• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Asano is working on that one. 2DHD is for everyone to use, I think.

I meant Asano's own series. 2021 had Bravely 2, 2022 had Triangle and 2023 had Octopath 2. This is an annual thing now. 2024 should have its own Asano game.
Dragon Quest III Remake is being produced by Team Asano. Just go back to the original announcement video's description. Co-developer was stated to be Amata K.K., unknown whether they still are.

Well, so far Asano games are released at Q1 each year.
Bravely 2 - February 2021
Triangle - March 2022
Octopath 2 - March 2023

So, its possible there isn’t any game prepared for this year. Unless we get a surprise Bravely 3DS HD remaster shadowdropping (or very short time window) next month or so direct.

In addition, I think they will announce a new IP (temporal) exclusive to Switch 2 being an Action RPG that is an homenage to old school games like Secret of Mana. It will have a 2D-HD artstyle with much larger scoop due to new HW. Its aiming for a Q1 2025 release and will be revealed at first Switch 2 SW presentation.
There's a decent chance Asano & Co. have more than one game for next year actually. As per the words he gave Famitsu at their usual year end developer round-up. (Translation courtesy of Gematsu.)
Tomoya Asano

(Known for Octopath Traveler series, Bravely Default series)

—Ambitions for 2024

“I think we will be able to release various titles and information in 2024, from big ones to not-so-big ones. While handling these tasks with care, I will also be making preparations for future endeavors.”
I think DQ3 is a lock for this year (of course I said that about 2023 too but...). If I were to guess I'd say they also have either a new IP, or (more likely), something Bravely related coming in 2024 as well. To early for TriStrat II.

Team Asano discussion always reels me in ;P Might as well join in on the guessing game then!

Direct in February with the usual "focusing on titles launching in the first half of 20XX". Switch "2" announced between March and May. Release between September and November. And yeah I know, this is the most conservative and boring prediction one could make. You're welcome.

Dragon Quest III Remake is being produced by Team Asano. Just go back to the original announcement video's description. Co-developer was stated to be Amata K.K., unknown whether they still are.

There's a decent chance Asano & Co. have more than one game for next year actually. As per the words he gave Famitsu at their usual year end developer round-up. (Translation courtesy of Gematsu.)

I think DQ3 is a lock for this year (of course I said that about 2023 too but...). If I were to guess I'd say they also have either a new IP, or (more likely), something Bravely related coming in 2024 as well. To early for TriStrat II.

almost 4 years and nothing on this game wonder what is going on

I think there's a good chance they're at least playing around with the idea. One of the My Nintendo missions not that long ago required you to cross the finish line in F-Zero 99 or something like that, so there's already a framework for recognizing specific in-game triggers for Switch games beyond just "open this NES game in the NES NSO app"

Of course, if you'd asked me back in like 2016 when missions first debuted in their mobile games, I would have said that was laying the groundwork for a Nintendo achievement system because some of those were incredibly achievement-y (ie. clear world 1 in Mario Run, world 2, etc), so what do I know
when i was playing fire emblem engage i found an achievements page in-game 🤔

Chances are it was announced with a vertical slice and they had only barely started working on the project. At worse development troubles. Though I want to look at it positively so I'll say the former.

Horii brings up the game every now and then so they are working on it no doubt. It's not on hold or anything. At which point one might as well chalk it up to "modern game development takes time". (Which is always true!)
Waiting for Nintendo to pick up the publishing/marketing costs
I'd bet it's a Square Enix published, multiplatform game actually. Ready to be proven wrong.

EDIT: keep in mind that recent DQ titles were self published by SE and that the last Asano game also was (and was multiplat). That said, for a game of this caliber Nintendo could be definitely considering throwing money at Square for exclusivity.

Last edited:
Anybody expects another Asano game in this Direct? They have become annual series now, there has been one Asano game each year for past 3 years. We might see another here, be it Bravely 3 or Triangle 2. There are enough studios out there for Asano to work with.
It's a toss-up to me; for a while it's been common to see a new Team Asano game announced during the Spring Direct, but we didn't see one at all last year outside of the previous announced Octopath Traveler II. I wouldn't be surprised if they have already moved onto the successor with only the DQIII remake left for the Switch.
I don't think Asano is working on that one. 2DHD is for everyone to use, I think.
Only Team Asano has used the HD2D moniker and aesthetic.

I'd be willing to bet they hadn't even really started work on the game when it was announced and this one trailer is really just a proof of concept video. They announced this and XII way too early to try and have some big announcements for the 35th anniversary stream.

I’m considering the possibility that Switch 2’s release will mean the end of Directs. I know that sounds crazy, but hear me out.

Nintendo is a company that’s not afraid to go through changes in their public image, and I think it’s possible that they’ll want to move past “Directs” as a marketing device with the launch of a new generation. Just look at how the Direct branding went under a massive shift as soon as Switch released. Prior to Switch, Directs put a larger focus on dev interviews, skits and gags, and occasionally had segments filmed around the Nintendo offices IIRC. As soon as Switch came out, they switched (haha) to the much more formal style we see today, with the red background and branding, and got a new logo that has stuck around to this day. They feel much more professional now. I’m not saying that’s a good or bad thing; I’m just pointing out the objective changes. The Directs of 2017-present are very different from those released prior to Switch; in fact, the biggest thing they have in common is the name “Nintendo Direct”.

I’m wondering if Nintendo may want to ditch the “Direct” format altogether as they head into the new generation, especially with how many other gaming companies have started creating their own versions of Directs thanks to Nintendo’s format’s popularity. They might want to separate themselves from the online slideshow-style presentation that is now seemingly standard for video game companies, and advertise upcoming games in a new way (think 2020’s “Twitter drops”. Obviously that was different circumstances but it’s just an example of different marketing.)

Now I hear you: Directs are super popular, so why would they ditch the branding now? See, that’s what I WOULD say, but a huge part of Nintendo’s strategy is its unpredictability and continual innovation. They’ve done so many things in the last few years that seemingly make no sense that I wouldn’t put it past them to ditch Directs at the peak of their popularity.

The main point here is that Nintendo may want to overhaul their marketing style again after Switch 2’s release, just as they did when Switch released. (Note that I really want Directs to stick around; this is speculation not a hope of mine. I love Directs and don’t want them to disappear, but thought this could make a good point of discussion)
if Nintendo Direct is gone, how Nintendo is gonna market it games, third parties e Indies coming to Nintendo Switch e future consoles of them?

If that's true, delay of DQ3 would be even more puzzling. Asano is an incredibly productive developer, extended dev time for a remake of an old title feels unusual with him in charge.

I'm still hoping for an extra surprise announcement with DQ3 re-reveal. Like, DQ3 will be dated for summer but DQ4 2D HD is coming right after 3. Something like that.

Since we are in the New Year now, I’m curious if anyone wants to join me and start putting together some calendar predictions to get discussion rolling. You can keep it easy and just do April, May, June, or go through the whole year. I’ll take a stab at one.

Jan - Another Code
Feb - Mario Vs DK
March - Peach
April - Splatoon Side Order
May - Fire Emblem Genealogy
June - Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door + New Tomodachi
July - New Donkey Kong
Aug - Luigi’s Mansion 2
Sep - Switch 2 with exclusive New 3D Mario and cross gen Prime 4
Oct - Some cross gen party game
Nov - Pokemon BW Remakes cross gen
Dec - Xenoblade X Definitive Edition Switch 2 Exclusive

I’m feeling good-ish on my guesses here for the most part though maybe you swap the party game and Prime 4? I only listed one game for October and November, but I expect them to get two Nintendo games ultimately even if I’m having trouble guessing them exactly now. I want to say Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD are both showing up sooner than later, but maybe Pokemon carries the holiday for Switch 1 well enough with cross gen Prime 4?

So, without any teases thus far to work with, for the Direct then unless it ends on a Switch 2 tease that I halfway think is happening and halfway trying to will into existence, I’m currently guessing we’ll see Fire Emblem Genealogy, new Tomodachi, and new Donkey Kong as the big announcements. If we get the brief Switch 2 tease, new 3D Mario and Prime 4 get teased.

This year is kind of easy to predict until the Switch 2 releases. I'm pretty sure that we already know most of what is coming on Switch 1 now. Also, there aren't any DLC surprises out there from recent games unless Nintendo gives us a Super Luigi Bros Wonder set.

Jan- Another Code
Feb- Mario vs DK
March- Princess Peach Showtime
April- Twilight Princess/Wind Waker
May- Splatoon Side Order/Paper Mario TTYD
June- Fire Emblem Geneology
July- Splatoon 3: Side Order
Aug- Metroid Prime 4
Sept- Switch 2 w/ 3D Mario
Oct- New IP
Nov- Mario Party / Pokemon (maybe)
Dec- Donkey Kong 2D

Well, so far Asano games are released at Q1 each year.
Bravely 2 - February 2021
Triangle - March 2022
Octopath 2 - March 2023

So, its possible there isn’t any game prepared for this year. Unless we get a surprise Bravely 3DS HD remaster shadowdropping (or very short time window) next month or so direct.

In addition, I think they will announce a new IP (temporal) exclusive to Switch 2 being an Action RPG that is an homenage to old school games like Secret of Mana. It will have a 2D-HD artstyle with much larger scoop due to new HW. Its aiming for a Q1 2025 release and will be revealed at first Switch 2 SW presentation.

From Asano himself

so there's something planned to be released for sure. I wouldn't mind a new Bravely tbh, a 3 year-gap from the last one seems reasonable.

Or yeah, DQ3...it's about time.

so there's something planned to be released for sure. I wouldn't mind a new Bravely tbh, a 3 year-gap from the last one seems reasonable.

It can easily something be like Bravely 3DS remaster (I know people here would be very excited but its just a small announcement really), DQ3 Remake as 2024 titles and then the announcement of a new IP exclusive to Switch 2 for early 2025.

If that's true, delay of DQ3 would be even more puzzling. Asano is an incredibly productive developer, extended dev time for a remake of an old title feels unusual with him in charge.

I'm still hoping for an extra surprise announcement with DQ3 re-reveal. Like, DQ3 will be dated for summer but DQ4 2D HD is coming right after 3. Something like that.

Not wanting to release it between Dragon Quest Treasure and Dragon Monsters The Dark Prince makes sense, and not too close to DQM TDP in 2024 as well. You don't want to disgust people with too many games from the same IP. I'm fine with them taking all the time they need with DQ3, it's a beloved games from longtime fans and it should be as good as it can possibly be.

Has Nate known about Mini Directs coming or is it only General Directs?
Nate (and other insiders/journalists) only knows that a presentation is coming or not. He doesn’t know until very near the date what type of presentation is (Mini, General, Partner Showcase).

Chances are it was announced with a vertical slice and they had only barely started working on the project. At worse development troubles. Though I want to look at it positively so I'll say the former.

Horii brings up the game every now and then so they are working on it no doubt. It's not on hold or anything. At which point one might as well chalk it up to "modern game development takes time". (Which is always true!)

I'd bet it's a Square Enix published, multiplatform game actually. Ready to be proven wrong.

EDIT: keep in mind that recent DQ titles were self published by SE and that the last Asano game also was (and was multiplat). That said, for a game of this caliber Nintendo could be definitely considering throwing money at Square for exclusivity.
I meant more along the lines of the Live a Live port: Nintendo published/marketed but not an exclusive/timed exclusive

This is going to sound ridiculous but the first person combat really puts me off. I want to see my characters attack - I know it seems silly but it just irks me and is why I don't play the old DQ games.

I meant more along the lines of the Live a Live port: Nintendo published/marketed but not an exclusive/timed exclusive
You're misremembering. The LaL remake was an exclusive (of course timed, as all major 3rd party exclusives are these days).

Again, DQ3 could be Nintendo published and/or exclusive. Personally I think it'll be neither, though I could see it be an exclusive if Nintendo sees value in moneyhatting it. Which yeah, there's value to that, especially in Japan.

Directs work at building hype

Until they have something that’s better at building hype they will keep the direct
coJ43K9.jpeg

5q88sh5.jpeg

Does anyone think it's likely they will finally add achievements to Switch 2? I need a reason to replay all these old games.
I’d like to see a mix between achievements, 3DS activity log and miiverse stamp.

Nintendo is unpredictable but if they really want to focus on building a longterm relationship through Nintendo account an achievement system it’s almost an obligation imho.

As long as it's easy to immediately turn off those notifications when first setting up the system, Nintendo can do whatever they want with cheevos/trophies/shrooms/whatever they'll be called

Nothing breaks immersion for me more and I loathe whenever it's forced upon me

Could totally see Nintendo coast through the year without switch 2. Even though I totally expect it, it’s not like they couldn’t get by with Prime 4, a new Pokémon, a Mario Party or something, and a bunch of remasters

Come to think of it, 2018 only had 4 original games excluding labo, so it’s not even an unreasonable number

Here's a big theory that I have:

Lego Mario started in 2020. That same year, we saw a bunch of Mario stuff come out through that Mario 35th anniversary direct, including 3D All Stars releasing like 2 weeks later.

We are getting Lego Animal Crossing in March. We could very well see something Animal Crossing related this year come to the Switch. Definitely not a new game, but I think odds are good that we see something Animal Crossing related in the next direct. Maybe New Leaf gets the Luigi's Mansion 2 treatment?

Last year at the February Direct we got Baten Kaitos remasters.

So... how are we feeling for Xenosaga trilogy? Namco has been super on point with their remasters and this got to be the biggest one right? I say it's likely and should target around fall this year.

to be fair we have also seen that these smaller RPGs from Square usually sell better when Nintendo is handling the Marketing, especially how stuff like Octopath 1 Triangle Strategy and live A live sold much better than bravley default 2,Octopath 2, NEO TWEWY

Last year at the February Direct we got Baten Kaitos remasters.

So... how are we feeling for Xenosaga trilogy? Namco has been super on point with their remasters and this got to be the biggest one right? I say it's likely and should target around fall this year.
If they do anything with Xenosaga it'll be directly from Monolith and likely not be direct HD remasters. I don't think they plan on just porting the games as they are especially if they want to link it to Xenoblade as that'd require a lot of reworking for three games that sold poorly (redubbing with new VAs, graphics overhaul for 3 games and 30+ hrs of cutscenes, and new combat systems considering 2's combat was critically panned + story changes).

We either get a full blown Xenosaga remake/reimagining that reworks the story/gameplay to link to Xenoblade from Monolith or straight up ports like Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos that likely won't connect Saga to Blade. That being said I don't expect any Xeno game to release next year, the most we will get is an announcement of something for 2025 at either the Switch 2 presentation or at a direct towards the end of the year.

can't remember who but i know one square dev mentioned wanting to remake DQ1-6 using the backbone of DQ3HD

Could you imagine if Nintendo didn’t hold any directs, stopped tweeting, didn’t release any games beyond the ones currently announced, and didn’t market any upcoming games, and one day they just dropped off switch 2 cases with a new 3D Mario at stores? How would you all react

If they do anything with Xenosaga it'll be directly from Monolith and likely not be direct HD remasters. I don't think they plan on just porting the games as they are especially if they want to link it to Xenoblade as that'd require a lot of reworking for three games that sold poorly (redubbing with new VAs, graphics overhaul for 3 games and 30+ hrs of cutscenes, and new combat systems considering 2's combat was critically panned + story changes).

We either get a full blown Xenosaga remake/reimagining that reworks the story/gameplay to link to Xenoblade from Monolith or straight up ports like Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos that likely won't connect Saga to Blade. That being said I don't expect any Xeno game to release next year, the most we will get is an announcement of something for 2025 at either the Switch 2 presentation or at a direct towards the end of the year.
I mean, they can do both. Just HD remasters for three games on Switch and if they sell enough a full remake for the successor. Don't forget, they once de-made the first two games once, for DS, exclusive to Japan. Namco is the owner of the series, they can remaster them any number of times they like. They've been on remaster spree and they're not gonna leave any PS2 game in locked in that gen.

We'll definitely have a Namco remaster in this Direct and I think Xenosaga has better chance than others. There aren't many big names left, we have the first 4 .hack games, Tales of the Abyss and Rebirth (maybe the Vita tales titles too?), Nightmare of Druaga, Pac-man World 2. Assuming they'll avoid touching any Tekken, Soul Calibur, Ace Combat and Ridge Racer games.

to be fair we have also seen that these smaller RPGs from Square usually sell better when Nintendo is handling the Marketing, especially how stuff like Octopath 1 Triangle Strategy and live A live sold much better than bravley default 2,Octopath 2, NEO TWEWY
This again? Octopath 2 is literally outselling both TriStrat and LAL. Square Enix isn't letting Nintendo publish their IPs outside of Japan if they can help it as that means giving up a large chunk of profit from the sales of their own games.

(No, before anyone asks, I'm not saying SE has the marketing power or budget that Nintendo does.)
can't remember who but i know one square dev mentioned wanting to remake DQ1-6 using the backbone of DQ3HD
Horii himself said that they wanted to do 1 and 2 in the style as well.

I'm pretty sure Harada already said they weren't working on Xenosaga remasters/remakes due to internal studies showing it wouldn't be profitable so for now I prefer to avoid any hope about Xenosaga, not until it's officially confirmed (which would make me very happy). I know that the end of a certain DLC might mean something is happening but it doesn't mean much. At this point I'd prefer a remake directly by Monolith that'd look gorgeous and would fix some of the issues the original games had.

But hey, we're allowed to dream after we got Baten Kaitos and BK Origins as remasters (glad I bought a copy, wonderful RPGs and Baten Kaitos was my forst Monolith Soft experience)

Xenosaga ports seem like one of those "all but guaranteed" things that'll happen soon. I do feel like they're going to get proper remasters from Monolith Soft if the source code is still kicking around, especially given FR's ending, but we might end up waiting for it longer than we expect.

By comparison, I think Xenoblade X is going to happen fairly soon, like... launch year of the Switch 2 honestly.

I do want to bring up a last question that is... weird to discuss for most people. What about Xenogears?
So, the main roadblock with that being a remake is a pair of problems. The main one is probably what Nintendo/Monolith Soft wants from a remake (let's be honest, a remaster is out of the question) is a fair bit of creative control so they can fix issues that Takahashi would have with the original, while also potentially tying into the Xenoblade series reasonably seamlessly if they want to. The other is just... Square Enix is a weird company that might want to do their own things, but there's a chance it might go alright because several major creatives at Square (namely Tetsuya Nomura whom famously was mentored by Takahashi) might help get the game made with proper creative intent?

It's a very odd situation, but I honestly don't mind the direction that the series may end up going in. As long as it's interesting and tells a good story, I can live with it.

Lego Mario started in 2020. That same year, we saw a bunch of Mario stuff come out through that Mario 35th anniversary direct, including 3D All Stars releasing like 2 weeks later.

We are getting Lego Animal Crossing in March. We could very well see something Animal Crossing related this year come to the Switch. Definitely not a new game, but I think odds are good that we see something Animal Crossing related in the next direct. Maybe New Leaf gets the Luigi's Mansion 2 treatment?
I'd lose my shit. Unfortunately though, I don't believe next year is any sort of anniversary for Animal Crossing, and DK didn't get any new product when his Lego set came out.

I have a feeling we will get animal crossing 6 launch year of switch 2, spin-off this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom