• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe announced for Nintendo Switch, launching February 24th, 2023

I'm guessing this means we'll eventually get Robobot Deluxe which I didn't get to play so that's cool

This legit looks uglier than the original. What's up with those outlines? It's not the 3DS anymore.

Huh. Neat! I enjoyed Return to Dream Land back on Wii but never 100% completed it. So this will be a nice way to try it again. Beyond graphics and the new ability, the main levels don't seem changed much, which isn't a problem.

Looks like they added a lot of sub games from other Kirby titles. The original game only had two, one of which they showed, so with the new own shown and the three returning ones, that's a pretty big jump. Wonder if there will be more!

This legit looks uglier than the original. What's up with those outlines? It's not the 3DS anymore.
FWIW this was a Wii game originally. I couldn't tell from your post if you thought it was 3DS. 🙂 I understand your frustration regardless though!

Well this is the single modern Kirby game i haven't played yet, so this is a very welcome remake lol

kirby remakes/remasters at least tend to have some sort of new content in them, so the big magolor castle on the title screen is probably hinting at something

might not justify a 60 dollar price point, but at least it makes it an easier pill to swallow

It's the least good of the modern 2D Kirby games imo, but being a Wii game probably made it easier to remaster than Robobot (and it being a 4 player coop game probably helped with the decision too)

Still, more Kirby on Switch (especially physical releases Kirby !) is always good. Our third physical release Kirby on Switch, everyone !

I was just mentioning this game to my daughter, so it’ll be fun to play this with her, particularly with more mini games added in.

Now just slap us with a pink Game n Watch
and a port of Robobot
and my Kirbyversary is complete!

Fci0lTiaQAI0Zti.jpg

I JUST revisited the Wii version of this game a couple months ago. lol

It looks like a cool remake so I want to buy it although it's still so fresh in my mind so it's bad timing on my part.

It's the least good of the modern 2D Kirby games imo, but being a Wii game probably made it easier to remaster than Robobot (and it being a 4 player coop game probably helped with the decision too)

Still, more Kirby on Switch (especially physical releases Kirby !) is always good. Our third physical release Kirby on Switch, everyone !

How the hell is it less good than Star Allies?

I was planning on selling my Wii copy and now it has lost all its value 🥲

I mean of the three ones that could have been remastered. (Even if I do prefer Star Allies and the ability to play as every Kirby character ever)

I think you're right, but I think that's a function of how Kirby is much more suited to the single-player setup of the 3DS games rather than keeping multiplayer in mind for RtDL and Star Allies.

Still, RtDL has far better level design than Star Allies, and the latter's amazing ability mechanics don't make up for that.

That said, Forgotten Land has great level design but underwhelming ability mechanics, so I can't say I'm really that into the most recent main Kirby games right now.

Here's something I have to wonder: is RtDL's level design more single-player oriented than say Star Allies? RtDL is agreed to have much better level design than SA, but I have to wonder if that's due to the former trying to balance single and multiplayer while SA's core game is all about the multiplayer.

Really excited for this one. heard some great things about it. Isn't it pretty much the pre cursor to Triple Deluxe and Robobot?

This isn't multiplayer focused either. It just has a multiplayer element to it. Doesn't mean it's anything like Star Allies.

I didn't get too far into RtDL originally and only played it singleplayer. Does the game feel like the multiplayer is shoehorned in?

You know what would be a really good inclusion for this? The New Challenge Stages from Dream Collection. Would nicely round out the package.
Here's something I have to wonder: is RtDL's level design more single-player oriented than say Star Allies? RtDL is agreed to have much better level design than SA, but I have to wonder if that's due to the former trying to balance single and multiplayer while SA's core game is all about the multiplayer.
I'd say so, yes. It's at least much more balanced around both.

RtDL's levels were designed for single player, with multi player added after the fact. It's all in the game's Iwata Asks.

imo despite being designed first for solo play the pacing of RTDL's levels was always a step beneath Triple Deluxe and Robobot so i'm really hoping there's more significant gameplay changes to improve the general moment to moment play

To me the fact that it’s just RTDL and doesn’t include the 3DS games confirms to me that Wind Waker and Twilight Princess will be sold separately when they finally come.

Nintendo just does NOT do bundles anymore, unless it’s a limited release like 3D All Stars.

To me the fact that it’s just RTDL and doesn’t include the 3DS games confirms to me that Wind Waker and Twilight Princess will be sold separately when they finally come.

Nintendo just does NOT do bundles anymore, unless it’s a limited release like 3D All Stars.

TBF, some non-Nintendo bundles have had underwhelming or disastrous releases like Sonic Origins or GTA Trilogy. I'm starting to think just taping games together and selling them again is a lot harder than it looks.

I think you're right, but I think that's a function of how Kirby is much more suited to the single-player setup of the 3DS games rather than keeping multiplayer in mind for RtDL and Star Allies.

Still, RtDL has far better level design than Star Allies, and the latter's amazing ability mechanics don't make up for that.

That said, Forgotten Land has great level design but underwhelming ability mechanics, so I can't say I'm really that into the most recent main Kirby games right now.

I dunno, Return to Dream Land started the whole thing where you get a super ability at the end of a level and essentially play a guided tour which gets kind of old. I appreciate Robobot did the powered-up gimmick in a more free-form way and Star Allies didn't have anything as rail-roady.

If this feels too soon

you are getting old! :(
Let's put it this way: the gap in time between Super Star and Ultra is about 12 years. The gap between RtDL and Deluxe? Also about 12 years.
RtDL's levels were designed for single player, with multi player added after the fact. It's all in the game's Iwata Asks.
A lot of Kirby games tacked on those multiplayer modes, huh? We have the Super Star and Dream Land 3 coop, the NiDL coop, RtDL, and Forgotten Land. And they end up pretty okay - ironically more fun and interesting than Star Allies, which was built entirely around the multiplayer!

Emulated ports get bundled. Full remasters and remakes get solo releases. That's been Nintendo's logic for a while.

I dunno, Return to Dream Land started the whole thing where you get a super ability at the end of a level and essentially play a guided tour which gets kind of old. I appreciate Robobot did the powered-up gimmick in a more free-form way and Star Allies didn't have anything as rail-roady.

How is it railroady? This ain't Fi or random story flag roadblocks here.

WWHD and TPHD just "need" to be ported. Wii and especially 3DS games need way more work to bring them to Switch, so I wouldn't say it's comparable. Not that I'm 100% positive that they'll bundle WW and TP, but it's a different situation, ressources needed wise !

Return to Dreamland did start the modern style that's been used for Triple Deluxe, Planet Robobot, Star Allies, and Forgotten Land. If anything it's less hands-on than say Triple Deluxe tho since you don't have to find the collectable to progress. It's basically an evolution of the Adventure style.

I kind of wish they'd let you play solo as the other characters throughout the game this time around, though I realize that'd take some work with level designs and such. Still happy to revisit the game.

Also this is really making me realize how much I prefer Dedede's Forgotten Land look to some of his other modern designs. I like that they seem to be sticking with it.

I hope this is an avenue for the rest of the games in this unofficial mini series to eventually come over (Triple Deluxe, Robobot).

Is this confirmed to be Vanpool? If it is, you have to imagine that they'll bring over the 3DS games eventually.

Dunno what they'd title Triple Deluxe though, since they can't use the Deluxe suffix like they did here. Kirby: Triple Deluxe Deluxe would be a pretty cute title though.

Back
Top Bottom