• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST 13 Oct 2022| Our First Famiversary!

Which of the following October games will you be buying?

• Persona 5 Royal

Votes: 117 37.7%
  • Bayonetta 3

Votes: 181 58.4%
  • Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope

Votes: 122 39.4%
  • NieR:Automata The End Of YoRHa Edition

Votes: 123 39.7%
  • None of the above

Votes: 48 15.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone mind giving me a very short summary of the status of upcoming Nintendo hardware? That thread is intimidating and I don't even know where to begin reading.
I also find that thread intimidating and scary so if someone who is smarter than me (not hard to be tbh) wants to correct any of this feel free, but from what I understand:

1) gonna be like, between PS4 and PS4 Pro levels of performance (gonna use some "DLSS" magic to coax a 4K image out with very little power/battery use)
2) Probably coming first half of 2023

I also find that thread intimidating and scary so if someone who is smarter than me (not hard to be tbh) wants to correct any of this feel free, but from what I understand:

1) gonna be like, between PS4 and PS4 Pro levels of performance (gonna use some "DLSS" magic to coax a 4K image out with very little power/battery use)
We're still hoping for 2023, eh? đź‘€

I can't call the Wii, 360 and PS3 retro, because we're still playing games made on the same style of those days. Nothing really changed, there was no leap since then.

graphics, resolutions, output? yeah, those got better;.. but game design has been stagned for a long while. So in that sense, they are still pretty modern to me.

You won't ever see an Indie game trying to make a retro throwback of that era of games, like we do have with 8-Bit, 16-Bit and lowpoly 3D games.. and not just because of aesthetics, but because trying to replicate games of that era would be just making a regular game nowadays

Oh, we're defining retro? This came up on the staff server when I was a mod lol

To me, retro specifically means 16-bit and older. When a modern game is described as "retro-inspired", no one pictures a PS2 game lol. I could see an argument for the first generation of 3D games being included, but I think the 2D to 3D jump is the most obvious delineation point. While I do get that definitions can and should change over time, to me using "retro" to just mean "older than <arbitrary number> years" is reductive and makes the term kinda meaningless

Yeah I'd argue first gen 3D is still retro. When I see something like Toree or Super Kiwi 64 I definitely think "retro," as it has a definable older generation look. But once you get into stuff like Gamecube or X360, I'd say their look is similar to current but running at lower resolution.

The shift from 2D era to 3D era is a clear, defensible delineation point, though 5th-gen early 3D is clearly within that overall throwback era. We have titles very specifically evoking N64 and PS1 style games as a callback to these more retro times.

This is a sort of liminal space, a point in the retro consciousness whilst, at the same time, the advent of a new era. It's a less hard line, but there's still something of the retro spirit there.

Retro --> Liminal --> Modern --> Contemporary

We could even throw in a "Classic" before modern, though at this point that feels superfluous. Perhaps contemporary would be dropped for that purpose.

(Bonus: liminality can carry an uncanny connotation, fitting for that short era)

I was an adamant supporter of new hardware coming later, but tbh I am ready at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom