• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST 13 Oct 2022| Our First Famiversary!

Which of the following October games will you be buying?

• Persona 5 Royal

Votes: 117 37.7%
  • Bayonetta 3

Votes: 181 58.4%
  • Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope

Votes: 122 39.4%
  • NieR:Automata The End Of YoRHa Edition

Votes: 123 39.7%
  • None of the above

Votes: 48 15.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hologram

Gerudo
Founder
Pronouns
He/him
st13_hero.png

Welcome to the 13th Nintendo General Discussion Star Topic! I have the privilege of running this ST during our anniversary month. This first year of Fami has been a wild ride, and I can't imagine a better community to be on that ride with. It might sound like a cliche, but I do truly believe we've built something special here and I cannot wait to see what the future has in store for us.

With that said (and with the "favorite memories from the first year of Famiboards" topic being covered last month in @xghost777's excellent ST), I will kindly ask you all answer the following question:

What should the second year of Famiboards look like?

Don't hold back. Part of what makes this site so special is how community-driven it is, so nothing is off-limits. Event ideas, feature ideas, layout ideas, community ideas; tell us what you think would make this wonderful site even better! (I should point out I am now officially not on staff anymore so please don't think of this as a replacement for the moderation and site feedback threads lol)

What's new?

September had the first Nintendo Direct since February, and depending on who you asked, it was either awesome, terrible, or somewhere in between (like every Direct, I guess). Some of the biggest announcements included the following:
  • A new mainline Fire Emblem game called Fire Emblem Engage was announced, and it's launching on Janurary 20th, 2023. That's really soon! Personally, this was probably my favorite announcement of the Direct - I loved Three Houses and this was a really meaty trailer showing off a lot of improvements, particularly with the visuals.
  • Pikmin 4 lives! After an honestly obnoxiously long section about the mobile game Pikmin Bloom, Miyamoto (re)confirmed that Pikmin 4 is real and will be releasing next year. While we didn't see any gameplay, we learned that there will be a new camera angle (i.e. closer to the Pikmin). This one was also really exciting!
  • The sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild finally gets a title and a release date (May 12th, 2023). To me, this trailer was actually a bit whatever, but it's wonderful knowing when it's coming and not having to call the game BOTW2 anymore. (Plus, did we maybe learn the date of the new hardware? 😉)
  • Several games got updates about their upcoming (free or paid) DLC, including Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Splatoon 3, Mario Strikers: Battle League, Mario Kart 8, and Nintendo Switch Sports.
  • As usual, the Switch will get a handful of late ports, such as Tunic, Sifu, and It Takes Two.
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe, an enhanced port of the 2011 Wii game, will be coming to Switch on February 24th, 2023.
  • And of course, we discovered that the Switch is truly a farming sim console now.

What's coming up?

I'm glad you asked!

st13_games.png

There are other games coming out this month, including No Man's Sky, New Tales from the Borderlands, and Resident Evil Village (Cloud Version), but I'm going to focus on the above four big hitters:

• Persona 5 Royal: this one is probably one of the most wanted ports on Switch - due in no small part to the inclusion of its protagonist in Super Smash Bros Ultimate and the fact its semi-sequel is already on the platform - and it's finally here!
  • Bayonetta 3: she's back! Almost five years after the initial announcement and eight years since the release of the last game in the series, we finally have the next entry in the Bayonetta series. Hope you're ready to destroy some kaiju.
  • Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope: The crossover which really should not work but inexplicably does is getting a sequel, with the grid being replaced by distance-based movement and freaking Rayman being added as DLC.
  • NieR:Automata The End Of YoRHa Edition: another one that people have been clamoring to get on Switch. A mish-mash of genres with some unusual story-telling devices and way too many "endings", this is sure to be a hit on the Switch.

What about in the non-gaming world?

Really? You know what thread / board / site you're on right? Uhhh okay. Halloween is coming up. Everyone loves Halloween right? If you're in the Northern Hemisphere, it's well and truly autumn / fall by now, and for many people that means pumpkin spice season! But I believe we already have a thread for that.

That's it, then?

Look, no one told me I'd have to talk non-Nintendo stuff. This thread is very strict about staying on-topic, surely you all know that!

Before I end, I want to pay tribute to several people. First of all, big thanks to @Derachi for the above two graphics, I am not a Photoshop guy, and it was incredibly helpful for you to volunteer to pizzazz up my thread. Secondly, I want to shout out STs past:

ST 1 October 2021 Nintendo General Discussion by @mazi
ST 2 November 2021 Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V The Dub Way, or… by @Derachi
ST 3 December 2021 Topical Threes by @Suswave
ST 4 January 2022 Resurrections by @Skittzo
ST 5 February 2022 Xenodelayed Chronicles 3 by @Dardan Sandiego
ST 6 March 2022 Marchful Mode by @EvilChameleon
ST 7 April 2022 Launch Timing Update For ST7 Sequel by @EvilChameleon
ST 8 May 2022 Prime Real E-ST8 by @Barely Able
ST 9 June 2022 This is Miyamoto. Have a fun summer! by @Irene
ST 10 July 2022 Julyve A Live by @Plum
ST 11 August 2022 Everybody’s 11-12 Discussion Thread by @Legion of Primes
ST 12 September 2022 Trails From Splatoon 03 by @xghost777

I also want to thank the OPs of the NintendoEra OTs, which preceded this series. I'm sure you would all agree that this series - and this site! - would not exist without them.

Finally, I want to shout out my fellow departing mods. @blondkayvon, @BozPaggs, and @Donnie all leave today, @mazi stepped down a few weeks ago, and I of course ended my tenure just a few days ago. It wasn't smooth sailing by any means, but I really cannot overstate how much of a pleasure it was working with you all and I am so privileged to be able to call you all friends. Of course, this includes @Aurc, @Harina and @paranoodle, who joined later and I believe are all staying on. It goes without saying that I have complete faith in you and all the new recruits, and I hope you are able to continue doing your part in making this site great.

And with that, all that's left to say is...
FMuRXlBXsAsnB34

...and am out

Woo-hoo! I'm happy this site exist! I'm not as active because I am trying to lose weight (I have lost like 50 pounds) but I always check this site daily.

Awesome ST @hologram it’s going to be a great month! Very excited for Bayonetta 3 and Mario and Rabbids 2 especially!

Happy Famiversary Fami!

By the way, I'm super proud of my sign-off. I managed to do a 13 pun, a New York reference, and an old NintendoEra reference all in one go!

Amazing work on the thread, @hologram !

In terms of game releases, this month is surprisingly packed for me. Obviously, I am interested in Mario + Rabbids 2 and Bayonetta 3.

But I'm also tempted to double-dip on the Switch ports for Nier Automata and Life is Strange: Arcadia Bay.

Still playing Xenoblade 3. But also a few other games, including NieR Replicant and Cyberpunk 2077

Great ST holo. Hopefully we get some good feedback and kick off this site's second year in style.

the only big October game in skipping is Mario + Rabbids. As much as I hate to say it, Ubisoft's game prices crash hard and fast. Bet I can get it for $20 in January.

the only big October game in skipping is Mario + Rabbids. As much as I hate to say it, Ubisoft's game prices crash hard and fast. Bet I can get it for $20 in January.
Same here. Also I haven’t played more than a couple hours of the first one so if I’m itching for that kind of game, I already got that one.

I'm probably getting Mario Rabbids at some point, but currently I have eyes for nothing but Star Ocean 6, no other games exist in October as far as I'm concerned.

Happy Famiversary and, while it's not quite October where I am yet, happy October to all.

Hoping I can get back to being more engaged with the website, but illness and life stuff making it difficult. It's a great month for new and old software on Switch, though, making a great 2022 even better.

Looking forward to starting Splatoon 3 this weekend, too.

Edit - I'm getting Nier Automata, Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope, and Bayonetta 3 this month. Probably my last purchases till FE Engage in January, but I might resub to Game Pass to play Tunic and perhaps other indies. Time is the issue, though!

Threw open my window in my living room because it smells like leaves and october outside. Comfy weather for Banjo-Kazooie or some other older games.

alright, time for me to finally write a few threads
Wait they're not even written yet

It's me I'm here in a general thread finally! I've always felt kind of intimidated as an outsider -and- a member of staff but now that I'm retired I'm jumping in!

My next purchases are:
Mario+Rabbids
Bayonetta 3
Pokémon Dualpack
Fire Emblem Engage Divine Edition

I decided to wait until a nice discount for GoWR

New thread smell, XD
Also since I got delayed on my departure
Behold, my anime collection! I think I’m one more batch away from no longer being able to do a table pic(my normal storage spot isn’t conducive to pics)
IMG_5899.jpg

IMG_5902.jpg

The original batch or two I got was in anticipation of a couple months of crappy internet, but nowadays i mains just add faves and stuff with weird licensing that means it jumps around or isn’t streaming often(like Giant Robo, Getter and Nadia). Got almost everything on sale too. Need to poke around and see what I want to grab in the next big RSA sale

Mmmmm that new October thread smell. Smells like wet leaves and pumpkin spice.

Excellent OP @hologram and thank you very much to @xghost777 for the previous thread (which closed much earlier than I expected).

Awww yeah, October vibes are strong. Gimme all the pumpkin flavoured stuff, I've been waiting for this all year long.

Well that sucks, my trips off, they aren’t leaving till tomorrow, and I have to be back in person for an interview Monday morning. No point to waste gas when I’d have to spend half of it on the fixes on my todo list. I think I’m gonna make a half a pizza and watch something, then I’ll either paint, do a kit or play Xenoblade(or some mix). I’ll save the ice cream for tomorrow

Anniversary thread! Well done, holo.

New month, new games for my backlog. I'm in the final chapter of Xenoblade 3 and will start Trails soon after that. Persona and Nier have to wait unfortunately.

This is the thread where we finally see the Mario movie.
But do we actually want to?

Ah, new Anniversary smell. Great ST!

I...actually won't be buying many games this month! I never beat the first Mario + Rabbids, and I got a lot of backlog to get through. Gotta be ready for Pokémon in November.
By the way, I'm super proud of my sign-off. I managed to do a 13 pun, a New York reference, and an old NintendoEra reference all in one go!
You  should be proud. Seeing that end the thread took me out hard lol

WOOOOO happy anniversary everyone!

I know I’ve posted it like twice but since it’s relevant to the thread…

bkmqMCo.png
Keep it coming! I really love seeing your Grögol updates, and this is amazing, as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom