• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Yes, I know about the cancelled DS game, however nobody referred to the rumored Switch Metroid game as Metroid Dread before him AFAIK.

And with good reason, because anyone rumoring "Metroid Dread" as a Switch title in 2020-2021 would've been laughed at and ridiculed. Who in their right minds would guess Nintendo would've revisited a very well-known public cancellation like that?
Yeah that's fair!

I think we can agree that in the case of spanish based stuff, that Nash Weedledoodle person might have a legit source, and for everything else just laugh and ignore.

I don’t get the hostility and flaming towards P4bl0.

Yes, his insistence on the dev portal screenshot has been a lot, but it’s just that: insistence. The merits of the “leak’s” validity has been discussed in favor and against it being real, so let’s just move on and see the other trees in the forest.

Like the dev kit in Spain.

Judging by how we haven’t seen pictures of it, it could mean that not everyone has one and that it’d be easy to trace it back.

If MercuryStream was the one that got said devkit, then it could mean that very close devs to Nintendo are getting it only. This year could be the year that 3rd parties get it because of Gamescom and TGS

So he's either full of shit or he occasionally gets real info while also getting lots of fake info.
That guy is a case of a broken clock being right twice a day, for every leak he gets right he has at least 20+ wrong. Nobody takes him seriously in Spanish speaking Nintendo twitter

I think we can agree that in the case of spanish based stuff, that Nash Weedledoodle person might have a legit source, and for everything else just laugh and ignore.
Maybe, I just don't like how he used a fake leak to validate his 'source'. Maybe he doesn't have direct contact with the assumed Mercury Steam so he couldn't check but like cmon frame 1 after seeing an inspect element screenshot you use it for evidence? At that point I just think he heard a thing from a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy and he can't offer anything else.
It's more their illogical and inconsistent arguments as well as their insistence that something is happening. They have obviously dropped the quality of posts here since they joined it's very obvious to idk. They're funny though lol

Yes, his insistence on the dev portal screenshot has been a lot, but it’s just that: insistence. The merits of the “leak’s” validity has been discussed in favor and against it being real, so let’s just move on and see the other trees in the forest.

Like the dev kit in Spain.

Judging by how we haven’t seen pictures of it, it could mean that not everyone has one and that it’d be easy to trace it back.

If MercuryStream was the one that got said devkit, then it could mean that very close devs to Nintendo are getting it only. This year could be the year that 3rd parties get it because of Gamescom and TGS
tbh I think overall it'd be good to somewhat prevent constantly posting rumors/leaks from dubious sources such as random twitter accounts or 4chan, at the very least until more sources are posted that corroborate the original leak.

It results in pointless back and forth were people get defensive on each side of the argument and it just doesn't make for fun scrolling (personally speaking).

Maybe, I just don't like how he used a fake leak to validate his 'source'. Maybe he doesn't have direct contact with the assumed Mercury Steam so he couldn't check but like cmon frame 1 after seeing an inspect element screenshot you use it for evidence? At that point I just think he heard a thing from a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy and he can't offer anything else.

It's more their illogical and inconsistent arguments as well as their insistence that something is happening. They have obviously dropped the quality of posts here since they joined it's very obvious to idk. They're funny though lol

Ah well, if it makes that Nash person happy, let them. I see it pretty lax.

Generally, i tend to not believe anything. After all, i have three kids ... so you learn (or you better do so) fast to both not seeing things that seriously and being sceptical of anything someone will tell you. ;D

"Some studio in Spain has a devkit" is also a pretty safe bet, in a consoles 6th year.

Well, dev kits for a new system are, especially in the beginning phases, somewhat small in numbers. So a console maker would distribute them to their internal teams first, then to external close partners (think Intelligent Systems or Gamefreak in this case) and then once availability improves to other external parties and indies.

The context would matter how "exciting" or "well duh" this rumor/leak would be. If the source was from Mercury Steam, and they had been contracted for another Metroid game, it would be more "well duh", cause in this case we would be talking about a close partner who has "first dibs" over others.

If it's not Mercury Steam, it might be more exciting, as it means that dev kit production has been going for a while, internal and close external parties have been provided with and that could mean we're talking about "sooner" and not "later".

But again, it's context we're definitely not get. ;D

Staff Post about Citing Leaks and Rumors
Hi everyone. It is no secret that we are all excited for the possibility of new Nintendo hardware on the horizon, whether it is soonish or just a little further away than that. We all know that the months and years leading up to the launch of new hardware are filled with plenty of rumors and "chatter". Some of those rumors end up being true. The vast majority end up being fake. While we cannot possibly control or verify every rumor that is posted here, we do expect some restraint from all users who are active in this thread. With that said, we want to apply or re-enforce a couple of rules regarding the posting of rumors and leaks.

Any leak or rumor that you post needs to be cited. This includes any screenshot, text post, or fuzzy picture of a possible system. While we understand that internet posts are taken down all of the time, the original link should still be available to add when you are creating the post. If your posted is questioned then you will be expected to provide the source. Failure to provide said information may result in moderation. As you are likely aware, this thread generates a lot of lurkers from across the internet. We have been cited many times, and we would prefer that "homemade leaks" are not posted here as it hurts the site's reputation.

Also, we understand that this is a highly sensitive thread. At times the discussion has gotten tense about what should and shouldn't be allowed to be shown here. We want everyone to feel welcomed here while respecting the rules and atmosphere. If you wish to post a leak that everyone will automatically know is fake, then it should be established as such right away. You should not post a fake leak with "do you think this is real?" At the same time, continuous sharing of fake leaks will not be tolerated and will be subject to moderation. Now, we understand that there will be a lot of nuance required from everyone, including the staff. Our goal is to try to keep this thread relaxed at times, if possible.

If regular members want to have a further discussion about handling aspects of this thread in how it is used, we are not opposed to that conversation. We understand how active this thread is, and we want to continue to see excellent conversations here as they have been.

-Josh5890, VolcanicDynamo, xGhost777, PixelKnight

Yeah, I'm starting to doubt the legitimacy of the spanish leaker. Though its weird that Necrolipe is siding with them, maybe they have something?

Also not against Necrolipe or Nash Weedle, but it'd be incredibly funny to me if this fake leak caused such a stir that 2 people were found out as fakes.

Not sure why that got posted without it being hidden, at least. Completely anonymous image with no way to verify it...
Wouldn't have mattered anyway. There's plenty of people here who post things to reddit even if it's private

So, I'm predicting Nintendo's presence in TGS this year, is to not announce any new games, but to meet with their partners and other 3rd parties and have a disclose meeting regarding REDACTED and give them a dev kit.

Yeah, I'm starting to doubt the legitimacy of the spanish leaker. Though its weird that Necrolipe is siding with them, maybe they have something?
Nercolipe has stated, in this thread, that they independently verified the "spanish devkit" claim.

So, I'm predicting Nintendo's presence in TGS this year, is to not announce any new games, but to meet with their partners and other 3rd parties and have a disclose meeting regarding REDACTED and give them a dev kit.

Well the first part (not announcing games) is an easy prediction, 'cause Nintendo never announced games at TGS. ;D

Sorry I had to do it.
u2txcGz.jpg

Could it be that the Spanish person simply mistook the fake leak for a real one and just pointed towards that for easy comfirmation? I mean... It doesn't necessarily invalidate anything?

Also not against Necrolipe or Nash Weedle, but it'd be incredibly funny to me if this fake leak caused such a stir that 2 people were found out as fakes.

WIP

Well the first part (not announcing games) is an easy prediction, 'cause Nintendo never announced games at TGS. ;D
Of course! If history shows me, Iwata was on stage to reveal the Wii Remote Controller the first time and a trailer of what it could do.

I think P4bl0, at times, has the tendency to be very defensive and confrontational when people are sceptical about P4bl0's arguments.
Yeah idk why they're being so defensive about a random leak they found lol. The amount of posts they have since joining is crazy, responding to every single person doubting the leak

To summarize the last day of stuff:

Fake 4chan leak of NX2 image (or likely but impossible to prove fake)
NWPlayer123 (a well known dataminer) confirms whispers of the system (as did Nate right in this thread) and NW feels like the whispers are leading to an announcement in 2023 (more of an informed opinion, rather than a fact)
Necro confirmed dev kits being in spain (a much more credible source than Nash Weedle)
Nash Weedle tried to use the likely fake image as proof they are right, deleted the tweet, and also said a dev outside of spain has a kit too (which at this point, with the necro confirmation dev kits are actually out there, this means nothing as if some spanish devs have it, other devs elsewhere do too)

With the main conclusion I take from this: The transition has begun. Could be a Holiday 2024 release or 2024 in general, however one person who is in the know seems more convinced it's happening this year. Said person also explained if that image was real, more places would be talking about (as I said, likely fake).

Nothing really moves the needle, other than creating more interesting conversations about how real the transition to Switch 2 is.

I'm looking at the Nintendo Systems recruitment page and my only takeaway is...

THE ESHOP WILL FINALLY RUN GOOD!?

Sure, with enough RAM it might take long enough for that web page to get sloggy for the average person not to notice! ;D

Assuming the Spanish studio stuff is real, I certainly hope it's MercurySteam working on Metroid 6 rather than a remake of any previous game. It'd make for a sick 2024 if we got both a 2D and 3D game in the franchises (well if things line up perfectly obviously).

Aside from MercurySteam I wonder who else who'd be prominent/big enough to receive a dev kit in Spain, a quick glance on wikipedia and TequilaWorks could be a candidate I suppose.

To summarize the last day of stuff:

Fake 4chan leak of NX2 image (or likely but impossible to prove fake)
NWPlayer123 (a well known dataminer) confirms whispers of the system (as did Nate right in this thread) and NW feels like the whispers are leading to an announcement in 2023 (more of an informed opinion, rather than a fact)
Necro confirmed dev kits being in spain (a much more credible source than Nash Weedle)
Nash Weedle tried to use the likely fake image as proof they are right, deleted the tweet, and also said a dev outside of spain has a kit too (which at this point, with the necro confirmation dev kits are actually out there, this means nothing as if some spanish devs have it, other devs elsewhere do too)

With the main conclusion I take from this: The transition has begun. Could be a Holiday 2024 release or 2024 in general, however one person who is in the know seems more convinced it's happening this year. Said person also explained if that image was real, more places would be talking about (as I said, likely fake).

Nothing really moves the needle, other than creating more interesting conversations about how real the transition to Switch 2 is.

Yup

Assuming the Spanish studio stuff is real, I certainly hope it's MercurySteam working on Metroid 6 rather than a remake of any previous game. It'd make for a sick 2024 if we got both a 2D and 3D game in the franchises (well if things line up perfectly obviously).

Aside from MercurySteam I wonder who else who'd be prominent/big enough to receive a dev kit in Spain, a quick glance on wikipedia and TequilaWorks could be a candidate I suppose.

There is Ubisoft Barcelona as well that could be a potential devkit owner

Ah well, if it makes that Nash person happy, let them. I see it pretty lax.

Generally, i tend to not believe anything. After all, i have three kids ... so you learn (or you better do so) fast to both not seeing things that seriously and being sceptical of anything someone will tell you. ;D

Well, dev kits for a new system are, especially in the beginning phases, somewhat small in numbers. So a console maker would distribute them to their internal teams first, then to external close partners (think Intelligent Systems or Gamefreak in this case) and then once availability improves to other external parties and indies.

The context would matter how "exciting" or "well duh" this rumor/leak would be. If the source was from Mercury Steam, and they had been contracted for another Metroid game, it would be more "well duh", cause in this case we would be talking about a close partner who has "first dibs" over others.

If it's not Mercury Steam, it might be more exciting, as it means that dev kit production has been going for a while, internal and close external parties have been provided with and that could mean we're talking about "sooner" and not "later".

But again, it's context we're definitely not get. ;D
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
Necro already confirmed the devkit being at a Spanish dev. That’s good enough for me.
Yeah it would be nice that things like this dominated the discussion cause that's a good sign.

Love cognitive bias
1. Post an image of a place crowded with fakes, and assume it really has a chance to be legit because reasons.
2. Post a tweet of a dataminer that says that she doesn't believe the image is true, but that maybe they're realeasing a new console "sooner rather than later".
3. Use that tweet as a proof that you were right, even though it explicitly says you're not.
4. Post a second tweet of that same person, who argues why this console would sell well, with nothing about it regarding the previous topics, only refering to why they think it could be a good idea to release it soon.
5. Use it again to proof that you were right, and as so your image must be true.
6. Literally avoid the tweet between those two, in which explicity says that the image is most probably fake. You have 100% read them, but you decided to scrap it because it doesn't fit your mental narrative.

Either they're a troll or this is an extremely clear warning to take a step back and don't jump into conclusions.

points 4 and 6 have been consistent during discussions here with that individual. On top of refusing to answer certain questions.

Odds of finalized dev kits being shown off to developers?

I'd expect several of those devs to already have a kit if they are out there, which it seems like they are.

Last edited:
You’d like to think some partners who Nintendo has strong relationships with get dev kits much sooner than later. Like when Next Level Games was a partner I’d like to believe they got dev kits sooner. Idk anything of course lol.

You’d like to think some partners who Nintendo has strong relationships with get dev kits much sooner than later. Like when Next Level Games was a partner I’d like to believe they got dev kits sooner. Idk anything of course lol.
I really need Luigi's Mansion 4 in like year 2 of Switch 2....

But yeah I agree. I also don't think Nintendo has to worry about NLG leaking anything. They seem to be pretty good at keeping things hush hush, no? I think Capcom, Square and Sega are also locks.

Last edited:
DeepL caveats apply, but assuming that they're still taking annual subscriptions through August, then they're committing to full Switch repairs through August 2024.

The driver of these programs shutting down in consumer electronics is almost always the lack of spare parts. There are multiple bits in the Switch that either aren't manufactured anymore - the Wifi/BT chip - or are getting more expensive not less - the "legacy" LPDDR4. Whatever pool of parts Nintendo is using is shared between manufacturing and repairs, and in an ideal world you coast to the end of the system lifecycle with just enough parts remaining to clear your contractual support obligations.

I'd say it's obvious Nintendo is planning on launch a new console - they simply can't keep making Switches for much longer without a (fourth!) motherboard redesign, and this ending of the repair program is waving that flag. But I also don't think we can infer timing from it.
This is fascinating in that this thread has broadly assumed a higher price point for Redacted with the old models sticking around at the same or lower price points to keep serving the customers at those levels.

I'm extremely intrigued about what the product line-up looks like post Redacted launch.

Grubb just talked about the July thing he eluded to a few weeks ago. He said he doesn't believe it is hardware related but speculated that he thinks the next hardware can be announced later this year.
I assume it could be a Pikmin Direct, don’t see what else could take up the July slot (except hardware, but not very likely)

I assume it could be a Pikmin Direct, don’t see what else could take up the July slot (except hardware, but not very likely)
Yeah I have no clue. Maybe Pokemon but I think they typically have a presents in August. Nate speculated a Pikmin 4 deep dive but I don't believe he has mentioned anything about it since.

oh no, what am i going to do with all of the fake consoles i photoshopped…

have a good and serious time gang

Grubb just talked about the July thing he eluded to a few weeks ago. He said he doesn't believe it is hardware related but speculated that he thinks the next hardware can be announced later this year.
I think I mentioned it before but I still feel like the July thing could be related to the Famicom anniversary which got mentioned during the japanese direct so it could still be hardware related just not the kind most people are hoping for.

Barcelona!
It was the first time that we met
Barcelona!
How can I forget
The moment that you stepped in the room
You took my breath away

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom