• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST25 October 2023| Have a Wonderful Famiversary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for a self-own...
I'm planning me and my brother's trip to Tokyo, on two different occasions I see a place name appear and think "Oh yeah that place is in Persona 5R"

persona-fans-shocked.gif
I went to Odaiba and took photos of places that were in Digimon lol

(I'm literally rewatching the final episode of Digimon Adventure as I type this)

and I would gladly take the initiative to create those, should interest prevail.
I think it would make more sense to have these STs pop up more organically, i.e. guide users writing a long(er) LTTP-post (in here or elsewhere) to creating a thread like that instead?

As long as it can be their original write-up plus a fitting thread title without having to deliver some fancy images and such, there should be no issue imo.

Simply creating a bunch of these STs now does seem a bit unnecessary / like wasted energy to me. But maybe I misunderstood your intentions?

I think it would make more sense to have these STs pop up more organically, i.e. guide users writing a long(er) LTTP-post (in here or elsewhere) to creating a thread like that instead?

As long as it can be their original write-up plus a fitting thread title without having to deliver some fancy images and such, there should be no issue imo.

Simply creating a bunch of these STs now does seem a bit unnecessary / like wasted energy to me. But maybe I misunderstood your intentions?

It wouldn’t replace the thread tags and people are of course entitled to their own threads as well. It would just be a place for “hey, I was LTTP to Pikmin 3, here’s a longer-form thought piece” for those who wishes to type something out without wanting to make a full thread out of it.

Any more thoughts on this?
Hmm. I personally head to game-specific STs for my LTTP impressions (e.g 13 Sentinels recently) and I think that gets some decent activity. Sometimes I just post them in general discussion.

Not sure I’d regularly check a general LTTP thread.

It wouldn’t replace the thread tags and people are of course entitled to their own threads as well. It would just be a place for “hey, I was LTTP to Pikmin 3, here’s a longer-form thought piece” for those who wishes to type something out without wanting to make a full thread out of it.
Ah! I misunderstood your original intention, then, as I expected LTTP STs for every single game in question. Whoops. x)

I definitely like your idea, then! I'd appreciate it if you were to make threads like that for sure.

is anyone playing Detective Pikachu ? I know the game got really bad reviews, but I would also like to get impressions from my famifriends

There's some very creepy/sexist undertones (I guess they're more overtones really) in Judgment in regards to how it treats Saori. I cannot really put my finger on it but I feel like the Yakuza games (at least 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2) were less weird about this despite literally having a Cabaret Club minigame.

Last edited:
There's some very creepy/sexist undertones (I guess they're more overtones really) in Judgment in regards to how it treats Saori. I cannot really put my finger on it but I feel like the Yakuza games (at least 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2) were less weird about this despite literally having a Cabaret Club minigame.
It's dumb there and it just stinks they do it again in Lost Judgment.

After reading Site Feedback and Suggestions, I saw that there was a few post voicing how neat it would be with LTTP and RTTP ST's, and I would gladly take the initiative to create those, should interest prevail.

It would simply be threads where people can post impressions and reflections in the more longer-form way that these threads usually contain, and of course there will be room for people to comment each other's impressions and reflections.

I feel like this is a very cool idea as long as it encourages people to make their own LTTP and RTTP threads still which are sadly very rare on Fami and I know in general is going to be an odd balance to strike. We need more threads about people playing games so I'd love to see your thread :)

How Judgment treats Saori is pretty in line with most of the post-2 Yakuza games, unfortunately. I like the series but it really doesn't have a good track record in that regard.

7's a bit better then usual at least which hopefully means well for Gaiden/Infinite Wealth, but Lost Judgment doubles down on the Saori stuff despite arguably making her the deuteragonist so who knows.

It's dumb there and it just stinks they do it again in Lost Judgment.
oh no...
How Judgment treats Saori is pretty in line with most of the post-2 Yakuza games, unfortunately. I like the series but it really doesn't have a good track record in that regard.

7's a bit better then usual at least which hopefully means well for Gaiden/Infinite Wealth, but Lost Judgment doubles down on the Saori stuff despite arguably making her the deuteragonist so who knows.
I think what pushes it over the edge for me is how Yagami seems to (jokingly) revel in this with his creepy commentary
like when they set up the "honey trap" for Kido and he talks about Saori "enjoying" it.
My memory of the later Yakuza games is quite hazy and I also haven't finished all of them but I don't remember Kiryu ever being like this.

It’s baaaccckkkkk
1696473039517638.jpg

Also I’m annoyed. Sigh, my glass files(for model kit stuff) have now been missing in the mail for a month. And amazon has annoyingly changed their options. Whether I do a refund or replacement they expect me to return the original if it does appear. And Well that’s BS they’ll charge you now if the original shows up and you don’t return it. It’s especially a pain cause it could reappear in like 5 months, which is an issue right now cause I have a move approaching. I also still need the files now. Sigh

IGN gave it a 6, but this video review actually does a good job of selling me on the game. It looks cute!

Zelda, when I was a baby child: "Save the princess as Link, a courageous hero who will do anything to protect the Kingdom of Hyrule. Use a mythical blade to banish evil for good!"

Zelda, when I'm a man child:

Zelda, when I was a baby child: "Save the princess as Link, a courageous hero who will do anything to protect the Kingdom of Hyrule. Use a mythical blade to banish evil for good!"

I kinda sorta understand what people mean with "This isn't Zelda anymore" when I'm saving Hyrule by gluing a korok's backpack to a car equipped with seventeen cannons wearing a barbarian's armor, silk shorts and a mushroom hat.

I kinda sorta understand what people mean with "This isn't Zelda anymore" when I'm saving Hyrule by gluing a korok's backpack to a car equipped with seventeen cannons wearing a barbarian's armor, silk shorts and a mushroom hat.
I definitely kinda sorta understand.

Buuuuut...

it's amazing to me that nintendo made banjo kazooie nuts and bolts and everybody thought it was the greatest game ever made
I still remember when I memed Tears of the Kingdom, someone replied "HOW CAN YOU MEME ONE OF THE MOST INNOVATIVE GAMES OF ALL TIME", and I just replied with Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts.

They proceeded to get ratio'd.

is anyone playing Detective Pikachu ? I know the game got really bad reviews, but I would also like to get impressions from my famifriends
I played only for a little bit yesterday, so I am extremely early. My immediate impressions from what I've seen so far are that the game is lackluster in terms of presentation (graphically and general production values in animations/cutscenes) and would be approachable for kids in terms of gameplay and difficulty. I'm going to keep playing. My hope is that the writing will keep me interested and the gameplay/puzzles will feel less basic once I'm out of the tutorial. I think both are possible. I can provide more thoughts once I get further if you still have an interest.

After reading Site Feedback and Suggestions, I saw that there was a few post voicing how neat it would be with LTTP and RTTP ST's, and I would gladly take the initiative to create those, should interest prevail.

It would simply be threads where people can post impressions and reflections in the more longer-form way that these threads usually contain, and of course there will be room for people to comment each other's impressions and reflections.

I immediately thought I'd get a lot of use out of a LTTP thread, as I tend to get my games through discount-hunting and secondhand sources, and I tend to be wary of dumping in threads about this awesome game I'm playing through that everyone else probably already played a year or more ago.

BUT I'm also seeing in Site Feedback some desire that this very thread be a bit more welcoming to game discussion, so maybe I should be talking more about my LTTP stuff here? I dunno.

Also I do feel like it'd be better than having multiple single LTTP threads pop up when one person plays an old game. Having a more communal thread for that might be warmer and fuzzier. But while I'm not totally sure whether or not we should have a dedicated LTTP thread, what I can say is if there is one I'd probably use it.

you present this as though it’s a good thing 😞
For better and for worse! I would love to see another traditional Zelda, but I'm happy to roll with the open format for as long as it lasts.
I think my issues with TotK will soften if we get more top-down Zeldas, the same way my issues with Prime softened once we got Dread and my issues with Xenoblade X softened once we got Xenoblade 2. "The new thing not being enough like the old thing" feeling tends to be placated when they give me an alternative that's closer to the old thing, and it really helps me appreciate the new thing more. 😅

I know this is a me issue but still

I played only for a little bit yesterday, so I am extremely early. My immediate impressions from what I've seen so far are that the game is lackluster in terms of presentation (graphically and general production values in animations/cutscenes) and would be approachable for kids in terms of gameplay and difficulty. I'm going to keep playing. My hope is that the writing will keep me interested and the gameplay/puzzles will feel less basic once I'm out of the tutorial. I think both are possible. I can provide more thoughts once I get further if you still have an interest.
Thanks for your first impressions! I'd love to read your thoughts on the game once you get further, especially the writing. I guess the game is aimed at kids but I hope that's not an excuse to give them bad writing and puzzles.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is pretty damn fun so far. Genuinely has better combat than a lot of other modern first person shooters.

This went incredibly well with me listening to "Killer Klowns From Outer Space" by The Dickies.

I think it would be a great idea! I think perhaps the reason we haven't had more of those threads here is that few people are aware of what LTTP/RTTP stand for outside of the old guard (unless it was just me horribly oblivious because it took me like six years to figure it out from context and too shy to ask lol)

A general ST that can explain the terminology and give a rough idea of how much thought should go into these impressions, and as that general thread grows we can still allow game-dedicated LTTP/RTTP threads that have a lot more thoughts to outline. Some of my favourite threads were to read ongoing impressions as people played through the game and posted their thoughts after every milestone achievement in the story.

I know my first RTTP game will be Alan Wake when I eventually start it up later this month for my spooky games haha

I think it would be a great idea! I think perhaps the reason we haven't had more of those threads here is that few people are aware of what LTTP/RTTP stand for outside of the old guard (unless it was just me horribly oblivious because it took me like six years to figure it out from context and too shy to ask lol)
I spent a lot of time thinking people were talking about Link to the Past whenever they'd say LTTP 😅

:trashpeek: I've been playing it and having a good time! I'll need to hand in my gamer card because I actually think the visuals are fine lol they suit the game that it is. Have you played the original? So far it's been very in step with that so if you have you would know what you're getting. If not they are basically very light adventure games where you go around investigating environments and scenarios to put together the current mystery of a particular scene or event. There is some very light solving, QTEs, back and forth character interrogations but it's almost better to think of these as interactive VNs with the kind of pacing and linearity going on. It's basically just a chill way to experience a story in the pokemon world. But yeah, I'm pleased so far! In terms of the discourse about the game being better for children, I would say they are absolutely accessible for kids to play and that's a great thing but it comes down to viewpoint on whether that means it isn't as well suited for all ages or if it's specifically aimed at children, I think it's better described as an all ages thing, the last one kept me interested all the way to the end plot wise.

Why did I dream of a James Pond game with the subtitle "Licence to Krill"? What happened to me before my nap to generate this madness?

I've got to say, Detective Pikachu Returns gives off huge "intended 2021 release" vibes. In the three chapters I've played so far, there has been not a single Paldean Pokémon, but 2/3 of the Galarian starter lines have been represented.

Sea of Stars' save menu says I have 29 hours of playtime. My Switch's play activity says I have over 35 hours of playtime.

Have I really sat vibing on the menu and/or dying that much? 😅

Send help. Since starting FE: Three Houses on Monday I haven't skipped a day, and three of these days (including today) it's all I have played. It has that same gameplay loop that sucked me into Stardew Valley and Persona 5 Royal. Just one more day. One more lecture, one more battle, one more exploration of the monastery, etc.

The green of the mod tag matches your username and avatar pretty well.

See you in the review threads. (when things inevitably get heated and you have to start handing out feedback and / or bans)
This is what we call foreshadowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom