• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

No, the initial plan was Samsung 8N along with Orin but they they changed course and decided to redesign for a superior node.

Orin was gonna be 8N either way. But now, Nintendo can amortize $100m- $200m of redesign costs over 100m+ units so the per unit cost is only $1-$2m. And you’re not starting from scratch if you can share processes from other chips. Especially since utilization rates dropped for sold advanced nodes after the shortage ended.
You are starting from scratch. That's the problem.

And you still need to test the chips which is why they were in the Nvidia leak. Since this hypotetical chip isn't, it's so new, it doesn't physically exist yet or only just did. Which points to a 2025 or 2026 release

I wouldn't say it's unbelievable, just pretty unlikely.

We also have a mega hack from last year showing all of the tegra chips in development and it was just T239. If there was another chip being made (a die shrink of T239) it would have a different code name and would also be in the files for NVN2.

I think you guys are putting too much stock into a snapshot in time from what could have been data collected in late 2021 or early 2022.

The decision to change nodes could have been made after the cut off date of the stolen info. You don’t need 2-years to redesign an existing chip onto a node that had been producing chips for Lovelace for over a full year now.

The 8N dev kit can be set to target device specs. It doesn’t need to be on the same node. Dev kit doesn’t need to be limited by energy consumption/heat/battery life.

No one is walking around with a battery powered dev kit. It’s for sure just a mode on a stationary device.
I'm not that knowledgeable about semiconductors in general but based on what I learned in a brief amount of time here, I find it highly unlikely there'd be two different node processes for the T239. It costs time and money to tapeout, send it to fabrication, cutting wafers from fabrication, etc. I seriously doubt they're doing to do a separate node process just for devkits.

Interestingly Borderlands 3 is running on Switch with an unlocked frame rate (where 1, 2, and the Pre-Sequel run capped at 30)

Seems like it would be a prime candidate for “BC w/ boosted clocks” to maintain 60FPS

This was before T239's time, but this got me curious when I found this - What was T186? Dated July 10 2021.

Dife6sv.png

It says "T186" next to "T210" (we know T210 as Tegra X1, which is Nintendo Switch).

Wikipedia says T186 is Tegra X2? Also, a "camera module" was mentioned.

no, as Jetson boards. the TX2 was never used for anything nintendo

Jetson-X2-and-Carrier-product-page-image.png
So probably saving money on shipping costs putting T186 and T210 together in the same box (though unrelated to each other)?

Nvm, i'm an idiot. I forgot Tegra X1's were off-the-shelf.

I’ve been lurking for a while. Thank you to all the people who corroborate evidence and do research itt. Im excited, it’s time.

Keeping on topic
Hi everyone, after reading the discussion in this thread and having our own internally, we agree that it would be better if this thread stayed more towards topics regarding hardware with regards to the [Redacted]. Discussions around launch line ups are generally fair game and some game topics intertwine with the hardware discussion, but the majority of software discussion can be had in other threads. Keep in mind that we have the First Party Software thread and the General Discussion thread. Also, people are still free to make specific speculation threads if they wish to.

Off-topic chatter is one thing, but we want to try to keep this thread on track as often as we can.

-Josh5890, VolcanicDynamo, xghost777

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
HS/HSN codes are just vague categories, and they're chosen at the discretion of someone involved with the shipping process who probably doesn't give too much thought to them, or just uses the same code their company always uses whenever they ship an electronic device. We shouldn't expect them to be consistent or to mean much specifically.

HSN codes are just vague categories, and they're chosen at the discretion of someone involved with the shipping process who doesn't give too much thought to them, or just uses the same code every their company always uses whenever they ship an electronic device. We shouldn't expect them to be consistent or to mean much specifically.
I think there's a whole lot more to HS codes than just arbitrary labels. Apparently they're needed so appropriate tarrifs would apply to any incoming goods.

So I don't think they can just legally call everything "an electronic device". They have to be more specific than that, especially considering current trade sanctions...

I think there's a whole lot more to HS codes than just arbitrary labels. Apparently they're needed so appropriate tarrifs would apply to any incoming goods.

So I don't think they can just legally call everything "an electronic device". They have to be more specific than that, especially considering current trade sanctions...
I disagree. Regardless, the serial numbers prove what the T210 shipments were. We can only speculate about the T239 shipments, but the fact that they used different HSNs doesn't mean anything.

I've asked this before, but what else can we really discuss that hasn't been exhausted at this point? I understand the importance of staying on topic, but that's becoming harder and harder, the more we loop around with little news.

Most (all?) of those with code 85437099 that has "T239" in the description also says "functional test PCA".

PCA = printed circuit assembly.

PCA is something I would categorize more as electrical equipment (HSN code 85437099), rather than HSN code 95045000 for video games.

Last edited:
Quoted by: SiG
I've asked this before, but what else can we really discuss that hasn't been exhausted at this point? I understand the importance of staying on topic, but that's becoming harder and harder, the more we loop around with little news.
Ideally, the thread would grow quiet in times like this. It should really only briefly pick up around the time of the shareholder briefing, then quiet back down until more rumors start to come out around February or March of next year.

edit: just caught up on the past few days and it turns out there was actually news the whole time? whoops, that's what I get for not reading the thread

Last edited:
at this point i suppose to wait any information from the sources that speak at gamescom, until nintendo say something official or we get actual relevant information in more specs of the new device

I disagree. Regardless, the serial numbers prove what the T210 shipments were. We can only speculate about the T239 shipments, but the fact that they used different HSNs doesn't mean anything.
The landscape has changed quiite a lot over the past few years since 2015/2016 given the US/China trade sanctions over phones, so I suspect certain regions have laws that force them into declaring particular goods as "Video game consoles" rather than just "electronic equipment".
Most (all?) of those with code 85437099 that has "T239" in the description also says "functional test PCA".

PCA = printed circuit assembly.

PCA is something I would categorize more as electrical equipment (HSN code 85437099), rather than HSN code 95045000 for video games.
I do think "pure" dev kits with classify more as an "apparatus" than a devkit which can double as both an end-user device which might make it fall more squarely under "video game console".

Well, there was a new topic of discussion just yesterday, and then posts about it got spread out over like 6 pages because of a Smash roster discussion. Clearly there can still be new topics, and when there aren't, it's okay for people to just wait until there are.

If there's nothing to discuss it's perfectly fine for the thread to go dormant for a little bit. There's no need to have discussions in it just for the sake of keeping it active.

I do think "pure" dev kits with classify more as an "apparatus" than a devkit which can double as both an end-user device which might make it fall more squarely under "video game console".
There are two different entries: Carpa X1 "sw development platform", those has HSN code 95045000 (video games).

The rest says "Functional test PCA", 85437099 (electrical equipment).

Which one do you think sounds more like devkits?

I'm not exactly sure what "printed circuit assembly" is, but maybe it's used for testing voltage levels, clocks, etc? I majored in electrical engineering for a brief time, I worked with PCBs which are just "breadboards" you insert resistors, capacitors, etc in but am not sure what a "PCA" is.

Either way, "functional test PCA" and "Carpa X1 sw development platform" seems like two distinctly different items, I would wager the HSN codes they used are properly categorized for the contents of the shipment.

If not much is happening, we should use the other threads that's relevant to what we want to post about. Much better than treating this thread like a general discord chat. This way we keep this thread nice and clean, and easier to find hardware info. The way it is now, hardware information is lost in all our crazy offtopic chats 😅

Have anyone came across this one? Probably nothing exciting (sounds like an accessory or hardware part).

hBIsdIL.png

Full text: "ADAPTOR PEDESTAL T239 PEDESTAL 21 OR 23 MM X 21 OR 23MM SUBZ A01-001941", HSN code 85437099 (electrical equipment).

Origin: Taiwan, Destination: India.

I was hesitant to share this until I found this associated to "Nvidia graphics private limited", combined with T239 in description...

Last edited:
Have anyone came across this one? Probably nothing exciting (sounds like an accessory or hardware part).

hBIsdIL.png

Full text: "ADAPTOR PEDESTAL T239 PEDESTAL 21 OR 23 MM X 21 OR 23MM SUBZ A01-001941", HSN code 85437099 (electrical equipment).

Origin: United States, Destination: India.

I was hesitant to share this until I found this associated to "Nvidia graphics private limited", combined with T239 in description...
it might help put credence to the idea of the T239 being connected to that one Indian guy's linkedin profile if they were getting shipments for the thing

I mean we could make a general thread for Switch 2 speculation, but that would be about everything.
I think this is the best solution to but they've pointed to the First Party Development thread for speculating about games so I guess we just gotta use that.

I think this is the best solution to but they've pointed to the First Party Development thread for speculating about games so I guess we just gotta use that.

But even that's not a solution since we would talk about marketing, speculation on announcements, online, etc

it might help put credence to the idea of the T239 being connected to that one Indian guy's linkedin profile if they were getting shipments for the thing
Well nvidia does have offices in India. I don't think there was any doubt T239 had a big part of its origins rooted in India.

That T239 github commit was done by someone who has LinkedIn profile based in same city in India as those two other engineers. One with T239 in LinkedIn profile, the other one with resume that we're not sure is connected to T239 though. Does that help?

Nvidia have several offices in India, I don't think anyone can see which city those shipments were going to. That would be nice piece of information!

Last edited:
I guess that could fit. "The purpose of the software PCA is to ensure that the design and reference documentation is consistent with the as-built software product."

I was basing PCA on LiC's post with breakdown of various terms in the "functional test PCA" entries.
Printed circuit (board) assembly just means a board with other components attached to it, so it would describe any sort of test board, Jetson module, devkit, etc. (as opposed to PCB which is just an individual circuit board). The description and the E2423 model number identify that it is an SLT (system-level test) board, so I think that definition of PCA makes the most sense. Doesn't really change the picture if it means something else though -- it's an E2423 SLT board either way.

hBIsdIL.png

Origin: United States, Destination: India.

The exporter seems to be Chroma ATE Inc., who are based in Taiwan but I guess shipping from the US. They certainly seem like a company that would provide additional equipment to support silicon testing. T239 being in the name is interesting, since I would expect them to provide generic products, but maybe this component was custom designed for it? No idea what an adaptor pedestal is, but I doubt it's very interesting in practice, unless the area (between 21 mm² and 23 mm²) tells us something. But unless someone with the right background actually knows what that is, speculating about that could tip us into bad conclusions pretty easily.

Last edited:
But unless someone with the right background actually knows what that is, speculating about that could tip us into bad conclusions pretty easily.

Conclusion: They want to put Switch 2 on a higher pedestal because it's so gosh-darned awesome.

Edit: Thanks btw for mentioning Chroma Ate Inc/Taiwan. Realized I've been reading the entries wrong, I know where to find the right origin info now.

Last edited:
we literally have a thread called "nintendo general discussion" and people are still wondering where to talk about general nintendo topics
Hell lets go even further, There's an entire forum beyond this thread that people refuse to use. Like the Smash bros tangent could of been it own topic or the launch lineup discussion that randomly pops up that even has a thread. Everything doesn't have to stay in this thread ,we don't need +10 pages everyday it makes it hard to keep up.

So is 8nm confirmed? 🫢 So what does this mean for the power of device? 😢
Nope, no one knows. But if it is 8nm, we're dealing with something that'd be a bit less powerful while also more power hungry and more expensive to produce. There are better alternatives that use less power, are cheaper, and have better processing power. It just doesn't make sense to use the 8nm chip in any way so it's unlikely.

Nope, no one knows. But if it is 8nm, we're dealing with something that'd be a bit less powerful while also more power hungry and more expensive to produce. There are better alternatives that use less power, are cheaper, and have better processing power. It just doesn't make sense to use the 8nm chip in any way so it's unlikely.
I’m reading the thread here and some people seem to be sure it’s 8nm based on the new shipment info.

I’m reading the thread here and some people seem to be sure it’s 8nm based on the new shipment info.
If you're talking about Connor's tweet, no. It was stated from the beginning Connor is unreliable and also was stated there's nothing in Connor's screenshot that confirmed 8nm. Nor anywhere in the website we figured out where Connor got the screenshot from.

Connor is full of it.

I think you guys are putting too much stock into a snapshot in time from what could have been data collected in late 2021 or early 2022.

The decision to change nodes could have been made after the cut off date of the stolen info. You don’t need 2-years to redesign an existing chip onto a node that had been producing chips for Lovelace for over a full year now.
Question is why would they ever think 12SM on 8nm was a good idea in the first place, if the node isn't good enough to run it efficiently as a handheld.

This was before T239's time, but this got me curious when I found this - What was T186? Dated July 10 2021.

Dife6sv.png

It says "T186" next to "T210" (we know T210 as Tegra X1, which is Nintendo Switch).

Wikipedia says T186 is Tegra X2? Also, a "camera module" was mentioned.
Yes it makes sense. TX1 and TX2 were also used in cars. Carpa ironically enough, is not to our knowledge.

Lord have mercy I’m bout to bustttt

Don’t let yourself be set up for disappointment. The chances of a reveal this year are quite low. If it gets revealed then great, amazing, but just keep in mind that the people telling you this have been saying the same thing every quarter on a looped basis.

Last edited:
The exporter seems to be Chroma ATE Inc., who are based in Taiwan but I guess shipping from the US. They certainly seem like a company that would provide additional equipment to support silicon testing. T239 being in the name is interesting, since I would expect them to provide generic products, but maybe this component was custom designed for it? No idea what an adaptor pedestal is, but I doubt it's very interesting in practice, unless the area (between 21 mm² and 23 mm²) tells us something. But unless someone with the right background actually knows what that is, speculating about that could tip us into bad conclusions pretty easily.
Probably the wrong interpretation of this data but I wonder if 21/23mm gives any form of hint to the thickness of the device?
For comparison the Switch is ~14mm and Steam Deck is ~48mm

Question is why would they ever think 12SM on 8nm was a good idea in the first place, if the node isn't good enough to run it efficiently as a handheld.
Could be a better SEC node though the chance is low still

Would be relatively cheap as a design though, why? They don’t need to start everything from scratch if it’s based on another product from the same vendor, no one does that. Orin would be significantly more expensive as a design than say, T239

Would keep it small and manageable.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom