• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

so apologies in advance if i seemed too many questions regarding games lol, too overexcited sadly, but i'd like to ask:
Aside from possibly Mihoyo games, massively possibly FF7R & 3D mario, what other rumored/speculated games we have so far for Drake?
There won’t be a deluge of big third party games all at launch imo. Third parties like their games staggered so they don’t step on each others toes especially early on in a console life cycle when people are only going to buy two or three games at launch.

In Switch 2’s first year I’m expecting two major titles for definite - Red Dead Redemption 2 and Elden Ring.

Outside of those almost every big name third party game from the Xbone/PS4 generation is a possibility down the road. I’d also guess Destiny 2, Star Wars Jedi, CoD Warzone, GTA V Remastered and the Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster.

What percentage boost in performance in Switch 2 are we guessing for the CPU over a PS4 Pro CPU? If some of the games are GPU bound DLSS could see 30fps games run at 60fps on Switch 2 if they offer an ultra performance mode.

Question re: Storage. What is the feasibility of a process where the Switch 2 allows for memory expansion through micro SD cards but employs a "smart" algorithm to keep whatever titles you're currently playing on the onboard memory to retain fast load times? As an example, if you haven't played a game in a few weeks, the console would automatically back it up to the SD, but then if you start playing it again it would boot, but then transfer the data back to the onboard memory in the background. I'm thinking of the way certain Xbox/PS5 games allow you to start playing before the download is entirely complete.

Senior Software Engineer
SAMSUNG SDS KOREA · Full-time Jul 2022 - Sep 2022 · 3 mos South Korea · On-site
  • To collaborate Nitendo Game Card project with DSR system LSI member for eMMC protocol test case development and verification from hostlevel.

Found this which could be interesting. Screenshot so the person doesn't get spammed. A big UFS experience person. Section of interest is the Samsung Software Engineer section. Don't know what the terminology meant but a Nintendo game card project 2022 is probably next gen related. I don't think Samsung was involved for game card in the Nintendo Switch so this is a weird project. Nintendo is probably sticking with Macronix for the game card so what could Samsung involvement be?

Edit: The 'Nand flash memory card verification with program execution using agile' text under Samsung Semiconductor is also interesting. It matches with the About section which defined Nand flash memory as UFS. Could Nand flash memory card be about UFS card?

Since I'm biased, I take this as confusing expansion card for Nintendo as game card for Nintendo and total confirmation that Nintendo is planning to use UFS in the next Switch.

Last edited:
Nintendo themselves were talking about the NX well ahead of the Switch reveal, and both they and SE has confirmed titles for the NX (BotW and DQ11). I'd argue we've seen nothing close to that level of confirmation from anyone. The last on the record word from Nintendo was "no new hardware this fiscal year". Unless Nintendo lied to investors, this thing isn't coming out before April 1, 2024.
Even if we go with this, April is still great. Not much difference between March/April.

Untitled.png

Found this which could be interesting. Screenshot so the person doesn't get spammed. UFS experience. Section of interest is the Samsung Software Engineer section. Don't know what the terminology meant but this is in 2022 so probably Switch 2 related. Was Samsung one of the game card provider for the Switch? Since I'm biased, I take this as total confirmation that Nintendo is planning to use UFS in the next Switch.

(edited: nvm, i see the connection now)

It says "game card", hmmm.

Last edited:
Untitled.png

Found this which could be interesting. Screenshot so the person doesn't get spammed. UFS experience. Section of interest is the Samsung Software Engineer section. Don't know what the terminology meant but this is in 2022 so probably Switch 2 related. Was Samsung one of the game card provider for the Switch? Since I'm biased, I take this as total confirmation that Nintendo is planning to use UFS in the next Switch.

Oh, it's just about that other company, Nitendo. So nothing to see here.

/jk

Untitled.png

Looks like this is the new internal memory or the new cartridges

Untitled.png

Nice find

Untitled.png

LSI - Large System Integration. Specifically, this is a division of Samsung that builds custom chips

DSR - I assume this refers to Samsung DRS which is one of their campuses, where a decent chunk of LSI is located

eMMC protocol: the protocol for connected eMMC storage up to a host.

eMMC stands for “embedded multimedia card.” MMC is the predecessor to the SD card. The embedded version allowed you to use similar tech for onboard storage.

Also of note, eMMC doesn’t use SPI as part of its interconnect. SPI is what game cards use now.

To use eMMC as the basis of a new, pluggable card is an unusual strategy. It may be that eMMC is only being used as part of the game card test case, and the actual technology is not eMMC based.

This could be new GameCard tech, but it could also be, conceivably, a proprietary expandable storage tech, if everyone is really loose with their naming.

I would guess that Samsung is manufacturing the controller for Nintendo game cards. Which exists independently of manufacturing them. And since this protocol would have to be customized in some way, I’m not sure we can infer speeds from this information either.

Untitled.png

Found this which could be interesting. Screenshot so the person doesn't get spammed. A big UFS experience person. Section of interest is the Samsung Software Engineer section. Don't know what the terminology meant but this is in 2022 so probably Switch 2 related. I don't think Samsung was one of the game card provider for the Switch so this is a weird project. I don't see Nintendo moving off Macronix for the card so maybe Samsung just going to be a manufacturer. Since I'm biased, I take this as describing external memory card for Nintendo as game card for Nintendo and total confirmation that Nintendo is planning to use UFS in the next Switch.
Oh hey, eMMC protocol Game Cards. We could be looking at 300-500MB/s, which if it's compressed and gets decompressed on the fly, could actually be looking at 1GB/s.

Exactly the number we were hoping for. Gosh. No installs, and I'm here for it! Physical games that just work without installs!

Untitled.png

Found this which could be interesting. Screenshot so the person doesn't get spammed. A big UFS experience person. Section of interest is the Samsung Software Engineer section. Don't know what the terminology meant but this is in 2022 so probably Switch 2 related. I don't think Samsung was one of the game card provider for the Switch so this is a weird project. I don't see Nintendo moving off Macronix for the card so maybe Samsung just going to be a manufacturer. Since I'm biased, I take this as describing external memory card for Nintendo as game card for Nintendo and total confirmation that Nintendo is planning to use UFS in the next Switch.
They mispell it as "Nitendo Game Card project"

Is there any possibility this is simply testing BC using Switch game cards (which is eMMc btw) against Switch 2 hardware?

Switch cards aren’t eMMC. They’re a custom SPI based interconnect. On board storage is eMMC
What was the prevailing theory on storage tech used for Switch 2 game cards if there was one?
A 3D NAND solution from Macronix, who make the current switch cards, and whose tech matches up with pre-existing leaks.

I feel like we were thinking UFS for internal storage due to near zero loading time for BOTW demo, but what about game cards? Is UFS game cards plausible?
When we say UFS we almost always mean eUFS. That’s the onboard storage for phones. UFS technically is the family of protocols which started with a new card format. But the format isn’t manufactured because phones gave up on expandable storage.

There is no existing tech that is a perfect match for game cards. Nintendo has to move to a storage format that scales up larger and cheaper, as games get larger. But traditional NAND is not designed to last very long, and there is no NAND protocol that is read only. Nintendo will have to customize something

There won’t be a deluge of big third party games all at launch imo. Third parties like their games staggered so they don’t step on each others toes especially early on in a console life cycle when people are only going to buy two or three games at launch.

In Switch 2’s first year I’m expecting two major titles for definite - Red Dead Redemption 2 and Elden Ring.

Outside of those almost every big name third party game from the Xbone/PS4 generation is a possibility down the road. I’d also guess Destiny 2, Star Wars Jedi, CoD Warzone, GTA V Remastered and the Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster.

What percentage boost in performance in Switch 2 are we guessing for the CPU over a PS4 Pro CPU? If some of the games are GPU bound DLSS could see 30fps games run at 60fps on Switch 2 if they offer an ultra performance mode.

I'd say Resident Evil 4 Remake and Resident Evil Village and Assassin's Creed Mirage would be close to locks too.

All three have iOS/Mac versions meaning they're already on ARM architecture and operate at a mobile use case.

With 12 RT cores and a lower clock on handheld, I'm not expecting much of RT capabilities on switch 2. To be honest, I was surprised when I saw that the T239 had RT cores. I think Nintendo will make good use of it in certain games, but I'm not demanding anything from them is this space.
You greatly underestimate the sheer architectural gulf between NVIDIA and AMD with regards to RT/Efficiency, especially factoring DLSS.

Like, no joke, with regards to raw RT Acceleration capability, 12 Ampere RT cores may actually match the 36 Neutered Ray Accelerators in the PS5 (Due to the RA's lacking Infinity Cache making them even slower than they would be on Desktop)

Switch cards aren’t eMMC. They’re a custom SPI based interconnect. On board storage is eMMC

A 3D NAND solution from Macronix, who make the current switch cards, and whose tech matches up with pre-existing leaks.

When we say UFS we almost always mean eUFS. That’s the onboard storage for phones. UFS technically is the family of protocols which started with a new card format. But the format isn’t manufactured because phones gave up on expandable storage.

There is no existing tech that is a perfect match for game cards. Nintendo has to move to a storage format that scales up larger and cheaper, as games get larger. But traditional NAND is not designed to last very long, and there is no NAND protocol that is read only. Nintendo will have to customize something
Yes, and thanks for the correction! Before your response I've already since deleted my other comment when I realized (upon re-googling) Switch game cards weren't eMMC (as you said eMMc is used only for on-board storage), so my question no longer make sense.

Thanks for the insight re: plausibility of UFS tech in game cards, that was educational.

But traditional NAND is not designed to last very long, and there is no NAND protocol that is read only. Nintendo will have to customize something
Which, to be clear, is what Nintendo already did for the NAND-based 8+ GB game cards on the Switch. So that's a big reason to consider the 3D NAND you also mentioned as a likely pick for the next system.

They could say "Plumbing Company" to throw people off.
They should just have refered to it as the "Nin" company and people would be like "You mean Nine Inch Nails?"

Just woundering if UFS technologies also have particular fab nodes. i.e. SEC8N was actually meant to refer to the UFS NAND flash technology.

H1 in general is starting to make more sense when you consider how much hardware is planned to release in H2 2024 now. Even if Nintendo isn't aware of release plans the amount of factory/assembly space will be much tighter that time of year to make for a harder launch.
Hehe, i remember them saying something about trying to mitigate the scalper issue too.

You greatly underestimate the sheer architectural gulf between NVIDIA and AMD with regards to RT/Efficiency, especially factoring DLSS.

Like, no joke, with regards to raw RT Acceleration capability, 12 Ampere RT cores may actually match the 36 Neutered Ray Accelerators in the PS5 (Due to the RA's lacking Infinity Cache making them even slower than they would be on Desktop)

So you're saying I can expect the next AAA Zelda to use RT in its full glory?

It literally took me two whole weeks to catch up with this thread lol and does anyone know if the document regarding "Redacted" was also leaked in its unredacted form?????

The question is not about its profitability but about its opportunity cost. Subscription services only appeal to very hardcore gamers so it's reasonable that Microsoft could just release indie titles and old backlog titles and have the same amount of subscriptions (as that would still be worth it to hardcore gamers). If that is the case, then Microsoft just lost hundreds of millions of dollars releasing Starfield directly on GamePass because now hardcore gamers don't have to pay them more whereas casual gamers won't maintain a subscription after Starfield (because it isn't worth it to them).

This is basically what Sony and Nintendo have reasoned out and is likely correct. NSO+ doesn't receive day one Nintendo games, but it's still worth it to me. Nintendo would just be throwing away money if they put Pikmin 4 on there day 1.
I think they did lose $100s of millions in opportunity cost

LSI - Large System Integration. Specifically, this is a division of Samsung that builds custom chips

DSR - I assume this refers to Samsung DRS which is one of their campuses, where a decent chunk of LSI is located

eMMC protocol: the protocol for connected eMMC storage up to a host.

eMMC stands for “embedded multimedia card.” MMC is the predecessor to the SD card. The embedded version allowed you to use similar tech for onboard storage.

Also of note, eMMC doesn’t use SPI as part of its interconnect. SPI is what game cards use now.

To use eMMC as the basis of a new, pluggable card is an unusual strategy. It may be that eMMC is only being used as part of the game card test case, and the actual technology is not eMMC based.

This could be new GameCard tech, but it could also be, conceivably, a proprietary expandable storage tech, if everyone is really loose with their naming.

I would guess that Samsung is manufacturing the controller for Nintendo game cards. Which exists independently of manufacturing them. And since this protocol would have to be customized in some way, I’m not sure we can infer speeds from this information either.
Thanks for explaining the terminology. Even for a test, eMMC is a weird choice. Card controller sounds very likely but it's hard to see Nintendo bringing on Samsung for just that part. Feel like Samsung must be manufacturing something else to make the venture worthwhile.

Thanks for explaining the terminology. Even for a test, eMMC is a weird choice. Card controller sounds very likely but it's hard to see Nintendo bringing on Samsung for just that part. Feel like Samsung must be manufacturing something else to make the venture worthwhile.
It’s what LSI does. Someone has to design those chips, and Samsung has the storage experience. This is likely the only custom ASIC that Nintendo needs that won’t be built into the SOC. Who else would do it?

It’s what LSI does. Someone has to design those chips, and Samsung has the storage experience. This is likely the only custom ASIC that Nintendo needs that won’t be built into the SOC. Who else would do it?
I think your read on things is likely accurate. But, just to answer your rhetorical question, Nintendo worked with MegaChips (Edit: and Macronix?) to design the current Switch's card controller, so they're another candidate.

...And now that I'm looking at some of these MegaChips docs on the Lotus ASIC, it mentions that eMMC protocol is used between the SoC and the card controller ASIC. So there's a decent chance the same is being done here.

Last edited:
I was thinking whoever doing it for the Switch. Could be Samsung for all I know but I never heard of Samsung being involved for anything in the Switch.

Edit: guess it's MegaChips, that what I was expecting. An unknown company producing a small rather low production part (no actually knowledge in this field so they might be the biggest company ever and I just never heard of them)

Last edited:
H2 isn't noisy. The xbox and sony refreshes will not make as much of a splash you may think it they will. ESPECIALLY the xbox refresh. that shit is pathetic.
Yes it is lol, especially from a transportation side. Microsoft wants to get 6nm as soon as possible to make the device cheaper. Not one, but two of them. Sony from a hardware development perspective is expending tens of millions to develop a whole different chip for a console that will be sold for years. They want that to make a splash ASAP to regain from developing it.

To see that H2 isn’t noisey already is choosing to be oblivious.

The Samsung Semiconductor section of that person linkedin could be interesting too.

Nand Flash Memory of Card & eMMC Firmware Verification with Program execution using Agile methodology
matches up closely with
NAND Flash Memory(UFS) Firmware unit test development with host protocol program verification of complete product development life-cycle; with ... Program execution using Agile & Scrum methodology
in the About section. It also further defined Nand flash as UFS.

Is the person talking about UFS card? In 2022? Is UFS card back on the table?

200.gif

Last edited:
it was directed to the 2nd post they quoted. I was too lazy to delete his response to you but I figured it was pretty obvious with the context who my post was directed at.

I literally only ignore 2 people. Ignoring this 1 person is hardly a good chunk. Don't assume to know what I'm willing and not willing to do lol. I'm very willing to read people's opinions but when their opinion consists of constantly shifting the goalposts and then reacting negatively to those who disagree...I can't be bothered.
Tag me next time babes 😘

(I’m kidding please don’t yell at me)

Posting the actual evidence from the Switch 1 documentation.

image.png

So this is likely what Samsung LSI is responsible for here, the ASIC for the new hardware's card reader. The eMMC protocol test cases mentioned would be validating communication between the SoC (T239) and the new reader. I don't think there's any information in this resume about the game cards themselves or the communication between the reader and the cards.

Strictly speaking, only the work listed between July and September 2022 is explicitly connected to Nintendo. But if we assume that the larger section spanning 2020-2023 covered the same project, "board bringup on embedded platform" would mean integration of the new reader with Nintendo's actual hardware finishing no later than March 2023. Which fits well with complete devkits going out widely this year.

Last edited:
Nitendo? KNEEtendo. More evidence of soon-to-be million-selling IP KNEES.
Nii-tendo

~Onii-tendo-chan!~

the first ray traced game on mobile has been out for a couple months. War Thunder Mobile has RT shadows. it's not very noticeable the the performance drop isn't too terrible

EDIT: this video has frame rate over 60fps. the resolution looks really low and the sampling for RT is even lower, hence the frame rate being good

Last edited:
Posting the actual evidence from the Switch 1 documentation.

image.png

So this is likely what Samsung LSI is responsible for here, the ASIC for the new hardware's card reader. The eMMC protocol protocol test cases mentioned would be validating communication between the SoC (T239) and the new reader. I don't think there's any information in this resume about the game cards themselves or the communication between the reader and the cards.

Strictly speaking, only the work listed between July and September 2022 is explicitly connected to Nintendo. But if we assume that the larger section spanning 2020-2023 covered the same project, "board bringup on embedded platform" would mean integration of the new reader with Nintendo's actual hardware finishing no later than March 2023. Which fits well with complete devkits going out widely this year.
For the sake of completeness, I feel I should also mention that -- were it not for the specific mention of "Ni[n]tendo Game Card" in the resume -- all of the bullet points seem like they could also apply to a custom card reader for external storage cards, rather than the reader for game cards. I recall that both the current Switch's game card reader and SD card reader are treated as generic "sdmmc" devices from the perspective of the TX1 SoC, and the same concept will be used by T239. But I'm sticking with game cards as the default explanation since that's what the resume says.

So you're saying I can expect the next AAA Zelda to use RT in its full glory?
Probably, like the Gamescom demo apparently showed Matrix Awaken with everything enabled so it's effectively the closest to Path Tracing that has been put out as a proper demo (as it has RTGI, RT shadows, and RT Reflections. Heck at night it even has Direct Illumination from windows/lights as the only lightsoruces in the city)

So running Matrix Awakens/City Demo with all its RT features enabled would produce the same.

Idk… but we shall see how it goes.
To be clear, I don't see March launch as likely. I think March would be reveal, if one has not been done already at that point.

Based on responses to my question, it seems Nintendo does not necessarily have to disclose in their current fiscal filing that they are doing new hardware or launching it etc.

Thus why I said it would seem a March launch is not explicitly ruled out. It've been frequently mentioned by others Nintendo won't launch until after end of March at minimum, "because Nintendo said no new hardware for this fiscal year" - except the filing said no such thing. Nintendo never said in the filing they aren't going to release new hardware this fiscal year.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom