• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Any chance we could see a power draw increase in docked mode alone? So, 7w handheld targeting the 1080p screen and 25w docked mode targeting 2160p TVs? I have heard that the cooling system in the current Switch is already pretty overbuilt - maybe adding a vapour chamber to that is all that would really be needed?
Again, Nintendo can do anything they want, and they are likely to do at least one thing that seems unlikely, because from the outside we don't know what their goals are for the console.

But it's unlikely you can design a chip that is very effective at that a range of TDP. You can customize efficiency a little bit, but there is no way to make a machine whose optimal power curve supports a 7-25W.

I also think it's unlikely that developers can support that wide a power gap very efficiently either. Developers already complain about the power between Series S and X, and that's a difference of about 1:3, you're talking about a difference as high as 1:5. Like, assume that half your power in handheld is base memory clock, CPU, storage, the things that don't change when you dock. You're talking about allocating 3.5W for the GPU in handheld and 21.5W in docked.

My gut says that if Nintendo designed such a system, Docked Only users wouldn't get the advantages they think they're getting, because games targeting handheld simply wouldn't have enough visual features to spend on upgrading. And handheld users would get shafted by lazy port after lazy port that only really works on screen.

How come consumers understood 3DS and GBA were new systems?
GBA wasn't marketed as the acronym but "game boy ADVANCE", it's pretty straightforward
3DS would be the DSi iteration (so third in the DS family), even if you didn't know it had 3d capabilities, the name was pretty fitting (if we ignore the OG ds and ds lite)

Any name that is "Switch _" where _ is not "2" is a terrible name for a new console. It's literally the Wii U all over again; you're just begging for customer confusion.
vURXQ2A.png

Any chance we could see a power draw increase in docked mode alone? So, 7w handheld targeting the 1080p screen and 25w docked mode targeting 2160p TVs? I have heard that the cooling system in the current Switch is already pretty overbuilt - maybe adding a vapour chamber to that is all that would really be needed?
Switch 1 was like 10W TDP, so Switch 2 can be easily 15W TDP in handheld on TSMC 4N

I don't think its USP was particularly attractive, either. And calling it WiiU worked quite synergistically with its terrible marketing to create the perspective that it wasn't a different generation imo. It was just poorly conceived all around.

Again, Nintendo can do anything they want, and they are likely to do at least one thing that seems unlikely, because from the outside we don't know what their goals are for the console.

But it's unlikely you can design a chip that is very effective at that a range of TDP. You can customize efficiency a little bit, but there is no way to make a machine whose optimal power curve supports a 7-25W.

I wasn't necessarily thinking the chip would be flawlessly efficient across that entire range. It would probably be most efficient at 7-15w like the Switch chip, with the 25w docked mode being more because "hey, why not"? It wouldn't be hugely efficient, you'd most likely only be getting maybe 20-25% extra performance for the 66% increase in battery life, but I was thinking that most people wouldn't consider the latter to be an actual problem. We see this in a lot of the current Windows handheld where the catch is a major hit to battery life - the Switch 2 wouldn't even have to worry about that.

I also think it's unlikely that developers can support that wide a power gap very efficiently either. Developers already complain about the power between Series S and X, and that's a difference of about 1:3, you're talking about a difference as high as 1:5. Like, assume that half your power in handheld is base memory clock, CPU, storage, the things that don't change when you dock. You're talking about allocating 3.5W for the GPU in handheld and 21.5W in docked.

My gut says that if Nintendo designed such a system, Docked Only users wouldn't get the advantages they think they're getting, because games targeting handheld simply wouldn't have enough visual features to spend on upgrading. And handheld users would get shafted by lazy port after lazy port that only really works on screen.

Isn't the biggest issue with the Series S actually the terrible amount of RAM?

I agree it wouldn't be super efficient - I was just thinking that targeting 4x the resolution in docked mode would at least give them something to aim for. Hopefully they'd all be using dynamic resolutions, so the extra 10w would just make that a bit higher than otherwise.

Sorry I didn't keep up since early february and just seen two new reports with conflicting info (2024 vs 2025)

Is 2025 still the most possible outcome or did that changed?

Sorry I didn't keep up since early february and just seen two new reports with conflicting info (2024 vs 2025)

Is 2025 still the most possible outcome or did that changed?
The source for 2024 is a Korean article and is not credible. the source for 2025 is more credible.

apparently this was posted 3 days ago so before the vandal leak, and nobody had noticed supposedly, apart from this redditor who managed to copy and paste the whole original message.

Switch 2 / Switch Attach details leaked by 3rd Party manufacturer

If true, this is an insane leak by third party Chinese peripheral manufacturer Mobapad! They posted it on their Facebook page three days ago and hardly anyone took notice.

It also confirms the other leak from yesterday posted by Spanish publication Vandal.

The original post has just been changed, however, I have copied the original wording below:

„Nintendo Switch 2: insider Insights: Show everything we know! Are you eagerty anticipating news about Nintendo's next-generation Switch console? Through our partnership with Nintendo's supply chain, we have acquired exclusive information about the upcoming Switch 2, which we ar-pleased to share with you:

1. The Bluetooth chip of Switch 2 still supports existing Joy-Con and Pro controllers (after development machine testing), and still features HD vibration (ALPS dual-axis linear motor), but the volume of the new Joy-Con motor will be smaller. And certainly, our Chitu and MBS/HD controllers will remain fully compatible!
2. The cartridge siot on the Switch 2 will support backward compatibility with existing Switch game cards, both physical and digital. However, new game cards designed for the Switch 2 will not be compatible with the original console.
3. in handheld mode, the new Joy-Con rails will adopt a horizontal magnetic docking structure for smoother attachment. The SL and SR buttons will be metallic and magnetically activated.
4. The Switch 2 will retain a USB-C port for docking, compatible with the new generation of docks featuring minor design enhancements.
5. The redesigned dock will include a metal damping bracket for improved angle adjustment.
6. The screen will be upgraded to 1080p resolution and slightly larger dimensions. In essence, the Switch 2 represents a conservative evolution in hardware, resembling a refined "Pro* version of the Switch."

And this is the new, less explosive, text:

„Exclusive Insights into Nintendo Switch 2: What to Expect!
Are you as intrigued as we are about the latest news on Nintendo's next-generation console?
1. Will the Bluetooth chip in Switch 2 support current Joy-Cons and Pro controllers?
2. Is the card slot in Switch 2 compatible with previous generation Switch cartridges?
3. Have there been any upgrades to the screen? Feel free to discuss, as we're set to unveil the firsthand information we've gathered in early May."

Mobapad

If true, this is an insane leak by third party Chinese peripheral manufacturer Mobapad! They posted it on their Facebook page three days ago and hardly anyone took notice.

It also confirms the other leak from yesterday posted by Spanish publication Vandal.

The original post has just been changed, however, I have copied the original wording below:

„Nintendo Switch 2: insider Insights: Show everything we know! Are you eagerty anticipating news about Nintendo's next-generation Switch console? Through our partnership with Nintendo's supply chain, we have acquired exclusive information about the upcoming Switch 2, which we ar-pleased to share with you:

1. The Bluetooth chip of Switch 2 still supports existing Joy-Con and Pro controllers (after development machine testing), and still features HD vibration (ALPS dual-axis linear motor), but the volume of the new Joy-Con motor will be smaller. And certainly, our Chitu and MBS/HD controllers will remain fully compatible!
2. The cartridge siot on the Switch 2 will support backward compatibility with existing Switch game cards, both physical and digital. However, new game cards designed for the Switch 2 will not be compatible with the original console.
3. in handheld mode, the new Joy-Con rails will adopt a horizontal magnetic docking structure for smoother attachment. The SL and SR buttons will be metallic and magnetically activated.
4. The Switch 2 will retain a USB-C port for docking, compatible with the new generation of docks featuring minor design enhancements.
5. The redesigned dock will include a metal damping bracket for improved angle adjustment.
6. The screen will be upgraded to 1080p resolution and slightly larger dimensions. In essence, the Switch 2 represents a conservative evolution in hardware, resembling a refined "Pro* version of the Switch."

Are you as intrigued as we are about the latest news on Nintendo's next-generation console?
1. Will the Bluetooth chip in Switch 2 support current Joy-Cons and Pro controllers?
2. Is the card slot in Switch 2 compatible with previous generation Switch cartridges?
3. Have there been any upgrades to the screen? Feel free to discuss, as we're set to unveil the firsthand information we've gathered in early May."

Mobapad

Last edited:

Mobapad
So the only thing I have to really critique here immediately is that there isn't really information here that's... interesting i guess. Idk, I don't really have much to say on this is that it's nice to see another rumor about backwards compatibility in some form.

Interesting that the floodgates are opening now a week before Nintendo is expected to actually talk about this damn thing.
Flood gates open fam

Ain’t no way we 1 year away from the launch
The above said in mind, I don't agree... or at least not fully. We're pretty much at the same point as April 2016. Small floodgates of information that may or may not be true, but nothing solid enough for us to use as a proper foundation outside of the basic information we have about the Switch 1 being turned into the Switch 2... in addition to the T239 leak, though that's been known for a while.

It was a combination of reasons and the name was one of them. A better name would have helped with some of the messaging following confusion over the console/tablet. People heard ‘Wii U’ and it told them absolutely nothing which added further to the confusion created by the trailer. Calling it ‘Wii 2’ wouldn’t have saved the system since like I say, there were multiple issues, but it would have instantly told people the console was a successor to the Wii. There’s are reasons Sony have by far the most successful console transitions and the name is just one of them.

Last edited:
What I'm still the most curious about is if it really will be a "Switch 2" without any innovation or gimmick, which now is obviously then every similar to Steamdeck and ROG Ally.
So I truly hope there's something on the hardware side competitor's don't offer that hasn't been mentioned so far, even if it's just camera.
With Nintendo I'd be quite sad if there's more than a decade without any development in hardware but horsepower only.

What I'm still the most curious about is if it really will be a "Switch 2" without any innovation or gimmick, which now is obviously then every similar to Steamdeck and ROG Ally.
So I truly hope there's something on the hardware side competitor's don't offer that hasn't been mentioned so far, even if it's just camera.
With Nintendo I'd be quite sad if there's more than a decade without any development in hardware but horsepower only.
What it offers that none of the competitors do nearly as well, is being a game console having everything just works seamlessly.

You connect a SD to a bigger screen, does it switch between clock/ graphic mode on the fly? No, you need to spend hours in settings if you want one set of settings optimized for battery life and another one for performance. On a Switch that's already done for you.

All these competitors are PCs, with all the good and the bad that entails..

What it offers that none of the competitors do nearly as well, is being a game console having everything just works seamlessly.

You connect a SD to a bigger screen, does it switch between clock/ graphic mode on the fly? No, you need to spend hours in settings if you want one set of settings optimized for battery life and another one for performance. On a Switch that's already done for you.

All these competitors are PCs, with all the good and the bad that comes with that fact.
If you're still sticking to this rhetoric I'll just assume you're ignoring the problem itself, hardware innovation is the foundation for Nintendo.

Beat me to it lol

Here is the TLDR
  • Switch 2 is expected to launch as early as the second half of this year
  • Suppliers have reportedly reached a considerable degree of agreement for initial production contracts.
  • Samsung Foundry will fabricate the SoC on Samsung's 7LPH process node
  • Samsung will provide the NAND storage for both the cartridges and internal memory
  • Samsung has overcome competitors from China to be the display supplier
what? Switch sucessor could launch as early as second half of this year? i confused, wasn't the console delayed to 2025? why this site is now stating launch on fall/holiday 2024, did we not get the information Switch sucessor was delayed?

All these competitors are PCs, with all the good and the bad that entails..

All true and reason why I still prefer Switch to my Steamdeck, and maybe enough to be successful in an industry that is not innovating much right now. But I still think that gaming needs constant innovation to grow, otherwise we see a continuation of the last few years, and with even slightly less successful console for Nintendo's the overall market will shrink and more studios will struggle.

This is an industry that needs to innovate constantly and if Nintendo is not doing it, right now no one will in their level.

Mobapad's Chinese article mentioned the positions of the new buttons.
https://m.bilibili.com/opus/925030436838572049
Translation: the new version of the Joycon is larger, the structure of the slide has been changed to magnetic suction, and the two small shoulder keys, SL and SR, are metal buttons.The magnetic suction is electromagnetic suction technology, which is controlled by an electric current.Particularly noteworthy is the addition of a third button on the left and right side of the Joycon handle on the basis of L, ZL, R, ZR on the side of the handle

if switch attach is the name they are truly going for here...idk why they don't just go for nintendo attach?? like, it distinguishes itself from the switch name much better rather then being that mouthful of a name.

How we feeling about the chinese rumour? Since i don't speak chinese...
I read through the article, a couple key points:
1. the new joycon each has a new button.
2. the right hand grip has an extra function button below the HOME button.
3. the shape of the base has not changed much, but the corners are more rounded.
4. the screen is 8" and 1080p.

No, this article doesn't say that the original joycon unlock button has been removed, it's likely that it's been retained and will continue to act as an unlock button, and that the newly added button is the actual "new button".
True and I completely forgot there already was one...

Still I don't see a lot sense in a third shoulder button, I see casual gamers struggling with two already. Lets see what its purpose is.

I read through the article, a couple key points:
1. the new joycon each has a new button.
2. the right hand grip has an extra function button below the HOME button.
3. the shape of the base has not changed much, but the corners are more rounded.
4. the screen is 8" and 1080p.

3. refers to the dock.

Also new joycons are slightly larger, SL, SR buttons are metal/magnetic and seem to be used as well to connect Joycons and base unit. Kickstand is also better.

Switch 2 is compatible with Pro Controller and Switch Joycons via bluetooth (but old joycons not for handheld mode), Switch 1 cartridges are supported but Switch 2 cartridges don't work for Switch (all very obvious).

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom