• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

switch2fastmockup2.png

This was made by @mjayer based on last time we found dimensions. Curious if anything has changed (should be 206mm wide for tablet part alone, IDK if anything would change here)
It's perfecto because right between Switch OLED and Rog Ally

I don't have time to compile the details, but, from the shipment listings:

The console has 12 GB RAM, from two 6 GB 7500 MT/s LPDDR5 (LPDDR5X? it's unclear) modules. The internal storage is 256 GB of UFS 3.1.

Thank you to several other people who have been sharing in the research on these listings to determine this.

Edit: I put this in hide tags without thinking because it's shipment stuff, but this is going to get out no matter what, so I might as well remove them.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
You didn't think 8533 speed was possible?
watch MS kill the Series S to spite nintendo
Don't they have more Series S consoles sold vs Series X?
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
With the current gen vs Switch 2 RAM comparison, it's proportionally much better than PS4/Xbone 5.5 vs 3GB of RAM on switch.
I would've preferred 512GB, but 256 is probably fine for most people and I get that they have to reach a price point. 150GB COD install is going to be rough though.
I'd be shocked if it ends up being that much on switch 2, tbqh. CPU clockspeeds, UFS 3.1 storage speeds (or gamecard), and hopefully that decompression hardware should really help balloon games from being an absurd amount. PS4/Xbone had a lot of duplicated files to make up for its slow speeds on CD and HDD. Nothing was compressed. If you compare PS5/X series ports to last gen ports, the former is usually lower due to free things I mentioned, despite having much higher quality textures, and other stuff.

I do expect some 100GB games from third parties... But in theory, file sizes should be a lot smaller than PS4 games. And textures won't need to be as high as PS5/x series ports. But we'll see... I don't expect any more cod ports on last gen.

Procheno mentioned that already - he acknowledges Switch 2 would have more RAM.

He's wondering why people are saying Switch 2 have more than Series S when Switch 2 have a lower speed.

But I'm not sure what that would mean performance wise. Keep in mind Series S has only 8.5 GB ram available for games (the rest goes to OS), whereas Switch (and likely Switch 2 too) uses much lesser RAM - like 700mb or lesser. So more like Switch 2's 11 GB RAM vs Series S's 8.5 GB RAM
It has 8 not 8.5, 8 is with features disabled otherwise its 7.5

If SO is still very lightweight as Switch 1 (0.5GB, let’s say Switch 2 has like 1GB) that means the total RAM for games is like 11GB, thats more than 3 times Switch 1 RAM and like ~85% of PS5/XBSeries RAM

256GB of storage is OK, its more in equivalent than Switch 1 in its time, comparing to PS5/XBSeries is like half or 1/3. Its like modern budget phones.

This is going to be a very powerful machine. Considering the massive success of Switch 1 and the rising costs of current big budget games, wouldn’t strange me developers will stick with current gen hardware until 2030 or more, that gives Switch 2 at least 6 years of full support.

I personally feel like the 2 SKU is probably an all digital one and the other is the normal physical one.

Personally having two different SKU seems extremely unlikely in my personal opinion.

Edit: Didn’t @NateDrake mention an digital only SKU for the Switch 2
That was exploring potential avenues they could consider & wasn't based on any info. Similar to how MS/Sony offer digital-only options to increase revenues via digital purchases.

That was exploring potential avenues they could consider & wasn't based on any info. Similar to how MS/Sony offer digital-only options to increase revenues via digital purchases.
Thanks for the answering and I’m guessing your quite intrigued with the recent information.

Might it be part of your next podcast with MVG?

Pardon my ignorance,
No worries. It's a common question, with a complex answer!
I see a lot of people saying the new system will have "more ram than Series S", but Series S's ram runs at 224gb/s vs Switch 2's which would be 120gb/s. So how does that work? I know that it will have a higher number gigabytes of ram at 12 vs 10 (or likely rate after OS 11 vs 8).

Could someone explain?
RAM speed is separate from RAM amount, for lots of reasons. Series S uses GDDR6, which is a class of RAM that is heavily optimized for speed, over everything else.

Drake - the chip in the new system - uses LPDDR5X, which is a class of RAM optimized for power consumption.

This makes it look like Drake is lacking in the bandwidth department, but that's not entirely true. How much bandwidth a system uses is heavily influenced by the hardware. It's a complex interaction between 1) how the GPU draws to the screen and 2) how much cache the GPU has.

This amount of bandwidth is totally in line for Nvidia GPUs. There are Nvidia GPUs with unusually high bandwidth, but they don't actually perform better than the GPUs with lower bandwidth. So this is a good number.

Safe to expect things like slightly less pop–in, maybe they’re already using higher quality textures to further take advantage of DLSS
Just wanna note that if you're using DLSS, you should be using higher quality assets anyway as Nvidia's DLSS documentation states that you should be scaling things like assets, LODs, and such for the output resolution, not the input resolution.

But yeah, you're spot on.

I personally feel like the 2 SKU is probably an all digital one and the other is the normal physical one.

Personally having two different SKU seems extremely unlikely in my personal opinion.

Edit: Didn’t @NateDrake mention an digital only SKU for the Switch 2
I feel this is unlikely given the likely generational cross compatibility and the current physical digital split.

It also hasn't done the PS5 much good, given the numbers the DE actually does.

With the current gen vs Switch 2 RAM comparison, it's proportionally much better than PS4/Xbone 5.5 vs 3GB of RAM on switch.
Proportionally? It's ABOVE one of the main bits of competition. But yes, 10-11GB of game available RAM is REALLY close to PS5, compared to the Switch - PS4 comparison of 3.2 to 5.5, it could be 11.1 to 12.5.

while it is Exciting to know that there will be an Upgrade to the Speed of the Ram as i see everyone talks about 120GB/s LPDDR5X for Switch 2
but i would like to know were we got this number from and how reliable is the source ?
i mean what is the percentage the Switch 2 will use LPDD5X over LPDDR5 Now ?

Just wanna note that if you're using DLSS, you should be using higher quality assets anyway as Nvidia's DLSS documentation states that you should be scaling things like assets, LODs, and such for the output resolution, not the input resolution.

But yeah, you're spot on.
Thanks for the extra context. 🙏 I assumed that wasn’t common practice at first

"The console has 12 GB RAM, from two 6 GB 7500 MT/s LPDDR5 (LPDDR5X? it's unclear) modules"

And if true, how would it affect if the speed is half that of Series S? Could this be a problem?
It should be fine. What helps is that Switch 2 mainly needs to hit a lower level of graphics natively than Series S for it to be able to upscale the graphics with DLSS.

Last edited:
Yes. A max I/O rate of ≥7500 MT/s is only supported by LPDDR5X.

136.528 GB/s of bandwidth (with a 128-bit bus width) requires the I/O rate to be 8533 MT/s. 7500 MT/s as the I/O rate results in 120 GB/s of bandwidth (with a 128-bit bus width).

So after all the debating between 102 and 134 we get an exact midpoint, amazing. I'm good with this.

switch2fastmockup2.png

This was made by @mjayer based on last time we found dimensions. Curious if anything has changed (should be 206mm wide for tablet part alone, IDK if anything would change here)

Could this allow for a larger, quieter fan that cools better? I hope so.

No worries. It's a common question, with a complex answer!

RAM speed is separate from RAM amount, for lots of reasons. Series S uses GDDR6, which is a class of RAM that is heavily optimized for speed, over everything else.

Drake - the chip in the new system - uses LPDDR5X, which is a class of RAM optimized for power consumption.

This makes it look like Drake is lacking in the bandwidth department, but that's not entirely true. How much bandwidth a system uses is heavily influenced by the hardware. It's a complex interaction between 1) how the GPU draws to the screen and 2) how much cache the GPU has.

This amount of bandwidth is totally in line for Nvidia GPUs. There are Nvidia GPUs with unusually high bandwidth, but they don't actually perform better than the GPUs with lower bandwidth. So this is a good number.

I think I might have asked you this before but how much do you expect the better latency of LPDDR5X to help the Switch 2, vs if the chip was using GDDR6?

while it is Exciting to know that there will be an Upgrade to the Speed of the Ram as i see everyone talks about 120GB/s LPDDR5X for Switch 2
but i would like to know were we got this number from and how reliable is the source ?
the source is shipping manifests from companies that build the console. it's a first hand source

I think I might have asked you this before but how much do you expect the better latency of LPDDR5X to help the Switch 2, vs if the chip was using GDDR6?
I'm not sure, just because there isn't a lot of data on the situation.

Honestly, the low latency bandwidth probably helps the CPU more than the GPU. Low latency memory helps most in cases where you make lots of small reads, which is a pretty classic CPU situation.

out and out

Current $399 model for the Deck already comes with 256GB interal storage, will have more RAM and a better CPU, and while it doesn't come with stuff for doing TV Display mode, as a handheld the controls are already more robust than the joycons. And that's assuming that Valve doesn't decide to do another price drop by 2025.
Actually Switch 2 will have better CPU, is really powerful A78C eight cores, it have apparently same IPC like Zen2

I'd love a Lite model with a very minimal bezel design. Not sure if that's ideal for kids but maybe they can increase the size a tad smidgen. A 1080p screen on something that size with the Drake chip would be just one of the best pure handhelds in existence.

Pardon my ignorance,

I see a lot of people saying the new system will have "more ram than Series S", but Series S's ram runs at 224gb/s vs Switch 2's which would be 120gb/s. So how does that work? I know that it will have a higher number gigabytes of ram at 12 vs 10 (or likely rate after OS 11 vs 8).

Could someone explain?

People are just comparing the number but as far as performance is concerned, having enough ram to store everything you need is better than faster ram. Even at half the speed, reading from ram is still 100 times faster than reading from storage to swap in the data you need. At least that was the case before SSD.

Never understood why people care that much about internal storage size to be honest, If you need more space you can always buy external memory if you need it.

The thing with expansion storage is that we don’t know what it will be. SD cards are too slow compared to UFS and only good for cold storage. The other options are either too expensive, too big, too energy consuming, and/or too dead. The rumored SDexpress on the expensive side. Hopefully economy of scale will bring the price down but probably never at the same level as M2 SSD.

Last edited:
The data posted earlier indicates there will be built in microphones and headphone jacks in the console or controller. It might mean there may be more social features and other things supported like voice chat. I doubt that we will get an OS that is a big upgrade (much to my personal dismay) but I doubt it will be quite as simple as the current Switch's OS.
no folders/themes on Switch sucessor? that disapointing

random aside, I was at microcenter to pick up a new cpu for my desktop and I was able to see first-hand a 2230 nvme drive. until you see one up close, you have no idea how tiny they are. totes could work as expandable storage for something as big as a Switch

So they choose much faster LPDDR5X12, to have better bandwidth, than slower 16 with less bandwidth but more RAM

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Problem in what sense? Because Nintendo won't get any AAA games? That has already been the case since the Switch era begun, except a few miracle ports. So even if that future happens, it just means that in a few years time Nintendo won't get AAA games, just like they didn't get for the past 8 years anyway.
Switch 2 will have AAA Games mostly as same time as Gen9 reports are saying of reliable people

random aside, I was at microcenter to pick up a new cpu for my desktop and I was able to see first-hand a 2230 nvme drive. until you see one up close, you have no idea how tiny they are. totes could work as expandable storage for something as big as a Switch
Problem is heat and power consumption, afaik. Makes SD Express more desirable (in addition to its mass market appeal and easier manipulation by children and untrained people).

Looking ahead, PS5 will enter the latter stage of its life cycle,” Matsuoka is quoted as saying. “As such, we will put more emphasis on the balance between profitability and sales.”

It’s right there, Sony had to cut their PS5 target by 4 million units and their PS5 profitability was down last year because of promotions which didn’t help them reach their target. By comparison, Nintendo just cut Switch sales target by 2.2 million, about half the Sony cut. And Switch is 7 year old system while PS5 is less than 4 years old. Sony was openly dire about PS5 performance at its last earnings briefing, which is rare.
PS6 is Late 2028 based on reports, he just mean enter second half of life cycle

Pardon my ignorance,

Could someone explain?
TL;DR: Unlike Switch 2, the Xbox Series S doesn't have to worry about its power consumption and can use a type of RAM that clocks much faster on the same width memory bus, at the cost of higher power usage and more heat. It's not nothing, but it's also not something that's going to be make-or-break for 99.5% of ports that have a Series S version.

I'm putting the long answer in a spoiler because it's way longer than I thought it would be and the TL;DR makes it mostly extraneous, but I spent too much time writing it to hit delete.

Processors have a tiny amount of memory inside their chips and so can only hold the data they need at the moment, but storage (game carts, SD cards, and internal storage) are too slow to constantly be sending data like audio or textures and animations to the processor, so RAM acts as a staging ground between them. The storage bottleneck is alleviated, because reading 1GB/s is plenty fast if you only need to load most things once per level, and the RAM is fast enough for the processor to do its juggling act of data in -> computation -> data in -> repeat, without dropping any balls.

The amount of RAM determines how much data it can hold at once without having to do its own juggling act between RAM and storage, swapping files in and out. On that front, Switch 2 will be very comfortable. The other side of the coin is bandwidth, which is what you're asking about (sorry it took so long to get to the main point, I want to explain from basics for the benefit of any curious lurkers). Instead of being about how much data the RAM holds, bandwidth is how much data it can move to the processor each second. Since the processor has such a short-term memory, it needs the same data many times a second, which is why the bandwidth is so much higher than the size of the RAM.

To calculate the bandwidth of memory, you take the clock speed it's running at, multiply that by the number of physical circuits connecting it to the processor, double it (because modern memory is Double Data Rate, or DDR, which means it's effectively twice as good as the clock speed), and divide by eight to go from bits to bytes, and divide by one billion to go from bytes to gigabytes. For what our crack detectives have uncovered today we'll skip the step of doubling it because rather than clock speed we received the specification 'Mega Transfers per Second', which here means 'clock speed * one million * 2'. Oh, and we only need to divide by 1,000 to go from megabytes to gigabytes.

For a portable device, the energy consumption of each part becomes critical to the design. Processors, RAM, storage, everything is sandbagged by the fact we can't draw too much power, else the battery life will be horrible and the heat will prematurely wear down the components. The power consumption of RAM is primarily determined (aside from how advanced the manufacturing process is) by speed, the same GB/s we're wondering about. Xbox Series S uses GDDR, that's Graphics DDR. Real-time 3D graphics like video games use are quite bandwidth hungry, so much so that a special type of very fast memory was developed with graphics in the name, but the speed comes at the cost of power consumption and waste heat. Conversely, Switch 2 will be using LPDDR, which is Low Power DDR. In exchange for being easier on the battery, LPDDR has a lower peak speed than GDDR. Switch 2 and the main memory pool on XSS have the same number of pins connecting the RAM to the processor, a 128-bit bus. The big difference is from the type of memory they use; one appropriate for a home console, and one appropriate for a portable device.

If you're worried about the difference in bandwidth hobbling the Switch 2 vs home consoles, don't worry. In my amateur opinion, it's well-matched with what we know and suspect of the processing capabilities of the system, so memory bandwidth shouldn't be any more of a bottleneck than the CPU being clocked much slower than XSS. For reference, Switch has the same memory bandwidth as PS3, but thanks to its other components you would never guess it. Could you imagine something like Witcher 3 or Nier Automata running on PS3? Bandwidth is just one number among many, and when it's a part of a balanced breakfast system things hum along nicely. Xbox One had 68GB/s for comparison, so we're well above that even if Nintendo downclocks the RAM to save on power. A final comparison, for if you're a PC gamer: I'd much rather have an RTX 4080S than an RTX 3080. 3080 has more memory bandwidth, but 4080S is 50%+ faster in real world frames per second at the same settings. Memory bandwidth presents a ceiling, but if games hit another ceiling before hitting this one then we can look at the bandwidth spec number in isolation and just shrug. It will be good enough.

I am getting flashbacks to "VRAM in 2020-2024: Why 10GB is enough" which is from 2020 and it's aged like milk. It's got GDDR6X it's fast as fuck boiii. I lived that life. my 3080 from 2020 was feeling dire by 2022. Deadweight in 2024. Turns out the speed that people thought would compensate ended up not. Yeah, it's not a directly related situation. But I got the same feeling of dread lol. I'm not even worried about Series X/PS5 ports. I'm sure it'll be fine there. it's the gen after that I think about. wonder if devs are gonna have to go out their way to miracle port their stuff for next gen which is probably like what 4 years away?
Considering we're just barely starting to get many games that aren't on PS4, the not-PS5 games will start showing up in big numbers... 2032 maybe? If PS6 numbers are big enough and developers have the manpower to take advantage?
still won't fit in my pocket like the OLED does

ironically the larger size will be a bigger issue for men since we have big luxurious pockets for our big dumb switch 1s that will be outmoded by the even bigger dumber switch 2
I built Switch-sized pockets into my jacket. But now the bottoms are coming apart and the jacket is faded, so time to start again.

I don't have time to compile the details, but, from the shipment listings:

The console has 12 GB RAM, from two 6 GB 7500 MT/s LPDDR5 (LPDDR5X? it's unclear) modules. The internal storage is 256 GB of UFS 3.1.

Thank you to several other people who have been sharing in the research on these listings to determine this.

Edit: I put this in hide tags without thinking because it's shipment stuff, but this is going to get out no matter what, so I might as well remove them.
Thanks for confirming kind sir. It's what most predicted then.

Now hopefully all we need is 4nm.

So with 12 GB of RAM, would it be reasonable to assume that 10.5 GB would be available to developers for games? I'm assuming Nintendo will reserve more than 500 MBs for the OS this time around to allow for more features.

To add some context, the RAM part is this one from Micron, which is a 6GB 7500MT/s 64-bit part. They list it as LPDDR5, but 7500MT/s is a LPDDR5X speed, so that may be just how they list things. With a 128-bit bus, two of these parts would give us 12GB of RAM operating at a peak of 120GB/s.

The UFS is a Kioxia part labelled THGJFGT1E45BAILHW0. They don't have a specific page for it, but both Mouser and Jak Electronics list it as a 256GB UFS 3.1 part. Kioxia's website lists a THGJFGT1E45BAIP as a 256GB UFS 3.1, so it may be a revised version of that part.

In both cases, there's a good chance that Nintendo will be sourcing from multiple suppliers, but they'd all match these specs.

Edit: Peak read speeds for UFS 3.1 should be close to 2GB/s, although with both game cards and external storage almost certainly lower than that, I don't know if games could quite use it. Still, it definitely shouldn't be a bottleneck.
Thank you too mister.

So with 12 GB of RAM, would it be reasonable to assume that 10.5 GB would be available to developers for games? I'm assuming Nintendo will reserve more than 500 MBs for the OS this time around to allow for more features.
10GB for games a minimum, I say. 2GB might be crazy given the Switch, but we don't know what nintendo is planning for the OS and just having more than the Series S is already an amazing starting ground. most other features people want can easily fit within 2GB with room to spare

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom