• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST28 January 2024| This Is Our Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngpdrew

From the Rafters
Pronouns
He/Him
As I gaze out the window of my childhood bedroom, I can’t help but reflect on all of the times this industry disappointed me in my youth: I’ve been ghosted by Starcraft Ghost, bored by Spore, and said “pee yoo” to the Wii U. I’ve played games that only seemed interested in my money, and I’ve played the mini-game in Kingdom Hearts where Sora helps grab Pooh’s Hunny. I’ve said hello to exciting new franchises only to say goodbye to them far too soon.

I also bought an e-Reader.

GameBoyAdvance-with-eReader.jpg

But you know what? This year? All of that changes. This year? Disappointment will be put to rest. This year? The thing that has been eluding us for what feels like an eternity will escape our grasps no more. This year? The pages and pages of speculation, rumors, and endearingly pedantic arguments will cease to be necessary. Our hands will reach out and will be grabbed in return by the palms of a higher power longing to usher us into a new era of prosperity, eager to whisper in our ears that our milk and honey saturated dreams are about to come true.

This year? We will all play Hollow Knight: Silksong.

This year? This is Our Year.

Why are we here?

In the past, the Nintendo General Discussion was a place where users could commiserate about the lack of Hollow Knight: Silksong in their lives. People also sometimes used it to share memes, pictures of horses, or stories about anime characters from anime games I’ve never played.

This year? The Nintendo General Discussion is the place where users can celebrate the abundance of Hollow Knight: Silksong. They will probably continue to use it to talk about the aforementioned sordid topics, but that’s a small price to pay for living in the best timeline.

What if I don’t care about Hollow Knight: Silksong?

To each their own, or something like that. And luckily, since this is Our Year (TM), there are plenty of eaches for our owns!

Here are just a couple of choice selections you can definitely look forward to this year:

SI_GCN_FZeroGX_image1600w.jpg

F-Zero GX Remake/Remaster/Remakester- F-Zero 99 was but an appetizer for the course awaiting us this year. After sitting on this franchise for far too long, Nintendo is going to unleash this beloved classic on the world one more time. It just makes sense, right? It doesn’t require much work because it’s already so damn perfect, so a sudden reappearance just feels like a formality.

3838218-8282952615-339045.jpeg

Metroid Prime 4 - Say the line! Yeah! You trust that process. This is definitely happening. Remember? Our year! 2017 was, uh, seven years ago! That other announcement was five years ago! The finish line has to be in sight.

587a35d1ee14b63e338b6aff

Mario will star as the main character in a brand new (3D) game (temp.) - Super Mario Odyssey was a smash hit, and it didn’t even need the existence of a Hollywood movie to bolster its bottom line. A new 3D Mario has to be on the horizon! And if a new 3D Mario has to be on the horizon, then I know something else that does, too…

nintendo-switch-accessories-2-1654810988577.jpg

New Super Nintendo Switch U Deluxe: New Play Controls! - Our year! Our year! Come on, folks! Have you seen the announced lineup? This is definitely going to happen. We’ll be playing Silksong on our next generation Nintendo hardware, grinning ear to ear as we remember all of the good times we had in the Future Hardware Discussion and Speculation ST.

Mother-3.jpg

Mother 3 - Well, why the heck not? Please don't reply.

all-chrono-trigger-characters-and-how-to-get-them-890x606.jpg

Chrono Break - Have you ever seen a hedgehog cry? @chocolate_supra, this is Your Year, too!

LTY_stAnneCoop_FINAL_1920x1080-a335c9699f200d164ccd.jpg

Skull and Bones - Oh, come on. Don’t be silly! My bit doesn’t work without some amount of suspension of disbelief. We all know this game is never going to – what? For real?

Notable January Releases
poplost-1686266412433.jpg

Ubisoft original? Is that a threat?

What are we going to do while destiny unfolds before our eyes in 2024? Well, these January releases aren’t a bad start!

• The Prince returns in Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown! You might remember the Prince from such games as Prince of Persia (2008) and Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands. I’m just kidding; nobody remembers that last game! It was kind of good, though. This looks kind of better!
  • Another Code: Recollection is Another Chance for dopes like me to pick up these beloved visual novels that we missed out on during the DS era.
  • The Last of Us Part II Remastered may just be a glorified patch, but it is still a welcome opportunity to pick up one of 2020’s most celebrated releases.
  • The other Phoenix Wright games get a chance to shine in Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, a reminder to the author that he needs to go back to the original trilogy that he put down because the bonus chapter in the first game made him feel stupid.
  • Like a Dragon: infinite Wealth promises to be the best thing since Subway started mailing sneaky good coupons.
  • Tekken 8 is here! I have nothing to say about Tekken 8; I didn't even know it was coming out! I’m glad to know that some souls still burn for 3D fighters.

Community Question
I have only a simple question for you now, with more to come later (maybe): What aspect of Our Year are you most eagerly anticipating? It's going to be a great year for everyone, so I want to hear from everyone, even those who voted for tea over coffee.

General Discussions of Not Our Years' Past

|ST Oct 2021| by @mazi
|ST2 Nov 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or… by @Derachi
|ST3 Dec 2021| Topical Threes by @Suswave
|ST4 Jan 2022| Resurrections by @Skittzo
|ST5 Feb 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3 by @Dardan Sandiego
|ST6 Mar 2022| Marchful Mode by @EvilChameleon
|ST7 Apr 2022| Launch Timing Update For ST7 Sequel by @EvilChameleon
|ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8 by @Barely Able
|ST9 June 2022| This is Miyamoto. Have a fun summer! by @Irene
|ST10 July 2022| Julyve A Live by @Plum
|ST11 Aug 2022| Everybody’s 11-12 Discussion Thread by @Legion of Primes
|ST12 Sept 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03 by @xghost777
|ST13 Oct 2022| Our First Famiversary! by @hologram
|ST14 Nov 2022| Comfy And Easy To Wear by @bellydrum
|ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami by @Red Monster
|ST16 Jan 2023| Team Famuary Stays Winning by @chocolate_supra
|ST17 Feb 2023| Octopath Traveling II Directland Deluxe by @SammyJ9
|ST18 March 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month by @Brofield
|ST19 April 2023| A tradition unlike any other by @Josh5890
|ST20 May 2023| Every Teardrop is a Waterfall by @Irene
|ST21 June 2023| Welcome to Famipark! by @Party Sklar
|ST22 July 2023| PIKMINVASION by @famicorpse
|ST23 August 2023| Things Get WEIRD by @shoptroll
|ST24 September 2023| Barely Able Will Star as the Main Poster in a Brand New ST (temp.) by @Barely Able
|ST25 October 2023| Have a Wonderful Famiversary! by @VolcanicDynamo
|ST26 November 2023| The Man Who Erased His Moves by @Derachi
|ST27 December 2023| Have a Cuppa with Your Fami by @MissingNo.

Upcoming Celebrations of Our Year
|ST29 February 2024| by @Suswave
|ST30 March 2024| by @Raccoon

|ST3X Unknown 2024| by @Aurc (reserved for the Month of Metroid – #TrustTheProcess #ThisIsOurYear)

Last edited:
Really pulling for the Hollow Knight fans -- not one myself but I'm starting to wince every time Silksong is absent from another Direct. I keep putting it on the gc Direct bingo cards in the hopes that one day it'll appear...

Looking forward to FE4R the most this year, and of course the new hardware announcement/launch! Other than that a few shows I've been waiting for start filming/come out the first half of the year (Not Dead Yet S2, School Spirits S2, The Bear S3, Bridgerton S3) so looking forward to that!

Nobody remebers Mysterium but it lives in my head as a classic that awakened my love for first person dungeon crawlers:

Screenshot-20231231-213229-837.png

Edit: lmao new thread! Didn't realize! Thank you @ngpdrew !

Hey, new thread! Still a good bit of time before 2024 around here, but this is gonna be a good one. Looking forward to all the Switch 2 madness to come!

Still good ol' 2023 on my side, but just for a couple of hours, so I'm going to take advantage of the new thread (before I forget: great ST, @ngpdrew!) to wish everyone a happy and prosperous 2024! This forum has some of my favorite people on the entire internet (I know sometimes that feels like a really low bar, but you know...) and I'm really looking forward to spending time here next year talking about everything and nothing.

Awful 2023 for me.

Here’s to a good 2024. I think 2024 is gonna be a good year. There parts of my life I’ve looking forward to see where I end up at the end of it.

Happy New Year to all of you!

I'll be off the site until 2024 from here on out, so here's to a great new year already. See you on the other side!

Still more than 2 hours to go here, but happy new year in advance.

Ah, new year smell.

May 2024 be even more of a Mario Year than 2023! I see you, incoming Nintendo system! A new 3D Mario would be very nice.

y’all are early

…and so am I! wasn’t gonna be back ‘til February but the winds have changed

and also I realized yelling about real shit is worse for my mental health than yelling about fake shit

maladaptive tidings for a fucky 2024!

stares in through the window, waiting for 2024
eOLZD2A.png

it's okay, this joke is about myself

y’all are early

…and so am I! wasn’t gonna be back ‘til February but the winds have changed

and also I realized yelling about real shit is worse for my mental health than yelling about fake shit

maladaptive tidings for a fucky 2024!
Ah, I see my attempt to summon you back actually worked

Nice ST! Here's to your predictions coming true :D

Now will 2024 have some Metroid Prime 4 us, or will it be full of Metroid Dread?

I hope Nintendo will bring some crazy crossovers the coming years. Let's be real, a Alien X Metroid crossover is long overdue 😀

Greetings, fair tidings, new thread smell, and so help me 2023 may have come at me with a broken beer bottle in shaky hands, but now it is I who is standing in my underwear ready to grapple with a new year (unless it gives me vertigo again, in which case I am ready to keel over and die)

@MissingNo. you did a damn fine job steering ST27, and may coffee reign supreme forevermore

@ngpdrew looking forward to the shenanigans that will ensue! I will once again maintain hope for the Gamecube renaissance continuing in greater force than ever before. Custom Robo, Chibi Robo, Starfox Adventures, Starfox Assault, Pokemon Colosseum, Pokemon XD, Luigi's Mansion, Odama, Twilight Princess, Windwaker, and then other third parties getting on board with the plan like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2: Battle, Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, SSX Tricky, Soul Calibur II HD Deluxe, Worms 3D, and TimeSplitters

Mmmm that new thread smell! 😁 Great work @ngpdrew!

I also bought an e-Reader.
Hey, don’t knock that silly little device. You were living cutting edge in an era before digital distribution. It’s a shame Nintendo absolutely crippled the potential of it outside of America.

Mother 3 - Well, why the heck not? Please don't reply.
Don’t do this to me.

That said… finally playing through the game again (in English this time) is on my list of things to do this year. It is time.

What aspect of Our Year are you most eagerly anticipating?
I am seriously looking forward to seeing this community response to the new hardware and Directs this year. This is a pivotal year for this community and it’s going to be one hell of a ride.

This is the year we finally get a new Donkey Kong game.
bTTml57.jpeg

Also, Tea vs Coffee ended in a tie, all is well in the world.
Good. I was really concerned we’d have another community split over that 😅

I hope Nintendo will bring some crazy crossovers the coming years. Let's be real, a Alien X Metroid crossover is long overdue 😀
I’d settle for a Contra x Metroid if Disney won’t play ball

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom