• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

PS4 Pro (+?) level on docked
PS4 Pro "+" would be more powerful than Series S, so your original suspicions were more or less correct.

NG Switch isn't a last gen console. It's a next gen console. People really need to stop framing it as "PS4 but".

Last edited:
FFc-PifVUAABHaM.jpg
MVG Redemption arc begins!

"You get BC, you get BC, and you get BC!!!!"

oprah-you.gif

"EVERYBODY GETS BC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

yeaaaaaaaaaaaa-scream.gif

Baldur's Gate 1+2 Enhanced Editions are on sale on Switch right now. I wonder if BG3 has a chance of launching on NG Switch.
Larian thought Divinity Original Sin 2 was impossible to port on Switch until it happened. I definitely think Switch 2 will get a port down the line.

Last edited:
PS4 Pro "+" would be more powerful than Series S, so your original suspicions were more oress correct.

NG Switch isn't a last gen console. It's a next gen console. People really need to stop framing it as "PS4 but".
All depends how you define power. Do it you mean features, architecture, cpu, memory or do you boil it down to just flop count?

All depends how you define power. Do it you mean features, architecture, cpu, memory or do you boil it down to just flop count?
I'm thinking flop count + features, but no matter how you measure it, it's a generation above PS4. Because it's next gen.

A handheld PS5? No. A next gen handheld, yes.

Baldur's Gate 1+2 Enhanced Editions are on sale on Switch right now. I wonder if BG3 has a chance of launching on NG Switch.
I don't think BG1 and 2 being here have any bearing on 3 coming since the games have different publishers but I think 3 will come regardless, since Larian seem to be fans of the Switch.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm a massive tech head (I'm really not, hence why I'm here), but I have a hard time believing that NG Switch will be in the ballpark of Series S..... Let alone PS4 Pro or One X.

What would the battery life be like? How would they keep it cool? How would they keep the price down so it's a viable mass-market device?

I can just about believe that something around PS4 levels of power in your hand is achievable, with modern components, DLSS, slightly bumped performance when docked...... Anything else seems like a rather expensive pipe dream.

I just don't believe for one second that this new machine will hit the levels some are so staunchly believing it will. There is some level-headedness around here though, so that's reassuring if it turns out that it's running the Matrix demo with a few 'buts' and 'howevers'.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm a massive tech head (I'm really not, hence why I'm here), but I have a hard time believing that NG Switch will be in the ballpark of Series S..... Let alone PS4 Pro or One X.

What would the battery life be like? How would they keep it cool? How would they keep the price down so it's a viable mass-market device?

I can just about believe that something around PS4 levels of power in your hand is achievable, with modern components, DLSS, slightly bumped performance when docked...... Anything else seems like a rather expensive pipe dream.

I just don't believe for one second that this new machine will hit the levels some are so staunchly believing it will. There is some level-headedness around here though, so that's reassuring if it turns out that it's running the Matrix demo with a few 'buts' and 'howevers'.

The battery life wouldn't matter because when people talk about it matching the Series S or PS4 Pro they're talking about docked mode. The cooling would be perfectly fine, you underestimate the performance-per-watt of an ARM N4P chip vs an x86 N7 chip.

I'm thinking flop count + features, but no matter how you measure it, it's a generation above PS4. Because it's next gen.

A handheld PS5? No. A next gen handheld, yes.
Yea I was referring to your comment about pa4+pro better than series s. It's a bit reductionists, but I suppose every console comparison is always going to be. Because every system has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Yes. I'm not one to believe DLSS will make miracles happen. Not when Series S can use the same input resolution and use FSR2.
I mean FSR 2's quality is markedly worse than DLSS at the same input scale, even ignoring the fact DLSS can go as low as 33% scale and still look very good. Wouldn't be surprised if the Switch 2 has better clarity in motion than a series S using FSR at the same or even lower scales. Add that it's hardware accelerated vs. a software implementation and I'd say the Switch 2 has a decent chance of exceeding the series S at least in some aspects.

Last edited:
I feel like, at the end of the day, if FSR ends up being used on Series S, the performance benefits of DLSS, which still are there, aren't enough if both are at performance mode to not avoid lowering settings, and FSR's quality at ultra performance mode is markedly worse than DLSS, then if the choice is between ultra-performance mode and dropping visual settings, DLSS ultra-performance mode is good enough that devs will go with that. I think Ultra Performance mode needs to be accepted as an asset for this system when visual parity with the best of this generation was always a pipe dream.

And I do wonder if that's something on Nintendo's mind, making sure 1080p ultra performance mode is of an acceptable quality in portable mode, it may already be with that smaller screen.

It isn't a first choice necessarily, but it could be what gets games on the system in the worst possible case. Or, the performance difference between DLSS and FSR will be truly wide enough at performance mode that this is a non-issue.

hi famiboards, longtime lurker here

i didn't comment on stuff here before but i love reading this thread because the information and commentary gives me hope the announcement, release and the rest of the journey of the switch 2 is gonna be peak. thanks particularly to oldpuck, thraktor, fwd-bwd, natedrake and necrolipe for keeping me and everyone sane with true updates and accurate tech details :D

Direct next week and some DF Switch 2 discussion on Monday?

doctor-eggman-head-bang-h0su8v1sjajnmb51.gif

Focusing on what John said, I wouldn’t say that they have made a lot of efficiency improvements on the Tegras GoG. They are using an off the shelf ARM CPU here and also they are likely on a more efficient node which is doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

"songs of mystique" probably means there isn't actually any info, right?

I suspect that the delightful songs were about the existence of the Matrix demo

I'm sure it's been calculated somewhere in the last 1570 pages, but do you know how fast (ms) the Series S, X and PS5 can do FSR 2? Would it be markedly slower than Drake can do DLLS?
I don't think anyone has been able to measure that. If we used pc, then on the best of days, the timing is equal (which can be seen in frame rates being equal). There are occasions which dlss outperforms fsr, though, weirdly enough, the times I seen this happen were in fan-made dlss injections

I mean FSR 2's quality is markedly worse than DLSS at the same input scale, even ignoring the fact DLSS can go as low as 33% scale and still look very good. Wouldn't be surprised if the Switch 2 has better clarity in motion than a series S using FSR at the same or even lower scales. Add that it's hardware accelerated vs. a software implementation and I'd say the Switch 2 has a decent chance of exceeding the series S at least in some aspects.
Is the quality worse? Absolutely. But I don't think devs or the audience will care that much.

I don't think anyone has been able to measure that. If we used pc, then on the best of days, the timing is equal (which can be seen in frame rates being equal). There are occasions which dlss outperforms fsr, though, weirdly enough, the times I seen this happen were in fan-made dlss injections
How does that make sense, when 1 runs on dedicated hardware and the other one runs on shader cores?

"Songs of mystique"

Don't give me hope, I can't get hyped, not after what happened in the direct thread.

As a Donkey Kong fan I'm already crushed.

Wasn't Imran one of the "Mario & Rabbids 2 looks too good for switch" people. He might have deets on games, but interpreting tech and visuals? Probably not his forte
Metroid Prime 4 will make everyone question, does Switch can really run this game? Retro Studios tech wizardy, will make Metroid Prime 4 look like a PS4 game, specially if the Xbox Era Nick Baker rumors is true(game look visually unbelievable/incridedable, will be open ended, but not open world

I'm gonna call it ... Nintendo will have a propietary flash storage medium for external cards (or a drive) on Switch 2 because there is no real perfect option available right now and Nintendo has no incentive for the SD Card guys to figure their shit out and people aren't going to be happy having to buy entirely new SD Cards anyway (or CFE or whatever) that they don't already own. Maybe they'll retain a micro SD card slot as a secondary option (use but live with awful loading times), but I can see UFS 3.0 flash internal storage + external cards from Nintendo that are in the same speed range (1200MB/sec max?).

And y'know what? Nintendo will make a fortune selling them, 100+ million hardware units and almost everyone buying 1 or 2 Nintendo memory cards is going to yield them hundreds of millions/billions in revenue.

People really won't be able to complain much either since Nintendo can simply say (and rightfully so), SD Cards are too slow as a primary format and other formats are too niche/expensive/or still too slow so Nintendo had to make their own card.

If you’re starting a new format. Niche isn’t a problem anymore since it’s still better than starting from zero. They can still release branded version if they want the revenues. I don’t see Nintendo putting in the effort to do a new format unless it’s to avoid licensing fees like the WiiU disc. Even then it’s a slight modification (love the rounded edges though) of an existing format so price and speed limitations still applies.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom