• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I'm saying there are no switch 2 game cards, and that a physical model would specifically exist for users with a physical switch 1 collection to play BC
Disclaimer: I do not want this to be true.

Why didn't anyone think of this before? It makes so much more sense of the original rumor, and MAY BE something Nintendo would do. At the very least we can bet they considered/are considering it.

Kill physical games entirely! But... why? Well if their next system is rocking a fast internal drive so they can get rid of those load speeds and enable different game design ala PS5, getting a game card to match is going to be pricey, and depending on the speed they want to hit, impossible? Heck current Switch game cards are already too pricey! So this leaves Nintendo with a choice. $70 (or more?) games? They tested the waters with Zelda, seemed to do okay. But they can't do that for all their games, can they? Also with NG development game sizes are going up up up which means even bigger game cards and even more $... going digital only solves it all. They can keep their pricing at $59 for big titles and $49 for smaller ones, WHILE making more profit per game. It's basically pure profit.

Which leads us to the 2 models and the confusing rumor. Actually both models have BC, digitally! Only one of them has a card slot for physical BC. That model is the "premium" model that also has probably a couple other features to distinguish it.

i hope we get some type of reveal or new info soon because we're reaching peak nonsense for the sort of things being shared.
It seems like Nate has some info to give us in the near future. I believe he is trying to verify (as much as he can) the info he’s heard before sharing it with us. Could be mistaken but I feel like he said or implied this. Feel free to correct me, Nate!

But yeah I hope an official reveal is in the works for this year. Having to wait till March potentially for info is going to be..challenging lol.

can you imagine how much your switch collection could be worth if they decide to go the digital route for future iterations?

Disclaimer: I do not want this to be true.

Why didn't anyone think of this before? It makes so much more sense of the original rumor, and MAY BE something Nintendo would do. At the very least we can bet they considered/are considering it.

Kill physical games entirely! But... why? Well if their next system is rocking a fast internal drive so they can get rid of those load speeds and enable different game design ala PS5, getting a game card to match is going to be pricey, and depending on the speed they want to hit, impossible? Heck current Switch game cards are already too pricey! So this leaves Nintendo with a choice. $70 (or more?) games? They tested the waters with Zelda, seemed to do okay. But they can't do that for all their games, can they? Also with NG development game sizes are going up up up which means even bigger game cards and even more $... going digital only solves it all. They can keep their pricing at $59 for big titles and $49 for smaller ones, WHILE making more profit per game. It's basically pure profit.

Which leads us to the 2 models and the confusing rumor. Actually both models have BC, digitally! Only one of them has a card slot for physical BC. That model is the "premium" model that also has probably a couple other features to distinguish it.
The biggest issue with this idea currently is that Macronix, the company who makes switch game cards, has started offering high speed, high capacity, low cost 3D NAND storage chips specifically for use in games media, and they're reportedly scaling up production. If Nintendo won't be using it, who would be?

The biggest issue with this idea currently is that Macronix, the company who makes switch game cards, has started offering high speed, high capacity, low cost 3D NAND storage chips specifically for use in games media, and they're reportedly scaling up production. If Nintendo won't be using it, who would be?
That truly makes me feel better and I hope it's Nintendo. Do you think the price is actually cheaper than current Switch cards though? Cause I'm betting current cost is actually too much! We're seeing some big 3rd party physical games come with a code for digital download. Who knows how many 3rd partys decided to skip Switch because they didn't want to deal with the card price issue. I still think it's possible cards get the axe but, hopefully not.

I guarantee you Nintendo will not re-upload the Switch reveal trailer in 2023.
they didnt remove it they just privated so its still on youtube, as for if they private it for licensing issues or to make room for the switch 2 reveal who knows. But its pretty easy to unprivate and I think they Did that for other trailer in the past

It seems like Nate has some info to give us in the near future. I believe he is trying to verify (as much as he can) the info he’s heard before sharing it with us. Could be mistaken but I feel like he said or implied this. Feel free to correct me, Nate!

But yeah I hope an official reveal is in the works for this year. Having to wait till March potentially for info is going to be..challenging lol.
i’m still erring on the side of jan/feb/march reveal next year but, i think even with that, we’ll hear something “big” before the end of the year. manufacturing has to start at some point and that’s when the ship gets real leaky.

i’m still erring on the side of jan/feb/march reveal next year but, i think even with that, we’ll hear something “big” before the end of the year. manufacturing has to start at some point and that’s when the ship gets real leaky.
I'm of the belief that if we hear anything this year, it's not going to be a huge announcement spilling all the nitty gritty details about NG. It'll just be a teaser to officially let people know it's coming; maybe featuring vague footage of an unreleased game (Prime 4?), and the big marketing push will arrive in 2024.

The Wii required special hardware to play GC discs, and the DS likewise required special hardware.

From what we understand, Drakes BC layer will be all software, so there woudnt be any extra costs associated with having it on every model. If there even exists a digital model, which imo is dubious.
Right, the main thing preventing "digital GameCube backward compatibility" from working late Wiis and Wii U was that digital GameCube sales weren't a thing. Homebrewers made it work, though.

they didnt remove it they just privated so its still on youtube, as for if they private it for licensing issues or to make room for the switch 2 reveal who knows. But its pretty easy to unprivate and I think they Did that for other trailer in the past
Yes, but what the other user was suggesting is that they would re-upload it with different music.

I'm of the belief that if we hear anything this year, it's not going to be a huge announcement spilling all the nitty gritty details about NG. It'll just be a teaser to officially let people know it's coming; maybe featuring vague footage of an unreleased game (Prime 4?), and the big marketing push will arrive in 2024.
i certainly don’t think it’ll be a big announcement. either what you said, some sort of teaser, or literally just a pretty big leak or confirmed rumor. (i think it’ll be the latter.)

That truly makes me feel better and I hope it's Nintendo. Do you think the price is actually cheaper than current Switch cards though? Cause I'm betting current cost is actually too much! We're seeing some big 3rd party physical games come with a code for digital download. Who knows how many 3rd partys decided to skip Switch because they didn't want to deal with the card price issue. I still think it's possible cards get the axe but, hopefully not.
Apparently the current costs for 8-16GB cards are about the same as physical PS/XB games, publishers just like to be cheap. 32GB cards are prohibitively expensive for many though, it seems.

Every message I've read since yesterday is already claiming march and whatever again like nothing has happened, just wait a little bit. Come on now.
What if I and most others have consistently been saying the whole video removal/privating was nothing from the very beginning?

What if I and most others have consistently been saying the whole video removal/privating was nothing from the very beginning?
Then we'll get another juicy rumour or wait until next year, but nothing about that is a surprise. I just feel we might have discussed the next year scenario enough to death to just focus on the now for what's left of october.

Who’s trolling? Many have thought it’s around March for reveal (at least January 2024). All this research and small stuff that’s really only used as confirmation bias isn’t enough for some to change their mind.

Every message I've read since yesterday is already claiming march and whatever again like nothing just happened, just wait a little bit. Come on now.
what is this about? some of us (me) have always thought it would be more march for the full-on reveal, independent of whatever has happened the past 24 hours. i don’t think anything concrete enough has happened to change that, in my mind.

what is this about? some of us (me) have always thought it would be more march for the full-on reveal, independent of whatever has happened the past 24 hours. i don’t think anything concrete enough has happened to change that, in my mind.
Okay, but if you're out there going on circles for the same freaking thing since even before the recent occurrence... Idk, the rest of the thread posters have already taken a break to wait and see what happens in the next week, a couple of guys left still beating the "2024 march reveal" horse before the end of the october sounds rushed to do.
I mean… Nothing was what happened.
I'm not sure if you're serious...

Last edited:
What's more likely?:

-Nintendo is about to reveal the Switch 2 in a matter of weeks, without enough mainstream rumours to actually build hype or get people in the right mental state for it, and the first big clue that this is the case is that they privated the original Switch reveal
-The video being privated has some other, wonky reason behind it that we can't quite figure out, and is unrelated to the new console

-Nintendo is about to reveal the Switch 2 in a matter of weeks, without enough mainstream rumours to actually build hype or get people in the right mental state for it, and the first big clue that this is the case is that they privated the original Switch reveal
Nothing about what you said here is an impediment, rumours have a non-existent history of leaking presentations remotely as big as a console reveal. I'm not sure what you mean by "build hype and getting people in the right mindset" because every console reveal has been at the very least, greatly unexpected and sometimes at the expense of the marketing campaign of other games going for years (see TLOU2 and PS5). Many users like @Concernt have determined this is far from being a normal occurrence, as privatizing the original Switch reveal has simply never happened to date, it's always other models but never the original. Other users have gave out their best to determine if this is some sort of licensing issue, human error or any other wonky reason like you said, and although it can't be ruled out just yet... It legitimately doesn't seem like it, so what's left now? This is one of the few, true occurrences to bet on a console reveal very soon, regardless of how much one feels like debunking it (because as far as I know, many people have tried to do exactly that).

Last edited:
waiting-finger-tapping.gif

The thread ... waiting in suspense.

E:

Of course, something happens the moment i post this.

Thank you, Karma.

Rough summary of the 19 October 2023 episode of Nate the Hate
New Nate’s video

Tokyo Game Show Rumors -- Xbox, Panic Button & More
  • NateDrake mentioned that Nash Weddle posted a miniature Twitter thread that made mentions of some discussion points of the Nintendo Switch's successor at the Tokyo Game Show 2023, including Metroid Prime 4 being shown to developers outside of Retro Studios, and Xbox seeing the Nintendo Switch's successor at Tokyo Game Show 2023
    • NateDrake found Nash Weddle's Metroid Prime 4 claim bewildering since various departments at Nintendo Co. Ltd. (Japan), Nintendo of America, Nintendo of Europe, etc., are obviously getting fairly consistent updates on Metroid Prime 4's status to prepare marketing plans
    • Hence, NateDrake thinks Nash Weddle's Metroid Prime 4 claims are safe guesstimates
    • And although Nash Weddle's Xbox claim is safe in many ways since Microsoft is a development partner for Nintendo and Sony, especially with Microsoft successfully acquiring Activision Blizzard, and Microsoft being the publisher for Minecraft, Ori and the Blind Forest, Banjo-Kazooie, etc., Tokyo Game Show 2023 is probably not the right venue to have hardware demonstrations, especially since Microsoft's and Nintendo of America's offices are so close, and Microsoft can literally walk to Nintendo of America's office
    • NateDrake said Gamescom, GDC, and E3 to a certain extent, could be possible venues for hardware demonstrations, but not the Tokyo Game Show
  • NateDrake thinks that Nash Weddle is hedging bets that no one can outright confirm and outright deny Nash Weedle's claims
  • NateDrake and MVG think Nash Weedle's claims are far fetched
  • MVG has heard chatter about there being a technical demonstration for the Nintendo Switch's successor at Gamescom 2023, which he called Gamescom 2023's worst kept secret
    • But MVG heard absolutely nothing about the Nintendo Switch's successor at Tokyo Game Show 2023
    • And since there were no reports from major outlets, MVG doubted Nash Weddle's claim that Xbox was shown the Nintendo Switch's successor during Tokyo Game Show 2023
  • NateDrake thinks Microsoft is more likely to meet up with Nintendo at Tokyo Game Show 2023 to discuss upcoming deals regarding Minecraft, Nintendo Switch Online, etc.
  • MVG has heard that nothing really happened at Tokyo Game Show 2023
    • MVG thinks that if something did happen during Tokyo Game Show 2023, it's very airtight, and only a few handful of people probably know about it
  • When NateDrake asked his sources attending Tokyo Game Show 2023 if the Nintendo Switch's successor was a conversation point, his sources said there were no whispers or chatter on the showfloor about the Nintendo Switch's successor
  • NateDrake thinks this shouldn't necessarily be a concern since if Nintendo discussed the Nintendo Switch's successor at Gamescom 2023, Nintendo might not feel the need to repeat it at Tokyo Game Show 2023
    • NateDrake thinks there could have been off-site meetings with partners and other individuals about the Nintendo Switch's successor, which weren't discuss outside of those meetings
    • The information from those meetings could have been insignificant, or be a repeat of what was shared at Gamescom 2023
  • NateDrake said that if there were claims, and there's no corroboration from others, then the claims don't really have a foundation to stand on
  • NateDrake mentioned Nash Weedle also claimed that Panic Button was a developer of conversation at Tokyo Game Show 2023 for the Nintendo Switch's successor
    • Although Panic Button is a talented outsourcing studio who did a fantastic job with the commissioned Nintendo Switch ports projects, to NateDrake's recollection, Panic Button hasn't been commissioned by any Japanese developers to port games to the Nintendo Switch, but rather Western developers (e.g. Bethesda)
  • MVG thought Nash Weedle's claim didn't make any sense since as NateDrake mentioned, Panic Button worked with Western developers, not Japanese developers
    • MVG could see Panic Button potentially being at the technical demonstrations at Gamescom 2023
    • MVG mentioned that although Panic Button for the most part does quality work on the Nintendo Switch, with the exception of Apex Legends, which is mostly likely due to Panic Button being on a serious crunch schedule, that doesn't necessarily mean Panic Button is working on games for the Nintendo Switch's successor right now
    • MVG also mentioned that there are also other port studios that do quality work on the Nintendo Switch, but are people going to assume the other port studios have devkits for the Nintendo Switch's successor?
  • MVG mentioned that Panic Button is a small port studio that focuses on Western games, which is why MVG doesn't believe Nash Weedle's claim that Panic Button is a developer of conversation at Tokyo Game Show 2023
  • NateDrake said that he doesn't think Panic Button is a developer of conversation at Tokyo Game Show 2023
  • But NateDrake and MVG do believe Panic Button will eventually get devkits for the Nintendo Switch's successor, so Panic Button can assist other studios bring ambitious games developed for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S to the Nintendo Switch's successor
  • NateDrake thinks that Nash Weedle used logic and reason, and then attach a well known studio that's done well on the Nintendo Switch, to make the claims seem credible, although the claims are in reality simply whispers in the wind
  • NateDrake mentioned that Nash Weedle also claimed that the Yazuka games are coming to the Nintendo Switch's successor at launch, also mentioning that Sega and Yazuka producers talked about one of the reasons why the Yazuka games didn't come to the Nintendo Switch due to the Yazuka games weren't a good fit for Nintendo's platform
    • NateDrake wonders if Nash Weedle is once again hedging a bet that Sega has seen that the Nintendo Switch could be a viable platform for the Yazuka franchise
  • NateDrake did a surface level investigation, and found from a good source, although not with 100% certainty, that the Yazuka games aren't planned to be released on the Nintendo Switch's successor presently
    • NateDrake said that the decision isn't finalised, or Sega's having internal discussions, or Sega's still evaluating the plans
  • Nash Weedle's claims of the Yazuka games coming to the Nintendo Switch's successor gave MVG pause since porting the Dragon Engine via the Nintendo SDK sounds like a massive undertaking on a technical level, although MVG said there's a possibility Sega's planning on porting the Dragon Engine in the future, and the Yazuka games could do very well overall on the Nintendo Switch
    • MVG mentioned that Sega was criticised for Like a Dragon running on 720p on the Xbox Series S and 1080p on the Xbox Series X, which MVG attributes to the Dragon Engine
    • MVG thinks bringing the Dragon Engine to the Nintendo Switch, and then optimising for Arm, involves a lot of work
  • MVG does mention there's a possibility Sega's looking into or currently working on bringing the Dragon Engine to the Nintendo Switch due to how successful the Nintendo Switch is, sales wise
    • But MVG thinks that there are technical issues that needs to be addressed before bringing the Yazuka games to the Nintendo Switch, which is a resource and money investment (e.g. $10 million - $100 million cost)
    • And MVG thinks that if Sega wanted to bring the Yazuka games to the Nintendo Switch, Sega would have started development a few years ago
  • Although MVG doesn't believe the Yazuka games are coming to the Nintendo Switch's successor at the moment, he thinks the Yazuka games could come in the future
  • NateDrake mentions that Sega likes to go through Sega's backlog of games, but whether or not a Yazuka game is coming, depends on if Sega believes there's a market and an audience for the platform
  • NateDrake said he wouldn't invest much attention or money on Nash Weedle's claim of the Yakuza games coming to the Nintendo Switch's successor at launch
  • NateDrake thinks Nash Weedle's claims are too vague and safe to have any solid backing
Release Timing - September or November
  • NateDrake mentioned there were rumours about there existing both a physical media and digital SKU, and a digital only SKU, and a launch happening at the end of September or the first week of November (of 2024)
    • NateDrake also mentioned many people dismissed the rumours since the rumours mentioned NG as the codename
  • NateDrake mentioned receiving information a couple of weeks prior that largely matched the rumours, which he didn't have time to corroborate with his sources
    • But NateDrake found some of the information to be dubious since he didn't think development partners would be told a year in advance the specific day of launch, which the rumours claimed was the 24th September 2024, or the 5th or 6th of November 2024, since the specific launch day is usually ironed out 6 months from launch, not 12-13 months from launch
    • NateDrake mentioned Nintendo are probably writing down specific dates internally, which are erased and changed periodically
  • MVG also believes that the rumours are far fetched and aren't true
    • MVG thinks people are taking the rumours at face value since nobody's really challenging the validity of the rumours, which shouldn't be the responsibility of the viewers/listeners
    • And MVG doesn't know where the specific dates come from, since there's no way a specific launch day is ironed out that far in advance
  • Therefore, it's hard for MVG to take the rumours seriously at face value
  • NateDrake thinks the rumours are too specific, date wise
  • NateDrake thinks claiming a September 2024 launch in September 2023 is a bold claim since that's making an assumption that there's no issues whatsoever on the supply line, etc.
    • NateDrake mentioned that for example, if someone claimed on April 2024 that the console is releasing on the 15th of October 2024, that's believable, since 6 months is typically a lead time for console manufacturers
  • NateDrake thinks the person who's reporting the rumours could be overzealous
  • And MVG think that people should use common sense when it comes to rumours
Two Sku - Digital & Physical Model?
  • NateDrake mentioned that the rumours specify that a physical media and digital model would cost $450, and a digital model would cost $400, which NateDrake thinks warrants more attention
  • NateDrake said if he's Nintendo, he would definitely entertain the idea of having a digital only SKU at a more affordable price alongside a physical media and digital SKU, since that's what Sony and Microsoft are doing, digital being the trend in the video game industry, and Nintendo's pushing towards digital purchases with the Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers, with a digital only SKU only amplifying that
  • MVG agrees with NateDrake and thinks Nintendo will eventually phase in the digital only SKU as the main SKU, although MVG and NateDrake hate that
    • Although it pains MVG to say this, he thinks Nintendo has to cater to digital only customers, because if they are provided a Game Card slot that they never use, then it's a waste of money
    • So making a digital only SKU appealing in terms of price and features makes a lot of sense
  • Although MVG doesn't know if Nintendo will launch with two SKUs, he could see Nintendo doing that
  • When NateDrake heard the two SKUs portion of the rumour, he said he couldn't dismiss that portion since he could see Nintendo releasing two SKUs since Nintendo can control the ecosystem more strongly, and make more money from Nintendo Switch Online
    • Since Nintendo has been burdened with piracy due to the launch Nintendo Switch being easily exploitable, which Nvidia's trying to prevent with the Nintendo Switch's successor, NateDrake thinks a digital only SKU could enable Nintendo to prevent street date violations
  • Although NateDrake doesn't think Nintendo will go all digital with the Nintendo Switch's successor, he thinks Nintendo could go all digital 1-2 generations after the Nintendo Switch's successor, especially with 60% of sales in Japan are physical
  • NateDrake doesn't think a $50 difference is not enough to incentivise customers to buy a digital only model, but rather at least a $100 difference could be
  • NateDrake doesn't know if the two SKUs rumour came from Nintendo's development partners, or it's a safe assumption based on the trends in the video game industry
    • The person who sent the information to NateDrake was unknown to him, and he wondered if the person who sent him the information is the same source for the rumours
  • MVG thinks the two SKUs rumour has the most credibility thus far
New Backward Compatibility Rumor
  • NateDrake mentioned a week ago there was a rumour that suggested a digital only SKU will not have digital backwards compatibility, but a physical media SKU will have backwards compatibility via physical medial, which baffled him
    • If he was Nintendo, he would enable digital backwards compatibility, but disable physical media backwards compatibility, for a digital only model
  • MVG said he really struggled to try to make sense of this rumour, especially the digital only SKU not having digital backwards compatibility
  • MVG wonder what happens if he wants to purchase games from the Nintendo eShop in his digital only SKU
  • MVG couldn't make any sense of there being a feature/flag baked into the firmware that prevents digital only SKU customers from playing old games from the Nintendo eShop due to no Game Card slot, since in that case, the two models are separated by a major feature, which is taken away from the more affordable SKU, but is present in the more expensive SKU
  • MVG thinks backwards compatibility is an all or nothing situation since there's one set of firmware across all the products
  • Although MVG thinks NateDrake's hypothetical scenario of Nintendo disabling physical media backwards compatibility and retaining digital backwards compatibility makes more sense, he still couldn't make sense of it, since he thinks Nintendo will offer 100% backwards compatibility or not, which NateDrake agrees with
  • If Nintendo doesn't offer backwards compatibility, MVG thinks Nintendo would offer patches/upgrade paths for playing old games anyway
  • As NateDrake was reading the transcript of the video that reported on the rumour of the digital only SKU having no digital backwards compatibility whereas a physical only SKU has backwards compatibility, he was even more confused
  • NateDrake thinks if there's any validity to the claim of the digital only SKU having no digital backwards compatibility, but the physical media does, then that's the worst implementation of backwards compatibility from any company, which he can't see Nintendo doing
  • (To (Shpeshal) Nick) MVG said sorry, but the rumours aren't right, since Nintendo's either all in on backwards compatibility, or not, as shown with the Xbox Series X|S, where backwards compatibility is across the board
Recent Patents - Mean Anything?
  • NateDrake mentioned there was a patent that showed a hardware layout that people think Nintendo will adopt for the Nintendo Switch's successor, which has the usual ABXY buttons, a single analog stick, and has a form factor similar to the Nintendo Switch Lite
    • NateDrake doesn't think the patent suggests what the Nintendo Switch's successor's form factor looks like, especially with a single analog stick being a nightmare for backwards compatibility
  • NateDrake reiterated that if Nintendo released a patent publicly, it's a concept that Nintendo is/was exploring that Nintendo's not likely to use in the future since Nintendo likes to keep secrets for as long as possible
  • NateDrake doesn't know why people keep bringing up public patents from Nintendo as an indication of what Nintendo plans for the future, bringing an oval shaped system patent from 2016 as an example, since the Nintendo Switch never adopted that form factor
    • NateDrake pleads people to stop reporting on patents
  • MVG mentioned never looking at patents
    • Although patents are interesting to chat about, there's really nothing from patents, and a lot of people don't know what they're looking at with respect to patents, while trying to make sense of when patents were renewed and submitted
  • MVG thinks trying to fit patents into something is a very dangerous game since that makes people believe that Nintendo's only working on the Nintendo Switch's successor, when in reality, Nintendo gets involved in all sorts of things
  • NateDrake does think some patents are an interesting conversation point of what if Nintendo did utilise this gameplay concept, or implement this oval form factor
  • NateDrake mentioned one of the Wii controller prototypes (in a patent) was just a star, and that Nintendo at one point patented a horse saddle, which he's glad didn't came to market
    • MVG joking asked if that horse saddle was for MC Horse, and Nate answered no, with MVG laughing
Custom SoC & Feature Set
  • NateDrake mentioned he was chasing information for a week that he was given permission to share
  • NateDrake has heard that the Nintendo Switch's successor will have ray reconstruction
  • MVG found that interesting, which made him think that's one of the reasons why third party developers said that the ray tracing in The Matrix Awakening demo looks good and impressive, with NateDrake mentioning ray reconstruction being a contributing factor
    • NateDrake iterated that the results and the quality of the ray reconstruction will depend on the denoiser, and won't be universally applied, but rather by a game by game basis
  • NateDrake mentioned that with the Nintendo Switch's successor's SoC supporting ray reconstruction, the Nintendo Switch's successor will be able to outpace the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X|S in terms of ray tracing easily, especially as Nvidia further develops the (ray reconstruction) technology, and it can be updated with firmware, which guarantees ray reconstruction can get better on the Nintendo Switch's successor, and that the Nintendo Switch's successor have state of the art technology in comparison to the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X|S
  • When MVG asked for clarification about outperforming the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X|S, NateDrake answered that's strictly for ray tracing and no other category, with MVG mentioning he's seen lots of different takes of how powerful the Nintendo Switch's successor is
  • MVG thinks the Nintendo Switch's successor outpacing the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X|S in terms of ray tracing makes sense since Nintendo's going into a new generation, Nvidia's Nintendo's partner, and Nvidia does have very good state of the art ray tracing techniques
    • MVG mentioned the Nintendo Switch’s successor's hardware is more modern in terms of when the SoC’s been developed and ready
    • Therefore, getting a new generation of ray tracing on consoles makes sense to MVG
  • MVG mentioned talking about the PlayStation 5 Pro having more advanced ray tracing as the potential reason for the PlayStation 5 Pro existing
  • But having new hardware from Nintendo that has advanced ray tracing does make sense to MVG since this is 2024, not sometime in the past, and he expects more advanced ray tracing techniques with the Nintendo Switch's successor
  • NateDrake mentioned the Nintendo Switch's successor's SoC is a custom chip with a custom feature set
    • Therefore, there's no chip(s) that can be used for a 1:1 comparison
  • NateDrake mentioned that back in August 2023, although he heard the version of DLSS the Nintendo Switch's successor uses is DLSS 3.5, it may not be feature complete with DLSS 3.5 on PC, with one feature he heard was being omitted is Frame Generation
    • But since the Nintendo Switch's successor's using a custom feature set, it can support many current technologies Nvidia's bringing to PC, such as ray reconstruction, which is a fairly new release
  • NateDrake said that shows what the Nintendo Switch's successor can have in terms of feature sets, which is basically anything Nvidia wants to put on it at the moment, which allows Nvidia to build a system that performs very admirably for the foreseeable future
  • NateDrake mentioned the SoC is quite well built for Nintendo by Nvidia that has ray reconstruction and other feature sets, which ensures the Nintendo Switch's successor won't be outdated when 2026 comes, and stands the duration of the new generation
    • Therefore, NateDrake thinks Nintendo's very fortunate to have Nvidia as a partner who continues to make huge strides in the mobile market with its technology, and pushes the envelope in terms of PC and mobile technology
  • Although NateDrake mentioned that AMD's a competent company in its own right, crafting fine hardware for the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X|S, Nvidia's far ahead of AMD in terms of AI technologies (e.g. DLSS, ray reconstruction) and many other things
  • NateDrake said raw power doesn't really matter anymore, but rather the feature sets supported, and how much RAM the Nintendo Switch's successor has, are important, since ray reconstruction and DLSS 3.5 allow for high image quality at only a fraction of the raw power compared to other platforms
  • MVG agrees, saying that bar charts in terms of the largest TFLOPS, the largest performance, etc., are no longer important
    • MVG said that key updates in key areas (e.g. loading speeds, enhanced visuals that look and run faster, faster SoC with much improved memory bandwidth and increased memory (capacity)) allow for a system that's not only more powerful than the previous generation, but also can still run with a battery life of 2-6 hours
    • MVG mentioned that Nintendo's very careful in providing a system that has some semblance of decent battery life
  • Therefore, MVG thinks Nintendo kind of has the golden ticket with Nvidia as Nintendo's partner, with Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo's competition, are partnering with AMD
  • MVG mentioned that when Nintendo partnered with Nvidia on the Nintendo Switch, people were hesitant about how well Nintendo's and Nvidia's partnership would work
    • But Nintendo's and Nvidia's partnership worked out really well for Nintendo, and Nvidia hasn't stop iterating on mobile SoCs
    • Therefore, MVG thinks what people will ultimately see from the Nintendo Switch's successor will be very impressive
  • MVG also thinks the Nintendo Switch's successor will be a fast system, but only due to the new feature sets and technologies being introduced, since it won't be competing in terms of specs in any other way, except for being a very optimised and fast hybrid system that makes games run faster, look better, and load faster, which are the key areas MVG believes Nintendo needs to focus on, which is obviously the case
  • NateDrake thinks this is a case of working smarter, not harder, which fits Nintendo's philosophy exceptionally well, since Nintendo's not trying to compete in terms of brute force and raw computation, but rather making its platform efficient, which is a smart direction
    • NateDrake thinks the (video game) industry will be heading in that direction in the upcoming generation, thanks to Nvidia changing the game, showing technologies, such as DLSS, and other companies are developing competitors to DLSS (e.g. AMD with FSR), where brute force won't be carrying any type of computation, but rather AI will be rendering, which allows for outperforming what the raw specs say
  • NateDrake's interested to see how the Nintendo Switch's successor's SoC performs
  • NateDrake thinks it would be an interesting day if Nintendo's the market leader in terms of ray tracing with the Nintendo Switch's successor, Sony's the market leader in terms of resolution with the PlayStation 5 Pro, and Microsoft's the market leader in terms of frame rates
  • MVG mentioned being excited for the future, thinking that Nintendo will have a very successful decade, and maybe beyond that
  • NateDrake's looking forward to seeing the first trailers of games coming to the Nintendo Switch's successor when Nintendo announces it, considering that the mobile market has advanced with Resident Evil Village coming to iPhones out of all platforms

Last edited:
What's more likely?:

-The video being privated has some other, wonky reason behind it that we can't quite figure out, and is unrelated to the new console
I'd argue that people have been in the 'right mental state' for a Switch successor for a while now. Even the most ardent Switch lovers can agree that the hardware is starting to show its age— and the hunger for NG also leads some to believe weird rumors like 'Switch 2 will have a Switch 1 GPU in it'. Now would be a great time to release some info and let fans know they can sit tight and wait for the full announcement.

Nothing about what you said here is an impediment, rumours have a non-existent history of leaking presentations remotely as big as a console reveal. I'm not sure what you mean by "build hype and getting people in the right mindset" because every console reveal has been at the very least, greatly unexpected and sometimes at the expense of the marketing campaign of other games going for years (see TLOU2 and PS5).
Basically the exact opposite is true of the PS5. Sony had already given a rough release window by late 2019!

And there was obviously a whole cycle of rumours and leaks for the NX that lasted years. Console reveals are highly anticipated, it's all part of it

I'd argue that people have been in the 'right mental state' for a Switch successor for a while now. Even the most ardent Switch lovers can agree that the hardware is starting to show its age— and the hunger for NG also leads some to believe weird rumors like 'Switch 2 will have a Switch 1 GPU in it'. Now would be a great time to release some info and let fans know they can sit tight and wait for the full announcement.
This is fair and probably true for a lot of people, I just don't think Nintendo has really communicated that new hardware is coming, so people aren't really waiting for it. I mean, we are, but we're not a great representation of the median Nintendo fan. So people may want it, but it's still desirable to have a hype cycle around the successor, and Nintendo hasn't really facilitated that at all

Basically the exact opposite is true of the PS5. Sony had already given a rough release window by late 2019!

And there was obviously a whole cycle of rumours and leaks for the NX that lasted years. Console reveals are highly anticipated, it's all part of it
Do you know that was official from Sony's side, no? You're arguing about rumours, those haven't managed to pull off anything remotely like that and for Switch 2's case, Nintendo has already stated several times before they'll have a very thin announcement-release window, this is not happening for them unless they were coming from another huge flop.

That’s not how it works, at all.

In Cerny’s words even PS4 to PS5 translation layer was extremely complex and required years of development.

Well, it's a damn good thing we've had many years to develop it since the release of the Switch. So what was your point? Being overly pedantic about the word 'simple' because it's vastly more simple relative to trying to integrate the X1 into the new Switch?

I can't say exactly what was depreciated on the AMD side that needed to be translated (or did they even translate vs building in legacy functions?), but AFAIK only a handful of Maxwell shaders would need to be translated to Ampere-compatible types for Nintendo.

Last edited:
Okay, but if you're out there going on circles for the same freaking thing since even before the recent occurrence... Idk, the rest of the thread posters have already taken a break to wait and see what happens in the next week, a couple of guys left still beating the "2024 march reveal" horse before the end of the october sounds rushed to do.

I'm not sure if you're serious...
i was responding to someone else's post in a discussion thread - doesn't seem that ridiculous to me. it's just as useless to comment on other people commenting on something just because you don't like hearing about it.

also didn't realize we all made a collective decision to not mention march 2024 reveal anymore! 😵‍💫

edit: @ziggyrivers he does say in the beginning that it's on Spotify.

i was responding to someone's else's post in a discussion thread - doesn't seem that ridiculous to me. it's just as useless to comment on other people commenting on something just because you don't like hearing about it.

also didn't realize we all made a collective decision to not mention march 2024 reveal anymore! 😵‍💫

edit: @ziggyrivers he does say in the beginning that it's on Spotify.
Well, you don't frequent this thread very much it's the thing. This has been discussed by users for literal months straight and now that we finally have a worthy occurrence to bet on things... It's natural to expect for the dust to settle before trying to business as usual, and it's yet to do so.

Well, you don't frequent this thread very much it's the thing. This has been discussed by users for literal months straight and now that we finally have a worthy occurrence to bet on things... It's natural to expect for the dust to settle before trying to business as usual, and it's yet to do so.
well, i did just create an account not a few weeks ago lol. so, no harm no foul.

Also, random thought: what if the Switch 2 isn’t BC, but you can buy a modular cartridge drive for Switch 1 games?

You'd still need the translation layer in the hardware for Switch 1 games to work. At that point, why even bother with making it modular and just build it in to begin with?

Do you know that was official from Sony's side, no? You're arguing about rumours, those haven't managed to pull off anything remotely like that and for Switch 2's case, Nintendo has already stated several times before they'll have a very thin announcement-release window, this is not happening for them unless they were coming from another huge flop.
That's besides the point. It doesn't matter if the information is official or not, what matters is the expectations built around the hardware, and there's not a lot of that around the Switch 2 among non-enthusiasts. This is even more true for a small reveal to release window, because you need time before the reveal to get people hyped

That's besides the point. It doesn't matter if the information is official or not, what matters is the expectations built around the hardware, and there's not a lot of that around the Switch 2 among non-enthusiasts. This is even more true for a small reveal to release window, because you need time before the reveal to get people hyped
Not necessarily, Nintendo doesn't care about rumours and what they do. They'll reveal their system when they feel like it, and this "time" to get hyped you're referring to will be between the announcement (which is the one we're expecting the most) to the release (march 2024 if it's announced this year). The leaks you're looking for are all going to come from manufacturing, if Nintendo announces it before any workers get the chance to leak they'll never happen at first place, as simple as that.

I’m watching Nate video so I’m not finished. Nate brought up the 2 SKU’s and saying it shouldn’t be dismissed with todays world.

I don’t have a problem with a digital only SKU. My issue is the digital only sku not even being BC. I’m sorry no no no. Yes the companies have to push us into a digital future

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom