• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

there's any chance we get an announcement next week before the 7th? if it is possibile, which days are the most likely?
Next week is Golden Week. Unless Nintendo are doing something one of those days, when typically they'd have a day-off... that'd be weird.

The only other time I can think of is the 6th of May... which is a monday. Kind of a ridiculous time for anything to happen, but i'd be happily surprised.

I don't know if "weak <any currency>" ever truly stopped or delayed a company from releasing product. Have a weak dollar ever stopped US company from releasing a product? I cannot imagine an US company doing that back when our dollar was weak.

If I'm remembering correctly, someone here said weak yen is not (should not be) a concern. Weak yen makes exporting more attractive, and Nintendo makes most of its money overseas (outside Japan), I believe.
Haha, I may be biased, but from my perspective the dollar has never really been "weak".

there's any chance we get an announcement next week before the 7th? if it is possibile, which days are the most likely?
usually tuesday, wednesday, thursday. However, I don’t think there’s a chance for an announcement soon. If it launches in march, I expect the announcement in September at the earliest. Maybe they mention it in a press release but I dont see how that’s interesting in any way

I don't know anything about economics, does the fact that the yen is still depreciating affect the cost of Nintendo's foundry work overseas?
Nintendo doesn't work directly with foundries and the node is long since set in stone.

If you mean general manufacturing, it's... Complicated. Depends what currency they're paying in, where, and where it comes from.

Last edited:
Failing to be a contrarian might drive one mad...

Honestly, both are fine. There's diminishing returns on handheld screens imo, but 1080p means we'll get a greater pixel density overall which will likely make up for any losses we'd have with not having an OLED screen. Maybe there's a battery life concern, but let's be frank Nintendo is likely targeting V2 Switch-levels of battery life anyway, so it won't matter in the first place. Furthermore it signifies that Nintendo are planning on making a handheld look better than the Steam Deck, which was already a good-looking system in handheld mode, and proves that Nintendo is confident enough in their hardware to have a PS4-comparable device in handheld mode, which almost means they're confident enough to go head-to-head with the visuals on the PSPortal... so why are they concerned again?

Idk some people are just weird for the sake of it and need to calm down.
The thing is… it’s Nintendo, believe me, when the Switch 2 launches there’s gonna a huge group of people hating it because of how underpowered it is.
Like I’m extremely pumped for a

1080p/60fps screen, because it’s gonna look glorious, especially if Switch games get a small patched via backward compatibility.

Plus I’m curious how the LCD screen will look, because the technology has improved significantly in the past few years, like if the Switch 2 has a similar screen like the PS portal, then we’ll be feasting.

If this hardware evolution truly is "conservative" then I hope that doesn't include power hah. Of course, we are not gonna get PS5 levels but PS4 Pro would be nice I think. Anyway, the drought is coming to an end. Exciting stuff.

They mean conservative in an innovation/ conceptual sense, not the soc.

Comparisons to other consoles will always be flawed, but particularly for this system because its an RTX chip. It might put the Series S to shame in ray tracing, but overall it's way weaker. Still due to DLSS, it should get good image on modern panels. Compared to PS4 pro, it has better CPU and GPU features, but maybe worse raw raster.

With Nvidia's bespoke accelerators it can outshine other machines in certain areas, in spite of being overall behind.

Haha, I may be biased, but from my perspective the dollar has never really been "weak".
Everything is measured in comparison to the dollar basically so the dollar is never really weak, other currencies are just stronger or weaker against it i guess... There have been cases where a strong foreign currency against the USD has shut down projects certainly (George Miller's Justice League movie shut down for strong AUD and not qualifying for AUS screen tax incentives) - A weaker foreign currency, does make it more attractive for US businesses to invest etc... imo

Everything is measured in comparison to the dollar basically so the dollar is never really weak, other currencies are just stronger or weaker against it i guess... There have been cases where a strong foreign currency against the USD has shut down projects certainly (George Miller's Justice League movie shut down for strong AUD and not qualifying for AUS screen tax incentives) - A weaker foreign currency, does make it more attractive for US businesses to invest etc... imo
Yep, that's why I said that in my opinion the dollar has never really been weak, after all, the Japanese economy at its peak in the 80's was able to be collapsed by a US deal to create a massive bubble.

Flood gates open fam

Ain’t no way we 1 year away from the launch
Well, sure, March 3 again would be more like 10 months.
If you're still sticking to this rhetoric I'll just assume you're ignoring the problem itself, hardware innovation is the foundation for Nintendo.
We haven't seen a major interface innovation from them since... Wii Remote? Well, I guess the Wii U Gamepad was a pretty new take on how two screen gaming could work, but nobody cared.
Some folks on the other forum are actually upset over the rumor that the screen is 1080 and not 720. Huh?
What was their reasoning? Battery life concerns?
Until rumors started saying 1080p was the actual case, a lot of people in this thread thought sticking with 720 was a smart choice, too, since 1080 would take more power (both in the GPU and electricity sense), 720 was already pretty high pixel density for average viewing distance, and 720->1080 would mean imperfect scaling for backwards compatibility. I don't know to the point they'd be upset about being wrong, though.

Seeing Xenoblade in combination with Switch 2 talk makes me very gidy with anticipation for the next great story of Monolith.

Looking forward to the floodgates being opened and starting a whole new cycle of which IP will come next in a Direct :D
I think monolith were having a job listing for action fighting.

Seems like their next game might be something similar to nier automata, when it comes to action.

Which makes me excited that we’ll be getting a new ip and monolith take on a different genre as well.

Seeing Xenoblade in combination with Switch 2 talk makes me very gidy with anticipation for the next great story of Monolith.

Looking forward to the floodgates being opened and starting a whole new cycle of which IP will come next in a Direct :D
However much excitement you have, I can rival/surpass it. I believe the most likely release from Monolith Soft for the launch year is Xenoblade X or that New IP, but like... both of those sound really nice to have. Allowing Monolith to finally be unshackled from 7th Gen hardware sounds amazing, especially since they were the first to really push those boundaries and refine them to a fine point with Xenoblade X in 2015 to Xenoblade 3 in 2022. Give them that power, and I might pass out from the sheer joy I'll feel.

Regardless, that announcement trailer where we end up speculating over what those new titles will be is going to be the most exciting moment since the First Look trailer in 2016. I genuinely cannot wait.

I think monolith were having a job listing for action fighting.

Seems like their next game might be something similar to nier automata, when it comes to action.

Which makes me excited that we’ll be getting a new ip and monolith take on a different genre as well.
But then again, "action fighting" could also be referring to another Xenoblade game, which typically have been ARPGs, correct?

November we reached 2000 near a investor‘s meeting and got nothing, now we‘re approaching page 3000…

…Let’s hope the pattern doesn’t hold up.

But then again, "action fighting" could also be referring to another Xenoblade game, which typically have been ARPGs, correct?
True, heck it might even be based on Zelda, since their a huge support studio for Nintendo.

But who knows, personally I would love to get either a Xenoblade X remaster or a brand new IP for the switch 2, might be a good summer game or even December game.

I mean... sort of but not really?

On wikipedia, they are called as such, but they're not action RPGs in the same way as like... Nier Automata or Final Fantasy 16 is. It's essentially just "walk around, use positional attacks, don't die", they aren't "fighting" RPGs as such. It's not really a character action game, and they wouldn't really need someone to be hired to recreate such a combat system. It's more likely that they're trying the Final Fantasy 16 approach of "RPG but character action", which can potentially be very cool. Idk, it's something we'll have to see when it happens.

November we reached 2000 near a investor‘s meeting and got nothing, now we‘re approaching page 3000…

…Let’s hope the pattern doesn’t hold up.
This thread has really gone a long way hasn’t it.

Crazy to think the suffering might be over in May 7th.

No, this article doesn't say that the original joycon unlock button has been removed, it's likely that it's been retained and will continue to act as an unlock button, and that the newly added button is the actual "new button".
since this new button is not a unlock button, what could be the function of this new button? another action button(A, B, Y e X) or another trigger(L, ZL, R e ZR).

since this new button is not a unlock button, what could be the function of this new button? another action button(A, B, Y e X) or another trigger(L, ZL, R e ZR).
My guess is that they'll end up being customizable back buttons in a similar vein to how they're used on Steam Deck. The Nintendo Switch already has a way to customize button layouts but was largely underused by everyone on earth, so having an option for a specific button input would be cool. I don't believe it'll be a trigger, but idk.

None, really. Not that it's bad, it's just that a dedicated android gaming platform hasn't taken off despite many attempts. Ouya being a famous one. Games are more and more including physical controller options, and with the better cooling, you can run maxed settings better, but such power users aren't exactly the norm.

Same with Emulator players, and emulators have a far lower requirement than something like Genshin or CoD Warzone Mobile. So you don't need a $400 device to play GBA games or PS1 games
Hmm, I know you say it isn't bad, but it feels they could have use this device for something else... like a pc handheld where it make sense. Maybe let it come with WINE installed. That seems more useful.

Wouldn’t it makes sense that we’ll be getting 2 SKU, instead on will hold more storage.

SKU 1: Regular joy-cons, 256GB storage.
SKU 2: Colored buttons and Joy-cons, 512GB storage.

Like the Wii U did something similar.

Finally caught up including the recent bilibili article.

A few thoughts:
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

I certainly like Connect much more than Attach, but the Switch name is so strong and familiar to millions that I think Nintendo would be insane to abandon the name, especially if the device is an iterative evolution of its predecessor, which many believe it to be at this point.

I certainly like Connect much more than Attach, but the Switch name is so strong and familiar to millions that I think Nintendo would be insane to abandon the name, especially if the device is an iterative evolution of its predecessor, which many believe it to be at this point.
I actually like Switch connect, it clicks with the tongue. It has the same ring like Gameboy advance.

usually tuesday, wednesday, thursday. However, I don’t think there’s a chance for an announcement soon. If it launches in march, I expect the announcement in September at the earliest. Maybe they mention it in a press release but I dont see how that’s interesting in any way
I wouldn't be surprised if they mentioned "We are gearing up to release new hardware. Please look forward to more information later in May/June/July/etc." But maybe I'm just being hopeful lol.

Also, I've been largely absent from Fami recently -- is there a reason Attach has seemingly become more prevalent of a name?

All these breadcrumbs, which may or may not be even edible, give the impression the Switch successor is a beefed up Switch 1 with better internals, more robust joy con rail system, a larger and potentially higher resolution screen, and more buttons on the controller.

Which is what we all would expect given Nintendo are looking to continue the Switch family of systems into the next generation.

but things such as:

Node Process
Type of Screen
Backwards Compatibility functions
Battery Life
The OS itself
Price
Internal Storage
The Dock itself

We know Jack shit. The info from that site doesn’t really give us any “new” information that we already didn’t know, or at least had an inclination of it. But we are so starved for information that a trickling of anything is better than nothing for us.

I'm thinking “Ok, cool! I'm going back to playing Donkey Kong Country on NSO now.”

I feel we're about to see the dam's floodgates burst when it comes to information leaks from the Switch.

Very interesting times ahead.

[First few seconds of Heathers the Musical OST 3 "Fight for Me" dot wav]

I think the fact that the information was spread so far is already pretty fucking significant it was mentioned to so many people. I'm not saying it's true, but jesus christ things are moving too quickly.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom