• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

3. refers to the dock.

Also new joycons are slightly larger, SL, SR buttons are metal/magnetic and seem to be used as well to connect Joycons and base unit. Kickstand is also better.

Switch 2 is compatible with Pro Controller and Switch Joycons via bluetooth (but old joycons not for handheld mode), Switch 1 cartridges are supported but Switch 2 cartridges don't work for Switch (all very obvious).
yep,It means dock.

Pardon any machine translation issues.

=============================

Switch 2 - Everything we know

Switch2 was exposed to magnetically attract Joy-Con
Will everyone be as concerned about Nintendo’s next-generation console information as we are?
First come first served, Mopai is in the process of developing the next generation console controller

I have obtained a lot of first-hand information about the switch 2 generation, and I will share it with you below.

(The following pictures use the OLED version and are for reference only)

1. The second generation of Switch still supports the existing Joycon and Pro large controllers.

It is still equipped with ALPS dual-axis linear motor and supports HD vibration.

2. The card slot of Switch 2 is backward compatible with Switch 1 physical cartridges!

Second-generation cassettes do not support first-generation consoles

(Reference to the top picture of the Switch Oled version)

3. The new version of Joycon is larger, the structure of the slide rail has been changed to a magnetic suction type, and the two small shoulder buttons SL and SR are metal buttons. Magnetic suction is electromagnetic suction technology, which controls magnetic suction through current. It is particularly worth noting that on the basis of L, ZL, R, ZR on the side of the Joycon handle, a third button is added on the left and right sides.

At the same time, the right handle has an additional function button below the HOME button!

(New icon showing the approximate location of the back keys)

(Illustration of the location of the new function buttons)

4. There is still a Type-C interface under the 4.2 generation fuselage to support the base, and the shape of the new generation base has not changed much. The corners on one side have become more rounded and support 4K output image quality.

(Refer to the bottom picture of the Switch Oled version)

5. The new version has a damping bracket on the back, with a wider adjustable range

6. The screen size is upgraded to 8 inches and the resolution is upgraded to 1080P
The above is part of the information we have come across about the hardware, not all of it.

From the perspective of hardware configuration, the second generation of switch inherits the dual mode of handheld and console of the first generation.

Continuing Nintendo’s conservative style in hardware

Looking back at Nintendo from the original FC, the GB series that created the history of handheld consoles, to the NDS, 3DS series, WII, WIIU and finally SWITCH

We have always adhered to the concept of "creating unique entertainment methods"

We have every reason to believe that Nintendo will have more innovative game play methods on the SWITCH 2 generation.

It can also be seen from the handle

Nintendo once again has a breakthrough innovation in the field of console controllers

For example: What is the function of the third button on the side of the handle?

What are the special functions of the function buttons added below the HOME button on the right controller?

This is also very imaginative

It’s still unknown, but there will definitely be new features and new gameplay! Very worth looking forward to!

Everyone is welcome to open up their minds and discuss together!

Mopai is actively developing next-generation console peripherals

We hope to bring a better product experience to users as soon as possible

At that time, products and services for exchanging old products for new ones will still be supported.

Mopai insists on solving user problems as its starting point and maintains continuous innovation power

Provide users with better products and services!

Last edited:
Pardon any machine translation issues:

Switch 2 - Everything we know

Switch2 was exposed to magnetically attract Joy-Con
Will everyone be as concerned about Nintendo’s next-generation console information as we are?
First come first served, Mopai is in the process of developing the next generation console controller

I have obtained a lot of first-hand information about the switch 2 generation, and I will share it with you below.

(The following pictures use the OLED version and are for reference only)

1. The second generation of Switch still supports the existing Joycon and Pro large controllers.

It is still equipped with ALPS dual-axis linear motor and supports HD vibration.

2. The card slot of Switch 2 is backward compatible with Switch 1 physical cartridges!

Second-generation cassettes do not support first-generation consoles

(Reference to the top picture of the Switch Oled version)

3. The new version of Joycon is larger, the structure of the slide rail has been changed to a magnetic suction type, and the two small shoulder buttons SL and SR are metal buttons. Magnetic suction is electromagnetic suction technology, which controls magnetic suction through current. It is particularly worth noting that on the basis of L, ZL, R, ZR on the side of the Joycon handle, a third button is added on the left and right sides.

At the same time, the right handle has an additional function button below the HOME button!

(New icon showing the approximate location of the back keys)

(Illustration of the location of the new function buttons)

4. There is still a Type-C interface under the 4.2 generation fuselage to support the base, and the shape of the new generation base has not changed much. The corners on one side have become more rounded and support 4K output image quality.

(Refer to the bottom picture of the Switch Oled version)

5. The new version has a damping bracket on the back, with a wider adjustable range

6. The screen size is upgraded to 8 inches and the resolution is upgraded to 1080P
The above is part of the information we have come across about the hardware, not all of it.

From the perspective of hardware configuration, the second generation of switch inherits the dual mode of handheld and console of the first generation.

Continuing Nintendo’s conservative style in hardware

Looking back at Nintendo from the original FC, the GB series that created the history of handheld consoles, to the NDS, 3DS series, WII, WIIU and finally SWITCH

We have always adhered to the concept of "creating unique entertainment methods"

We have every reason to believe that Nintendo will have more innovative game play methods on the SWITCH 2 generation.

It can also be seen from the handle

Nintendo once again has a breakthrough innovation in the field of console controllers

For example: What is the function of the third button on the side of the handle?

What are the special functions of the function buttons added below the HOME button on the right controller?

This is also very imaginative

It’s still unknown, but there will definitely be new features and new gameplay! Very worth looking forward to!

Everyone is welcome to open up their minds and discuss together!

Mopai is actively developing next-generation console peripherals

We hope to bring a better product experience to users as soon as possible

At that time, products and services for exchanging old products for new ones will still be supported.

Mopai insists on solving user problems as its starting point and maintains continuous innovation power

Provide users with better products and services!
Could be worse, could be better.

There's no way Nintendo doesn't acknowledge the Switch 2 at their investor meeting now, if they ignore it the narrative is going to start slipping through the fingers. God I am so excited for the info drought to end.

If Nintendo is so keen on not doing the same mistakes as with Wii U, they definitely won't call it "Switch Attach".

Either just Attach or something else then.

But Switch Attach is enough to have people think if this might be a Switch accessory.
Attach is probably better than Switch Attach. Then again if they go with Switch Attach we will finally have the answer how much the name affected Wii U (I believe it's overstated and the console would have a similar fate even with a better name).

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Assuming the chinese details recently shared are real, I find it interesting there's no mentions of color schemes at all (what colors are the buttons? etc)

Almost like all this info was based on feeling Switch 2 inside an opaque box.

But then I don't think anyone could have been able to tell the cartridge slot can accept both Switch 1 & 2 gamecards

Last edited:
New controller leak makes me very hopeful the hori split pad is essentially the basis for the new setup.

I hope the back paddle replaces the god awful L3/R3 on modern controllers.

Assuming the chinese details recently shared are real, I find it interesting there's no mentions of color schemes at all (what colors are the buttons? etc)

But then I don't think anyone could have been able to tell the cartridge slot can accept both Switch 1 & 2 gamecards

They most likely received less detailed cad drawings of the console with the exact measurements to be able to start manufacturing accessories

tech-specs-overview-440x290.png

It is my hope beyond hope that if there is a new front button, it is the "Screen Share" button.
It's the most interesting aspect of this leak. I think it will be something more substantive to what you suggest - shoes Nintendo are enhancing the functionality of the device which I've not really expected.

Couldn't a Nintendo employee mention that the card slot is compatible with Switch 1 Cards, like wouldn't some of these manufacturer want to know if they'll be continuing creating Switch 1 cards for cross gen.

Like maybe one of them touched the card slot and asked ,, Feels different will it be compatible with Switch 1 games'' And Nintendo nonchalantly confirms it does,

Couldn't a Nintendo employee mention that the card slot is compatible with Switch 1 Cards, like wouldn't some of these manufacturer want to know if they'll be continuing creating Switch 1 cards for cross gen.

Like maybe one of them touched the card slot and asked ,, Feels different will it be compatible with Switch 1 games'' And Nintendo nonchalantly confirms it does,

Also they are aware of the size of the new motor inside the joycons, so it seems like they had an extensive look at what's inside the beast

Cannot really get a node process confirmation without doing die shot analysis which can be expensive. However we can make estimates based on clock speed which should be easier to figure out
I'm guessing we'll get clock speed either from game developers and the game they're making, from a leak or even from Nintendo themself.

Like the olny estimate we can go around would be the matrix demo, but that doesn't tell us much really... Whelp, we'll somehow hear something tomorrow.

if switch attach is the name they are truly going for here...idk why they don't just go for nintendo attach?? like, it distinguishes itself from the switch name much better rather then being that mouthful of a name.
Switch Attach may be a poor choice, but dropping the Switch name altogether comes with its own set of problems. If it still maintains the same "use as both a handheld and a home console" concept, then dropping the Switch name isn't going to get that point across.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
Many Nintendo-related KOLs in China have already hinted on Weibo(China's version of Twitter) that this revelation has credibility, but there's no guarantee that it's completely true.

It's on an opaque box, so I doubt they saw what color the buttons are.

Even if they didn't originally plan to acknowledge it this investor meeting, this will force their hand imo:
Weirdly enough, Nintendo's stock (according to Google, so take that for what it's worth) took the highest upturn since February at around 3.5% between the end of the 24th to the end of the 26th. That's not a lot and likely doesn't mean much, but I think it's funny that it reacts a bit to rumors like that.

Anyway, I wouldn't put so much stock (aha) into it, if only because Nintendo doesn't like to comment on rumors that much unless there's a specific thing they're deconfirming like a company-rep talking about something (like those Satoru Iwata comments prior the the Nintendo 3ds or recently with the Gamescom rumors). It might force their hand if they're asked, but they'll likely just dodge the question if they have not intention of mentioning the device at this Briefing.

Weirdly enough, Nintendo's stock (according to Google, so take that for what it's worth) took the highest upturn since February at around 3.5% between the end of the 24th to the end of the 26th. That's not a lot and likely doesn't mean much, but I think it's funny that it reacts a bit to rumors like that.

Anyway, I wouldn't put so much stock (aha) into it, if only because Nintendo doesn't like to comment on rumors that much unless there's a specific thing they're deconfirming like a company-rep talking about something (like those Satoru Iwata comments prior the the Nintendo 3ds or recently with the Gamescom rumors). It might force their hand if they're asked, but they'll likely just dodge the question if they have not intention of mentioning the device at this Briefing.

If there’s a present risk of more true/real details coming out (assuming those are coming out lately), Nintendo might want to get ahead of the narrative.

Otherwise if they don’t think additional details will slip out and they had no plan to mention Switch 2 then they likely won’t

Even if they didn't originally plan to acknowledge it this investor meeting, this will force their hand imo:
Nintendo is Nintendo, at the end of the day. They can throw their hands up and shrug for hours if they have to.

That said I doubt they'd divulge details to accessory makers if they weren't preparing to reveal it to investors, press and public in short order.

Are you sure? The 2 translations posted earlier says "button at the side of the handle".

So, maybe the button is kinda a continuation of the L/ZL. Something like this:
ND__CW-2.png

Assuming its not on the rails, since it would probably be mentioned in that case.
Subject to image, machine translation is inaccurate and the image was posted by the leaker.

Honestly I'm pissed the SL and SR buttons aren't on some kinda rear grip so they're always accessible. Still, if they're weird and magnetic that's fun in its own way, and we might be getting something "fun", and it looks like we're getting a grip button anyway, maybe.

If this hardware evolution truly is "conservative" then I hope that doesn't include power hah. Of course, we are not gonna get PS5 levels but PS4 Pro would be nice I think. Anyway, the drought is coming to an end. Exciting stuff.

Some folks on the other forum are actually upset over the rumor that the screen is 1080 and not 720. Huh?
Failing to be a contrarian might drive one mad...

Honestly, both are fine. There's diminishing returns on handheld screens imo, but 1080p means we'll get a greater pixel density overall which will likely make up for any losses we'd have with not having an OLED screen. Maybe there's a battery life concern, but let's be frank Nintendo is likely targeting V2 Switch-levels of battery life anyway, so it won't matter in the first place. Furthermore it signifies that Nintendo are planning on making a handheld look better than the Steam Deck, which was already a good-looking system in handheld mode, and proves that Nintendo is confident enough in their hardware to have a PS4-comparable device in handheld mode, which almost means they're confident enough to go head-to-head with the visuals on the PSPortal... so why are they concerned again?

Idk some people are just weird for the sake of it and need to calm down.

If this hardware evolution truly is "conservative" then I hope that doesn't include power hah. Of course, we are not gonna get PS5 levels but PS4 Pro would be nice I think. Anyway, the drought is coming to an end. Exciting stuff.
Treating Nintendo Switch's launch power consumption as the ceiling, at 4N, that's quite a nice performance ceiling. Matches with rumours of "PS4 Pro-like" performance in TV Mode.

I don't know anything about economics, does the fact that the yen is still depreciating affect the cost of Nintendo's foundry work overseas?
I don't know if "weak <any currency>" ever truly stopped or delayed a company from releasing product. Have a weak dollar ever stopped US company from releasing a product? I cannot imagine an US company doing that back when our dollar was weak.

If I'm remembering correctly, someone here said weak yen is not (should not be) a concern. Weak yen makes exporting more attractive, and Nintendo makes most of its money overseas (outside Japan), I believe. (edit: found an article that seems to suggest the same, weak yen makes exports more attractive, that probably makes the whole thing a wash)

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom