• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Chrono Trigger Remake - are we looking at a Team Asano 2D-HD remake, or a different style?
With CT being one of the prettiest 16-bit pixelart games ever imo, I'd actually prefer they not give it the washed-out HD2D treatment. It looks so good as it is, that I'm with @mazi on hoping they can just port it (with options for the DS menus and fonts (and it's super unrealistic but I'd love an option to have the original localized script/items/monster names too)). I just don't want the original lost to time. Going back and looking at SNES Live A Live I can see how the HD2D style is a huge upgrade to that game and why they'd want that to be the de facto version going forward but CT is so gorgeous I don't think it needs the help.

So if it must be upgraded to a different style for whatever reason, I'd prefer to see them give it the Pixel Remasters treatment where the basic style is retained but a little more detail is added in some places. Maybe it'd be cool to add more frames to the sprite animations to smooth out the motion. And I'd be okay with them putting some more detail (less repeating tilesets) in the environments as long as it blends well and doesn't go against the original too much.

And if they were to do a full-on remake in HD2D or 3D or whatever, I'd beg for them to release a simple port of the original either as a special feature packed in with the game or as a download-only on the eShop or something. Hell, I'd buy physical editions of both if they went that far. We have the original and remake versions of Trials of Mana on modern systems (and retail versions of both!), why erase the original Chrono Trigger?

Anyway yeah, I have opinions about this, surprising noone

I just don't want the original lost to time.
Same here. Its story, characters, design and gameplay have resisted the tests of time. Even moreso than its sequel, Cross.

And if they were to do a full-on remake in HD2D or 3D or whatever, I'd beg for them to release a simple port of the original either as a special feature packed in with the game or as a download-only on the eShop or something.
They could certainly do that, like with FINAL FANTASY VII hahahhah

Anyway yeah, I have opinions about this, surprising noone
Yes, you've certainly been breaking your lurk/shitpost rule recently xD

Less than 25 hours now to register for The Great Direct Date Guess Event! Make sure to @ me (replying to this post or the announcement post works or in a standalone post) if you want to sign up! Here’s all of the current valid registrations:

Direct Air Date Guesses

January 11th - MissingNo. , RealUncleNintendo
January 17th - crazybenjamin
January 24th - Brofield, rêverie
February 7th - Joe, hk-rara, SammyJ9, shoptroll
February 8th - Hero of Hyrule, gijose
February 9th - meatbag
February 13th - uboijohnnee, Gabev
February 14th - Josh5890, TriGen, Concernt, bixente, Marce-chan
February 15th - xghost777
February 16th - Legion of Primes

Switch 2 Announcement Guesses

January 4th - uboijohnnee
January 12th - Legion of Primes
January 15th - RealUncleNintendo
January 18th - Concernt
February 7th - shoptroll
February 22nd - MissingNo. , Marce-chan
February 25th - crazybenjamin
March 6th - Joe
March 13th - rêverie, Josh5890
March 14th - gijose
March 20th - SammyJ9
March 22nd - TriGen
June 12th - Gabev
June 26th - meatbag

I’m hoping we get a handful of winners so if you haven’t joined yet, pick some dates :) (you don’t have to pick both dates if you don’t want to, but you can only win here!)
i bet the first Nintendo Direct of 2024 will air on february 15th and Nintendo will tease the Switch sucessor in may(on the shareholders meeting) i would bet may 6th for the shareholders meeting and the Switch sucessor tease.

Less than 25 hours now to register for The Great Direct Date Guess Event! Make sure to @ me (replying to this post or the announcement post works or in a standalone post) if you want to sign up! Here’s all of the current valid registrations:

Direct Air Date Guesses

February 9th - meatbag

January 18th - Concernt
February 7th - shoptroll
March 6th - Joe
March 14th - gijose
March 20th - SammyJ9
March 22nd - TriGen
June 12th - Gabev
June 26th - meatbag

I’m hoping we get a handful of winners so if you haven’t joined yet, pick some dates :) (you don’t have to pick both dates if you don’t want to, but you can only win here!)

You forgot me! March 7th for reveal.

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't like a remake a la FFVII. It's a game that's charms truly stem from its unique art style/sprite art.
Speaking of pixelart, did you see the sequel concept made by the Owlboy creator?

That I'd be down for.

That should be in a Direct.

@lemonfresh Yeah!ed my dot and I'm sitting here like

WkjHg3z.gif

edit: yall, stop 🤣

Last edited:

Direct Air Date Guesses

February 9th - meatbag

January 18th - Concernt
February 7th - shoptroll
March 6th - Joe
March 14th - gijose
March 20th - SammyJ9
March 22nd - TriGen
June 12th - Gabev
June 26th - meatbag

Direct Air Date: January 23rd
Switch 2 Announcement: February 22nd

Direct Air Date Guesses

February 9th - meatbag

January 18th - Concernt
February 7th - shoptroll
March 6th - Joe
March 14th - gijose
March 20th - SammyJ9
March 22nd - TriGen
June 12th - Gabev
June 26th - meatbag

I will take February 14th for the Direct since Nintendo seems to like the second Wednesday of February for a Direct. Talk of stuff like the eShop maintenance on January 10th has me a little unsure but I'm sticking to my guns on this one. For the Switch 2 reveal I really have no inclination besides it being sometime in March so I will just take March 20th and call it good. The only serious conviction I have about these two events is that the Direct will come first so that they can have the final no seriously for real this time showcase of exclusively Switch games before revealing the successor. Honestly, were it not for this badge event I wouldn't even bother trying to speculate on hard dates for stuff like Directs or reveals and releases of new hardware. 2024 feels like it's going to be a year where anything can happen. It'll be a new era and I'm very much looking forward to all the excitement that comes with it.

I havent been checking here for a while but almost forgot Switch 2 is probably a lock for 2024. May next year be exciting and possibly a win for Team January finally???

I don't know how to enter the badge competition here are my predictions:

Direct:
February 21st 2024

NSW2 Announcement (not the console but a press release that its in dev and coming out this year):
March 18th 2024

I’ll update the charts in an hour or so, but I Yeah’d and screencapped everyone who has @ messaged me so far. I’ll accept @Pillydillsy and @the_marmolade entries and I have @Legion of Primes updated answer.

Still 8+ hours left to sign up :) Almost the year of Switch 2 and Prime 4 for me! Going to be a great year :)
Thanks. Hopefully we get prime 2 and 3. Prime 1 has been amazing to play for the first time so far but I’m taking a break to play splatoon 3.

At a little less than six hours left to sign up (reply to this post, the announcement post or @ me), here’s who I have so far:

Direct Air Date Guesses

January 10th - LuckyNumber69
January 18th - Magic-Man
January 23rd - ZephyrPhoenix
January 25th - Barely Able
February 7th - Joe, hk-rara, SammyJ9, shoptroll, unit 9s, SirArthur, Gamer_G
February 8th - Hero of Hyrule, gijose, Pillydillsy
February 9th - meatbag
February 14th - Josh5890, TriGen, Concernt, bixente, Marce-chan, Stephen
February 15th - xghost777, Giancarlo
February 16th - Legion of Primes, Lemonfresh
February 21st - Bobo, the_marmolade, ohlawd

January 11th - Legion of Primes
January 18th - Concernt
February 7th - shoptroll
February 22nd - MissingNo. , Marce-chan, ZephyrPhoenix
March 6th - Joe, Bobo
March 7th - Meelow, SirArthur
March 13th - rêverie, Josh5890, Magic-Man
March 14th - gijose
March 18th - the_marmolade
March 19th - ohlawd
March 20th - SammyJ9, unit 9s, Stephen
March 22nd - TriGen
March 28th - Gamer_G
April 18 - Pillydillsy
April 19 - Barely Able
May 3rd - Lemonfresh
May 6th - Giancarlo
June 12th - Gabev
June 20th - LuckyNumber69
June 26th - meatbag

Thanks everyone who has joined so far :) Really hoping we get winners for both badges! I think we have a great spread of guesses!

Last edited:
At a little less than six hours left to sign up (reply to this post, the announcement post or @ me), here’s who I have so far:

Direct Air Date Guesses

January 18th - Magic-Man
February 7th - Joe, hk-rara, SammyJ9, shoptroll, unit 9s, SirArthur
February 9th - meatbag
February 21st - Bobo, the_marmolade

January 18th - Concernt
February 7th - shoptroll
March 6th - Joe, Bobo
March 14th - gijose
March 22nd - TriGen
April 18 - Pillydillsy
April 19 - Barely Able
May 3rd - Lemonfresh
May 6th - Giancarlo
June 12th - Gabev
June 26th - meatbag

Thanks everyone who has joined so far :) Really hoping we get winners for both badges! I think we have a great spread of guesses!
I love how the vast majority of people think that the Switch 2 will be revealed before April. This is either going to age spectacularly or blow up in everyone's face lol.

We had a lot of wild fun predicting the Direct date in The Legendary Speculator Challenge last thread, but this time I want to open up the guessing game to as many people as possible! The Great Direct Date Guess Event is a badge challenge with two badges up for grabs! It’s very simple to participate, either reply to this post or @ message me in a post and tell me what dates you believe the Nintendo Direct will air and the Switch 2 will be announced in Pacific Time. If you do not reply or @ message me, I will not consider it an official entry. The deadline to enter is December 31st at 11:59 PM Pacific Time and you'll know I have accepted your prediction when I Yeah! your post. At that point I will screencap your answer and ultimately compile a chart in the OP to track participants, so make sure you’ve been added to it by January 4th. You do not have to predict both the Direct and the Switch 2 dates if you don’t want to, but there are no downsides to doing both. For The Great Direct Date Guess Event, you only need the dates to be clear (ie Wednesday January 3rd or Thursday February 4th), so you do not have to worry at all about predicting the time further otherwise.

If you believe an event would air or be announced at midnight Pacific time, for the purposes of proper guessing please put the second of the two days involved. For example, if you believe the Switch 2 will be announced at midnight between Tuesday January 2nd and Wednesday January 3rd Pacific Time, please put your guess down for January 3rd.

@Aurc is helping with creating the awesome badges for this event and we have one design ready to share right now! Winners of predicting the Direct air date will get the Direct Date Champion Badge!

Winners of predicting the Switch 2 Public Announcement Date will get the Switch 2 Date Legend Badge! (This includes a video, tweet, press release etc.) Like the Switch 2 itself, it is still being diligently worked on behind the scenes, but once the design is ready, I will share it in the thread and update this post! Thanks again Aurc for all of your help :)

So yes, please make sure to get your guesses in by December 31st at 11:59 PM Pacific Time! Have fun Fami!

Update: Here's the design for the Switch 2 Date Legend Badge! I hope one of us manages to win it, so definitely get your guesses in soon :)

Alright, lemme try this I guess 😎 ahem

Direct air date: January 10th, 2024
Switch 2 announcement date: June 20th, 2024

Direct Air Date Guesses

January 18th - Magic-Man
February 7th - Joe, hk-rara, SammyJ9, shoptroll, unit 9s, SirArthur
February 9th - meatbag
February 21st - Bobo, the_marmolade

January 18th - Concernt
February 7th - shoptroll
March 6th - Joe, Bobo
March 14th - gijose
March 22nd - TriGen
April 18 - Pillydillsy
April 19 - Barely Able
May 3rd - Lemonfresh
May 6th - Giancarlo
June 12th - Gabev
June 26th - meatbag

Oh HECK YEAH, I’m predicting exactly what I put down in my predictions,

General Direct - February 7th
Switch 2 reveal - March 28th

Direct Air Date Guesses

February 9th - meatbag

January 18th - Concernt
February 7th - shoptroll
March 6th - Joe
March 14th - gijose
March 20th - SammyJ9
March 22nd - TriGen
June 12th - Gabev
June 26th - meatbag

Direct air date - February 21st
Switch 2 announcement date - March 19th

I'm gonna win

2023 is just a few minutes away from ending where I am. I wish you all a wonderful 2024, and may all of the Nintendo Directs in the year give you what you hope for.

Well if anyone recalls my mass predictions from last year, you’ll be happy to know I’ve got some ready for y’all once again!
On top of that, I’ll be working on a video version that’ll go up sometime in the next few weeks, so if any of y’all have some time to kill and wanna see some super in depth Nintendo predictions, please take a look!
Seems solid overall, although I would put Mario 3D over Mario Kart

Also 50% chance of new Donkey Kong this year

While I do wish everyone safe and a happy new year, my thought on the topic are…

Nintendo Direct - Between Feb 8th - 14th
Switch 2 Reveal - More than likely reserved for later in the year

Final List Of Entries For The Great Direct Date Guess Event
Happy New Year!! Excited we are in the year of Metroid Prime 4, a new 3D Mario, and Switch 2!

Registration is officially over for The Great Direct Date Guess Event. Our final list of entries is:

Direct Air Date Guesses

January 18th - Magic-Man
February 7th - Joe, hk-rara, SammyJ9, shoptroll, unit 9s, SirArthur, Gamer_G, Derachi
February 9th - meatbag
February 21st - Bobo, the_marmolade, ohlawd

January 18th - Concernt
March 6th - Joe, Bobo
March 14th - gijose
March 19th - ohlawd
March 22nd - TriGen
March 28th - Gamer_G
April 18 - Pillydillsy
April 19 - Barely Able
May 3rd - Lemonfresh
May 6th - Giancarlo
June 12th - Gabev
June 26th - meatbag

If you had a post from 2023 in this thread only that you want counted that wasn’t an @ message to me, just let me know. I’ll even count messages made before the event kicked off provided they weren’t edited as long as they were in this thread.

I won’t edit guesses from here on out, but if I made a mistake writing something down just point me to your original post and I’ll fix it. I double and triple checked everything so 🤞 everything is right.

Thanks again to everyone who signed up and I hope we get winners for both badges :)

Last edited:
Direct predictions

-Early February
-Switch 2 announced at same time as Direct, but not shown until Q2.

Games focused on

-Mario vs DK
-Kirby’s Epic Yarn HD (shadow drop)
-Splatoon Side Order (March)
-Princess Peach Showtime
-Fairly large budget StarFox reboot (April)
-TTYD Remake (May)
-Mario Sluggers Switch (June)
-LM2 HD (July)
-OoT 3DS HD (August)

Imagine when the Switch life is over. The list of great games you can make is absurd. Normally, you’d have a top 10. I think you could make a top 20 or top 30 games because there’s so many good games on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom