• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST28 January 2024| This Is Our Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the worst fusion since Nina and Alexander in FMA.
1c1e179b369784cb579c7f73a5686ec2e4f7fcf5_hq.jpg

I really don't understand Seinfeld. Where is the humour?
It's like the purest form of "situation comedy." In typical sitcoms the situations are relatively normal and then the humor comes from the cast basically joking their way through the situation. In Seinfeld there's no "jokes" in the typical sense, the humor is in how stupid the situations themselves are and how absurd the cast's reactions are, and the punchlines are the situations coming to a head where the characters either get comeuppance or the situation collapses under the weight of the dumb.

Also I think it was rather relatable to that generation. Like "these are terrible people you might actually run into, dealing with the stuff you deal with but badly." It's basically observational comedy acted out. It was actually conceived by Seinfeld and Larry David as "how an observational comic gets his material," where each episode would begin and end with Jerry doing stand-up material about the ridiculous shit that happened to him (Seinfeld himself famously hated that people began saying it was "a show about nothing," because it was about that), and eventually the show outgrew that framing and ran on the momentum of its own character types and bullshit situations once they had their own kind of world built out.

tl;dr: it was Gen-X cringe humor before "cringe humor" was a thing.

Also Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Jason Alexander are fantastic in it, which helps the appeal a lot. For the people it does appeal to, anyway. 😅

i just started it like today. so far its hard to imagine the powers and how they’re used, although i’m sure it’ll get explained the further i get into it
Yeah, it definitely gets easier to understand later on. But when I started the sequel series I had to remember how everything worked lol.

1c1e179b369784cb579c7f73a5686ec2e4f7fcf5_hq.jpg

It's like the purest form of "situation comedy." In typical sitcoms the situations are relatively normal and then the humor comes from the cast basically joking their way through the situation. In Seinfeld there's no "jokes" in the typical sense, the humor is in how stupid the situations themselves are and how absurd the cast's reactions are, and the punchlines are the situations coming to a head where the characters either get comeuppance or the situation collapses under the weight of the dumb.

Also I think it was rather relatable to that generation. Like "these are terrible people you might actually run into, dealing with the stuff you deal with but badly." It's basically observational comedy acted out. It was actually conceived by Seinfeld and Larry David as "how an observational comic gets his material," where each episode would begin and end with Jerry doing stand-up material about the ridiculous shit that happened to him (Seinfeld himself famously hated that people began saying it was "a show about nothing," because it was about that), and eventually the show outgrew that framing and ran on the momentum of its own character types and bullshit situations once they had their own kind of world built out.

tl;dr: it was Gen-X cringe humor before "cringe humor" was a thing.

Also Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Jason Alexander are fantastic in it, which helps the appeal a lot. For the people it does appeal to, anyway. 😅
Cool cool, don't wanna dunk on it since loads of people seem to love it, I guess it just flies o er my head maybe.

Nintendo Taiwan announced that Momotaro Dentetsu World will be playable in the upcoming Taipei Game Show. It probably implies that the title has been localized to Chinese. Would the English localization follow? (source)

Took advantage of the PS holiday sale to buy the console edition of Planet Coaster, and wow, Frontier really did a terrific job at adapting the controls for consoles. That’s now my #1 pick for a Switch 2 port, would be awesome to be able to play that on the go.

Nintendo Taiwan announced that Momotaro Dentetsu World will be playable in the upcoming Taipei Game Show. It probably implies that the title has been localized to Chinese. Would the English localization follow? (source)
I hope so, but also even them must know that there’s zero market for Momotaro Dentetsu in the west

Cool cool, don't wanna dunk on it since loads of people seem to love it, I guess it just flies o er my head maybe.
yeah no worries at all, I'm the same way with Friends and The Office. They just don't click with me at all. And the extreme popularity of them only serves to enhance my bafflement. 🤣 But I think it's part taste and part timing.

That's actually another thing about Seinfeld: the timing. It came out during a time where sitcoms practically had to be about middle (or upper-middle) class suburban families, and the situations and jokes revolved around sorta squeaky-clean, church-acceptable, things-that-family-people-do. The fact that Seinfeld was suddenly this sitcom that took place in the city and followed four unmarried 30-somethings with terrible judgement bumbling their way through some (for the time) racy situations, there was very little like it at the time. There are some subjects in some episodes where the characters can't even say the words for what they're talking about, and you'll see them awkwardly dance around saying the words but you know what they're talking about and the audience will absolutely erupt because omg you're not supposed to talk about those things. Studios were trying to steer visible culture in a way where "you can't do that on television" was a thing you'd often unironically hear, and Seinfeld was almost a cathartic "oh shit but they are doing it" sort of thing. And I think it paved the way for 90s shows to have more racy humor, to have more urban settings, to break away from the Growing Pains formula.

That and the total absurdity made it just so totally unique at the time. And I really cannot stress enough how much the cast elevates the whole thing. Not just the main four, but for example George Costanza's parents (Jerry Stiller and Estelle Harris) are fucking iconic characters, and their performances knock it out of the park every time. Jerry Stiller and Julia Louis-Dreyfus doing the "you wanna piece of me??" scene is one of my favorite episode endings of all time. It's so dumb! But the actors perform the hell out of it. So many of the side characters are absolute gold because they just Scott Pilgrim'ed the shit outta that cast.

Anyway I'll stop gushing about Seinfeld now, sorry. 😅 I'll try to keep it confined to the Metroid thread.

has anyone read the mistborn novels?
Those are great! The magic system is so well constructed, to the point that the specifics of said system is used as the backbone for several plot twists.

Regarding sitcoms, I like Seinfeld, Friends and The Office. They're all pretty funny to me.

i just started it like today. so far its hard to imagine the powers and how they’re used, although i’m sure it’ll get explained the further i get into it
It’ll get easier as you go. Sanderson’s whole thing is making very mechanical and rules-based magic systems. You might not know exactly what the rules are for a while, but they are there.

I can't decide if the idea of Sargon in Smash is appealing to me or not. On the one hand, Rayman getting snubbed again would really make me sad... on the other hand, the prospect of another "anime Swordsman" making Smash fans mad would be very funny.

Talking about Seinfeld, it came to my attention that Prime Video has now added Northern Exposure, another 90s af show, to their lineup. Between this and their (relatively recent) addition of Picket Fences, I think I’m set for a while as far as (90s) stuff to (re)watch goes.

Decided to revisit Monster Hunter Rise for the first time since the final update monster, and holy moly it's still some of the most fun I've ever had on Switch.
It's nice to see that the player base remains healthy too; I had no trouble finding plenty of folks to hunt with.

Today marks 35 years since curl-6 arrived to planet Earth; feeling a little ancient now I'm halfway through my 30s, but then I think of all that's happened since they started, like finding the love of my life, moving in with her, beating cancer, and traveling to Japan. It wasn't always a walk in the park, but the last 5 years have changed me for the better, and I hope the rest of my thirties continue to do so.

There's cold cocaine falling from the sky? I'm not sure if I should be scared and I don't know what to do. I think I've seen this in videogames before. If I just keep eating spicy food every 5 minutes, it should be safe for me to go outside, right?

There's cold cocaine falling from the sky? I'm not sure if I should be scared and I don't know what to do. I think I've seen this in videogames before. If I just keep eating spicy food every 5 minutes, it should be safe for me to go outside, right?
Yes.

And stay away from any bears.

If TTYD HD comes out in April, I'm throwing this out into the universe:

NGD |ST31| Rolling Papers

ANYHOOBS

Kickstarter for fans of SSX Tricky and 1080 Snowboarding. Who knows if either series will ever come back, but until then this looks like it's gonna scratch that itch wonderfully

Ugh, sucks when FedEx lies about your package being out for delivery. I get it the storm last week caused backlog. But at least be honest about it

I still haven't watched S4 because it wasn't on Netflix (not sure if it's there now. edit: no, all my apes fargos gone. fargo fuck yourself, ted sarandos) but I loved S1-3.
The entire series is on Hulu through their deal with FX, if that's available in your area
(well the entire series except for the final episode of this season which isn't out yet but still, by the time you catch up... 😅)

Maybe once they merge it with Disney+…
LOL Fargo on Disney+ 🤣

okay so I did some googling and it looks like there's an app called FXNOW where FX streams their stuff outside the States. They say it's free as long as you have a tv provider that carries FX. Otherwise yeah, it's possible it might come to D+ as I've heard a lot of Hulu shows (even the M-rated stuff) has already started to pop up there in non-US regions.

LOL Fargo on Disney+ 🤣

okay so I did some googling and it looks like there's an app called FXNOW where FX streams their stuff outside the States. They say it's free as long as you have a tv provider that carries FX. Otherwise yeah, it's possible it might come to D+ as I've heard a lot of Hulu shows (even the M-rated stuff) has already started to pop up there in non-US regions.
Ah, I forgot that Star is only a thing outside of the US. It's where they have the more non-family stuff including FX shows like The Bear or Justified. But no Fargo (yet?). FXNOW is sadly not available for me.

Looking forward to the Elden Ring DLC so I can start a new save, get a third way in until they announce the new DLC for 2025 and start another save for that.

I haven't been super active with it, but I rolled a new game for my Exploring NSO Project: Here!. I've never heard anything about this game, so I'm interested if anyone knows anything about it haha.

ANYHOOBS

Kickstarter for fans of SSX Tricky and 1080 Snowboarding. Who knows if either series will ever come back, but until then this looks like it's gonna scratch that itch wonderfully

Oh, hey, I have begged for snowboarding on this very forum.

Discussion Question #3: A Second, Third, or Even Fourth Coming in This, Our Year
Discussion Question #3

Good morning, Fam(i)! In just two short days, one of my most treasured franchises will return when Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown wall runs to store shelves. Prince of Persia is a series that has died several deaths yet somehow always turns back the clock to try again. Even Jerry Bruckheimer couldn’t prop the Prince up for more than a single year before he disappeared back into the Sands of Time.

So, the question: What revival would make this year certifiably YOUR year?

Alternatively, if you’re understandably chill with IP dying a natural death, then what dormant franchise that you love should absolutely stay that way? OR what current franchise do you want to walk headfirst into a grave near you?

Despite my love for Prince of Persia (and my excitement for its return), I’m more than okay with letting sleeping dogs lie (even Sleeping Dogs!). One of the most beloved series from my youth is Banjo-Kazooie, and every year a new rumor surfaces that some team at Microsoft has been tasked with making Bear and Bird grunt anew. When last we saw Banjo and Kazooie, they were driving custom vehicles in Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, which I hated! It was certifiably not Banjo, and the IP did more harm than good to what is a fundamentally solid concept for a game (as seen in The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom). Any new game in the series would be like that, a new concept burdened with the baggage of a series with one good game to its credit, or a sad reminder that the team behind Banjo-Kazooie is never coming back…except for the time that they did and made a kind of okay chimera of the two canonical Banjo-Kazooie games.

@chocolate_supra, we already know your answer, so feel free to respond or just invent your own topic! Like, uh, how do you feel about Tuesdays? Bottom-tier day, yeah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom