• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST25 October 2023| Have a Wonderful Famiversary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horii said they want to do I and II as HD 2D games right after announcing III lol. As long as III sells well...

I love Horii saying things!

Personally, waiting for Horii to say something about an unannounced new Nintendo system again, any day now! ^^

And before the day ends, we have another Weekly Question for y'all!

What was your favorite moment on Famiboards? It could be a specific thread, an event, or a particular interaction you had. For our new members, use this week to make some memories worth sharing!

As for mine, I have a few moments in mind:
  • Segaboards, the April Fool's Day 2023 gag. I really wanted to play up the character of the Mario fanboy stuck in a Sega loving universe where everyone else was none the wiser, and the staff was really supportive of the gag. I am very much looking forward to whatever is done for next year's gag.
  • Running the Super Mario All-Stars Celebration Event. I find that the badge events we run are super cool ways to play new games or replay old favorites, and I was honored to design an event for my favorite series in celebration of all the Mario stuff going on this year. I have more ideas for future events and I'd love to keep hosting them, even after I end my moderation duties.
  • Making @Suswave laugh so hard that they spit their drink out, leading to them making a "Spit Winner" badge which, to this day, I include as part of all of my Famiboards icons in some way.
I hope all of the new folks can find Famiboards to be a place where you can make these kinds of memories!
I’ll share a few like VolcanicDynamo here:

Getting to run both last year’s September General Discussion thread (ST12) and our last Direct Speculation thread were awesome moments for me. I really wanted to make and share something cool with the community together so I’m glad people largely really enjoyed both threads. My favorite thread will always be the RPGs ST as it was my first ST ever on a topic I love dearly (all of you who participate there rock :) )

Anytime we crashed the website together getting hyped for the first tweet of the day and the Direct announcement tweet in a Direct Speculation thread. It’s just the peak of speculating together. Our last two times together in particular were the most special to me with the avatar bet bloodbath and of course when we got the Direct we all were hyped for a month plus for.

The absolute most wild moment in all of Fami history has to the be the saga of the second Mr.Bones who is a completely different and far cooler person than our prior one. This was the absolute most amazing story to come from the last Direct Speculation thread and literally everything about how it played out and the reaction to it was perfect. I was asleep when it happened and I can’t imagine what it was like to live it.

What was your favorite moment on Famiboards? It could be a specific thread, an event, or a particular interaction you had. For our new members, use this week to make some memories worth sharing!

• Segaboards, the April Fool's Day 2023 gag. I really wanted to play up the character of the Mario fanboy stuck in a Sega loving universe where everyone else was none the wiser, and the staff was really supportive of the gag. I am very much looking forward to whatever is done for next year's gag.
  • Running the Super Mario All-Stars Celebration Event. I find that the badge events we run are super cool ways to play new games or replay old favorites, and I was honored to design an event for my favorite series in celebration of all the Mario stuff going on this year. I have more ideas for future events and I'd love to keep hosting them, even after I end my moderation duties.
  • Making @Suswave laugh so hard that they spit their drink out, leading to them making a "Spit Winner" badge which, to this day, I include as part of all of my Famiboards icons in some way.
I hope all of the new folks can find Famiboards to be a place where you can make these kinds of memories!
Honestly when I lost my bet and the mods' response to my ban request was something like: "are you stupid?" lmao

@Suswave was gushing about Cocoon, so I decided to give it a look as well. It's on Game Pass anyway, so why not.

Well, I ended up playing through all of it in just two sittings, and can confirm that it is a damn fine video game. It is rather short, too! Took me 5 hours to complete, which makes for a nice little palette cleanser, or to give your ego a boost because you finally, actually managed to complete a game amongst all the ones that take dozens to hundreds of hours to complete and you are still chipping away at at a snail's pace.

Wholeheartedly recommend.

Horizon Zero Dawn is a pretty good game, I’m enjoying it a lot on my second play through. The first time I don’t think I gave it enough time and just ran straight through the main quests, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. They’ve crafted a special and intriguing world. The combat, even though it’s frustrating at times, is fun and rewarding.

Fighting a Thunderjaw in a Cauldron got my heart racing. The Cauldron with the Stalkers and bandits was super annoying though.

I think I’m gonna have to do the same with the Last of Us, as I just played it for the sake of it the first time and didn’t really bother getting to learn the games mechanics properly or taking the story in. Would you folks recommend the remake of Part 1?

I don't remember if it was on here or Discord, but there was a time that @Skittzo and I were going back and forth about Ganondorf and he conjured the image of a football playing "Rich Ganondorf" that I still think about every Sunday when I watch football.

I don't remember if it was on here or Discord, but there was a time that @Skittzo and I were going back and forth about Ganondorf and he conjured the image of a football playing "Rich Ganondorf" that I still think about every Sunday when I watch football.
Pretty sure that was here.

I can't not think ganondorf whenever I hear any mention of Rich Ganon to be fair.

Horizon Zero Dawn is a pretty good game, I’m enjoying it a lot on my second play through. The first time I don’t think I gave it enough time and just ran straight through the main quests, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. They’ve crafted a special and intriguing world. The combat, even though it’s frustrating at times, is fun and rewarding.

Fighting a Thunderjaw in a Cauldron got my heart racing. The Cauldron with the Stalkers and bandits was super annoying though.

I think I’m gonna have to do the same with the Last of Us, as I just played it for the sake of it the first time and didn’t really bother getting to learn the games mechanics properly or taking the story in. Would you folks recommend the remake of Part 1?
I really liked the combat but couldn't get into the open world despite trying several times. Somebody needs to make a mod that turns it into a wide-linear game for me specifically.

I will try it again... one day

I really liked the combat but couldn't get into the open world despite trying several times. Somebody needs to make a mod that turns it into a wide-linear game for me specifically.

I will try it again... one day
Idk about you but the map was really off putting, just way too many icons. It made me not want to explore. This time I turned off all of the machine and campfire icons, and only turned them on when I wanted to fast travel. The map doesn’t look insanely dense any more and the POI are easier to ahem focus on.

This one is tough, especially since I have been involved in so many of them lol.

• Super Mario All-Stars Celebration event for sure. Going back and replaying all of the Mario games, some for the first time in 10+ years, was nothing short of amazing.
  • The Wario April Fools theme was amazing.
Too many to pick, tbh lol.

I haven't played Zero Dawn in about five years, but it was a lot of fun. The lore is what really stood out to me in that game, along with a good story. That was the one area in the sequel that I thought fell short in.

Does anyone else feel like VN's are something like the jankiest and most uneven genre of games? It''s a genre sporting some phenomenal all-timers - Steins;Gate, Ace Attorney, Zero Escape, Fata Morgana etc... and yet, browsing the Steam tag has you shuffle through loads and loads and loads of VNs that just looks unappealing and cheap.

I haven't played Zero Dawn in about five years, but it was a lot of fun. The lore is what really stood out to me in that game, along with a good story. That was the one area in the sequel that I thought fell short in.
Yeah, if you take the time to piece everything together it’s a lot more engaging. I suppose, as with most games, the side stuff, whilst optional, is there to better inform and give context to the world that you’re playing in, which generally leads to a better experience. Some games do it tastefully, others are just a bloated mess. I thought HZD was the latter but I’ve changed my mind now.

"purchases" this year I've regretted more than two (2) Animal Crossing coffee cups:
  • Everybody 1-2 Switch!
  • two crappy oven mitts from Target
  • a Splatoon 3 case (on clearance)
  • PC Building Simulator on Humble
  • a jar of "Goober" (disgusting)
  • Metroid Prime Remastered
  • Pikmin and Pikmin 2 on Wii U (March)
  • Pikmin 1 + 2 on Switch (June)
  • pretty much every time I got bread
  • Tears of the Kingdom

Nintendo here be like "preorder now Mario wonder, best Mario ever again"
Also Nintendo: " we have disabled preorders and voucher for Mario wonder in your country, don't want anybody not from mx to buy a cheaper game"

"purchases" this year I've regretted more than two (2) Animal Crossing coffee cups:
  • Everybody 1-2 Switch!
  • Tears of the Kingdom
Oh no don't tell me you hate Pikmin 2, too.

Really curious about the oven mitts tbh. Not enough insulation?

• Everybody 1-2 Switch!
  • Tears of the Kingdom
bread hater???? thought something called goober could be good???? pikmin hater all of a sudden? who are you

Does anyone else feel like VN's are something like the jankiest and most uneven genre of games? It''s a genre sporting some phenomenal all-timers - Steins;Gate, Ace Attorney, Zero Escape, Fata Morgana etc... and yet, browsing the Steam tag has you shuffle through loads and loads and loads of VNs that just looks unappealing and cheap.
Probably because they can be relatively cheap and quick to make, so there's a lot of shovelware out there. Of course, the really good ones are definitely not cheap or churned out by any means, I just mean that compared to most other genres, you can throw together a super quick and janky VN much more easily. That, and given that one of the most important elements of them are the artwork and that's often the prominent advertising point, some companies try to just cover up the fact that their game is terrible by plastering images full of near-hentai art and hope people bite on it.

pretty much every time I got bread
That’s because you didn’t got bread from the finest bread place

IMG-0063.webp

Sorry just practicing my role in the upcoming “Derachi: The Musical”

I got a little past the tutorial area in HZD but stopped not too long after that. I think playing it after BOTW really did hurt my perception of the game. I could see how restrictive the level and world design world. Like I could tell right away which parts of the world the game wanted me to interact with and which it didn't. I thought it was more restrictive than even Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

I got a little past the tutorial area in HZD but stopped not too long after that. I think playing it after BOTW really did hurt my perception of the game. I could see how restrictive the level and world design world. Like I could tell right away which parts of the world the game wanted me to interact with and which it didn't. I thought it was more restrictive than even Assassin's Creed Odyssey.
oh my god, you just reminded me, yeah!! that’s also a big factor in why I didn’t enjoy it, BotW blew my expectations out of proportion that year and I couldn’t help but compare the two. Nintendo’s fault lol

@Suswave was gushing about Cocoon, so I decided to give it a look as well. It's on Game Pass anyway, so why not.

Well, I ended up playing through all of it in just two sittings, and can confirm that it is a damn fine video game. It is rather short, too! Took me 5 hours to complete, which makes for a nice little palette cleanser, or to give your ego a boost because you finally, actually managed to complete a game amongst all the ones that take dozens to hundreds of hours to complete and you are still chipping away at at a snail's pace.

the mechanics… and the presentation…

i just…

keep finding myself staring at it, jaw on the floor, even now that I am programming my own game and can half wrap my head around how the fuck they’re doing it…

Nintendo here be like "preorder now Mario wonder, best Mario ever again"
Also Nintendo: " we have disabled preorders and voucher for Mario wonder in your country, don't want anybody not from mx to buy a cheaper game"
That's lame as hell, so not even people in Mexico can use them?

This is how I feel too and I've mentioned it a few times. It's actually insane just how good, and in some ways creative, the combat in that game is. Yeah Alloy is very heavy and the melee controls feel like ass, but the back and forth between taking off enemies parts and using them as weapons against them, as well as the methodical use of traps, is very fun. It's Monster Hunter like no doubt but it's very different with a much bigger focus on per projectile / planning based combat.

The opening of that game is frankly awful though, it REALLY drags, for a long time I kept restarting it and getting to the part where your adoptive dad has a problem and just stopping. It's also really a shame that they couldn't get the open world part right, because part of the appeal is seeing these semi-realistic animal robots in these serene environments. What really triggers me too is how the game sets up some RPG like ideas of choices mattering for sidequests and it's so transparent how little thought was put into it, because taking more from RPG heavy games could have made the open world more believable and interesting.

I finished it and mostly liked it but by the end I didn't want to play more. I've never played an Assassin's Creed but I imagine that's exactly what they're like.

This is very off topic but it's been bothering me for a few days and I really need to just get some of you feet and inch people to explain it to me

Me and the wife changed banks just recently and it was a hassle as expected, but we got a better deal in the end compared to our previous one. But since I also did a lot of research related to economy during that time I got a whole bunch of videos in my social media reels that's basically about people calling in to shows talking about their financial situation and how to come out of debt and or invest and what not.

And besides some absolutely crazy stuff in terms of debt and how some people with larger than life salaries still cant handle it one thing stood out to me - why on earth doyou need to go to debt (credit cards) to be able to get loans. Learning that parents take out credit cards and use in their kids name to build credit score. That's messed up. And I cant drop it from dominating my thoughts

AMERICA - WHAT IS GOING ON?! Why is this a thing.

This is very off topic but it's been bothering me for a few days and I really need to just get some of you feet and inch people to explain it to me

Me and the wife changed banks just recently and it was a hassle as expected, but we got a better deal in the end compared to our previous one. But since I also did a lot of research related to economy during that time I got a whole bunch of videos in my social media reels that's basically about people calling in to shows talking about their financial situation and how to come out of debt and or invest and what not.

And besides some absolutely crazy stuff in terms of debt and how some people with larger than life salaries still cant handle it one thing stood out to me - why on earth doyou need to go to debt (credit cards) to be able to get loans. Learning that parents take out credit cards and use in their kids name to build credit score. That's messed up. And I cant drop it from dominating my thoughts

AMERICA - WHAT IS GOING ON?! Why is this a thing.
The official line is that in order for someone to be deemed creditworthy, they must have a credit history to confirm that they are likely to pay back their debts. In practice, of course, this is nonsense. For example, a long history of on-time rental payments, documented employment, and perhaps some savings, should of course demonstrate creditworthiness much better than your parents opening you a credit card you barely know about and never use when you're 16, but none of that counts here. I have a friend whose credit score went down after they paid off their student loans because they no longer had a "good mix of credit". Moreover, using more than 30% of a revolving line of credit - i.e. making payments on time, but actually using the credit allotted to you, which in theory is a valid use of a credit card - will lower your score.

I assume it's just a matter of credit reporting bureaus being in bed with the lenders, and of course lenders want you to have more lines of credit, so they've created a system where in order to be eligible for a line of credit one might actually want (i.e. car loan, mortage), you must already have several you probably didn't need (credit card, personal loan). And this being the US, corporations are basically allowed to do whatever they want, no matter how blatantly corrupt.

the mechanics… and the presentation…

i just…

keep finding myself staring at it, jaw on the floor, even now that I am programming my own game and can half wrap my head around how the fuck they’re doing it…

It's so good! I definitely had more than one "now you're thinking with portals" moments during that game where I had a minor sticking point that forces me to rethink the scenario in front of me with it's own particular ruleset it had established so far. When you come to that realisation with something and it works, it's extremely saatisfying lol. And yes, it's really nice sometimes to just sit down and finish a game and be done, something that's became harder and harder lol.

The official line is that in order for someone to be deemed creditworthy, they must have a credit history to confirm that they are likely to pay back their debts. In practice, of course, this is nonsense. For example, a long history of on-time rental payments, documented employment, and perhaps some savings, should of course demonstrate creditworthiness much better than your parents opening you a credit card you barely know about and never use when you're 16, but none of that counts here. I have a friend whose credit score went down after they paid off their student loans because they no longer had a "good mix of credit". Moreover, using more than 30% of a revolving line of credit - i.e. making payments on time, but actually using the credit allotted to you, which in theory is a valid use of a credit card - will lower your score.

I assume it's just a matter of credit reporting bureaus being in bed with the lenders, and of course lenders want you to have more lines of credit, so they've created a system where in order to be eligible for a line of credit one might actually want (i.e. car loan, mortage), you must already have several you probably didn't need (credit card, personal loan). And this being the US, corporations are basically allowed to do whatever they want, no matter how blatantly corrupt.

That's so depressing, sounds like a trap.

This is how I feel too and I've mentioned it a few times. It's actually insane just how good, and in some ways creative, the combat in that game is. Yeah Alloy is very heavy and the melee controls feel like ass, but the back and forth between taking off enemies parts and using them as weapons against them, as well as the methodical use of traps, is very fun. It's Monster Hunter like no doubt but it's very different with a much bigger focus on per projectile / planning based combat.

The opening of that game is frankly awful though, it REALLY drags, for a long time I kept restarting it and getting to the part where your adoptive dad has a problem and just stopping. It's also really a shame that they couldn't get the open world part right, because part of the appeal is seeing these semi-realistic animal robots in these serene environments. What really triggers me too is how the game sets up some RPG like ideas of choices mattering for sidequests and it's so transparent how little thought was put into it, because taking more from RPG heavy games could have made the open world more believable and interesting.

I finished it and mostly liked it but by the end I didn't want to play more. I've never played an Assassin's Creed but I imagine that's exactly what they're like.
These are my feelings on Horizon to a T. I started it several times and I never felt like the game justified its open world beyond aesthetics and immersion, which it constantly breaks with invisible walls anyway. Combined with the, as you mentioned, fairly shallow RPG mechanics I couldn't help but feel that making it a linear game that takes you through large interconnected areas would have served both the narrative and the gameplay better. I generally wish most PlayStation AAA games (except Spidey) stuck to more compact world like God of War and The Last of Us Pt. II. It fits their "house style" much better, imo.

The sequel might be better in this regard but I haven't played it yet.

Managed to get the initial ending in Pikmin 4 this morning! Before that, I finished what I wanted to do in Tears of the Kingdom.
Still, lots more story to play through, as I understand, for Pikmin 4, and I'm ready for it!

The original Horizon game is not a bad game at all, but playing Breath of the Wild first spoiled me on open world design.

I loved the robots in the game. Absolutely amazing designs. Gameplay loop is mostly fun too. The game drags on though. I platted the game, but at a certain point I was done with it and just hoped the ending would come soon hah.

But that’s a problem several PlayStation games faced, like Ghost of Tsushima or *shudders * Days Gone.

The original Horizon game is not a bad game at all, but playing Breath of the Wild first spoiled me on open world design.

I loved the robots in the game. Absolutely amazing designs. Gameplay loop is mostly fun too. The game drags on though. I platted the game, but at a certain point I was done with it and just hoped the ending would come soon hah.

But that’s a problem several PlayStation games faced, like Ghost of Tsushima or *shudders * Days Gone.
I thought Horizon was a great game as well. Suffers a little bit from the Ubisoft “go do all these missions in each area of the map” though. Still did those because they had the best gameplay. I think the combat and movement were all great and loved the robot battles. Human battles felt a little toothless by the end though when you can just use your various arrows to destroy whole camps. Liked the story a lot and felt the twists, although predictable, played out somewhat differently than I first thought (though final result was the same). Some of the cinematic were janky but otherwise performance was good. Have the sequel but not sure I have much desire to play it for a while.

Does anyone else feel like VN's are something like the jankiest and most uneven genre of games?
My only advice is to not bother browsing through Steam for VNs. A lot of crap out there trying to hook people with cheap, lewd art.

I just got super nostalgic for my old MP3 collection. I don’t think I have it anymore.. once Spotify came around, there was no need to keep it, and I think it ended up on a dead hard drive. Spotify is fantastic, and I wouldn’t trade access to any song I can think of for my MP3 collection, but there’s something special about those few thousand songs and my blue Zune.

Does anyone still have their MP3 collection?

I just got super nostalgic for my old MP3 collection. I don’t think I have it anymore.. once Spotify came around, there was no need to keep it, and I think it ended up on a dead hard drive. Spotify is fantastic, and I wouldn’t trade access to any song I can think of for my MP3 collection, but there’s something special about those few thousand songs and my blue Zune.

I do, but it was all rolled over via iTunes to Apple Music forced integration (I guess those are MP4 or whatever but hope the sentiment is what you were going for). The best thing back in the day was when Amazon would give you the digital album if you bought a CD. Those also integrated into Amazon music which was cool when they had their curated selection instead of the random play system they have now.

I've been playing Soul Calibur 2 and 6 and I'm starting to hanker for a complete edition of 2 on the Switch with all 3 guest characters (and rollback netcode). Maybe a port of 6 for Switch 2? Maybe a sequel, too? Please Bandai Namco.......

I still have some of mine, but I generally use Spotify too. Sometimes I encounter stuff it doesn't have, which is frustrating but it's still got a lot, which works for me most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom