• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

but that after hearing the recent rumor about the digital only SKU he thinks (and emphasizes this part is him speculating) that what he heard might have meant that the digital only SKU would only have digital BC.
3aa091f9a41ec205d13afad0a0514cb1a7-cage-meme.w250.jpg

(not directed at you of course)

The all digital model won't lack BC, so unfortunately we know that the whole leak is bunk if that's pretty much all it was to begin with. Meaning this "leak" is likely also bunk.

However!

There's a chance that they're not ALL bunk, and that they've seen some early marketing materials, indicating two models, with one not having a Game Card slot and a disclaimer stating it's not compatible with Nintendo Switch Game Cards. That could be possible and could indicate a reveal soon.

But there isn't a world where they release two models at the same time where one lacks BC when they use the same software and the same SOC. Be serious.
I've been thinking thye may intentionally make it not have BC and charge people $50 extra for BC and a card slot. It could suck, but that's the worst case scenario if any of this is true.

my take on the digital two-sku crap, assuming it holds any water, would be that the new system doesn't actually use game cards. the physical sku would have a switch 1 port for switch 1 physicals

Plenty of people in this thread seem to be in a perpetual state of expecting the Switch 2 to release in 5-6 months
Been that way since Porygon lol.
Im with you 100 percent, this is a sensitive time where we really need some legit info and people playing jokes posting fakes just need to crawl and stay under the rocks they came from
not to be that guy but some people here make it way too easy for troll posts/fake rumors to be taken seriously. People need to take a deep breath when they want to jump on something.

my take on the digital two-sku crap, assuming it holds any water, would be that the new system doesn't actually use game cards. the physical sku would have a switch 1 port for switch 1 physicals

So the hypothetical digital-only NG can only do digital? Huh, odd how that works...

(Seriously though, I'm not sure what you're saying lol..)

So the hypothetical digital-only NG can only do digital? Huh, odd how that works...

To be fair, the claim about no digital backward compatibility is a bit confusing. I don't know why anybody would have sort of specific information when it most definitely isn't going to be marketed in such a way. It would simply be "Physical" and "Digital" models, which I find hard to believe already. Nintendo has the least to gain from trying to transition to all-digital, at least for now, and a digital model would be a sign of that. Maybe the "NG Switch Lite" will be an all-digital model, I can definitely see them doing that, but at launch, it doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm saying there are no switch 2 game cards, and that a physical model would specifically exist for users with a physical switch 1 collection to play BC

I'm saying there are no switch 2 game cards, and that a physical model would specifically exist for users with a physical switch 1 collection to play BC
Well, I wouldn't expect to see game card slot for something labeled "digital only" so I'm still confused by what you stated (TBF I can be dense sometimes and not get things right away).

Unless you're suggesting there'll be no Switch 2 game cards at all? And that the "physical" version of NG would only play Switch 1 physical gamecards, but won't be used for Switch 2 gamecards, because there'd be no such thing as Switch 2 gamecards? That would be terrible.

Well, I wouldn't expect to see game card slot for something labeled "digital only" so I'm still confused by what you stated (TBF I can be dense sometimes and not get things right away).

Unless you're suggesting there'll be no Switch 2 game cards at all? And that the "physical" version of NG would only play Switch 1 physical gamecards, but won't be used for Switch 2 gamecards, because there'd be no such thing as Switch 2 gamecards? That would be terrible.
i think thats exactly what he is saying

i think thats exactly what he is saying
Ah okay. Should we even entertain this theory? I cannot see Nintendo packing a huge internal drive for Switch 2 usage due to non-existence of Switch 2 gamecards.. If we got Switch 2-only games like RDR2, the next Monster Hunter game, the next Legend of Zelda epic, etc.. it's going to fill up our internal drives in a hurry. Even with a slot for additional microSD or whatever card.. I just don't see it.

that's exactly it! I think it's kinda terrible too.

Okay. Two SKUs on the market isn’t confusing.

One digital only, one physical.

What’d be confusing as fuck is releasing a
Physical version that only reads previous gen games because next gen is all exclusive.

Assuming Nintendo sticks to the Switch format for future consoles. Approximately what raw performance do you reckon we can expect from a Switch 3 and past that do you reckon that the appeal for a home console such as a PlayStation or Xbox will diminish given that graphical fidelity will see diminishing returns.
It's hard to say because we don't know to what extent developers will be able to afford using the full power of those future consoles.

Well, if they were to make boosted (patched) versions of old titles, we’d run into the whole “the full game isn’t on the card and a download is required” argument again

Dude, I've been around these places for a long time but trolls ramping up in this exact moment is an interesting casualty at best... Even they know something's coming! /s
At this point even if Nintendo doesn't reveal it I'm expecting some new info about NG to drop/leak relatively soon, like around the release date of Wonder or the following week.

I've been called sexy a few times.
yeah but statistically so has Mitch McConnell

and trout gore — by me, from a painting-it-later standpoint

none of which is to say you’re a cloven fish corpse shaped like Mitch McConnell, just musing on the spray-‘n’-pray model of the adjective

i’m sure you’re the spicy king of chowder town

the real question is —

will the New! Switch Super Mama Drake 2 be svelte enough to be considered “sexy” by adjective-sowers — and beyond that, the salt-of-the-earth common device-enjoyer?

yeah but statistically so has Mitch McConnell

and trout gore — by me, from a painting-it-later standpoint

none of which is to say you’re a cloven fish corpse shaped like Mitch McConnell, just musing on the spray-‘n’-pray model of the adjective

i’m sure you’re the spicy king of chowder town

the real question is —

will the New! Switch Super Mama Drake 2 be svelte enough to be considered “sexy” by adjective-sowers — and beyond that, the salt-of-the-earth common device-enjoyer?
💀

What is the point of a digital only Switch? The cost of a card slot can't be anywhere near a blu-ray drive.,,
I imagine it's less the potential cost cutting that removing a card reader would provide, and more the increased profit margins Nintendo gets from users who can only purchase digitally from the eShop.

Boredom kicking in right now so ignore this post if you don’t want to read fanfiction:

I know that this will probably result in crapshot guesses but…

Assuming Nintendo sticks to the Switch format for future consoles. Approximately what raw performance do you reckon we can expect from a Switch 3 and past that do you reckon that the appeal for a home console such as a PlayStation or Xbox will diminish given that graphical fidelity will see diminishing returns. After all if the game looks and feels the same on my portable Switch as it does on my PlayStation then I’d rather have it on the go?

I’m thinking we might start to see parity with other consoles become a (welcome) trend going forward. That isn’t to say that developers won’t make games that will push the hardware of current/upcoming console generations but that the cutbacks and downsizing between ports will simply be about getting rid of the excesses with little compromise to the experience. I think this will be the case as once every console Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft reaches a certain performance baseline games will begin to look good despite any potential cutbacks. I think an example is that even though Fortnite is trimmed heavily on the Switch it still looks graphically better than most if not all Wii games from a decade prior and probably a lot of the PS3 and Xbox 360 games. (Probably not the best example so feel free to replace Fortnite with your game of choice) So 10 years from now, we can expect the worst looking games from future consoles to look better than the best looking games do today and past that the differences will be so minute that turning down a few settings will still produce amazing fidelity but great performance because you decided to not animated every blade of grass on a future switch as opposed to doing so on a future PlayStation.

I also wonder if we will see a NG Switch Pro this time around because the Switch’s lifecycle was unusual and I don’t believe Nintendo will assume the Switch 2 will have as much longevity. If so maybe we can expect a performance increase that places it solidly above an Xbox Series S and makes it far more comparable to a PS5 or XSX. I do believe that if this does happen then we could maybe see some AAA third party games land on said system. Though maybe they’d make it available only via eshop as Nintendo would want to avoid Timmy’s mum going to the store and buying Timmy the new popular third party game on his regular switch and then it doesn’t work because it’s only meant for the switch Pro. Then maybe we could see a storage increase on a switch pro to accommodate this.

To be honest just throwing around empty thoughts but discussing non-existent potential plans is a fun thought experiment at least for me. :p
I can't say much as to what the raw performance would be from a Switch 3 but if the next generation Switch lasts as long in the market as the original, it would perhaps be reasonable to expect it to be compatible with games running with PS5 target spec hardware in mind. And if NVIDIA and Nintendo continue their partnership, it could also perhaps be reasonable to expect better compatibility with path-traced rendering pipelines to some degree (which Ampere is also technically capable of). If I'm to use Fortnite as an example, if Switch 2 can run it at 720p at 30FPS with Lumen and Nanite enabled with TSR/DLSS in handheld mode, Switch 3 would likely be able to run that version at 60 at an even higher resolution target like 900p-1080p with the same feature-set (assuming it's not running a potential UE6 version of Fortnite at different resolution and framerate targets already). In fact if they use additional neural-rendering features that might not have been introduced just yet, we could even be seeing a handheld screen that's 1440p or 4K resolution.

As for whether that will result in diminishing returns in terms of dedicated console graphics, that's yet to be seen - we don't know much about the next-generation Microsoft and Sony consoles apart from some plans. They could have features that we do not know of as of yet and could make a compelling case for a dedicated home console experience just like I know in spite of Switch 2 coming out the current-gen consoles absolutely will - I can already imagine games running at higher frame-rates on the other consoles but locked to 30 on the next Switch. It's in no way a deal-breaker but it is certainly compelling for people who don't want to game on PC/enjoy timed console exclusives easily.

Obviously it’s happened throughout history. It’s a much bigger factor now compared to then. More are on board with digital compared to nearly 2 decades ago…Microsoft will make the hard push and everyone else will follow
It certainly has a larger customer base now than it did then for sure, but removing it altogether strikes me as unnecessary unless it's accompanied by a price drop and/or included digital games.

I can't say much as to what the raw performance would be from a Switch 3 but if the next generation Switch lasts as long in the market as the original, it would perhaps be reasonable to expect it to be compatible with games running with PS5 target spec hardware in mind. And if NVIDIA and Nintendo continue their partnership, it could also perhaps be reasonable to expect better compatibility with path-traced rendering pipelines to some degree (which Ampere is also technically capable of). If I'm to use Fortnite as an example, if Switch 2 can run it at 720p at 30FPS with Lumen and Nanite enabled with TSR/DLSS in handheld mode, Switch 3 would likely be able to run that version at 60 at an even higher resolution target like 900p-1080p with the same feature-set (assuming it's not running a potential UE6 version of Fortnite at different resolution and framerate targets already). In fact if they use additional neural-rendering features that might not have been introduced just yet, we could even be seeing a handheld screen that's 1440p or 4K resolution.

As for whether that will result in diminishing returns in terms of dedicated console graphics, that's yet to be seen - we don't know much about the next-generation Microsoft and Sony consoles apart from some plans. They could have features that we do not know of as of yet and could make a compelling case for a dedicated home console experience just like I know in spite of Switch 2 coming out the current-gen consoles absolutely will - I can already imagine games running at higher frame-rates on the other consoles but locked to 30 on the next Switch. It's in no way a deal-breaker but it is certainly compelling for people who don't want to game on PC/enjoy timed console exclusives easily.

Honestly I think one of the biggest benefits the Switch 3 will have is that it won't really need to crank resolutions. 1080p via DLSS Quality in handheld mode and 2160p via DLSS Performance when docked should be fine for the foreseeable future. Devs could be allowed to go higher if they wished, but I would prefer that they be allowed to switch to full path-tracing as soon as possible. Switch 3 would have difficulty managing that even in the best-case scenario.

Just caught up the past five pages and what I took away from it is that NateDrake is sexy and the new switch is a chicken sandwich.

Did I miss anything else?

The physical Switch 1 model theory would suck so much, not just because a digital only Switch 2 would suck but also because it would basically mean that there's no way Switch 3 would be BC with Switch 1 games.

Also if Nintendo goes the digital only route, this is the first Nintendo console model I'm skipping at launch since the DS Lite, and the first since I'm not getting in its first few months on the market since the Gamecube. I was there for everything else, for every model. I'll still buy one because I'm a sucker but I'll buy it used once it has games I can't possibly ignore.

A digital only SKU that doesnt even have digital BC would be a disaster. Even the Series S is still backwards compatible with digital XBO games.

Switch physical to digital ratio is 70-30. They ain't going digital only yet, especially with how much they target younger audiences. There's too much money in parents walking down the game aisle looking for a game for their kid's birthday/christmas/some event. This is the same reason why I doubt a Lite version of the Switch 2 would be digital only, it's a console aimed at kids.

Switch physical to digital ratio is 70-30. They ain't going digital only yet, especially with how much they target younger audiences. There's too much money in parents walking down the game aisle looking for a game for their kid's birthday/christmas/some event. This is the same reason why I doubt a Lite version of the Switch 2 would be digital only, it's a console aimed at kids.
doubtful with the 70:30 split but I agree with the way physical as a gift from parents. You get a present on Christmas, open the box and poof, a new game. This shit cannot happen in Digital. I think people often forget that Nintendo is mainly a Toy Company.

doubtful with the 70:30 split but I agree with the way physical as a gift from parents. You get a present on Christmas, open the box and poof, a new game. This shit cannot happen in Digital. I think people often forget that Nintendo is mainly a Toy Company.
I remember seeing this number discussed a lot in this thread but I can't find it right now. The search function keeps giving me errors and I don't know why lol

Doesnt here says that nintendo digital sales were like 48.2 % until august of this year? or im not interpretating this correctly?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2023/230509_3e.pdf

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom