• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably in the minority here but while I'm excited for the Switch 2 and what it has to offer I'm also not in a situation where I feel I need it NOW:

I beat Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII Reunion on Switch days ago and I was really, really impressed with the game: it looked like a PS4 game and running perfectly and with an image quality that was shockingly crisp most of the time, still shocked the Switch could even manage this. I also played the demo of Another Code Recollection and was completely charmed with the overall aesthetics, looked really beautiful to me. And the demo of Trails from Daybreak looked good too compared to the PS4 version. And then I need to go back to Zelda TOTK for the 100% and that's a very impressive game overall.

What I'm saying here is that the Switch still manages to impress me in 2024, it's possibly because I don't play on PS5/XS/PC and like many types of games but I'm currently satisfied about the way things are with this hardware given it punches way above its weight. It's different from the pre-Switch era where I felt the 3DS was definitely outdated and the Switch was needed (was still loving my 3DS but hey). It'll be amazing when Switch 2 is revealed but I hope it'll launch as late as possible so I have the time to reduce my backlog to nearly zero and then buy the most important Switch games I still don't have.

I think february is the direct we finally get a Ryu Ga Gotoku game.

Super Monkey Ball 3.
Well, this is more than just likely. Super Monkey Ball was one of the IP's they extended their trademarks just few weeks ago. And it was nowhere close to its expiration. It's definitely making a comeback, a matter of when.

Well, this is more than just likely. Super Monkey Ball was one of the IP's they extended their trademarks just few weeks ago. And it was nowhere close to its expiration. It's definitely making a comeback, a matter of when.
to be fair, trademarks being registered, extended, renewed, etc mean next to nothing when it comes to a product actually coming to market.

But yea Super Monkey Ball 3 is definitely happening, and it's definitely happening in the february direct. I have never been wrong about direct predictions before.

Anything else will be the cherry on top, I wouldn't mind Fire Emblem 4 Remake but I wouldn't be too shocked of they keep it for Switch 2 as Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia suffered from being 3DS only
Get the feeling that it'd be made for Switch 1. However, even if it's released after the Switch 2 I'd be shocked if Switch 2 isn't backwards compatible with Switch 1 games, therefore potentially avoiding SoV's fate.

I'm probably in the minority here but while I'm excited for the Switch 2 and what it has to offer I'm also not in a situation where I feel I need it NOW:

I beat Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII Reunion on Switch days ago and I was really, really impressed with the game: it looked like a PS4 game and running perfectly and with an image quality that was shockingly crisp most of the time, still shocked the Switch could even manage this. I also played the demo of Another Code Recollection and was completely charmed with the overall aesthetics, looked really beautiful to me. And the demo of Trails from Daybreak looked good too compared to the PS4 version. And then I need to go back to Zelda TOTK for the 100% and that's a very impressive game overall.

What I'm saying here is that the Switch still manages to impress me in 2024, it's possibly because I don't play on PS5/XS/PC and like many types of games but I'm currently satisfied about the way things are with this hardware given it punches way above its weight. It's different from the pre-Switch era where I felt the 3DS was definitely outdated and the Switch was needed (was still loving my 3DS but hey). It'll be amazing when Switch 2 is revealed but I hope it'll launch as late as possible so I have the time to reduce my backlog to nearly zero and then buy the most important Switch games I still don't have.

I'm the same. Got a backlog that can last me years. And there's games from the last few years I haven't played yet I'm still interested in trying, first party and indie.

Get the feeling that it'd be made for Switch 1. However, even if it's released after the Switch 2 I'd be shocked if Switch 2 isn't backwards compatible with Switch 1 games, therefore potentially avoiding SoV's fate.

Good point, for some reason I forgot about backward compatibility so the sales wouldn't be affected. This or they go the cross-gen route which can also be beneficial as they'd be able to market it at high resolution and performance in marketing

I think february is the direct we finally get a Ryu Ga Gotoku game.

Super Monkey Ball 3.
Holy shit yes please. 99% of what I play is first-party, and that remaining 1% is Monkey Ball. I have an in-game world record in Banana Mania that took hundreds of hours to achieve; I would KILL for an original entry

I’m considering the possibility that Switch 2’s release will mean the end of Directs. I know that sounds crazy, but hear me out.

Nintendo is a company that’s not afraid to go through changes in their public image, and I think it’s possible that they’ll want to move past “Directs” as a marketing device with the launch of a new generation. Just look at how the Direct branding went under a massive shift as soon as Switch released. Prior to Switch, Directs put a larger focus on dev interviews, skits and gags, and occasionally had segments filmed around the Nintendo offices IIRC. As soon as Switch came out, they switched (haha) to the much more formal style we see today, with the red background and branding, and got a new logo that has stuck around to this day. They feel much more professional now. I’m not saying that’s a good or bad thing; I’m just pointing out the objective changes. The Directs of 2017-present are very different from those released prior to Switch; in fact, the biggest thing they have in common is the name “Nintendo Direct”.

I’m wondering if Nintendo may want to ditch the “Direct” format altogether as they head into the new generation, especially with how many other gaming companies have started creating their own versions of Directs thanks to Nintendo’s format’s popularity. They might want to separate themselves from the online slideshow-style presentation that is now seemingly standard for video game companies, and advertise upcoming games in a new way (think 2020’s “Twitter drops”. Obviously that was different circumstances but it’s just an example of different marketing.)

Now I hear you: Directs are super popular, so why would they ditch the branding now? See, that’s what I WOULD say, but a huge part of Nintendo’s strategy is its unpredictability and continual innovation. They’ve done so many things in the last few years that seemingly make no sense that I wouldn’t put it past them to ditch Directs at the peak of their popularity.

The main point here is that Nintendo may want to overhaul their marketing style again after Switch 2’s release, just as they did when Switch released. (Note that I really want Directs to stick around; this is speculation not a hope of mine. I love Directs and don’t want them to disappear, but thought this could make a good point of discussion)

Going to bet that the game Namco is remastering is OoT 3D.

Would just be very surprised if Nintendo had nothing planned for OoT's 25th anniversary.

Guessing they had an OoT 3D remake planned that they pushed to 2024 when TotK got pushed.

I’m considering the possibility that Switch 2’s release will mean the end of Directs. I know that sounds crazy, but hear me out.

Nintendo is a company that’s not afraid to go through changes in their public image, and I think it’s possible that they’ll want to move past “Directs” as a marketing device with the launch of a new generation. Just look at how the Direct branding went under a massive shift as soon as Switch released. Prior to Switch, Directs put a larger focus on dev interviews, skits and gags, and occasionally had segments filmed around the Nintendo offices IIRC. As soon as Switch came out, they switched (haha) to the much more formal style we see today, with the red background and branding, and got a new logo that has stuck around to this day. They feel much more professional now. I’m not saying that’s a good or bad thing; I’m just pointing out the objective changes. The Directs of 2017-present are very different from those released prior to Switch; in fact, the biggest thing they have in common is the name “Nintendo Direct”.

I’m wondering if Nintendo may want to ditch the “Direct” format altogether as they head into the new generation, especially with how many other gaming companies have started creating their own versions of Directs thanks to Nintendo’s format’s popularity. They might want to separate themselves from the online slideshow-style presentation that is now seemingly standard for video game companies, and advertise upcoming games in a new way (think 2020’s “Twitter drops”. Obviously that was different circumstances but it’s just an example of different marketing.)

Now I hear you: Directs are super popular, so why would they ditch the branding now? See, that’s what I WOULD say, but a huge part of Nintendo’s strategy is its unpredictability and continual innovation. They’ve done so many things in the last few years that seemingly make no sense that I wouldn’t put it past them to ditch Directs at the peak of their popularity.

The main point here is that Nintendo may want to overhaul their marketing style again after Switch 2’s release, just as they did when Switch released. (Note that I really want Directs to stick around; this is speculation not a hope of mine. I love Directs and don’t want them to disappear, but thought this could make a good point of discussion)
What other ways could Nintendo advertise their own and third party games though? Directs are successful for a reason. The only other options are to go back to live presentations (never happening because of COVID consequences) or to do smaller Direct-like presentations every month.

What other ways could Nintendo advertise their own and third party games though? Directs are successful for a reason. The only other options are to go back to live presentations (never happening because of COVID consequences) or to do smaller Direct-like presentations every month.
The thing is: I don’t know what else Nintendo would do. I just know that Nintendo likes to take the unpredictable route and try something new. You’re right that live presentations are over as a regular occurrence, but I still think it’s possible they think up something entirely new and surprising. What that would actually entail is a different question.

The thing is: I don’t know what else Nintendo would do. I just know that Nintendo likes to take the unpredictable route and try something new. You’re right that live presentations are over as a regular occurrence, but I still think it’s possible they think up something entirely new and surprising. What that would actually entail is a different question.
Directs work at building hype

Until they have something that’s better at building hype they will keep the direct

Does anyone think it's likely they will finally add achievements to Switch 2? I need a reason to replay all these old games.
I think there's a good chance they're at least playing around with the idea. One of the My Nintendo missions not that long ago required you to cross the finish line in F-Zero 99 or something like that, so there's already a framework for recognizing specific in-game triggers for Switch games beyond just "open this NES game in the NES NSO app"

Of course, if you'd asked me back in like 2016 when missions first debuted in their mobile games, I would have said that was laying the groundwork for a Nintendo achievement system because some of those were incredibly achievement-y (ie. clear world 1 in Mario Run, world 2, etc), so what do I know

I think there's a good chance they're at least playing around with the idea. One of the My Nintendo missions not that long ago required you to cross the finish line in F-Zero 99 or something like that, so there's already a framework for recognizing specific in-game triggers for Switch games beyond just "open this NES game in the NES NSO app"

Of course, if you'd asked me back in like 2016 when missions first debuted in their mobile games, I would have said that was laying the groundwork for a Nintendo achievement system because some of those were incredibly achievement-y (ie. clear world 1 in Mario Run, world 2, etc), so what do I know
Right. Thanks for the background. -- Hopefully Furukawa comes through with the logical thing to do.

Directs work at building hype

Until they have something that’s better at building hype they will keep the direct
Yep, that’s definitely one of the best things about Directs. The hype they create is unmatched. I hope you’re right and Nintendo doesn’t try to fix what isn’t broken.

If nothing else, I could see Directs undergoing another stylistic redesign (like 2017) but that would be fine as long as they don’t lose the core concept.

I’m glad we are past the holidays now. Stuff can happen again even if I suspect nothing major until next week.

Nintendo isn’t moving past directs. There are no alternatives unless you want them to go back to newspaper or make announcements on TikTok lol. It’s a proven concept with Directs and it’s the most direct way to speak to your audience online. They have no reason to move past that. Directs give the announcements and other social media platforms are used to dole out the information from the Directs.

I am with you. I actually do hope for a new Nintendo console but seeing how much I still can play on several consoles, I do not NEED it. But I do hope it is asap, mainly to see all the new creativity that we can expect in franchises :D.

Why do people keep repeating this lie, Echoes didn't suffered, it sold over a million. which is quite good considering sales of Fates and Awakening and that its a remake. How much do people expect it to sell?
I just want to chime in if it hasn't been said before but, before Echoes sold 1m+ and during 2017 in the year it released, Nintendo literally said that Echoes surpassed their expectations.

In other words, it was a great success.

Since we are in the New Year now, I’m curious if anyone wants to join me and start putting together some calendar predictions to get discussion rolling. You can keep it easy and just do April, May, June, or go through the whole year. I’ll take a stab at one.

Jan - Another Code
Feb - Mario Vs DK
March - Peach
April - Splatoon Side Order
May - Fire Emblem Genealogy
June - Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door + New Tomodachi
July - New Donkey Kong
Aug - Luigi’s Mansion 2
Sep - Switch 2 with exclusive New 3D Mario and cross gen Prime 4
Oct - Some cross gen party game
Nov - Pokemon BW Remakes cross gen
Dec - Xenoblade X Definitive Edition Switch 2 Exclusive

I’m feeling good-ish on my guesses here for the most part though maybe you swap the party game and Prime 4? I only listed one game for October and November, but I expect them to get two Nintendo games ultimately even if I’m having trouble guessing them exactly now. I want to say Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD are both showing up sooner than later, but maybe Pokemon carries the holiday for Switch 1 well enough with cross gen Prime 4?

So, without any teases thus far to work with, for the Direct then unless it ends on a Switch 2 tease that I halfway think is happening and halfway trying to will into existence, I’m currently guessing we’ll see Fire Emblem Genealogy, new Tomodachi, and new Donkey Kong as the big announcements. If we get the brief Switch 2 tease, new 3D Mario and Prime 4 get teased.

while I suppose it's possible that it comes mid-season, I feel pretty confident it'll be part of the new version patch on March 1
Ah, forgot to account for the seasons they have going. Well I’ll gladly take it sooner than later if it works out that way. I guess I’d slide either Paper Mario or Tomodachi into April then.

Fire Emblem has launched in May before so that seems probable. I was originally thinking they’d resurrect June Mario with Paper Mario and it feels weird to date it 2024 as some big mystery to have it only be one month after Peach. So I guess I’ll roll with then:

March - Side Order + Peach
April - Tomodachi
June - Paper Mario TTYD
July - New Donkey Kong
August - Luigi’s Mansion 2

Luigi’s Mansion 2 is weird because it was announced forever ago, but I feel like if they have new games (or might as well be new in Fire Emblem’s case) they’ll try to space those out properly.

Edit: Did want to add quick, Nintendo is known to dash expectations, but my original placement of Side Order was based off the sizzle reel at the end of the last Direct that seemed to put everything in order. It ended with Peach > Side Order > Luigi’s Mansion 2. April felt right in that light, but I guess it would be odd not to be there at season launch.

Last edited:
Ah, forgot to account for the seasons they have going. Well I’ll gladly take it sooner than later if it works out that way. I guess I’d slide either Paper Mario or Tomodachi into April then.

Fire Emblem has launched in May before so that seems probable. I was originally thinking they’d resurrect June Mario with Paper Mario and it feels weird to date it 2024 as some big mystery to have it only be one month after Peach. So I guess I’ll roll with then:

March - Side Order + Peach
April - Tomodachi
June - Paper Mario TTYD
July - New Donkey Kong
August - Luigi’s Mansion 2

Luigi’s Mansion 2 is weird because it was announced forever ago, but I feel like if they have new games (or might as well be new in Fire Emblem’s case) they’ll try to space those out properly.
I really hope you're right about Tomodachi and Fire Emblem, I think those alone would make this one of the Switch's best years for me.

Edit: re: your edit:

April would have the mid-season balance patch, Side Order could squeak in with it. Maybe most of the data is sent out for pre-download in March's seasonal update?

I still expect March 1st but I don't think April is unrealistic.

I really hope you're right about Tomodachi and Fire Emblem, I think those alone would make this one of the Switch's best years for me.
Fire Emblem I feel good about for May or worst case June. It’s been rumored forever and they have been working their way up with remakes. Tomodachi is purely a guess from what franchises they can pull from, but yeah I hope so 🤞

Edit: Did want to add quick, Nintendo is known to dash expectations, but my original placement of Side Order was based off the sizzle reel at the end of the last Direct that seemed to put everything in order. It ended with Peach > Side Order > Luigi’s Mansion 2. April felt right in that light, but I guess it would be odd not to be there at season launch.

there is some datamining evidence that suggests a launch next season, but it could always be June 1st with Luigi sometime after

If I was Nintendo I'd keep Fire Emblem 4 Remake for the Switch 2 as a crossgen release, the Switch got Engage a year ago and FE Warriors 3H 1.5 years ago so it's not like the Switch is in dire need of FE games right now.

Of course I'd still be happy to have one and I'd be there for it as I love the IP, and if it's as beautiful as Engage it's gonna be wonderful but it'd seem so early to me, and if it means no Fire Emblem game exclusive to Switch 2 till 2026 or 2027 I'd prefer them to put FE4R on Switch 2 as an exclusive but I'm aware it's unlikely as it's been rumored for years so it's probably too advanced in its development on Switch to change hardware, at best it'll be cross-gen but if it's a May release it also won't happen

If I was Nintendo I'd keep Fire Emblem 4 Remake for the Switch 2 as a crossgen release, the Switch got Engage a year ago and FE Warriors 3H 1.5 years ago so it's not like the Switch is in dire need of FE games right now.

Of course I'd still be happy to have one and I'd be there for it as I love the IP, and if it's as beautiful as Engage it's gonna be wonderful but it'd seem so early to me, and if it means no Fire Emblem game exclusive to Switch 2 till 2026 or 2027 I'd prefer them to put FE4R on Switch 2 as an exclusive but I'm aware it's unlikely as it's been rumored for years so it's probably too advanced in its development on Switch to change hardware, at best it'll be cross-gen but if it's a May release it also won't happen
Engage was finished a while ago and was held back because Nintendo could. I imagine FE4 remake as a Switch 1 title has also been finished and is just a matter of when. Probably going to open the next direct with a launch month of May-August. Switch 2's first FE needs to be the next big mainline title.

Engage was finished a while ago and was held back because Nintendo could. I imagine FE4 remake as a Switch 1 title has also been finished and is just a matter of when. Probably going to open the next direct with a launch month of May-August. Switch 2's first FE needs to be the next big mainline title.

Yes, I'm aware FE4R is probably finished now and the work on the new mainline probably started in 2022, it'll be interesting to see if Koei Tecmo is involved in the next one like with FE3H and if they intend to do a Fire Emblem Warriors Engage as well

PS: though I'd prefer a Xenoblade Warriors, surprised we never got one

Regarding the Direct branding, I think that they'll keep it, but won't do their big first Switch 2 showcase in a traditional 'Nintendo Direct' format. Fully expect them to do something similar to Sony's 'Future of Gaming Showcases' they did back in 2020, or a non-live version of the Switch's own January event. Something grander and less rigid to generate more hype for the new generation, with all the fancy visuals and developers going "wow. so cool," to go alongside it. It just wouldn't feel right to have a whole new generation detailed for the first time in a relatively low-key event like a Direct.

Jan - Another Code
Feb - Mario Vs DK
March - Peach
April - Splatoon Side Order
June - Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door + New Tomodachi
July - New Donkey Kong
Aug - Luigi’s Mansion 2
Sep - Prime 4

If you're right, this would be one of the Switch's best years ever !

You think Donkey Kong will be exclusive to the Switch ? :) No cross-gen ?

If you're right, this would be one of the Switch's best years ever !

You think Donkey Kong will be exclusive to the Switch ? :) No cross-gen ?
I'm not Xghost, but I've also speculated a new DK could be a Switch 1 title for 2024. I'm not sure how many true cross gen titles we'll get from Nintendo in 2024, I imagine most games will just be Switch 1 games playable on Switch 2.

Regarding the Direct branding, I think that they'll keep it, but won't do their big first Switch 2 showcase in a traditional 'Nintendo Direct' format. Fully expect them to do something similar to Sony's 'Future of Gaming Showcases' they did back in 2020, or a non-live version of the Switch's own January event. Something grander and less rigid to generate more hype for the new generation, with all the fancy visuals and developers going "wow. so cool," to go alongside it. It just wouldn't feel right to have a whole new generation detailed for the first time in a relatively low-key event like a Direct.
Yeah that’s different. This is their next generation system. Why can’t they do a live event? I keep seeing this being said.

Yeah that’s different. This is their next generation system. Why can’t they do a live event? I keep seeing this being said.
I just don't think Nintendo will consider it to be particularly worth it. A live event is a massive undertaking with lots of risk for relatively little gain, and the resources behind one could be used to bolster other, more importamt, forms of marketing. It's also telling that not even Apple - whose live events were the stuff of legend - does live events anymore; they're quite a rarity these days when it comes to big tech reveals.

I'd honestly be kinda disappointed if they didn't do a live event, I loved the live presentation in 2017 even if it wasn't perfect.

Anybody expects another Asano game in this Direct? They have become annual series now, there has been one Asano game each year for past 3 years. We might see another here, be it Bravely 3 or Triangle 2. There are enough studios out there for Asano to work with.

Anybody expects another Asano game in this Direct? They have become annual series now, there has been one Asano game each year for past 3 years. We might see another here, be it Bravely 3 or Triangle 2. There are enough studios out there for Asano to work with.
Yes, Dragon Quest 3.

Or other SFC era Japan only game like Bahamut Lagoon or Treasure Hunter G.

I don't think Asano is working on that one. 2DHD is for everyone to use, I think.

I meant Asano's own series. 2021 had Bravely 2, 2022 had Triangle and 2023 had Octopath 2. This is an annual thing now. 2024 should have its own Asano game.
Well, so far Asano games are released at Q1 each year.
Bravely 2 - February 2021
Triangle - March 2022
Octopath 2 - March 2023

So, its possible there isn’t any game prepared for this year. Unless we get a surprise Bravely 3DS HD remaster shadowdropping (or very short time window) next month or so direct.

In addition, I think they will announce a new IP (temporal) exclusive to Switch 2 being an Action RPG that is an homenage to old school games like Secret of Mana. It will have a 2D-HD artstyle with much larger scoop due to new HW. Its aiming for a Q1 2025 release and will be revealed at first Switch 2 SW presentation.

Fire Emblem I feel good about for May or worst case June. It’s been rumored forever and they have been working their way up with remakes. Tomodachi is purely a guess from what franchises they can pull from, but yeah I hope so 🤞

Plus, FE4 originally released on May 14th, 1996. Having the remake launch on the anniversary would be fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom