• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST 13 Oct 2022| Our First Famiversary!

Which of the following October games will you be buying?

• Persona 5 Royal

Votes: 117 37.7%
  • Bayonetta 3

Votes: 181 58.4%
  • Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope

Votes: 122 39.4%
  • NieR:Automata The End Of YoRHa Edition

Votes: 123 39.7%
  • None of the above

Votes: 48 15.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i feel bad talking in a thread where the op has a cat pfp
love-dog-pets.gif

games I plan on playing:
  • Dead Cells β€” it finally clicked for me
  • Shovel Knight Dig
  • Tunic β€” though my initial impressions are mixed
  • Life Is Strange β€” I’ve tried the iPad version in the past and am looking forward to playing on Switch, though I can’t tell if I’ll truly enjoy the setup or not. but… gay
as for games I’m picking up…

mmmm I don’t know! and maybe the thread should help me out with what I’m debating here!
  • Persona 5 β€” I’m curious but I have a low tolerance for homophobia, transphobia, and several kinds of anime bullshit (while loving other kinds of anime bullshit)
  • Nier Automata β€” I’m even more curious about this one but some things I’ve heard in passing sound like creep shit… so again, iffy
  • Mario & the Rabbids Fuck Off to Space β€” it looks beautiful! god damn! but I keep trying the first one and I’m struggling to enjoy the gameplay. Plus… I’m somewhat fundamentally against the concept of the rabbids
  • Bayonetta 3 β€” shit looks zany but I’m still having a really hard time being sold on β€œour empowered woman lead is so empowered because she’s a naked hair golem by choice, quippy with guns, and makes puns about orgasms” as a central gag
it’s entirely possible I’ve very unfairly sidelined all of these games β€” so prove me wrong! and / or tell me it’s actually much worse than I think

I’m a themme of taste, conviction, and standards, but I’m big on fun and willing to be wrong

i feel bad talking in a thread where the op has a cat pfp
I challenge the presumed cat / dog dichotomy as I challenge most arbitrary dichotomies

also @hologram I’m losing it at that OMNY thing!!

I'm in this "too much shit to play, but not really in the mood for any of it" phase right now, so I think I will just replay Metroid Dread again for its upcoming anniversary, followed by replays of Bayo 1 and 2 in anticipation of 3.

my splatoon plaza is full of osomatsu posts

we are in some sort of strange raccoon-themed timeline, buckle up everyone

Hiiiii!!! Happy Famiversay, everyone!! So excited to be here! I’m Ashley, a Midwest native and transplant to the Bay Area. Also friends of @bellydrum (thanks for sharing this with me!!) πŸ–€ I’ve been a lover of Nintendo since my PokΓ©mon x original Game Boy days, and now continue to play through the Switch. Of course you can catch me (or catch β€˜em lol) playing PokΓ©mon, but I’m also very passionate about Splatoon. If you’re a fellow squid, add me and let’s splat: SW-2614-1798-6785. Other games I frequent or love include Overcooked, Undertale and Deltarune, Everhood, Doki Doki Literature Club, Mario Kart, Omori, and probably more that I can’t think of right now. Always down to play anything, anytime!

Outside of games, I also have a cute dog and fat cat. I work in tech and shoot band photography. And I love homemade pasta :) Say β€œhi!” and let’s play!

mmmm I don’t know! and maybe the thread should help me out with what I’m debating here!
  • Persona 5 β€” I’m curious but I have a low tolerance for homophobia, transphobia, and several kinds of anime bullshit (while loving other kinds of anime bullshit)
  • Nier Automata β€” I’m even more curious about this one but some things I’ve heard in passing sound like creep shit… so again, iffy
  • Mario & the Rabbids Fuck Off to Space β€” it looks beautiful! god damn! but I keep trying the first one and I’m struggling to enjoy the gameplay. Plus… I’m somewhat fundamentally against the concept of the rabbids
  • Bayonetta 3 β€” shit looks zany but I’m still having a really hard time being sold on β€œour empowered woman lead is so empowered because she’s a naked hair golem by choice, quippy with guns, and makes puns about orgasms” as a central gag
it’s entirely possible I’ve very unfairly sidelined all of these games β€” so prove me wrong! and / or tell me it’s actually much worse than I think

I’m a themme of taste, conviction, and standards, but I’m big on fun and willing to be wrong
Bayonetta is a little easier to enjoy if you just treat it as camp, but I don't know if that'll really be enough to offset the other stuff for you. Personally I managed to get past that with that framing (and some friends who liked the game but weren't weird about it), but then it turned out I don't like the gameplay anyway, oops.

P5 and Nier, from what I've played of them and what you're saying, doesn't sound like you'd enjoy them, and for similar reasons as me. Nier is a bit of a coin toss as to whether it's deep or infuriating (what I've seen puts me squarely in the second category, though to be entirely fair I never felt like meeting it halfway), and the creep shit is inescapable because it's baked in as far down as the character designs and some of the basic gameplay mechanics. P5 has some real issues with homophobia and misogyny (and bizarrely enough, tried to patch the homophobia out only to accidentally replace it with a different flavor of homophobia) but from what I understand is more palatable between those incidents. I didn't get to play very much of it though because I have a hard time reading the interface and it gives me a headache after a couple minutes.

Rabbids I have no idea how the second one will play, but yeah if you're not really enjoying the first one it's probably a pass? At least that opens up more time/money for some of the other games though!

games I plan on playing:
  • Dead Cells β€” it finally clicked for me
  • Shovel Knight Dig
  • Tunic β€” though my initial impressions are mixed
  • Life Is Strange β€” I’ve tried the iPad version in the past and am looking forward to playing on Switch, though I can’t tell if I’ll truly enjoy the setup or not. but… gay

It'll be my first time really going through Nier (hopefully) so I can't speak for that one (I've played it before a few times but always give up in a few hours or so because it just doesn't seem to click for me, I'm hoping that on the Switch I can finally get into it, since in general I tend to enjoy JRPGs portable far more than home console). In the period I have played, there isn't anything egregiously sexualized other than the known factors of the character designs. I do know it has some stuff along those lines later, but I did not get to it myself, and can't speak to how, uh, ignorable it is, for lack of a better word (or if not ignorable, then at least something that's minor enough that it doesn't totally mar your experience).

Persona 5 I do have a lot of experience with, so that I can answer. Based on what you have said, if it was Persona 5 vanilla that we were talking about, I would honestly have told you to not play it, since it does have some very awful homophobic scenes, there is no defending or justifying or excusing them. Persona 5 Royal, the one that is coming to the Switch, tries to nullify them. The localization was redone for this release, and it takes the opportunity to redo the originally homophobic scenes into being less offensive. It rewrites the dialog in those scenes; the scenes are still there, but the entire dialog has been rewritten from the gay panic "joke" that it was before to being a "joke" about some guys who basically want a character to try on dresses he doesn't want to wear. it's still not a good scene but the blatant and aggressive homophobia is gone, and it is clear that Atlus West did the best they could in terms of making the scene as inoffensive as possible while having to retain the original as is in terms of the visuals (because Atlus Japan sucks in general). And ultimately, those scenes are only a 3-4 minutes in a very long (and otherwise, in my opinion, incredible) game. If this was Persona 5, those 3-4 minutes would still be unjustifiable, because any amount of homophobia is unacceptable, plain and simple, full stop. In Royal, it's 3-4 minutes of bad writing and a scene that is still uncomfortable, but it's no longer wildly and blatantly offensive like the original was. So what I would say is, if that sounds like it is something you can deal with, absolutely get P5R. If you're still not sure, no harm in sitting it out, at least until you can look into it more and be surer about whether or not it might bother you.

Bout to fire up and play some more of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 3: Tears of the Kingdom 2: The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power: Episode 6: UdΓ»n

Hiiiii!!! Happy Famiversay, everyone!! So excited to be here! I’m Ashley, a Midwest native and transplant to the Bay Area. Also friends of @bellydrum (thanks for sharing this with me!!) πŸ–€ I’ve been a lover of Nintendo since my PokΓ©mon x original Game Boy days, and now continue to play through the Switch. Of course you can catch me (or catch β€˜em lol) playing PokΓ©mon, but I’m also very passionate about Splatoon. If you’re a fellow squid, add me and let’s splat: SW-2614-1798-6785. Other games I frequent or love include Overcooked, Undertale and Deltarune, Everhood, Doki Doki Literature Club, Mario Kart, Omori, and probably more that I can’t think of right now. Always down to play anything, anytime!

Outside of games, I also have a cute dog and fat cat. I work in tech and shoot band photography. And I love homemade pasta :) Say β€œhi!” and let’s play!
F5089937-F585-4799-83A8-59AE913808B7.gif

bellydrum's posse on Fami grows πŸ‘€

Welcome! We got a Splatoon 3 thread, threads for PokΓ©mon Scarlet and Violet as well as a general PokΓ©mon thread, and a bunch more. Hope to see you around!

Ah, pasta. I gotta eat dinner soon...

Welcome Ashley! I must warn you, at some point you will have to show me your fat cat
Happy new thread-iversary happy to continue lurking but hope to post more than 5 times a year
We hope you do too!

To any other lurkers out there: I know joining this community can feel intimidating and like it's a bit cliquey and there won't be room for you (source: have been there) but I promise you we are itching to be friends with you
hey ash, whatcha playin?
A+. I still can't quite get over how big she's gotten since those days

Welcome Ashley! I must warn you, at some point you will have to show me your fat cat
Actually yeah, @ashleymelton93:
😁😁😁
To any other lurkers out there: I know joining this community can feel intimidating and like it's a bit cliquey and there won't be room for you (source: have been there) but I promise you we are itching to be friends with you
I mean hell, if I can make the jump..
A+. I still can't quite get over how big she's gotten since those days
She's one of the few people I'm a genuine hipster for

SO MUCH Splatoon 3 right now! It’s basically all I do with my life these days lmao what about you??
One of my besties sent me Kirby and the Forgotten Land as a belated birthday gift so I'm alllll over it. It's one of the kyootest damn things I've ever seen, second only to Marcel The Shell With Shoes On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom