• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

You came back with new banters eh ? Welcome back. If it was my art I would have shilled it here instead of killing it.

I've first seen it on this french famous youtube channel today

OfjKsOW.png

Oh and you and @GigaUltraMoon forgot your hat

aluminium-foil-hat-isolated-on-white-background-symbol-for-conspiracy-theory-and-mind-control.jpg

Have a lovely day and do not forget to Trust the Process

I can see you becoming thread banned again if you carry on this charade.

Just hold back on the obviously fake stuff as it can derail the thread a bit.

Last edited:
You came back with new banters eh ? Welcome back. If it was my art I would have shilled it here instead of killing it.

I've first seen it on this french famous youtube channel today and wanted to warn about and kill this fake leak here before it spreads (Hi Nintendo Focus)

OfjKsOW.png

Oh and you and @GigaUltraMoon forgot your hat

aluminium-foil-hat-isolated-on-white-background-symbol-for-conspiracy-theory-and-mind-control.jpg

Have a lovely day and do not forget to Trust the Process
but do you understand the transitive verb thing

you found it almost as soon as it was uploaded on a brand new account with no hashtags or anything that would draw attention to the profile
It does have hashtags though. The account replied to its own tweet with some Nintendo hashtags eight hours before P4blo posted about it here:

I can see you becoming thread banned again if you carry on this charade.
Sorry P4bs, but for once I agree with Yolk.

While according to cough some people, my agreement de-facto means it won't happen, I'd still rather not see you banned.

Sorry P4bs, but for once I agree with Yolk.

While according to cough some people, my agreement de-facto means it won't happen, I'd still rather not see you banned.

I'm of good faith and being accused of "creating things" while all I'm doing is warning the community about the fake leaks instead of entertaining it like I had done in the past.

All I get is being cyber bullied for it, this ain't fair game, I've served my sentence already

I'm of good faith and being accused of "creating things" while all I'm doing is warning the community about the fake leaks instead of entertaining it like I had done in the past.

All I get is being cyber bullied for it, this ain't fair game, I've served my sentence already
If you are the only one here who suffers from it, you should consider why

Didn‘t you post a lot of 4Chan Stuff in this thread in the past? I feel like we all have our fair share of history in hyping ourselves too much, but then had to learn from it and it‘s true for you too I feel like.

important question

does H1 mean first half of 2024 or is it Hi in P4bl0 text

Double Entendre
Just hold back on the obviously fake stuff as it can derail the thread a bit.

Copy

Didn‘t you post a lot of 4Chan Stuff in this thread in the past? I feel like we all have our fair share of hyping ourselves too much, but then had to learn from it and it‘s true for you too I feel like.

Yes I did, I used to hype myself too much so I can reflect on those times now to not reproduce the same mistakes

I get it, it's an awful lot of attention over something so minor. People might feel a little burnt over some of your previous actions. My feelings are that if one doesn't like a user, one can always ignore them. I can't say I don't make liberal use of the feature myself. Though there are things you can do. If you feel like you're getting worked up, it might be best to take a deep breath and take a break from the thread. Even I have to do that sometimes. Personally, I like having all sorts posting all sorts, obscure mock-ups or detailed explanations, but not everyone likes everything, and it's important not to take that personally.

I also understand it can be difficult if there's a language barrier, in which case consider that it might not necessarily be anyone's fault and just a matter of miscommunication.

We're all here to speculate, even if it can be fun to rag on someone, it's not fun for the person being ragged on and it's not fun for anyone NOT doing the ragging; which is the majority. That goes in all directions.

Keep calm and carry on, in short.

The battery life wouldn't matter because when people talk about it matching the Series S or PS4 Pro they're talking about docked mode. The cooling would be perfectly fine, you underestimate the performance-per-watt of an ARM N4P chip vs an x86 N7 chip.

That's reassuring, thanks. Like I said, I ain't no tech head, I have little to no clue how all this sorcery works. As a child, I thought there was magic inside the 2600 carts and the TV was another dimension in a box.

By this point Xbox/Playstation/Nintendo will not be redundant any time soon, they all have separate ecosystems with different selling points and exclusives. Nintendo do have some overlaps though with a lot of people having Switch as their secondary console in the US while having Xbox/Playstation as their main console. So maybe some people would no longer use a Switch 2 as their secondary console if the upgrades over Switch is big enough.
Yeah that's what I'm arguing that people would wager that they don't need that main console anymore. Well we'll see.

But they aren't, are they? It's been directed at me! Half a dozen times!

I'm not some victim or anything, it's not like I'm being bullied, but people do like to find themselves a focal point for their frustration. I only hope people try and focus on a thing and not a person. No matter what you think, Pablo is a person.

Well. Usually a person. 🤖

Most peeps on this thread: “show me the specs this thing will have”

Me: “show me the colors this thing will launch with”
Matte black everything. 🫠

Personally my hope is brushed metal body and black Joy-Con 2.0, with the black OLED Model dock.

Barring that? BRING ON THE BLUE. Navy anodised aluminium with crimson and black Joy-Con...

I've first seen it on this french famous youtube channel today and wanted to warn about and kill this fake leak here before it spreads (Hi Nintendo Focus)
This guy is very well known and infamous by the french for reporting ANYTHING about the NG Switch, even the obvious BS.

Matte black everything. 🫠

Personally my hope is brushed metal body and black Joy-Con 2.0, with the black OLED Model dock.

Barring that? BRING ON THE BLUE. Navy anodised aluminium with crimson and black Joy-Con...
Nice, I wouldn't mind if they brought some indigo again.

Just fyi in case you are actually being sincere here: There has been a history of people creating accounts here on Fami and alts on other social media sites, then crossposting their own made-up "leaks" to try and gain clout. It's not that people are trying to bully you, it's that we've had this happen multiple times before so people are leery of behavior that looks similar. Also the kerfuffle that went down before your ban causes a bit of a high-alert situation when it looks like you're doing more of the same, whether you mean to or not.

Not tryina dogpile and I really hope it doesn't seem to you like I am, just want to help you understand why the vibes are weird around that post in case you're genuinely not meaning to cause trouble.

I get it, it's an awful lot of attention over something so minor. People might feel a little burnt over some of your previous actions. My feelings are that if one doesn't like a user, one can always ignore them. I can't say I don't make liberal use of the feature myself. Though there are things you can do. If you feel like you're getting worked up, it might be best to take a deep breath and take a break from the thread. Even I have to do that sometimes. Personally, I like having all sorts posting all sorts, obscure mock-ups or detailed explanations, but not everyone likes everything, and it's important not to take that personally.

I also understand it can be difficult if there's a language barrier, in which case consider that it might not necessarily be anyone's fault and just a matter of miscommunication.

We're all here to speculate, even if it can be fun to rag on someone, it's not fun for the person being ragged on and it's not fun for anyone NOT doing the ragging; which is the majority. That goes in all directions.

Keep calm and carry on, in short.

I have Pablo on ignore and it does nothing because I still see the dozens of replies to his inane posts. I tend to skip them, but when the replies are like 25% of the page (like right now), I just leave the thread hoping that by next time I come back, he's either threadbanned for good or people have stopped replying to him.

If you’re starting a new format. Niche isn’t a problem anymore since it’s still better than starting from zero. They can still release branded version if they want the revenues. I don’t see Nintendo putting in the effort to do a new format unless it’s to avoid licensing fees like the WiiU disc. Even then it’s a slight modification (love the rounded edges though) of an existing format so price and speed limitations still applies.

I mean just the rudimentary math but if Nintendo locks in external storage basically is only one ticket in town (Nintendo's), the revenue gain could be significant, if they sell say 150-200 million "Nintendo Drive" cards (based on a Switch 2 userbase of over 100 million again) at a $10 profit margin per unit, when then that's like 2 billion dollars in extra profit revenue over the life cycle of the system. And that's probably on the low end

That's not a bad chunk of change at all.

People can't really complain that Nintendo is screwing them over by moving away from a open source SD Card setup, because Nintendo can just say SD Cards are simply not good enough performance wise to match their rising internal flash storage speeds and they had to make a format optimized to run for their new console. And really you can't say a whole lot to that because more or less they would be correct.

The people here aren't stupid :)
Their post was literally "lol look at this fake leaker they aren't even trying", something I have seen other people do in this thread (such as in reaction to the "Switch Focus" fake, the "Switch Next" fake, and that one mock-up which couldnt use + and - simultaneously) and those times people understood it as such so why not this time?

Most peeps on this thread: “show me the specs this thing will have”

Me: “show me the colors this thing will launch with”
ah good, another chance for me to bring up Atomic Purple

I'd take navy anodized aluminum with maching joy-cons and silver buttons plz

This thread can be a bit unwelcoming for new members at times given it‘s nature of being a long running discussion for several years literally spanning over two forums.

There are certain customs in here which when you aren‘t aware of them you could get really fast in a position were you get the target of other users (for example posting "obvious" fake leaks or being self righteous about a point they make). If you are new to forums and don‘t know when to drop it, the situation only gets worse and kinda toxic.

I honestly don‘t know how to completely avoid this situations, but I feel like the best strategy is to ignore posts of said users and just report it. This usually has the best learning effect for the user and the discussion can continue without much interruption.

I mean just the rudimentary math but if Nintendo locks in external storage basically is only one ticket in town (Nintendo's), the revenue gain could be significant, if they sell say 150-200 million "Nintendo Drive" cards (based on a Switch 2 userbase of over 100 million again) at a $10 profit margin per unit, when then that's like 2 billion dollars in extra profit revenue over the life cycle of the system. And that's probably on the low end

That's not a bad chunk of change at all.

People can't really complain that Nintendo is screwing them over by moving away from a open source SD Card setup, because Nintendo can just say SD Cards are simply not good enough performance wise to match their rising internal flash storage speeds and they had to make a format optimized to run for their new console. And really you can't say a whole lot to that because more or less they would be correct.
Why do that when:

Nintendo already has input on SDe

They could licence a "Works with Nintendo Switch Soup Edition" icon since compatibility with SDe cards varies.

Investing into an entirely new and unique format is expensive and could make those profits a LOT less than 10 dollars after R&D.

The slot could be backwards compatible with existing MicroSD XC cards.

Or they could do both, and follow Microsoft's example, of using an existing technology (SDe) but only allowing users to use specific Nintendo licenced "Nintendo Expansion Cards" on their system. In fact this could be both profitable and a plain good idea, since SDe standard varies, and for 1GB/s you only need the lowest spec, lowest power consumption SDe cards. Nintendo pushes the standard by enforcing it, more or less, like Microsoft does with CFe.

Metallic buttons sound like a nightmare.

-sent from my OnePlus whatever with its metal buttons which I dislike compared to the clicky plastic of Nintendo Switch.
this shouldn't have any bearing on how they feel

joy-con buttons use distended metal plate switches which give them their click

I have Pablo on ignore and it does nothing because I still see the dozens of replies to his inane posts. I tend to skip them, but when the replies are like 25% of the page (like right now), I just leave the thread hoping that by next time I come back, he's either threadbanned for good or people have stopped replying to him.
I also have Pablo on ignore.

Why is he so popular around here, y'all keep talking to him?

this shouldn't have any bearing on how they feel

joy-con buttons use distended metal plate switches which give them their click
Aye, aye, but the metal button would have to make a sacrifice. Either it has to be hollow, sacrificing feel, or it has to be heavy, sacrificing feel. I wouldn't HATE metal buttons but I actually LIKE ABS!

I want a metal console for practical (cooling and sturdiness) and aesthetic reasons, and I think given their track record, Nintendo has a decent shot of going ahead with such a concept, but I like my controllers soft and hard wearing. I'd take recycled plastic even over metal for controllers.

But... recycled metal? 👀 If they go with recycled materials and an all-metal build, the sacrifices of feel would hardly matter due to the COOL factor.

Metallic buttons sound like a nightmare.

-sent from my OnePlus whatever with its metal buttons which I dislike compared to the clicky plastic of Nintendo Switch.
Oh I just meant silver in color, not necessarily silver as in brushed aluminum or anything. As rad as that'd look. 👀

Their post was literally "lol look at this fake leaker they aren't even trying", something I have seen other people do in this thread (such as in reaction to the "Switch Focus" fake, the "Switch Next" fake, and that one mock-up which couldnt use + and - simultaneously) and those times people understood it as such so why not this time?
history of posting anything and everything, though policing peoples posts is my mistake i'll admit

Oh I just meant silver in color, not necessarily silver as in brushed aluminum or anything. As rad as that'd look. 👀
Metallic plastic I'm always wary of. Plus I hope Nintendo sticks with matte finishes for their buttons, they're the only one left who does so.

But why is Tegra X1 so light in color?
Hopefully Switch2 will improve the color contrast.

It's not really a fair comparison, the Tegra footage is recorded by a cell phone of a projected screen, it's like comparing someone taking their camera out and recording the screen in a movie theater and comparing that to a direct still image released from the movie studio.

Why do that when:

Nintendo already has input on SDe

They could licence a "Works with Nintendo Switch Soup Edition" icon since compatibility with SDe cards varies.

Investing into an entirely new and unique format is expensive and could make those profits a LOT less than 10 dollars after R&D.

The slot could be backwards compatible with existing MicroSD XC cards.

Or they could do both, and follow Microsoft's example, of using an existing technology (SDe) but only allowing users to use specific Nintendo licenced "Nintendo Expansion Cards" on their system. In fact this could be both profitable and a plain good idea, since SDe standard varies, and for 1GB/s you only need the lowest spec, lowest power consumption SDe cards. Nintendo pushes the standard by enforcing it, more or less, like Microsoft does with CFe.

Why let anyone else have that money period when you could have it? I doubt the group behind SDe is going to be giving Nintendo a big cut of their pie at all, so why even share a pie when you can just bake your own and have the whole thing to yourself.

I don't think the format would be anything too exotic either, probably just some kind of UFS rip off, the same way GameCube discs are really just a DVD rip off, Wii/Wii U, etc. So I don't know if the R&D cost would necessarily have to be sky high.

The argument in the past always was "Fucking Sony! Greedy bastards not letting us use SD Cards on Vita and forcing us to buy this damn proprietary card!!". Sony wanted to sell proprietary cards on Vita because they knew it would be a lucrative revenue source, but gamers got upset and pissy about it.

But right now? Nintendo has all the reason they need to justify a proprietary format. "Maximum performance your Switch 2 needs! Hey it's not our fault, we had to do this, SD Cards are just way too slow. This is part of ensuring a better game experience, so our developers can be assured the speed is there on every format! You don't want slow ass data speed do you?". And really they will get away with it, no one is really going to argue that hard against that.

Last edited:
Why let anyone else have that money period when you could have it? I doubt the group behind SDe is going to be giving Nintendo a big cut of their pie at all, so why even share a pie when you can just bake your own and have the whole thing to yourself.

The argument in the past always was "Fucking Sony! Greedy bastards not letting us use SD Cards on Vita and forcing us to buy this damn proprietary card!!". Sony wanted to sell proprietary cards on Vita because they knew it would be a lucrative revenue source, but gamers got upset and pissy about it.

But right now? Nintendo has all the reason they need to justify a proprietary format. "Maximum performance your Switch 2 needs! Hey it's not our fault, we had to this, part of better game experiences, so our developers can be assured the speed is there on every format! We had to do it!". And really no one can really argue against that.
Those were just repackaged existing MMC. That's what I'm suggesting: create a format Nintendo can slather a margin on top of by just... forcing people to buy special, Nintendo blessed SDe.

I'm sure it's been calculated somewhere in the last 1570 pages, but do you know how fast (ms) the Series S, X and PS5 can do FSR 2? Would it be markedly slower than Drake can do DLLS?
I did some ballparking on it using these numbers from AMD and similar numbers from Nvidia. On paper, FSR2 is slower on machines of the same performance. In practice, AMD has been really aggressive in supporting partners, and even customizing FSR for games. So benchmarks might make FSR2 look a little better than the tech is "generically".

There is a decent amount of ambiguity in scaling the official FSR and DLSS numbers down to machines as small as the Series S and Drake - but I would say roughly the same? Optimistic Drake number, ~2ms, pessimistic number, ~6ms. Optimistic Series S number, ~3ms, pessimistic number, ~8ms.

Which is, to be clear, a big Drake win. Imagine if DLSS didn't exist, and Drake was forced to use FSR. It would almost certainly run slower than Series S.

@oldpuck @ILikeFeet @Thraktor and others, how do you guys know so much about hardware stuff like SoCs, chiplets etc...? Is it your job? I genuinely find the area so fascinating and am interested to hear how you guys got into it. Maybe PC gaming? Are one of you guys secretly Mr. Furukawa in disguise?
Honestly, a decent chunk of it is me becoming obsessed with gaming again after the Switch, and learning from those 2 + everyone else in this thread.

But the rest is somewhat job related. I have, in the past, been a programmer and later a performance engineer for High Performance Computing. When I started hanging in the thread I didn't know jack about consoles, which are their own weird world, but AI and GPU compute I had a little experience with through work. When folks started speculating about the theoretical performance of an Orin base console, I knew that I had background to at least read the docs and analyze the benchmarks.

If there is a technical skill that I think I bring to the table, it's that last one*. My hardware knowledge mostly comes from trying to figure out why the software doesn't scale like it looks like it should, then either finding it in the docs, or getting someone here to explain it to me.

*Not that I haven't been wrong, I really convinced myself that 8nm was viable, power-wise, for a long time, by over-extrapolating.

I see. However, in fact, Zelda and Smash on Switch are very light in color.
QWYO7K1.jpg
That has nothing to do with the SOC, since both Wii U and Nintendo Switch are SDR only, and everything to do with artstyle, or what the Devs choose to do.

Those were just repackaged existing MMC. That's what I'm suggesting: create a format Nintendo can slather a margin on top of by just... forcing people to buy special, Nintendo blessed SDe.

I mean would the SDe group still be getting a large cut too? Because if so, you might as well just cut them out entirely, as Nintendo did with all their disc formats (DVD consortium, Blu-Ray group didn't get a penny from Nintendo).

I want a metal console for practical (cooling and sturdiness) and aesthetic reasons, and I think given their track record, Nintendo has a decent shot of going ahead with such a concept, but I like my controllers soft and hard wearing. I'd take recycled plastic even over metal for controllers.

But... recycled metal? 👀 If they go with recycled materials and an all-metal build, the sacrifices of feel would hardly matter due to the COOL factor.
But if the Switch 2 is made of metal it would get rusty in my sweaty grasp. I sweat when I'm winning.

How do you all think Nintendo will handle BC? Not if it exists or not (let’s assume it will) but how it will be implemented.

Will they just add BC at a hardware level and not care about optimising individual games?

Or will their BC be like a drip feed where they release enhancements of Switch 1 games over time? Kind of like how they seem to have put in work on an enhanced version of BoTW.

Or a combination where they will add BC at hardware level but they will also release big improvements for their games over time?
There will be a software based BC layer on day one which should cover the vast majority of things. They may decide to opt more games in to a higher performance mode over time, but the main refinement that will happen will be focused on correctness.

The main driver for enhancements to existing games will most likely be patches which either remove all performance limits, but still leave the game running under BC, or make the game run fully native.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom