gag.
  • Running the Super Mario All-Stars Celebration Event. I find that the badge events we run are super cool ways to play new games or replay old favorites, and I was honored to design an event for my favorite series in celebration of all the Mario stuff going on this year. I have more ideas for future events and I'd love to keep hosting them, even after I end my moderation duties.
  • Making @Suswave laugh so hard that they spit their drink out, leading to them making a "Spit Winner" badge which, to this day, I include as part of all of my Famiboards icons in some way.
I hope all of the new folks can find Famiboards to be a place where you can make these kinds of memories!

What was your favorite moment on Famiboards? It could be a specific thread, an event, or a particular interaction you had. For our new members, use this week to make some memories worth sharing!

• Segaboards, the April Fool's Day 2023 gag. I really wanted to play up the character of the Mario fanboy stuck in a Sega loving universe where everyone else was none the wiser, and the staff was really supportive of the gag. I am very much looking forward to whatever is done for next year's gag.
  • Running the Super Mario All-Stars Celebration Event. I find that the badge events we run are super cool ways to play new games or replay old favorites, and I was honored to design an event for my favorite series in celebration of all the Mario stuff going on this year. I have more ideas for future events and I'd love to keep hosting them, even after I end my moderation duties.
  • Making @Suswave laugh so hard that they spit their drink out, leading to them making a "Spit Winner" badge which, to this day, I include as part of all of my Famiboards icons in some way.
I hope all of the new folks can find Famiboards to be a place where you can make these kinds of memories!
That's a tough question, the first year was pretty unpleasant as a mod and I needed a bit of a break after that. I only really feel like my engagement has increased over the past few months.

That being said, seeing the progress Suswave and Skittzo have been making on their games has been such a delight. I can't wait to play them and by gum if they come to switch too I'll double dip. In general being witness to the creativity of our Famicomrades is a greatly appreciated treat, from memes to music it brightens up my day.

I can't not mention The Process too, new additions to Fami lore are always welcome.
If there's one thing this thread knows how to do, it's serve cult.

oooooh I loved Segaboards. As an actual unironic fan of Sega (and of Chao~), it really made my day/week/howeverlongIleftiton.

Also, related to Sega: I did get a kick out of everyone's reactions when I changed my avatar to Tails for the week or two surrounding the release of Sonic the Moviehog 2. It was a surprise to see how much people had begun to associate me with my Sonic plushie (which is why I Sonicized my Wohoy and put him on the same background) but it was also fun because there was a lot of negativity online surrounding the casting of Colleen O'Shaughnessey as Tails, and I wanted to sport my sweet yellow boi as a way to show support for Colleen, her work as Tails, and how generous it was for the studio to bring her into a cast that was full of Hollywood actors.

Another thing I enjoyed was being present for and participating in the testing of new Famifeatures such as the profile customizations in the Super Market. Still sporting the badge for that!

Also one of my favorite goofy memories was way back before Famicoins were something that could be earned/spent, they were just a holdover from an April Fools joke I mean a totally real thing that happened where Wario took over Famiboards and tried to commoditize it. We all had a set number of Famicoins that were just there, and bellydrum offered to allow us to trade or donate them around so we could all have chosen amounts on display as a joke. But there was a finite amount of coins in the program, so when @Suswave wanted a specific number (that was meaningful to them) and there weren't enough coins to go around anymore, I asked if I could donate enough to Sus that my account would go into a negative number. The program actually allowed it, and I was then "in Famicoin debt," which I said a few times was my commentary on the American student loan crisis. 😅

Also I know other users are gonna say this too but it was incredible that Fami managed to get up and running right in time for the countdown to Metroid Dread. That was an amazing time to be part of a Nintendo community. Also holy cow, happy 2nd birthday to Metroid Dread!! (it's still the 8th in my neck of the woods)

Edit: I just realized two of my "favorite moments" are either about or adjacent to the elaborate April Fools jokes Fami has done and I wanna say I appreciate those so much yall. Many thanks for the work that goes into those, I know it ain't simple.

Last edited:
You folks sure like to change things over weekends and surprise me with changed stuff on mondays, huh?

everyone has to play sin & punishment 2 now

never-ever.gif

(I legit forgot if i played it already...)

With the new mods finally announced, I do wanna say that if moderating for Fami ever seems like something any of y'all wanna do, there'd be no harm in reaching out with a casual "Hey, just putting my name out there as one to consider." We obviously won't be adding anyone new to the mod team until months from now, but it helps a lot to know in advance who'd be interested.

I already have around five people in mind for next time. 🫡 I'm not saying who!

So ... uh ... just in ... you know just in case my name happens to be on that list ... uh ... are there ... you know ... some monetary ways to make my name disappear from that list? You know ... discreetly?

Just kidding.

So Dragon Quest I, II and III got a rerelease on Switch. Would be nice if the Zenithia trilogy would get the same treatment 😁

I have the feeling that DQ 3 HD2D Remake isn't going to stay the only HD2D remake of the series. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom