• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling we will get animal crossing 6 launch year of switch 2, spin-off this year
Dunno why this crossed my mind, but if Switch 2 is expected to be backwards compatible, how much integration with NH do we expect to be with AC6? IIRC you could export your character from Wild World into City Folk, so I wonder how much "progress" you could send to a new island/town

If you're right, this would be one of the Switch's best years ever !

You think Donkey Kong will be exclusive to the Switch ? :) No cross-gen ?
Yeah I think DK will swoop in before Switch 2 launch and thus not be cross gen. It’s big enough to hang as a Switch 1 only game and do well before and after the Switch 2 launch with normal backwards compatibility.

Anybody expects another Asano game in this Direct? They have become annual series now, there has been one Asano game each year for past 3 years. We might see another here, be it Bravely 3 or Triangle 2. There are enough studios out there for Asano to work with.
I don’t remember where, but I read there was some interview or New Years / holiday message that mentioned they have multiple games that should be shown off next year. I think it has a great shot.

Edit: reading through the thread, someone shared it:

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Harada already said they weren't working on Xenosaga remasters/remakes due to internal studies showing it wouldn't be profitable so for now I prefer to avoid any hope about Xenosaga, not until it's officially confirmed (which would make me very happy). I know that the end of a certain DLC might mean something is happening but it doesn't mean much. At this point I'd prefer a remake directly by Monolith that'd look gorgeous and would fix some of the issues the original games had.

But hey, we're allowed to dream after we got Baten Kaitos and BK Origins as remasters (glad I bought a copy, wonderful RPGs and Baten Kaitos was my forst Monolith Soft experience)
That comment was years ago, I'm sure Namco management and Harada changed their course since then. Otherwise, we wouldn't have gotten Baten kaitos, a series arguably more niche than Xenosaga. And it's Switch exclusive.

As I said before, they're on a remaster spree. 3 last year, 3 the year before that. We'll get another three this year and so far they revealed nothing. Wouldn't be surprised now Xenosaga hit the top on their list of games to remaster/re-release.

Yeah I think DK will swoop in before Switch 2 launch and thus not be cross gen. It’s big enough to hang as a Switch 1 only game and do well before and after the Switch 2 launch with normal backwards compatibility.

Who would even develop it? Retro Studios seems too busy with Metroid

That comment was years ago, I'm sure Namco management and Harada changed their course since then. Otherwise, we wouldn't have gotten Baten kaitos, a series arguably more niche than Xenosaga. And it's Switch exclusive.

As I said before, they're on a remaster spree. 3 last year, 3 the year before that. We'll get another three this year and so far they revealed nothing. Wouldn't be surprised now Xenosaga hit the top on their list of games to remaster/re-release.

Well, I'm definitely hoping for the best. It'd be the dream for me to finally be able to play it. Here in Europe we didn't even get the trilogy

personally I hope that if Tomodachi is in development it's for Switch 2. Switch 1 doesn't really have enough I/O options to make a game on par with Tomodachi Life

of course I recognize there's no guarantee Switch 2 will either, but I hope it does

I have a feeling we will get animal crossing 6 launch year of switch 2, spin-off this year
I can't imagine what they'd do for a Animal Crossing spin off at this point. Most of the ideas I've saw for spin off games might as well be features/DLC for the next entry in the series like how Happy Home Designer basically got a sequel with the New Horizons DLC.

I hope they're just focusing on the next game for Switch 2, hopefully with a better post-launch road map than New Horizons if there's anything Animal Crossing in the works.

EPD 8 was hiring for a 2D platformer project back in 2021. Unless it's a new experimental 2D Mario title or something along those lines, it's for DK.

On one hand it'd be great to see Donkey Kong again, on the other hand another 2D one would be a bit of a downer because I really miss a Donkey Kong 64 kind of games, it was my first Donkey Kong so it means a lot to me

Random thought, maybe Nintendo held onto everything with a 4 in the title/sequence for 2024.
4haet7.png

I can't imagine what they'd do for a Animal Crossing spin off at this point. Most of the ideas I've saw for spin off games might as well be features/DLC for the next entry in the series like how Happy Home Designer basically got a sequel with the New Horizons DLC.

I hope they're just focusing on the next game for Switch 2, hopefully with a better post-launch road map than New Horizons if there's anything Animal Crossing in the works.
What if we got a spin-off focused on the money portion of the animal crossing in the same way happy home designer focused in on the building aspect of the series. Like you have to maintain a chain of stores across multiple villages, putting in unique marketing tactics and products depending on the attributes of the town

if Nintendo Direct is gone, how Nintendo is gonna market it games, third parties e Indies coming to Nintendo Switch e future consoles of them?
That’s true, I didn’t think about third parties and indies. But I still think they could find an alternate strategy if they want to get away from Directs for whatever reason. They’re really creative and will continue to innovate (even if it’s not always to their benefit)

personally I hope that if Tomodachi is in development it's for Switch 2. Switch 1 doesn't really have enough I/O options to make a game on par with Tomodachi Life

of course I recognize there's no guarantee Switch 2 will either, but I hope it does
If there is a new Tomodachi I will be first in line

Yeah, no. I love my Switch and my 58 retail games (and a ton on digital) but I'm also ready to move on, even if that means I'll keep playing Switch 1 games on the new one.
See I’m on the same boat, but it’s not about us, it’s about if Nintendo sees it as a good decision to play conservative this year

Jan:
Pokemon Presents announcing Pokemon Legends: Unova for November 2024

Feb Nintendo Direct:
Princess Peach: Showtime (showing off new costume gameplay and the cute collectable buddies you save during your adventure) - March
Splatoon 3: Side Order (roguelike mode) - April
Super Mario Baseball: Home Run (its a baseball game) - April
Super Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door + Peach's Story - May
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD - June
Metroid Prime 2 + 3 (really shiny ports) - July
Metroid Prime 4: Insurgence - 2024
New NSO games-- GBA, N64 including Super Smash Bros - available later today
Mario Party Superstars: Party Pass - Extra Minigames, Board, and Characters delivered in Waves (Free for Expansion Pak members)

3rd Party: Dragon Quest: The Erdrick Trilogy HD2D, Bravely Default 1 HD

Switch 2 revealed over the summer and released in September. May be briefly announced in Spring if Switch sales are low in Q1.

Last edited:
I'd lose my shit. Unfortunately though, I don't believe next year is any sort of anniversary for Animal Crossing, and DK didn't get any new product when his Lego set came out.
DK's lego set was still in the Mario line, Animal Crossing is a brand new line of product. I could totally see Nintendo wanting something AC related to release in fairly close proximity of this line releasing.

Even then, DK's lego set released in august and we got the announcement of Mario Vs. Donkey Kong shortly after. Are they connected? Who knows. Am I going to run with it until I can't? absolutely.
I was originally thinking a spinoff, but I can't imagine what we could see. We already got a spinoff like Happy Home Designer with the New Horizons DLC, and I can't imagine them going back to the board game stuff.

For NSO, I can see full Mortal Kombat blowout. MK1-2-3 on SNES, MKTrilogy-4 on N64 and MKA-Deadly Alliance/Tournament Edition for GBA. They scrapped the rumored MK collection and now Nintendo is buddies with WB Games and we have separate +18 NSO apps, it should be a possibility.

We could very well see something Animal Crossing related this year come to the Switch. Definitely not a new game, but I think odds are good that we see something Animal Crossing related in the next direct. Maybe New Leaf gets the Luigi's Mansion 2 treatment?

Animal Crossing Gamecube HD Remaster?? But seriously, there’s no way the next game will take as long as New Horizons did. Its still too soon, but 2025/early 2026 seems like a reasonable amount of time given that they hopefully don’t have to make all the assets from scratch again.

I could see something really small in the meantime, though. Like a Pokémon Cafe type game that goes to Switch and mobile.

I was originally thinking a spinoff, but I can't imagine what we could see. We already got a spinoff like Happy Home Designer with the New Horizons DLC, and I can't imagine them going back to the board game stuff.
I refer you to my post here:
What if we got a spin-off focused on the money portion of the animal crossing in the same way happy home designer focused in on the building aspect of the series. Like you have to maintain a chain of stores across multiple villages, putting in unique marketing tactics and products depending on the attributes of the town

i'm not sure how many more mornings i can wake up expecting a hype nintendo tweet and not getting one...

gioated-family-guy.png

and we are only two days into the new year

Wonder where Animal Crossing goes from here. New Horizons was their biggest release yet for the series but it was kind of a let down for me down the road. Every AC I would play and go back and check in on. This one just didn't have that stay-ability for me. Don't get me wrong I put like 140 hrs into it but I just haven't signed back in like a year and half

Wonder where Animal Crossing goes from here. New Horizons was their biggest release yet for the series but it was kind of a let down for me down the road. Every AC I would play and go back and check in on. This one just didn't have that stay-ability for me. Don't get me wrong I put like 140 hrs into it but I just haven't signed back in like a year and half

As someone who has 780+ hours in the game and is planning on starting a new island (final island, I promised myself this so I can just have it on maintenance/daily check in mode), I hope there's a long long wait before the next one. I would rather see something creative done in a side game (an AC RPG please!!!).

Honestly, a New Leaf remake with the good parts from New Horizon would also be fire, but I really have to focus on other games so...

As someone who has 780+ hours in the game and is planning on starting a new island (final island, I promised myself this so I can just have it on maintenance/daily check in mode), I hope there's a long long wait before the next one. I would rather see something creative done in a side game (an AC RPG please!!!).

Honestly, a New Leaf remake with the good parts from New Horizon would also be fire, but I really have to focus on other games so...
An animal crossing rpg spin off is something that has crossed my mind multiple times after thinking about how the OG animal crossing was planned to be a dungeon crawler/RPG with life sim elements thrown in when it was on the 64DD. It would be a really exciting spin off for me to see.
Also god a New Leaf HD would be so good, new leaf has a cozy charm to it that I love.

Everyone making strange comments on the chibi robo gif
Oooh there was a point years ago where everyone was expecting a Direct and social media was starting to churn over it, and someone who was doing Nintendo's social media saw that and posted that picture of Chibi Robo on fire and it sent people into speculation overdrive with "WHAT IS NINTENDO TRYING TO TEASE???" sorta stuff. It was a legendary move and very un-Nintendolike, and recently Kit And Krysta (former Nintendo employees, now podcast hosts) said the higher-ups at Nintendo were big mad at the employee for posting it. 😅

So now that image is like A Thing

Everyone making strange comments on the chibi robo gif

Oooh there was a point years ago where everyone was expecting a Direct and social media was starting to churn over it, and someone who was doing Nintendo's social media saw that and posted that picture of Chibi Robo on fire and it sent people into speculation overdrive with "WHAT IS NINTENDO TRYING TO TEASE???" sorta stuff. It was a legendary move and very un-Nintendolike, and recently Kit And Krysta (former Nintendo employees, now podcast hosts) said the higher-ups at Nintendo were big mad at the employee for posting it. 😅

So now that image is like A Thing
What chocolate_supra said. If you want to look at the original tweet, here you go. Note the brand engagement underneath. It was a Nintendo online moment.

I don't remember why Direct speculation was at a fever pitch already on January 10th that year (2018). I'm so used to February Directs at this point. It may have been rumored to be coming. I suppose it would be the first Q1 Direct of the Switch's life, and coming off of the incredible year for Switch that was 2017, I can see why people would want to see what's coming next.

Last edited:
I was lurking Era during the first Direct threads and Chibi Robo on fire was a spectacular moment that kicked the hype into overdrive. Won’t ever forget it.

My favorite January direct will always be the extremely hype Wii U direct that ended with Xenoblade X. I don’t know if we will every get a direct with that level of first party games again.

There was nothing like the speculation and hype of the January 2018 direct. John Cartwright from GVG posted on Era too. He would post dog pictures if I remember. There were more insiders at the time posting on Era.

I'm not Xghost, but I've also speculated a new DK could be a Switch 1 title for 2024. I'm not sure how many true cross gen titles we'll get from Nintendo in 2024, I imagine most games will just be Switch 1 games playable on Switch 2.

Interesting !

I was thinking the opposite :

Metroid Prime 4 : Switch only
New Donkey Kong : cross-gen

Whatever happens, I think the Switch will have another great year :D

Since we are in the New Year now, I’m curious if anyone wants to join me and start putting together some calendar predictions to get discussion rolling. You can keep it easy and just do April, May, June, or go through the whole year. I’ll take a stab at one.

Jan - Another Code
Feb - Mario Vs DK
March - Peach
April - Splatoon Side Order
May - Fire Emblem Genealogy
June - Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door + New Tomodachi
July - New Donkey Kong
Aug - Luigi’s Mansion 2
Sep - Switch 2 with exclusive New 3D Mario and cross gen Prime 4
Oct - Some cross gen party game
Nov - Pokemon BW Remakes cross gen
Dec - Xenoblade X Definitive Edition Switch 2 Exclusive

I’m feeling good-ish on my guesses here for the most part though maybe you swap the party game and Prime 4? I only listed one game for October and November, but I expect them to get two Nintendo games ultimately even if I’m having trouble guessing them exactly now. I want to say Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD are both showing up sooner than later, but maybe Pokemon carries the holiday for Switch 1 well enough with cross gen Prime 4?

So, without any teases thus far to work with, for the Direct then unless it ends on a Switch 2 tease that I halfway think is happening and halfway trying to will into existence, I’m currently guessing we’ll see Fire Emblem Genealogy, new Tomodachi, and new Donkey Kong as the big announcements. If we get the brief Switch 2 tease, new 3D Mario and Prime 4 get teased.
I feel like PMTYYD is closer than Summer. Same for Luigi’s Mansion. I have ab impression that we may get back-to-back Mario related games, like Wonder-RPG:
• Peach in March;
• TTYD on April;
• Luigi during May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom