• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic TUNIC |ST| 🦊 🗡️🛡️ | Manual Transmission | Please Tag Spoilers! |

How might one go about comparing this to Breath of the Wild?

Not sure if trolling but I’ll bite.

As far as Zelda games go, it’s more like Links Awakening or Link to the Past. At least for progression and presentation. There are areas you can’t reach without items from other areas, and it’s an isometric 3/4 view. It’s also completely on the player to figure out what to do next and what the items do.

one thing that is a bit 3D Zelda is that you can lock onto enemies and other targets with the left trigger.

Not sure if trolling but I’ll bite.

As far as Zelda games go, it’s more like Links Awakening or Link to the Past. At least for progression and presentation. There are areas you can’t reach without items from other areas, and it’s an isometric 3/4 view. It’s also completely on the player to figure out what to do next and what the items do.

one thing that is a bit 3D Zelda is that you can lock onto enemies and other targets with the left trigger.
...I-I was trolling.

It was joke.

You sound like an IGN or Polygon article comparing Breath of the Wild to something incomparable for the billionth time now.

:p

(I've been making this joke all morning now, in fact.)

ok then. I skimmed the thread here and didn't see you in it before, but now I see your posts in other threads. And yeah I sound like someone comparing BOTW to something that's very not BOTW but hey, you asked for it.

Oh well. play tunic. it's good. Hope it comes to switch too.

I really like the God Mode accessibility feature. It doesn't assist with the sometimes unclear aspects of where you need to go or what to do at times (which I'm okay with, as I love learning new things as I unlock new instruction manual pages), but it makes the more aggravating sections of the game difficulty-wise much more reasonable and enjoyable. Some of the bosses and battle sections are huge jumps in difficulty for me, so I'm glad I can still enjoy the game by turning on the God Mode when needed. :)

It took me most of the week to beat 📚The Librarian. I was definitely figuring out patterns and being patient, but I still don't feel like I ever really understood what to do right or wrong. It came down to random luck, getting a bunch of strikes in and not finding myself in a vulnerable spot. I can't help but compare it to other tough games I've played (Metroid Dread, Cuphead), where it was learnable when I did something right or wrong.

I do still quite enjoy the game and the puzzles though. Out of curiousity, by 🚂 do you mean Siege Engine? Because the area I'm in now has some 🚂s in it, but I'm not sure what to do with them yet.

Oh and totally unrelated, there's a hint in the manual that I'm really excited to figure out. And if my theory pans out, it will totally blow my mind. Don't want to spoil any of that though.

Yep, that's exactly what I was referring to. That was tough for sure.
I found the 🚂 to be harder. It might partially come down to how we've each upgraded our stats. I'm not amazing at boss battles. I did feel like there were patterns with 📚 like with 🚂. The wave of homing bullets to avoid with a roll and/or dash, then a wave of one of two different types of enemies to replenish MP, then the lightning strike to avoid by dashing to the periphery. I used the grappling hook to pull him in and did a few slashes, then ran. The one move I could never properly consistently dodge was the wide arc beam.

I should mention that without the
holding A to run faster after a roll I never would have remotely been able
to beat any boss in this game.

We've been playing the game a whole lot over the past week or so. I really am just in awe of it. As we've gotten closer to the end we're getting deeper into trying to decipher its secrets.

You mentioned there's a hint in the manual that you've been working on and I'm really curious which page it's on if you wanna share that much.

I can say though, we have been spending a lot of time just poring over the pages and trying to work through some of the more oblique aspects of the game. 🗺️🗿 ⬆️ So far we've been able to avoid looking up anything and I really want to keep it that way as long as possible.

About a week ago we hit a point in the game 🕯️ that was so difficult I honestly did not think I was going to be able to get past it. But with practice we were able to figure out
the ideal order to "light the candles" in
and with more practice got through it. That was for sure one of the most difficult parts of the game so far.

I don't want to spoil anything for you or anyone else reading this. I just want to say the game gives me such a constant sense of joy, immersion and wonder. It has flavors of a lot of Zelda games but also it really taps into that childlike feeling that there are things buried deep in the game that are way beyond your initial comprehension of what the game is. It reminds me of being a kid playing OoT and Link's Awakening and even Pokémon and wondering what obscure secrets were hidden in corners of the game's world.

I'm not sure if we'll be able to solve everything in this game without looking it up but I hope we can solve as much as possible. I don't mean to be hyperbolic or anything but I'm honestly finding it mind-blowing and satisfying when we figure out something really out there in this game. Reminds me of figuring out an obscure solution in a game like Zack and Wiki or Broken Age. Except there's no "adventure game" logic at play.

The use of the manual for
storytelling and world building at perfectly timed moments
is genius, too.

I'm really excited to see this community's reaction to the game if it eventually comes to Switch. I think fans of Nintendo games will love it. And it's funny what came up about BOTW before, even as a joke, because there are definitely some similarities to that game the further into this game that we get. Like, the way BOTW uses the environment to craft and depict puzzles built into the game world itself, like in the Shrine Quests. There's definitely some similar stuff at play in Tunic.

Ok I'll stop gushing for now. 😄

You mentioned there's a hint in the manual that you've been working on and I'm really curious which page it's on if you wanna share that much.

It's on page 51 and says "Shhh...". I haven't figured out exactly what to do or where to do it, but when I saw it I thought

Wow, is this a nod to StarTropics? I have to dip a letter in water.

And then I tried

I don't have physical paper so maybe I need to stand in the water and open the in-game manual to this page for 60 seconds? I tried that but it didn't do anything. But maybe there's a different paper to collect and a certain spot to go. There's a star in the drawing, so I still don't know I've cracked this. But it's exciting to think of all the possibilities

I can say though, we have been spending a lot of time just poring over the pages and trying to work through some of the more oblique aspects of the game. 🗺️🗿 ⬆️ So far we've been able to avoid looking up anything and I really want to keep it that way as long as possible.

About a week ago we hit a point in the game 🕯️ that was so difficult I honestly did not think I was going to be able to get past it. But with practice we were able to figure out
and with more practice got through it. That was for sure one of the most difficult parts of the game so far.

I don't want to spoil anything for you or anyone else reading this. I just want to say the game gives me such a constant sense of joy, immersion and wonder. It has flavors of a lot of Zelda games but also it really taps into that childlike feeling that there are things buried deep in the game that are way beyond your initial comprehension of what the game is. It reminds me of being a kid playing OoT and Link's Awakening and even Pokémon and wondering what obscure secrets were hidden in corners of the game's world.

I'm not sure if we'll be able to solve everything in this game without looking it up but I hope we can solve as much as possible. I don't mean to be hyperbolic or anything but I'm honestly finding it mind-blowing and satisfying when we figure out something really out there in this game. Reminds me of figuring out an obscure solution in a game like Zack and Wiki or Broken Age. Except there's no "adventure game" logic at play.

The use of the manual for
storytelling and world building at perfectly timed moments
is genius, too.

I'm really excited to see this community's reaction to the game if it eventually comes to Switch. I think fans of Nintendo games will love it. And it's funny what came up about BOTW before, even as a joke, because there are definitely some similarities to that game the further into this game that we get. Like, the way BOTW uses the environment to craft and depict puzzles built into the game world itself, like in the Shrine Quests. There's definitely some similar stuff at play in Tunic.

Ok I'll stop gushing for now. 😄

Totally feel the same way. I'm trying to make my way through without looking anything up, because the discovery is so rewarding. I think keeping it to hints discussion here rather than a TUNIC FULL WALKTHROUGH ALL ITEMS 100% video is the best way to experience a game like this. But for now, back to playing. I've got a boss to defeat and I still haven't reached 🕯️. Onward!

Wonder if this could drop during the indie world. Probably too early?
Man, I sure wish that would be the case. April and May are looking pretty barren for the Switch as far as my tastes go. I could sure use some indies like this one, Oxenfree 2, and Outer Wilds to play during this stretch of the year.

Last edited:
Man, I sure wish that would be the case. April and May are looking pretty barren for the Switch as far as my tastes go. I could sure use some indies like this one, Oxenfree 2, and Outer Wild to play during this stretch of the year.
I recommend Ocean's Heart, it's another game that's been favourably compared to 2D Zelda titles from the past.

I've really been enjoying the game and digging into some of the deeper secrets. Haven't technically beaten it yet, but I am pretty much at the end and just trying to find as many secrets as I can on my own before I complete it.

I also made this little tool to help translate the script within the game. There are obviously some spoilers if you go digging through the manual and the game is probably better experienced without knowing everything, but for me, once I got to the end I find it fun to look through the manual and read all of the little details.

Hey @Joedev, that's really rad that you made that. I haven't checked it out yet for spoiler avoidance but that's super cool.

I'm really close to achieving RP* but it's going to take a few more tries. I'm hoping to still be able to obtain E after.

*Not the character from Mr. Mayor

I’m here now and I hate everything.

I’m here now and I hate everything.
You can do it! There's an ideal order for sure that makes it much more doable. It seemed impossible at first. With practice it's surprisingly not as Impossible as it seemed. And to be clear since I now realize there are multiple meanings for 🕯️ I mean the one involving fighting enemies. I think that's the same one you mean. You got this! 😄

Yesterday evening, after several days of patience, thought and poring over the manual, we finally successfully cracked
the runic language.
I really have to thank you again @Joedev for confirming there was a page we didn't have yet that would point us in the right direction.

It took a great deal of time, patience, thought, collaboration between me and my spouse (definitely couldn't have done it on my own) and bouncing back after false starts. I am so happy and satisfied now and am working my way through
translating the manual and dialogue
. We still have a bunch of major things to figure out and do in the game.
Including
most of the translating, since I've only translated a few pages so far.
But I'm really elated and am so interested to get to see this. Just wanted to share my joy with y'all. This is a really special game.

Another user and I were discussing previously that reviewers should have mentioned upfront that they had access to a discord server to help each other and get hints from the devs. I can see why that would have been crucial given the limited time window reviewers have to play a game and given the devs naturally want the reviewers to experience much of the game.

So, this is just my plea to new players to read as little as possible about the game going in, and if your the kind of player who prefers to figure things out on their own, to resist the urge to look up a solution, because for me that is making the experience all the more special.

That being said, for accessibility purposes, it's wonderful the game has an invincibility mode and that walkthroughs, solutions and secrets are readily available online. I'm all for inclusivity. 🙂

Yesterday evening, after several days of patience, thought and poring over the manual, we finally successfully cracked
the runic language.
I really have to thank you again @Joedev for confirming there was a page we didn't have yet that would point us in the right direction.

It took a great deal of time, patience, thought, collaboration between me and my spouse (definitely couldn't have done it on my own) and bouncing back after false starts. I am so happy and satisfied now and am working my way through
translating the manual and dialogue
. We still have a bunch of major things to figure out and do in the game.
Including
most of the translating, since I've only translated a few pages so far.
But I'm really elated and am so interested to get to see this. Just wanted to share my joy with y'all. This is a really special game.

Another user and I were discussing previously that reviewers should have mentioned upfront that they had access to a discord server to help each other and get hints from the devs. I can see why that would have been crucial given the limited time window reviewers have to play a game and given the devs naturally want the reviewers to experience much of the game.

So, this is just my plea to new players to read as little as possible about the game going in, and if your the kind of player who prefers to figure things out on their own, to resist the urge to look up a solution, because for me that is making the experience all the more special.

That being said, for accessibility purposes, it's wonderful the game has an invincibility mode and that walkthroughs, solutions and secrets are readily available online. I'm all for inclusivity. 🙂
If you're now interested primarily in the end result, there's a fully translated version of the manual in a reddit post that I could find you the link to. Of course, I appreciate that you may be enjoying the process.

If you're now interested primarily in the end result, there's a fully translated version of the manual in a reddit post that I could find you the link to. Of course, I appreciate that you may be enjoying the process.
Thank you for the offer! We were just discussing that last night but agreed it's more satisfying to DIY it. Thankfully I'm getting a bit faster at it with practice and it's definitely illuminating. In particular I really enjoy finally getting to read NPC dialogue.

Have you been enjoying the game, Illusionary? 😃

Thank you for the offer! We were just discussing that last night but agreed it's more satisfying to DIY it. Thankfully I'm getting a bit faster at it with practice and it's definitely illuminating. In particular I really enjoy finally getting to read NPC dialogue.

Have you been enjoying the game, Illusionary? 😃
Oh yes, loving it for the most part! I've not yet beaten it, but very much in the endgame now, and managed to limit my use of no fail mode to just the cathedral (it's off again now). Getting the hang of the first boss after many tries felt so satisfying at the time, but feels a long time ago now!

I'm nothing like as dedicated as you are with the secrets, though, definitely relying on a guide for the endgame. I've got all upgrades and ability cards, just missing one coin, then I'll be going after the Heir before the remaining secrets.

Oh yes, loving it for the most part! I've not yet beaten it, but very much in the endgame now, and managed to limit my use of no fail mode to just the cathedral (it's off again now). Getting the hang of the first boss after many tries felt so satisfying at the time, but feels a long time ago now!

I'm nothing like as dedicated as you are with the secrets, though, definitely relying on a guide for the endgame. I've got all upgrades and ability cards, just missing one coin, then I'll be going after the Heir before the remaining secrets.
So glad to hear that! It's a super tough game at times so I'm really glad that option exists. We've been secret-hunting too but I need to take care of the thing mentioned in your spoiler tags before we finish up too many more of the last secrets. There are some significant collectibles we still haven't located though, so we're doing another sweep of the whole game world with the hope that we find those, to assist with that spoiler-tagged part. I love the game, too. I find myself thinking about it all the time, turning over its most oblique hints in my mind, and puzzling out how to explore some nooks differently than we have already. I don't think a game has captured my imagination like this in quite some time.

You can do it! There's an ideal order for sure that makes it much more doable. It seemed impossible at first. With practice it's surprisingly not as Impossible as it seemed. And to be clear since I now realize there are multiple meanings for 🕯️ I mean the one involving fighting enemies. I think that's the same one you mean. You got this! 😄
I’m still fighting this spot. I looked up a YouTube video and got some strategies but forgot most of them. I’m making some progress but sadly this might be where I give up. I’ve gone from loving and looking forward to this game to dreading the retries. I’ll keep trying for a few more days probably but expect I’ll never get past the 🕯 and not be compelled to keep playing.

I know I could turn off damage but so much of the appeal for me is to face the challenge and meet it.

Update: I had a really good run last night at this and almost got them all. I’m confident I’ll be able to do it.
Yes! Awesome. You can totally do it.

A few tips in case they're helpful:

Do the garden knights first, go straight on the offensive with them, you can get a bunch of hits in. You can get the first one totally gone before the second appears. Getting this one out of the way ensures the hardest bit is done and if you have a good round from there you're golden.

Be sure to have the 🧚 zap each other.

Save the heart refill till you only have the magic candle guys to go. Keep running around to avoid their attacks just like you did with 🚂.

You got this!

Last edited:
Yes! Awesome. You can totally do it.

A few tips in case they're helpful:

Do the garden knights first, go straight on the offensive with them, you can get a bunch of hits in. You can get the first one totally gone before the second appears. Getting this one out of the way ensures the hardest bit is done and if you have a good round from there you're golden.

Be sure to have the 🧚 zap each other.

Save the heart refill till you only have the magic candle guys to go. Keep running around to avoid their attacks just like you did with 🚂.

You got this!
I just did it! F YEAH!

Spoiler below for my strategy

Yeah I did the garden knights first. I knew that they were the biggest threat and if they landed a hit once, they'd probably land the second hit. Actually when the second one appeared, I was able to keep it pinned up in the top corner. I was able to keep slashing and repeatedly interrupted its strikes. So that got pretty easy.

For the 🧚 I was originally trying to run around and have them shoot each other, collecting the blue magic bits every time. But I found this pretty tricky and tedious. The video I watched used the fire rod on them, and that worked pretty well. I topped off magic with a blueberry

The others I figured out the usual strategies. With a couple of the stronger leader-type enemies I cheesed it a little with bombs and the shotgun.

I'm really glad I kept at it and did it. Again, I know I could have saved a lot of frustration by turning off the damage for this fight, but I wanted to play the game as it was designed. And if I couldn't get through it, that would just be my experience.

Last edited:
Niiiice! Awesome! Congrats, @Stupid Sexy Flanders! That's amazing. That was a seriously tough part of the game and one of the toughest in any Zelda or Zelda-like game I've played. Thanks for sharing your strategy, too.
I never knew what to call that fire rod item. I've just been calling it the sceptre, lol
. You've got some seriously awesome rewards coming as a result of that win, one of which I'm sure you immediately got to check out... definitely not a game to rest on its laurels. 🙃

We got an hour or two of play in today, ourselves. Still scouring the map for the minutest remaining secrets remaining. There are still a bunch we're missing, but I think pretty soon we're going to take our R.P. and then finish preparations to S.E. (If I'm getting too vague here, sorry - I'm referring to pages...off the top of my head but I think it's...
45 and 46
). But yeah at this point it's satisfying just to find even one little new thing in an area, just when I think there can't possibly be anything more. I want the experience to last as long as possible so I'm very glad for this justification to keep at it!

Ok, I did it. Phew. Assumed my R.P. I made it a bit harder on myself than I needed to but I just wanted to get it a certain way. It took me a zillion tries but I'm really glad I did it.

We still have a few more secrets to figure out in the game. 🎶

I enjoyed the parts right after the 🕯...

The crown / dash is a ton of fun, and obviously unlocks a bunch of things I couldn't get to before. Though I didn't love the "lose all your powers" thing, I thought the execution of re-claiming them was fun. It didn't click right away that the 🕯 on the map were the hero's grave locations, but once it did I had great fun. My 8-year-old loved it too.

So now with everything recovered, I know I'm still missing some upgrades. I wanted to use my new crown dash to get to places I couldn't before, but much of the map is still blocked off so I haven't found much.

So I'm facing The Heir. Seemed at first like it wasn't going to be that hard, but of course that was only the first phase. And I haven't checked but there's probably three phases 😔.

I enjoyed the parts right after the 🕯...

The crown / dash is a ton of fun, and obviously unlocks a bunch of things I couldn't get to before. Though I didn't love the "lose all your powers" thing, I thought the execution of re-claiming them was fun. It didn't click right away that the 🕯 on the map were the hero's grave locations, but once it did I had great fun. My 8-year-old loved it too.

So now with everything recovered, I know I'm still missing some upgrades. I wanted to use my new crown dash to get to places I couldn't before, but much of the map is still blocked off so I haven't found much.

So I'm facing The Heir. Seemed at first like it wasn't going to be that hard, but of course that was only the first phase. And I haven't checked but there's probably three phases 😔.

Glad to hear you've been enjoying this part!

Did you end up getting the manual
piece on the little platform surrounded by a moat that you can now dash to near the house? The pages you get there really open up the secret things in the game a ton. Like...endless mind-blowing secrets...

As to that part you mentioned, that's what I just finally beat tonight. It is tough, but if you want to make it a bit more doable...

• You might try something alluring. 🧸
  • Putting the enemy on 🧊 temporarily may give you some breathing room to quaff a potion. Just be ready to dash before they thaw.
  • Once you feel like you can dodge a good amount of the attacks, the 🍷 🎴 will cut the battle essentially in half or so because you do so much more damage (and take an equal amount more damage yourself). We also used 🥾, 🌿, 💍.
  • I'm not sure if the berries or ivy are consumed more quickly than potions, but if so I could see those being helpful vs. potions.

Good luck! You got this. It took me many, many tries but I made it harder on myself than I had to.

Good luck! You got this. It took me many, many tries but I made it harder on myself than I had to.

Thanks @Nabbit! I just rolled the credits. Really glad I stuck it out. Not sure if I'll go back and find the rest of the stuff, but it feels great to have done that.

• Nice surprise that it was only two phases (and not three). In the first phase, I cornered them and was able to get tons of hits in. This would happen with the garden knights sometimes in the cathedral. Seems like a bug but hey, it came up during game play so I'm calling it fair play. I fought the second phase clean though!
  • The ice dagger did help, certainly gave me time to get away and potion up. I set the berries to one of my buttons so I could refill this.
  • Otherwise, yeah, just being patient and learning the patterns. The dash was a huge game changer for me.

and after the credits

• I didn't find out until yesterday that I could go to bed and turn the world back to daytime. Once I did that I was able to gather up a couple more manual pages, open the HOLY CROSS doors, and get another health upgrade.
  • After the credits, I learned I missed 5 pages. Didn't know if I should retry or new game +. I just went with retry, since if I do play anymore I'll just want to find the missing stuff instead of starting over at the beginning.
  • There are still a lot of mysteries I don't know about (like the one I mentioned with the letter in water) but I don't know if I'll keep doing this on my own. I'll probably spoil other things online.
  • Out of curiosity, what are RP and SE, @Nabbit?

Just finished the game yesterday (both endings) after being two or three weeks away from my Xbox. It's the kind of game I've grown to love and you can feel the devs also feel something similar. The booklet thing was also genius. Like how has no one never thought about that? Anyway, I highly appreciated the game

We finally
completed the manual
. I am so, so happy. I was so sure we were going to S. our W. without having found it. Just one more G.T. to figure out first. This is such a remarkable game. Puts a smile on my face just thinking about it.

Just finished the game yesterday (both endings) after being two or three weeks away from my Xbox. It's the kind of game I've grown to love and you can feel the devs also feel something similar. The booklet thing was also genius. Like how has no one never thought about that? Anyway, I highly appreciated the game
That is a remarkable accomplishment! Hopefully I won't be too far behind you. Congrats!

We did it! We solved just about everything in the game and S'd our W. It was so satisfying. This is one of my favorite video game experiences of the past decade. Having nearly 100%'d it, I looked up a couple things and I'm really pleased with how we went. We worked really hard to figure out some truly mind-bending puzzles and I am just happy to have been able to work through them. It often took multiple days to figure certain things out. Damn, what an amazing game... I love indies and play a lot of them and I think might be my favorite alongside Celeste...

We did it! We solved just about everything in the game and S'd our W. It was so satisfying. This is one of my favorite video game experiences of the past decade. Having nearly 100%'d it, I looked up a couple things and I'm really pleased with how we went. We worked really hard to figure out some truly mind-bending puzzles and I am just happy to have been able to work through them. It often took multiple days to figure certain things out. Damn, what an amazing game... I love indies and play a lot of them and I think might be my favorite alongside Celeste...
Congrats for finishing the game. And honestly, it's really nice to see the community being so involved and pleased with the experience.

Congrats for finishing the game. And honestly, it's really nice to see the community being so involved and pleased with the experience.
Thank you! I totally agree. I'm looking forward to seeing much more Tunic talk here once it presumably eventually comes to Switch.

I'm still thinking about the game all the time... sometimes I find myself doodling runic...lol! I'm hoping to give the OST a full listen today too. The track names are really clever and on point.

This article about the making of the sound of Tunic popped up in my feed yesterday and it was truly a delight and heartwarming to read:

Very, very mild spoilers in that there are some OST track names mentioned that hint at a couple things you encounter in the game.

Coming to PS4/5 on September 27th. Hopefully a Switch announcement isn't far off. Definitely one of my games of the gen. You all are in for a treat. I implore you to avoid spoilers.

Coming to PS4/5 on September 27th. Hopefully a Switch announcement isn't far off. Definitely one of my games of the gen. You all are in for a treat. I implore you to avoid spoilers.

Is it still on gamepass?

Hopefully that's the same date as the Switch version. I feel it's very likely we will hear something about it in the June Direct.

Just finished this now after getting frustrated with the difficulty and turning the no fail mode on.

I can’t help but feel doing so took some of the magic out of the game as felt like I was brute forcing my way through, but, I really couldn’t see myself pushing through and persevering enough to make it to the end with the difficulty level. Definitely needs somthing in between.

I’ve not uninstalled yet, but probably won’t end up going back to it now. Really loved the concept, but really lost some of its sparkle at the end for me unfortunately 😢

I completed the game a couple of nights ago and I owe @Nabbit a post here.

If it wasn't for Horizon: Forbidden West, this would be my GOTY right now. There is so much charm with this game. Watching the gameplay evolve as you play on is fantastic. The world isn't too big where going back to past areas can be cumbersome.

My one gripe is the difficulty. I don't mind a challenge but the gauntlet and final boss were pretty tough. It took me the better of the evening to put them away. I eventually had to cheese my way, because I refused to turn on no fail mode. Game definitely took me longer than eight hours like HLTB said, but I was trying to collect as much as possible.

So I ended up with the bad ending. In the end I came up two manual pages short. Cover and back. The cover seems tied to the door puzzle on the mountain. I kind of have an idea of what I need to do. I'm guessing that that I need to get out the paper and pencil to figure it out. As for the back of the manual, I have no idea where any of the ferries are so I guess I'm lost there for the time being lol

If/when it comes to the Switch I hope there is a physical copy. I will gladly purchase a copy to own.

It's really wonderful to read your impressions of the game, Josh! I'm going to PM you some hints regarding what's in the spoiler tags.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Switch Announcement
Updated the thread title with the news.

This is one of my favorite games of all time now and I hope you all enjoy it a ton on Switch/PS. It's an incredible experience. I was just wearing my Tunic shirt yesterday in appreciation. I really love this game and I'm so looking forward to everyone's experiences with it. If possible, I really recommend you go in knowing as little as possible and try to avoid looking up secrets and solutions if you can. A big part of the enjoyment is the feeling of discovery.

Looks like the Switch announcement had to be on Nintendo’s own presentation. I thought that game looked cheesy in the way that it goes pretty far in the homage territory (did it really need to be called Tunic and have a fake Hylian Shield) but if it’s apparently this mindblowing puzzle game GOTY contender then I guess I could buy it day 1 and see what it’s about

Looks like the Switch announcement had to be on Nintendo’s own presentation. I thought that game looked cheesy in the way that it goes pretty far in the homage territory (did it really need to be called Tunic and have a fake Hylian Shield) but if it’s apparently this mindblowing puzzle game GOTY contender then I guess I could buy it day 1 and see what it’s about
I've been following it for years pre-release and I was really skeptical whether it would carve out its own unique game space or if it would just be a Zelda clone like others. But yeah, it really lived up to the hype for me and greatly exceeded it. The progression of the game and feeling of discovery and the thoughtfulness of the puzzles on display...and the incredible OST... really make for a special experience. The direct homages are definitely there but the game does its own unique thing, especially as you progress.

I can see the game being polarizing in the way it asks a lot of the player to deduce where and how to progress. But for me it was a perfect balance of direction and discovery. I can also see the high difficulty of some sections being a turn-off but I found it really rewarding to persevere through these, and thankfully there are accessibility options if it gets too frustrating.

The mechanic the game uses to teach the player about the game and its world is endlessly engaging to me and really put me in touch with my gaming inner child.

Ok, I'll stop gushing lol. I'm glad you're going to give it a shot and I hope you dig it. Of course even the best games rarely feel incredible right from the beginning so I don't want to mis-set expectations or overhype people. I'm just really glad this is coming to Switch where I think a lot of gamers will appreciate it deeply.

And if anyone's wondering, since yesterday I wore my Tunic shirt, today I'm wearing my Celeste shirt. 😄

Back
Top Bottom