• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST25 October 2023| Have a Wonderful Famiversary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to fix the problem with my Switch by doing a full power cycle. Wrangled it down, going through the low battery screen and orange screens, to what I thought was basically dead battery, where I would turn it on and it would boot then and shut off, so I let it sit without charging for a few hours. Came back to find it at 13% and running normally. At least it seems to be depleting normally now, since it's drained to 4% with me leaving it on at max brightness

Replaying Fire Emblem (The Blazing Blade) reminded me how snappy the story telling can be older games, especially on handhelds. In the span of 1 hour, Lyn finds you hung over in a field, become best friends, discover that she's the true heir to a kingdom, and obtain a legendary sword.

Well finished the revisit part of Captain Toad with the main chapters and specials(had the original wiiu version). Time for the new content in the bonus stuff! Tho I didn’t complete the challenges in the main chapter yet

Maybe I should get back to slay the spire a bit, it’s been a long time

Also got a kit I’m building tomorrow. Build is easy. The 100 or so stickers on the other hand are brutal

oops, I accidentally stayed up until 1:30am playing Starfield. I haven't been up this late in a long time. Starfield didn't make the best first impression, but after playing for a few more hours tonight I can see this game eating up a ton of my time.

Having a little bitty cry over a video game again

who in the everlasting fuck decided to make Sea of Stars so damn good

it's not fair

I'm a Bleach Brave Souls-only gamer now, sorry to say.

Mario Wonder, save me

Replaying Fire Emblem (The Blazing Blade) reminded me how snappy the story telling can be older games, especially on handhelds. In the span of 1 hour, Lyn finds you hung over in a field, become best friends, discover that she's the true heir to a kingdom, and obtain a legendary sword.
Yeah. Especially Lyns story. Eliwood and Hector’s built up a bit more lol

And it’s funny to see the small dialogue changes going without Mark

i’m gonna need an “explain this joke to me like i’m five” here

why is xbox the titanic and playstation is the iceberg? why is nintendo portrayed on an old wooden sailing ship? why is phil on the xbox with a 2027 flag? i’m lost here.
Nintendo: low-power old fashioned games on a device that is both many years old and a few gens behind. it's also physically very small

Xbox: an extremely expensive and physically big endeavor in a difficult market that is very fragile, representing the folly of man. 2027 could be a destination at which point Phil expects to actually turn a profit

PlayStation: a force of nature, the unmovable brand that has accrued so many loyal fans that its own mass and inertia make it invulnerable. the obstacle of Xbox primarily due to Xbox's hubris: had they attacked it head-on with a direct competitor they would have been wounded but survived; instead they scraped along its side with the expensive unit and cheap crappy unit business model that devs hate, dooming the brand. also, the ps5 is physically very big, and like an iceberg it's bigger than anyone thinks until they see it in person

that's my analysis anyway

i’m gonna need an “explain this joke to me like i’m five” here

why is xbox the titanic and playstation is the iceberg? why is nintendo portrayed on an old wooden sailing ship? why is phil on the xbox with a 2027 flag? i’m lost here.
The 2027 thing is a reference to something Phil Spencer said during the FTC trial; something along the lines of Xbox needing to reach a certain number of Game Pass subscribers before 2027 or else Microsoft might abandon the gaming business.

The rest is probably something close to what @Raccoon said.

fair enough lol

swear I never heard that 2027 line though
your analysis was well put, I just thought it was funny because it reminded me of how I think about this stuff.
"man I'm kind of out of touch with the industry I only check the news once a day and listen to 1 1/2 news podcasts per week" nerdy ass mf (myself)

Nintendo: low-power old fashioned games on a device that is both many years old and a few gens behind. it's also physically very small

Xbox: an extremely expensive and physically big endeavor in a difficult market that is very fragile, representing the folly of man. 2027 could be a destination at which point Phil expects to actually turn a profit

PlayStation: a force of nature, the unmovable brand that has accrued so many loyal fans that its own mass and inertia make it invulnerable. the obstacle of Xbox primarily due to Xbox's hubris: had they attacked it head-on with a direct competitor they would have been wounded but survived; instead they scraped along its side with the expensive unit and cheap crappy unit business model that devs hate, dooming the brand. also, the ps5 is physically very big, and like an iceberg it's bigger than anyone thinks until they see it in person

that's my analysis anyway
this is thorough and well-reasoned

but i’m sure the artist had something much simpler and dumber in mind

I'm not that tuned in to industry news, I gave up following the ftc trial because it all seemed so ridiculous.
I pick up enough of the important news from this thread anyway (behind closed doors 2witch presentation for example) and y'all know as much if not more than the vast majority of gaming youtube, all without the obnoxious bullshit too.

since I work graveyards, I’m up early every day even on days off.

And today I saw a sale happening and bought Valkyria Elysium for 10 bucks and Octopath 2 on Ps5 for 29. Gonna need something to tie me over in Ps5 till Rebirth

I read all of @jirou 's posts imagining that they're written by this guy:

2789.jpg

and it's made reading this thread at least 20% better

I've only played 12 hours, which isn't much in an open world game, but I increasingly feel Starfield doesn't really deserve to get much mention in the game of the year conversation. It's not bad by any stretch, and I'll keep gradually chipping away at it because it's a decent enough time sink. But it absolutely is old fashioned and uneven. It feels behind the curve of 2015 RPGs like Witcher 3 (narrative, world building) and Xenoblade (scope, systems depth, general sci fi epic feel), never mind titles that have come along since (open world Zelda, Elden Ring, Baldur's Gate 3).

The fact it's a high profile console exclusive for Xbox that reviewed widely is absolutely going to see it remain in the conversation, but for me this is a good time sink and nothing more. I'm sure I'll find more to enjoy in it, but even if I kept playing for months, I'm not sure there's going to be a moment where I think 'wow, this is special', the way I did for most of my time playing open world Zelda.

I'll probably drop Starfield and my GamePass subscription once I've been able to play a few other things (Cocoon! Pentiment, maybe Hi Fi Rush) and once Baldur's Gate 3 is available on Xbox Series Plinky Plonk.

since I work graveyards, I’m up early every day even on days off.

And today I saw a sale happening and bought Valkyria Elysium for 10 bucks and Octopath 2 on Ps5 for 29. Gonna need something to tie me over in Ps5 till Rebirth

Where they are selling Elysium for $10?

I assume all users on social media are their avatars, and when evidence to the contrary is given I blank out those memories.
I'm the same which is also why I always think hologram and meatbag are the same person. One is a cat and the other used to be some cat-like critter so I keep confusing them...

Pictures like Raccoon's one right now makes it a little more tricky tho

dreamt about becoming emperor of famiboards and as my first decree i introduced community notes but then people used them to verbally kick my ass whenever i posted about wind waker

And I had a dream last night where I was on a boat in a large body of water going from island to island, might have been artificial islands, playing some kinda game. Think I was moving objects around on each island and I was trying to avoid someone. No clue what that was about, dreams are weird.

Yeah, I've been in kind of a slump lately myself. Gonna try to make time to play Pikmin 1 tomorrow, looking forward to finally going through the whole series.
Yeah, there are just times where you just don’t want to really play much of anything, even if you actually really like the game

I’ve only played Pikmin 3 myself. How would you say it compares to Pikmin 1? Thinking of eventually trying out the rest of the series if they’re not particularly long games

goodness, that means the OLED is two years old

and accordingly that we're about the same time from it as it was from the red box, and from red box to original

it's a shame that the hardware cadence was broken but at least the OLED, a very well-executed refinement of the switch, gets to live another year

it's very likely that switch 2 is going to be a downgrade in some or many respects, so I've come to appreciate this waiting time as being the life cycle of "the switch but good"

After dealing with being disoriented and a bad case of vertigo all day yesterday, I saw we have new mods. Congrats to the new team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom