• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I did, but you need to write the exact same string. Maybe having access to the premium service makes it easier checking +10rows...
Oh - you would want to eliminate repetitive rows. Like adding -cover, hitting ENTER, then adding -plastic, then hitting ENTER and so on. Have you been doing that?

Also if you dont' know:

(HGU1000 | HGU1001 | HGU1010) something

Would search all entries that have either HGU1000, or HGU1001, or HGU1010, with "something" in text.

I also usually add (a* | b* | c* | d* | e* | f*) because the orange site have a weird habit of cutting off 2nd half of the customs data title for some reason (missing important info like potential serial number) - don't have to do entire abc to z, i just do it up to f*, good enough. Can DM me if you want some clarification/details (since that might veer a bit OT)

I'm going to try it right now to see if I would have eventually reached the same discoveries

Edit: I reached one of the discoveries using this:
NL AM10 (a* | b* | c* | d* | e* | f*) -zsc* -HGK* -HGH*

I believe you're correct, someone would have been using premium subscription. Much quicker to sift through that way.

And I wonder if the team is still in process of sifting through the data. there's so many serial numbers/identifiers (one can copy and paste and search on Google), but it leads to not so exciting stuff like controller chips, etc. Also gotta be careful because I don't think NL AM10 is all Switch 2, it can be for older hardware, so have to keep that in mind.

Last edited:
16GB for now but PS6 and next-gen Xbox are coming sooner now that MS/Sony have both admitted their consoles flopped this gen. No doubt we’ll have more RAM in those which could be a problem for Switch 2 to keep up with.
Huh, what? PS6's release date hasn't changed at all and the console is literally selling faster than PS4 on the US and other mainstream territories, this isn't based on reality at all... 2028 is the time, no idea about the "next gen Xbox".

Surely no one’s finding out the amount and type of memory + storage on this thing while @MuddySeal is making his lasagna

image.png

I don't think Nintendo is depending on Microsoft keeping Xbox series S to get third parties to support Switch 2.

Just like with the Switch they will just try to entice third parties to port their games to the Switch 2 because of the hopefully large user base on the system. Some third parties will make the effort and port their game to Switch 2, some won't. Just like with the Switch. It won't depend on X Box Series S for that to happen.

Problem in what sense? Because Nintendo won't get any AAA games? That has already been the case since the Switch era begun, except a few miracle ports. So even if that future happens, it just means that in a few years time Nintendo won't get AAA games, just like they didn't get for the past 8 years anyway.

Xbox I can understand, but the ps5?

If a console that has sold 50M and has decent third party support is a flop? Like it’s mostly the first party outputs that has been disappointing.

Is there something I’m missing?
Looking ahead, PS5 will enter the latter stage of its life cycle,” Matsuoka is quoted as saying. “As such, we will put more emphasis on the balance between profitability and sales.”

It’s right there, Sony had to cut their PS5 target by 4 million units and their PS5 profitability was down last year because of promotions which didn’t help them reach their target. By comparison, Nintendo just cut Switch sales target by 2.2 million, about half the Sony cut. And Switch is 7 year old system while PS5 is less than 4 years old. Sony was openly dire about PS5 performance at its last earnings briefing, which is rare.

12/256GB was always the best case scenario in my opinion so this is awesome. I just hope it means the price comes in under $400.

We were never going to get every AAA game, but the Switch has received some amazing ports despite having half the RAM of the PS4. I think the Switch 2 will manage fine with 75% of a PS5.

I think it’s not even half.

I think it was stated that 75% of their user base uses a series s compared to the series x

But maybe it has chance in the recent year.
That data was from the tail end of the shortages, when the Series S was the only console in stock. More recent analysis from Circana put it at around an even split, with a slight edge to the Series S.

Wooo! So what deductions can we make now that we know the max RAM speed is 120 gb/s Vs 102 gb/s (assuming docked mode)? Slightly better resolution? More solid fps? Better textures?

Looking ahead, PS5 will enter the latter stage of its life cycle,” Matsuoka is quoted as saying. “As such, we will put more emphasis on the balance between profitability and sales.”

It’s right there, Sony had to cut their PS5 target by 4 million units and their PS5 profitability was down last year because of promotions which didn’t help them reach their target. By comparison, Nintendo just cut Switch sales target by 2.2 million, about half the Sony cut. And Switch is 7 year old system while PS5 is less than 4 years old. Sony was openly dire about PS5 performance at its last earnings briefing, which is rare.
But its not feasible for Nintendo to launch a hybrid device next year that will guarantee them to get all AAA games the coming 8-10 years. Its impossible. The best thing they can do is to launch a hybrid device that is powerful enough to get a decent amount of AAA games, and that is what the Switch 2 will get.

1. The PS6 will probably not release until late 2028 so that’s 3.5 years

2. I don’t expect Microsoft to release a competitively priced console next gen and I expect just a fixed specs Windows PC sold at profit.

3. The PS5 will probably be supported until 2031+

4. Open world titles for PS6 that rely on dynamic lighting will probably be hard to downport

5. The Switch 3 will probably not release for a very long time (like 2033 to 2035)

6. Games increasingly target low end PC specs due to the increasing popularity of PC gaming.

So some positives and negatives, but 6 in particular will help the Switch 2.

People worrying about AAA support are funny.
What AAA games? That market is imploding quickly.
AAAs will continue to be important. And by AAAs, I mean Capcom. And by Capcom, I mean Monster Hunter. Please for the love of God get MHWilds on the Switch 2 day 1.

I don't think Nintendo is depending on Microsoft keeping Xbox series S to get third parties to support Switch 2.

Just like with the Switch they will just try to entice third parties to port their games to the Switch 2 because of the hopefully large user base on the system. Some third parties will make the effort and port their game to Switch 2, some won't. Just like with the Switch. It won't depend on X Box Series S for that to happen.
Microsoft being the current Switch' biggest 3rd party publisher by far, I'm sure they're elated.

So from this info, can we glean any other info in regards to the GPU or CPU?

best case from some people here was 16gb of ram.

Eh..."best case" is underselling it, imo. 16 gb was always more "pie in the sky". I mean, that would mean Nintendo would literally be matching the RAM amount of both next gen consoles. That was always going to be a Mt. Everest level tall order.

Wii: 1/6 the RAM of its competition
Wii U: 1/4
Switch: 1/2
Switch 2: 3/4

I'd say we're doing pretty damned good all things considered.

Eh..."best case" is underselling it, imo. 16 gb was always more "pie in the sky". I mean, that would mean Nintendo would literally be matching the RAM amount of both next gen consoles. That was always going to be a Mt. Everest level tall order.

Add it up the fact it's (seemingly?) LPDDR5X RAM, since I can't recall too many examples of regular LPDDR5 going as high as 7500 MT/s and... Yeah, I think 16 GB of LPDDR5X was never realistic to begin with, only somewhat with regular 6400 MT/S LPDDR5 memory.

yeah I mean I was a 12gb ram/138gb storage guy with 256gb as a possibility lmao. Just saying enough people were hoping for 16gb haha

We can truly say that the Switch 2 RAM is both 3/4 (PS5, Series X) and 6/5 (Series S) of the competition :p

Oh so that’s why this site was chugging so bad, we finally have sone big news.
I really don’t think that fami will survive the reveal trailer for switch 2.

Plus in addition to that, the majority of games aren't even taking advantage of what the PS5 can do because quite frankly it's too resource heavy to develop a game that does. Very few companies can even pull that off. You're basically only seeing it with games financed by Sony themselves.

So Switch 2 specs are going to be in the wheelhouse of what most companies are probably targeting anyway.

best case from some people here was 16gb of ram.
Oh I meant the speed. Which is very important. Some expected 88GB/s, others 102. But it’s 120GB/s.

It could have been 16, but would have been 102GB/s or could have been 12 and it’s better RAM, they went with the better RAM.

Oh I meant the speed. Which is very important. Some expected 88GB/s, others 102. But it’s 120GB/s.

It could have been 16, but would have been 102GB/s or could have been 12 and it’s better RAM, they went with the better RAM.
Huh… so the 12GB ram is actually better than the hopeful 16GB?

Like is the ram the Switch 2 be using quite good, with speed, since some people here are mentioning 120GB/s

Pardon my ignorance,

I see a lot of people saying the new system will have "more ram than Series S", but Series S's ram runs at 224gb/s vs Switch 2's which would be 120gb/s. So how does that work? I know that it will have a higher number gigabytes of ram at 12 vs 10 (or likely rate after OS 11 vs 8).

Could someone explain?

Just want to clarify, does this indicate that the 2 6 GB modules are LPDDR5X?

Yeah, they're LPDDR5X. Micron lists them as LPDDR5, for some reason, but if they're running at LPDDR5X speeds, then they're LPDDR5X.

Wooo! So what deductions can we make now that we know the max RAM speed is 120 gb/s Vs 102 gb/s (assuming docked mode)? Slightly better resolution? More solid fps? Better textures?
Safe to expect things like slightly less pop–in, maybe they’re already using higher quality textures to further take advantage of DLSS

Pardon my ignorance,

I see a lot of people saying the new system will have "more ram than Series S", but Series S's ram runs at 224gb/s vs Switch 2's which would be 120gb/s. So how does that work? I know that it will have a higher number gigabytes of ram at 12 vs 10 (or likely rate after OS 11 vs 8).

Could someone explain?

They're referring to the total amount of RAM.

12GB is pretty good assuming they keep the OS in 1GB, 1.5GB at most. Didn't really expect LPDDR5X, that's a really big win if true.
16GB would have been prefect and I can't imagine the price difference between 6GB and 8GB modules would have been significant, but oh well.

Nice to know that the storage is UFS3.1, and also 256GB is good I guess.
Never understood why people care that much about internal storage size to be honest, If you need more space you can always buy external memory if you need it.

Huh… so the 12GB ram is actually better than the hopeful 16GB?

Like is the ram the Switch 2 be using quite good, with speed, since some people here are mentioning 120GB/s
Well, more memory is better of course, but the thing with 5 is that you would have gotten 88GB/s or 102. With 5X it’s faster, but a tradeoff of less overall memory. Being noticeably faster than 5 and eliminating the 88 or 102GB/s would be a worthy tradeoff in my opinion and long term.

So in terms of total output, the Series S still outperforms the Switch 2 with Ram because even though there's less of it, it's much faster than the more bit slower ram of the Switch 2? Is that correct?

wonder how they will sell this at a profit. will be interesting to see. Dunno if they wanna risk another loss console after the Wii U
Everything we’ve seen is solidly in the “adjusted for inflation” cost arena.
I am getting flashbacks to "VRAM in 2020-2024: Why 10GB is enough" which is from 2020 and it's aged like milk. It's got GDDR6X it's fast as fuck boiii. I lived that life. my 3080 from 2020 was feeling dire by 2022. Deadweight in 2024.
If you think the 3080 is “deadweight” then don’t buy a console. You’re in a completely different market. Like, even for a PC market the 3080 is still a high end cars. You’re talking about a handheld.

Procheno mentioned that already - he acknowledges Switch 2 would have more RAM.

He's wondering why people are saying Switch 2 have more than Series S when Switch 2 have a lower speed.

But I'm not sure what that would mean performance wise. Keep in mind Series S has only 8.5 GB ram available for games (the rest goes to OS), whereas Switch (and likely Switch 2 too) uses much lesser RAM - like 700mb or lesser. So more like Switch 2's 11 GB RAM vs Series S's 8.5 GB RAM

So in terms of total output, the Series S still outperforms the Switch 2 with Ram because even though there's less of it, it's much faster than the more bit slower ram of the Switch 2? Is that correct?
Yeah seems about right, however it isn't the biggest deal since the Switch 2 won't be using as high quality textures, models, etc. So the extra speed the Series S has is offset by the fact the Switch 2 won't need it. I think... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Never understood why people care that much about internal storage size to be honest, If you need more space you can always buy external memory if you need it.
Buying external memory in the beginning of a system is a pain in the ass, mostly because how expensive those bad boy are.

The Switch, PS5 and especially the Xbox series x faced those issues because buying storage is stupidly expensive, for example 1 Terabyte of storage for the Xbox cost about 180+ dollars.

Yeah seems about right, however it isn't the biggest deal since the Switch 2 won't be using as high quality textures, models, etc. So the extra speed the Series S has is offset by the fact the Switch 2 won't need it. I think... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Don’t forget about DLSS.

I don't think we can go any lower than Series S settings realistically... At best DLSS will make an even lower resolution palatable and some tasks will be offloaded there and there to the dedicated Ampere hardware to play with Nvidia's strengths.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom