• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST28 January 2024| This Is Our Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
beeg saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame
Just feels like there's no good way to be excited about it.

If you hope for anything but the Switch 2 being revealed on December 31st at 11:59pm in 2026, then you feel like an idiot. The legions of people who, at any hint of any possible excitement, come out to make fun of it and go "lol nothing is ever happening you nerds," only make it worse.

Idk I just feel a bit shit and all the constant fighting and snark going on over the Switch 2 gets to me sometimes. Just wish Nintendo would reveal the damn thing already. But, then again, expecting anything before the absolute last possible minute marks you as an idiot, so who tf knows.

Second Discussion Question: New Year Successes
New Discussion Question Incoming...

Howdy, everyone! The new year is one week old and, according to the first result on Google, a quarter of you have already abandoned your resolutions. Congratulations to the other three quarters of you, I guess? Some of you won't make it past January, though...

Anyways, let's keep things a little more positive! At some point, I'm sure you did fulfill one of your goals for the new year. Maybe it was a big personal achievement, or maybe it was a small one related to playing talking about video games on the Internet. Either way, success is success!

So, the question is this: What was the most successful resolution of your life? It could be something big or something silly. All answers are welcome as all successes are worth celebrating!

For me, my most successful resolution had to do with a popular one: Weight! In high school, I was much larger than was healthy for a person in my condition with my genetics. There was no biological reason for me to weigh as much as I did; I just ate way too much garbage and drank way too many sodas. One year, I made a resolution to lose a respectable amount of weight. Granted, I made that resolution a lot, but this time it actually panned out. I ditched all sodas, even diet sodas, and lost 20-30 pounds.

Of course, that was years ago and I've gone backwards in some ways (having kids will do things to you...), but I still look back on that year as a time when I made a healthy change that had a notably positive impact on my life.

If you hope for anything but the Switch 2 being revealed on December 31st at 11:59pm in 2026, then you feel like an idiot. The legions of people who, at any hint of any possible excitement, come out to make fun of it and go "lol nothing is ever happening you nerds," only make it worse.

Idk I just feel a bit shit and all the constant fighting and snark going on over the Switch 2 gets to me sometimes. Just wish Nintendo would reveal the damn thing already. But, then again, expecting anything before the absolute last possible minute marks you as an idiot, so who tf knows.
It's totally cool and normal to be excited about things, don't let people take that away from you. Everyone has their own way of expressing excitement and while I don't fully understand the level of excitement that already exists for the new hardware, I know that my time to get really excited will come eventually.

This whole thing feels dragged out probably because the rumor mill got word of this thing incredibly early and/or there was at least one version of it that got thrown in the trash bin along the way. Which is perfectly normal for product development. Like, people were swearing up and down that last year was THE year, just as others had sworn that it was coming in 2022. It gets exhausting after a while.

beeg BEEG saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

It's tiring. Heard it from within my own friend groups when I was excited about various rumours about a new Switch console coming out. Was told it's too early in 2022/2023, and doesn't make any sense, that PS4 Pro or Xbox One X don't count, that I'm a fool (in less kind terms). Yes, I will take the L on expecting it in years past, but it's even more foolhardy to believe that Nintendo is sitting on its laurels doing absolutely nothing.

Much like Direct speculation, I too wish it were revealed just to move topics forward. The cyclical discussion points are a flat circle, the arguing more inane than ever, and it is unfortunate that by the time the reveal does take place, it will be more of an exhausted sigh of "Finally," than any actual excitement, and that does make me sad that I can't even feign enjoyment from a hobby I otherwise want to enjoy.

There may not be an easy solution to dealing with it, but just like there are those so easy to sneer upon others, know that you are not alone in being among people who are genuinely excited for new hardware, and dare to have expectations prior to December 31st at 11:58pm in 2026.

So, the question is this: What was the most successful resolution of your life? It could be something big or something silly. All answers are welcome as all successes are worth celebrating!
Probably three years ago in 2021 where I finally decided to crack down on my sugary drink... drinkage. Didn't have any on back to back days, and tried my best to go at least 2 or 3 days between them.

And then in 2022 and 2023 I threw all that progress away. 😅 Giving it another go this year though!

It's totally cool and normal to be excited about things, don't let people take that away from you. Everyone has their own way of expressing excitement and while I don't fully understand the level of excitement that already exists for the new hardware, I know that my time to get really excited will come eventually.

This whole thing feels dragged out probably because the rumor mill got word of this thing incredibly early and/or there was at least one version of it that got thrown in the trash bin along the way. Which is perfectly normal for product development. Like, people were swearing up and down that last year was THE year, just as others had sworn that it was coming in 2022. It gets exhausting after a while.
Honestly it’s less excitement for me and just a slight hope that this damn thing isn’t revealed at the absolute last possible nanosecond. Which, frankly, is what I expect to happen. Nintendo ain’t going to surprise us with anything regarding the Switch 2, especially not its reveal date.

And I think that whole Switch Pro thing really fucked things up. Cause it’s essentially made it so that ‘a more powerful Switch’ has been a major force for discussion, fighting, and snark for half the Switch’s lifespan. All after a massive L people had to take that branded you a naive idiot for ever having believed in a Pro instead of the slight iteration that was the OLED model. Shit’s exhausting, especially when folks on the internet will always, always spend no time letting you know how stupid you are for believing in things that don’t exist right in front of your eyes.

Any which way, any of the cool announcements regarding the Switch 2 will be leaked by Pyoro or someone anyways. So it’s not like we can really be excited about that either. Idk.

If you can’t tell I’m not in a good mood lol. Apologies for venting a bit.

Join us in posting song lyrics from the 80's.

I just posted Weird Al lyrics in the hardware thread if that helps
not 80s ones though

Howdy, everyone! The new year is one week old and, according to the first result on Google, a quarter of you have already abandoned your resolutions. Congratulations to the other three quarters of you, I guess? Some of you won't make it past January, though...

Anyways, let's keep things a little more positive! At some point, I'm sure you did fulfill one of your goals for the new year. Maybe it was a big personal achievement, or maybe it was a small one related to playing talking about video games on the Internet. Either way, success is success!

For me, my most successful resolution had to do with a popular one: Weight! In high school, I was much larger than was healthy for a person in my condition with my genetics. There was no biological reason for me to weigh as much as I did; I just ate way too much garbage and drank way too many sodas. One year, I made a resolution to lose a respectable amount of weight. Granted, I made that resolution a lot, but this time it actually panned out. I ditched all sodas, even diet sodas, and lost 20-30 pounds.

Of course, that was years ago and I've gone backwards in some ways (having kids will do things to you...), but I still look back on that year as a time when I made a healthy change that had a notably positive impact on my life.
Growing sideburns in 2006 (I've never once chose a resolution I was successful at prior, so by god the bar was so low it was below ground to simply ask a barber not to shave my cheeks when I was 14 and I'll take that win to the grave).

Semi-real resolutions, my two successes in recent years was completing 12 books in 12 months in 2022 (major accomplishment for me after post secondary killed my love of reading 10+ years ago), and in 2023 making a lil impulse purchase list in my Notes app so that way I could cut back on my spending, and if four weeks after finding something I would have bought on a whim I still wanted, I was able to budget it properly. Keeping up with both this year and doing more with budgeting and aiming for 24 books this year. I'll save the health-related resolutions for April.

I got a text from one of those wrong-number scams. “Annie” seems to be very interested in chatting with me. I told her my name is “Jimberly”

Any ideas on how to fuck with these scammers?

Growing sideburns in 2006 (I've never once chose a resolution I was successful at prior, so by god the bar was so low it was below ground to simply ask a barber not to shave my cheeks when I was 14 and I'll take that win to the grave).

Semi-real resolutions, my two successes in recent years was completing 12 books in 12 months in 2022 (major accomplishment for me after post secondary killed my love of reading 10+ years ago), and in 2023 making a lil impulse purchase list in my Notes app so that way I could cut back on my spending, and if four weeks after finding something I would have bought on a whim I still wanted, I was able to budget it properly. Keeping up with both this year and doing more with budgeting and aiming for 24 books this year. I'll save the health-related resolutions for April.
I should probably steal your budgeting idea. Keeping an all-encompassing budget was maddening for me, but controlling impulses seems a lot more approachable a start.

Long live the sideburns, though!

I've had a few over the years.. some sort of succesful and some not so much. I enjoy doing challenges like this, it helps me keep my head straight. I understand it's not for everyone but it is for me =)

My most succesful one was probably last year, I gave my everything the first 6 months of the year to get in good shape, and I did.

Very healthy eating
Heavy work outs
Lots of cardio

I felt real good once I hit my goals, probably like I've never felt before (from what I can remember :p)

This year I'm quitting energy drinks (heavy addiction to the point where it probably affected my health)
And either quit my job or get a new position at my current one.

Hopefully I can achieve both of these.

I mostly just ignore Switch 2 talk until there's an actual indication from Nintendo themselves that it's coming this year. Not much of a point in getting into heated discussions about a device that might not be in stores for another 6 months if not longer. I put money on the side and now I just wait while still playing games from last year.

240p

also not to dredge up my post from a few pages ago about eating disorder stuff, but…

I appreciate people wanting to celebrate certain milestones, but can I ask that we tread a little carefully around this shit?

This time of year blows because it’s peak predatory diet and exercise season

meaning many of us who have direct trauma — or are simply “overweight” in a system partially designed to kill us — get totally fucked over

some notes:

- BMI was literally a eugenicist project that got widely adopted and has done immense damage ever since

- they literally dropped the weight range for “overweight” in 1998

- recent studies have proven that BMI does not correlate to “worse health” at all — yet the entrenched cultural notions of “skinny = healthy” have not abated

- BMI doesn’t even measure body fat — not that body fat is a legitimate metric of “health” either

- a ton of the “foundational” weight-related studies are based on extremely bad data, assumptions, and small sample groups

- Losing weight can literally do more damage than good, especially in most of the ways it’s sold to you

- Fad diets, especially extreme ones, almost always cause minor to severe organ damage

- as an example, Keto causes kidney failure, liver issues, pancreas problems, cardiovascular disease, digestive damage, and lots more

- Many modern “diet lifestyle” small portion suggestions are not enough for an adult human to live on, and can cause cumulative damage

- Healthcare is designed around BMI, meaning that very often the first “answer” to a problem is “lose weight” — because the entire foundation is based on the lie that “fat people” are “abnormal”

- This means that many, many people, instead of being diagnosed properly with chronic conditions or being allowed to continue towards medications proven to help with chronic conditions, are made to “lose weight” first, rather than receive care

- Again, this was all because some Belgian dick wanted to make a tier list of “fuckable attributes”

- Because this is the cultural and healthcare basis for BMI and weight, many studies are founded on bad prior studies

- and we’re not even gonna get into cause and effect — and the frequent misinterpretation of correlation as causation

- Okay, so you’ve processed that and divorced BMI from nebulous “health”

- maybe. if you’re having a winning day.

- But that still leaves eXeRcIsE

- Even if activity had a clean correlation to weight, which it partly does but not to near the imagined extreme…

- sure! going for more walks, etc, can help you feel good…

- But exercise, especially intense exercise, can in some cases make things worse! or exacerbate chronic conditions! and is often recommended despite that!

- Here’s a mindbender for the audience — COVID, the thing I keep saying “does profound organ damage,” can give you Long COVID, which tons of us now have and few of us are successfully researching

- And you know what’s actually really bad to do with Long COVID?

- Exercise!!!

- I’m not fucking kidding

- Receipts and sources to follow I’m way too in the reeds right now

- but I’m rambling in this list, clearly

- if you’d rather hear collected people talk about this — not my unhinged scatterbrained ramblings — listen to Maintenance Phase

okay. that’s where I’m leaving it.

just be careful with how you say shit if y’all are gonna be flaunting the typical “new years resolution” mess

Congrats on yours. :)

When I finished University in 2014 I was 20kg overweight and I didn't like it; I have a family history of heart attacks so it caused me a lot of anxiety.

That year I resolved to do something about it; I cut out sugary cereals and soft drinks, cut down on fast food, switched to black coffee, and took up jogging. On the days when I was feeling too tired or stressed out to jog, I'd settle for a nice walk instead.

It was a slow and difficult process, but by 2015 I'd gone from 97 to 77kg, which is how much I weighed pre-University, and I'd maintained approximately that weight for 9 years now.

Last edited:

This wasn’t tied to New Years, but four years ago I decided to give up soda. Prior to that I had a cup or two once a day. It’s generally helped a lot as I sleep better, feel better, and it has probably helped me lose a little weight and have it stay off over the years. If there’s a party or something where it’d be awkward to fully turn down, I don’t mind having one then, but otherwise it’s fully out of my life and I feel better for it.

Loaded up OpenRCT2 for the first time in 2024...
From-The-Ashes-2024-01-08-19-23-56.png

This is the scenario "From The Ashes", which tasks you with turning an abandoned and run down park into something fresh and new, my favorite kind of scenario.

Honestly it’s less excitement for me and just a slight hope that this damn thing isn’t revealed at the absolute last possible nanosecond. Which, frankly, is what I expect to happen. Nintendo ain’t going to surprise us with anything regarding the Switch 2, especially not its reveal date.

And I think that whole Switch Pro thing really fucked things up. Cause it’s essentially made it so that ‘a more powerful Switch’ has been a major force for discussion, fighting, and snark for half the Switch’s lifespan. All after a massive L people had to take that branded you a naive idiot for ever having believed in a Pro instead of the slight iteration that was the OLED model. Shit’s exhausting, especially when folks on the internet will always, always spend no time letting you know how stupid you are for believing in things that don’t exist right in front of your eyes.

Any which way, any of the cool announcements regarding the Switch 2 will be leaked by Pyoro or someone anyways. So it’s not like we can really be excited about that either. Idk.

If you can’t tell I’m not in a good mood lol. Apologies for venting a bit.
What I found exhausting is that Switch Pro/2 discourse "leaked" into the [insert a high profile game such as TotK, Splat3, Monster Hunter here] discourse. Everybody has been convinced since 2019 that [high profile game] was too good for the Switch. And after those games were released, there were a lot of "literally unplayable" hyperbolic statements. And now that Nintendo is releasing fan-favorite remakes, those are shrugged off as fillers before Switch 2 launch.

It's almost like the hardware hype cannibalized the softwares...

I got a text from one of those wrong-number scams. “Annie” seems to be very interested in chatting with me. I told her my name is “Jimberly”

Any ideas on how to fuck with these scammers?
the house always wins

go home @switchum

Yeah tbh I’m finding the switch 2 discourse pretty exhausting myself. I’m sick of the back/forth and prediction stuff, I just want them to hurry up and announce the damn thing. We all know it exists. Just tell us what it’s called, when it’s out and how much it costs.

Yeah tbh I’m finding the switch 2 discourse pretty exhausting myself. I’m sick of the back/forth and prediction stuff, I just want them to hurry up and announce the damn thing. We all know it exists. Just tell us what it’s called, when it’s out and how much it costs.
which we really only know because of the leaks

it’s too bad, I enjoyed the unhinged nature of “what the fuck is it gonna be” Switch speculation age

which we really only know because of the leaks

it’s too bad, I enjoyed the unhinged nature of “what the fuck is it gonna be” Switch speculation age
oh current speculation is still getting unhinged, just in a sadly different way 😅

One thing I am curious about is if Switch 2 will maintain the red color theme. Feel like unintentionally or otherwise, the big 3 have settled into a red/blue/green format.

One thing I am curious about is if Switch 2 will maintain the red color theme. Feel like unintentionally or otherwise, the big 3 have settled into a red/blue/green format.
I hope they keep the red scheme but make the cases look different so I can just keep building my Switch shelf and not have to separate them.

See-through bright colors are always good by me. Although I do like the Switch red color scheme, it fits well
There was also a solid purple model!

EDIT: Unrelated, but any day I get to drop shmuplations.com interviews into a thread is a good day 💪

There was also a solid purple model!

EDIT: Unrelated, but any day I get to drop shmuplations.com interviews into a thread is a good day 💪
The purple/atomic purple Gameboy Color, then GBA, and Gamecube... they really had a theme going on there for a while, didn't they?

Damn, hope they get out alright
Here’s an update. He had some congestion in his chest that was built up, and from laying on it wrong was affecting his breathing. They’re giving him medicine to help but we are keeping an eye on him. He’s probably been dealing with some of the same sickness we all had this past week.

At least he’s okay. I was worried.

oh current speculation is still getting unhinged, just in a sadly different way 😅
but like that’s what I mean

it’s this weird desperation unhinged that’s mostly based in “we know the parts and even some dimensions maybe so we just need to know the rest now”

the mystique of photoshopped ovals is lost to us this time and that makes me sad

so I can only post the one shitpost I can get away with a month in the Hardware thread and keep on dreamin’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom