• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST25 October 2023| Have a Wonderful Famiversary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's back, baby!

giphy.gif
OW9shkR.gif

Just finished the OG Final Fantasy VII for the first time and...

giphy.gif

It's such a varied and unique game with so many different facets and styles, that it honestly feels like something I haven't ever played before. I can so clearly see why this game become such a beloved classic, even if I'd have probably hated playing it the 'normal' way (i.e. without the blessing that is 3X speed and a random encounters toggle). I can also see why people were clamouring for a remake; I could feel its age in almost every moment, even if it felt timeless in others.

Its graphics are a mixture of some of the most beautiful, if blurry, pre-rendered backgrounds I've ever seen, and CGI cutscenes that look jank as all fuck. Its gameplay is a mixture of incredibly slow, traditional JRPG gameplay (seriously, felt like I could go make a sandwich in the time it takes Bahamut Zero to attack), and genuinely impressive in-depth character customisation and world exploration. There's so much to love here but also a lot that you really need to look past in order to do so. Either way, I can definitely say that this is one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

It's also, admittedly, made my anticipation for Rebirth into something fierce. Even if that game completely fumbles the bag in terms of its 'new' story elements, seeing so many of the PS1 elements made in cutting-edge new graphics is going to be an absolute treat. One thing that felt so sorely-lacking from the OG was more depth and 'time' with its main characters (especially as they all fuck off if they're not in your immediate party), and Remake - then Rebirth - are gonna do just that. So, yeah.

Gonna watch Advent Children next, I think. Then play that copy of Crisis Core I got for the Switch. I'm officially a FF7 fan now lol.
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it and came to it late too… but after finishing it last month I wound up liking VIII More

I have come to appreciate Final Fantasy VII more over the years.

It my third favourite in the series (behind Final Fantasy IX and VI) and I played it about six years after it's release. While I enjoyed the game a lot and understand why it got hyped like it did, I think the game did not have that big of an impact on me back then. I was never one to like the brooding loner types like Cloud (and got more of that with Squall in VIII) and I dunno, but the overall story did not do it for me. Did like the characters like Aerith, Tifa, Red XIII and Cid. I was a fan of the goofyness, with Cloud and Barret's date, the Golden Saucer stuff and Sephiroth doing his.

Years later, having played a bunch of RPG's, more Final Fantasy games as well, it dawned on me how much I remembered about my adventure in FF VII. You have to be a good game to achieve it. Playing the remake cemented that. FF VII is special.

FF IX and VI are still better though :3

This is like the most famiboard activity that’s not video games or talking video games.
I'm really hoping he caters to that audience tonight.

"What's the deal with the Switch Lite? It doesn't Switch! I can play it on the bus, but I can't play it on my TV. That's a key component of the Switch! It should be called the Game Boy Lite!"

Whaddya mean they already did that?!

It's not really news that Sea of Stars has some good music, but this has been stuck in my head for DAYS:

The best thing about FF7 is the Safer fight. One-Winged Angel fits the fight so well, and remains a masterpiece to this day.

FF9 is cosy, though, and that's why it will always be better.

Any Kylie fans here? Because I listened to Tension fully today and that album is amazing!

Watched Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves last night. It was good! Lots of stuff up on Amazon Prime right now. I see that The Batman is on there. Maybe I'll watch that tonight.

Lots of games to play but also a ton of shit to watch.

The best thing about FF7 is the Safer fight. One-Winged Angel fits the fight so well, and remains a masterpiece to this day.

FF9 is cosy, though, and that's why it will always be better.
Yeah, I'll always prefer FF9 (and even 8) for the PS1 FFs, but FF7 has some incredibly good moments, like that fight. But the atmosphere and vibe of FF9 is still some of the best ever for me. I really can't wait to see how they do the remake, and if it keeps that.

dynasty warriors is often misrepresented

My bad, this was a tweet by forestminish:

https://nitter.net/forestminish/status/1713239154731942149#m

I had to think about this for a while, my answer would be:

$5 Chrono Trigger
$4 EarthBound, Yoshi's Island
$1 Tetris Attack, TopGear

You have $15 to build your dream SNES collection. Which games do you choose?

media%2FF8al7bKXAAAeJJP.jpg%3Fname%3Dsmall%26format%3Dwebp
Chrono Trigger, Super Mario World, Earthbound, Tetris Attack

$5 Chrono Trigger

Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VI, and Chrono Trigger easy. (Disturbing lack of Kirby Super Star in this chart.)

$5 Chrono Trigger

I not really the biggest fan of the SNES line-up so I’ll take

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI

And ask for the 2 Fire emblem games with my last 5 bucks if i can lol

But In all seriousness. It would be Link to the Past

$5 Chrono Trigger

this is so easy for me because I love mid

F-ZERO, Mario Paint, Super Punch-Out!!, EarthBound, and Super Metroid

with my spare dollar I'll go for Tetris Attack

A little update on me. I recently started taking a vitamin b12 supplement for my hand shaking and other issues it had that someone suggested I take for it as it could be muscle fatigue and it appears to help.

I started playing video games for longer periods again instead of just an hour. I’ve been playing sonic generations, gotham knights and halo infinite

Sonic was on my series x, looked and ran pretty good. I beaten it today and I have to say, it was a good video game.

I’m playing gotham knights on game pass and I’m enjoying it so far.

I returned to halo after dropping and I will say there’s no online game that fits me like halo does. Splatoon came close though.

Overall, having fun enjoying myself playing games again

No but why is the concept of context relevant to mac and cheese? Is it enough to have the cheese nice and melted? Is there a life metaphor here that we’re missing? A prophecy for the next installment of Punch Out?

Thinking of buying Japanese eShop credit just to get that damn watermelon game (I haven't played anything else than its mobile version this weekend).

Any other Japan exclusive games worth picking up? Preferrably games with an English translation or very little text.

Weekly Question #3
Another week, another Weekly Question! And boy, what a week we got coming up! Super Mario Bros. Wonder comes out in just a few days! But it's one game in a stacked month. Spider-Man 2 comes out the same day, we got a new 2D Sonic releasing on Tuesday, and lots more before and after them. What's your most anticipated game of the month?

If you have to ask me what my answer to that question is, you clearly don't know me well enough.

Another week, another Weekly Question! And boy, what a week we got coming up! Super Mario Bros. Wonder comes out in just a few days! But it's one game in a stacked month. Spider-Man 2 comes out the same day, we got a new 2D Sonic releasing on Tuesday, and lots more before and after them. What's your most anticipated game of the month?
tumblr_lw2kxwlqPf1r88whxo1_500.gif

If you have to ask me what my answer to that question is, you clearly don't know me well enough.
Super Mario Bros Wonder > Alan Wake II > Spider-Man 2 for my most hyped this month. I’m super excited for all three and it’s very close between them. Mario has the quality, Alan Wake has the wild story, and Spider-Man 2 has tons of cool characters. Then we have Like A Dragon Gaiden and Super Mario RPG next month. Such an awesome time for gaming :)

Super Mario Bros. Wonder, my dude! Gotta support my pals at the C-Team!

And, who knows? With all our love and help, maybe one day they can become...

THE A-TEAM.

Mine has been Forza Motorsport, and it did not disappoint.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder, my dude! Gotta support my pals at the C-Team!

And, who knows? With all our love and help, maybe one day they can become...

THE A-TEAM.

I wonder (pun intended) if, when sales are good, this c-team bullshit gets fired back at Chris Dring. Mario OLED sales in Japan point towards great sales, and I don't like social media shitting, but so-called experts being held accountable for their analyses on subject matter is something I support.

Edit: to elaborate: lots of these people who are reporting on the industry have power they don't seem to realize they hold. I think it's important to be transparant in what you do as a professional in this industry. To just sent out this C-Team bullshit as a valid argument for your personal expectations on a game hurts everyone: your credibility in this industry, but also the people working on the game. I just feel it is extremely condescending.

Sorry for my rant.

Last edited:
I dont need a new switch, my launch model is still fine, I primarily play on tv, and there is an actual
New switch coming out next year. But man, I really want the mario oled

I wonder (pun intended) if, when sales are good, this c-team bullshit gets fired back at Chris Dring. Mario OLED sales in Japan point towards great sales, and I don't like social media shitting, but so-called experts being held accountable for their analyses on subject matter is something I support.

Edit: to elaborate: lots of these people who are reporting on the industry have power they don't seem to realize they hold. I think it's important to be transparant in what you do as a professional in this industry. To just sent out this C-Team bullshit as a valid argument for your personal expectations on a game hurts everyone: your credibility in this industry, but also the people working on the game. I just feel it is extremely condescending.

Sorry for my rant.
The whole C-team situation annoys me to no end because, even if it were true, it is absolutely pointless. When Dring and others started reporting the "no big games in 2023 after Tears of the Kingdom" thing, someone specifically asked Dring on Twitter about the possibility of Mario games, to which he replied that nope, no Mario games, period. So whether it was developed by the C-team, the B-team or the ZZZ-team, that info was simply wrong.

And this could have been avoided so easily; Nintendo is (in)famously secretive. No one knows everything Nintendo has up their sleeves, so he simply could have said "Oh, damn, I had no idea about this!". Would some people still give him crap about it? Sure, the internet is full of dickheads. But it wouldn't be as sad to witness as this whole "Oh, yeah, I totally knew about this, but it doesn't count because it won't sell well! I mean because it won't sell well day one! I mean because it's not important! I mean because the people developing it are not important!" spiel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom