• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Yes, people generally dislike me because they feel I can’t read the room, but I can, the room (in gaming and sports where I’m most disliked) is sometimes just dominated way too much by group think that is incomprehensible outside of the very dedicated communities.

No real person thought the Heat were going to trade Tyler Herro for a great player (outside of overly passionate basketball circles) and no one thought the Switch 2 was a lock for 2023 (outside of hardcore Nintendo circles).

People just get too excited to the point of being a little weird and then get mad at me.
But… it literally has nothing to do with this 💀

Reading the room but you read the room we aren’t in.
I do and I can actually comment about this.

The Steam Deck is... heavy. Very heavy actually, it's not something you can hold above your head when playing on a bed. That being said, it's so much more comfortable to use than the Switch thanks to the additional weight and the space used for ergonomics such as the button placement, sticks, back buttons and the general feel of the device. To compare the two, while I get the preference towards the Switch, I really love how the Steam Deck feels and would rather use it over the Switch in most situations if they were identical in every other way except for weight and shell-design.
I have held a Steam Deck to feel how heavy it is. I don’t own one because I already have too many other game systems.

My preference are actually pretty weird though as I’m a sicko who used an incredibly heavy gaming laptop for several years.
I see, but take into account the audience and the range of people that use the switch, do you believe that Nintendo would be willing to give a device that is heavy to hold not only for the kids but also the elderly?

Some thoughts… A prospective successor will be around for 7-8 years, possibly more. 7 has been the standard for HD consoles. Games are escalating in their scale and increasingly expensive to develop. Also, part of the “uncharted territory” is selling as much as they are in the 7th year. On a successor, said territory is no longer uncharted. That’s just as true for their partners. 7 years or more was also common for their portables - DS was around for 7 years, and in production for about 9. 3DS was around for 7 years, and in production for about 8. For all sorts of logical and practical reasons, there won’t be a “Pro” for their successors, and there never will. You can thank me for telling you this so that you don’t get sucked into rumour mill grifts driven by certain Youtubers and gaming publications. Developers don’t want it, especially smaller studios which target multiple platforms, and where an extra performance profile would stretch resources thin/to a point where port costs aren’t worthwhile.

8nm is highly unlikely because it’s an end-of-the-line process, which alludes to further shrinkages being near impossible - That’s something they’ll need to consider when doing a Lite/hardware revision. Also, it’s clear that this SoC has been developed alongside Nvidia’s Lovelace products, and there were whispers about a future Nintendo console having a Lovelace GPU in it as far back as 2021 - Some conflated this with the idea of a “Pro” system, but it was always the successor, and that’s been why I’ve always said that it’s better to exercise more patience, if it means we get a higher performance in the next console. Lovelace starts on Nvidia’s custom 4nm/5nm process, and it offers the best value, as others have demonstrated here - So, before “Nintendo is cheap” trolls get in their drive-by car, you’ll have to decide if that “cheapness” means they’ll apply it to get the better process, or pay more for a worse one because of a foundationless, perceived “aversion to the idea of more performance”. Take your pick. It can’t be both. I have thoughts on whether it’s full Ampere, or full Lovelace, or elements of both, but I won’t go into more details in this post (I refuse to call it Lovelamp, so, let’s go with Amperada…).

But let’s also speak to the possibility of the 8nm process - If they decide to go with that, it’s because they’ve done enough due diligence to give it the green light. So, I’m not seeing it right now for the panic, it feels a little overcooked on here. The Orin products and others made on this process have featured automotive elements, and it’s entirely possible that this was a factor in the SoC performance, heating issues, and clock speed limitations. Also, the CPUs were multi-clustered. Furthermore, the Orin products haven’t been built with RT or DLSS in mind. The truth is that none of us have enough to determine the extent to which these factors were a hindrance, whether it was the sum of those elements rather than the process itself. However, Nintendo’s SoC won’t have any of these concerns I listed, so, the Orin tools posted much earlier in this thread are extremely flawed for that reason, and they shouldn’t be taken as an indicator of the power consumption or performance. We can also concentrate on what’s being reported, where it can be traced to the horse’s mouth and developers. If, between now, reveal, and launch, developers express dissent or dissatisfaction with the successor’s performance, then, and only then will there be a reason to be concerned. I don’t believe we’re anywhere near close to that point at all, and we can continue daring to expect, based on the latest reports. 💕✨
Quoting this once more, because the “8nm Or Not 8nm” thing is overcooked, and it continues to gloss over the points I’ve made, which do matter here. 💕✨

I’m not confident in any way about the size of the device, but I do think there’s going to be a limit in regards to its weight.

Switch Lite - 275g
Nintendo 3DS XL - 336g
Switch - 398g
Switch OLED - 420g
Wii U gamepad - 491g
SteamDeck - 680g
ROG Ally - 609g

Sorry didn’t want to fuss with source linking, but they’re pulled from IGN, windows central, Nintendo etc.

I really don’t see Nintendo pushing much higher than where they are now. Wii U is a fair bit bigger and a bit heavier than the OLED, but it also was never likely considered the same as a handheld.

When we talk about this hypothetical 8NM ‘big boi’ Switch 2, does it assume it’s going to weight as much as the Deck or just be as large as the Deck?

Culture-Nintendo-Switch-631599642-web.jpg

was this foreshadowing the Switch 2's size?

I’m not confident in any way about the size of the device, but I do think there’s going to be a limit in regards to its weight.

Switch Lite - 275g
Nintendo 3DS XL - 336g
Switch - 398g
Switch OLED - 420g
Wii U gamepad - 491g
SteamDeck - 680g
ROG Ally - 609g

Sorry didn’t want to fuss with source linking, but they’re pulled from IGN, windows central, Nintendo etc.

I really don’t see Nintendo pushing much higher than where they are now. Wii U is a fair bit bigger and a bit heavier than the OLED, but it also was never likely considered the same as a handheld.

When we talk about this hypothetical 8NM ‘big boi’ Switch 2, does it assume it’s going to weight as much as the Deck or just be as large as the Deck?
inb4 Switch 2 is 500g

A good tagine Nintendo could do with Switch 2 is call it "the most powerful smallest console". They obviously cannot compete spec wise but this is something Nintrndo could do if they wanted to have fun with it.

400g is too heavy for a handheld in my experience. I also think the Switch pro controller is slightly heavier than ideal.

Is it at all possible that the 8 inch screen could be smartphone aspect ratio (about 20.5:9)? That would make it about the same height as the standard Switch's screen, but wider. The extra screen real estate on either side could be used for virtual buttons unique to each game.

Sorry, but that video is not Doctre at his best. LinkedIn is his hammer, so to hit the nails, everything LinkedIn says must be taken as comprehensive and accurate -- but that's just not true.

The profile has one single bullet point under July 2020 - October 2023 that says "currently working on Tegras in 8nm" so Doctre thinks that means he must have clocked into work and sat down to do that bullet point every day until October 2023. Anyone who actually has a LinkedIn knows that's ridiculous. People just don't update their LinkedIns and they don't carefully choose the bullet points to make sure they cover everything.

But even setting that aside, there's another problem, which is that T239 was taped out and finalized in 2022. This engineer is provably not working on T234 or T239 anymore, so the "currently" either doesn't mean currently, or if we accept the logic of everything on LinkedIn being accurate like that, it's not T239 because T239 is not being worked on at all anymore.

Last edited:
Hear me out, is it possible the rumor if two switches prices differently is true. One digital only and the other allowing physical disc. Also one uses 8nm and the other uses 5.

shit, is that just a guess, anecdotal, or based on data?

in any case I'd agree that even the original switch is a big let down to its concept

When I traveled to Japan a long time ago, I saw many DS users on the streets and public transportation, but on my recent trip to Japan, most of them were sitting on the subway, looking at their smartphones, and walking down the street.
Purely anecdotally, I was in Japan in 2019, and there were Switches everywhere.

in Japan the Switch has outsold every TV console ever made, and is going to be the best selling console in Japan period by the end of the fiscal I don’t think the concept is flawed.

The Steam Deck to Switch/Switch 2 comparisons are pointless. Steam Deck is a completely Niche device for an extremely niche market. Most PC gamers are not going to give up their PCs for a Steam Deck. Switch 2 could easily be a big device and sell more in a few months then Steam Deck will sell in most of its lifetime.

Nintendo is going to create a device that fits what the technology demands. Lets not forget Nintendo actively pursued the idea of the Wii U being entirely inside of the Gamepad but it was not feasible at that point and the Gamepad was mocked for its fisher price ness.
Pc/steam market is niche now?, steam has over 100 millions users lol ifs certainly not niche

Hear me out, is it possible the rumor if two switches prices differently is true. One digital only and the other allowing physical disc. Also one uses 8nm and the other uses 5.

That would be extremely weird for many reasons.

One of them being that it won't use discs. :D

What it do bruh

Time to scare y'all once again and add another 15 pages

Well, as he mentioned in this same video, there was a TSMC 5nm project at some point in 2022. That also happens to be in the same city as the 8nm one Doctre81 uncovered.

We don't know if the 5nm project is T239.

We also don't know if the 8nm project that Doctore81 just uncovered is T239.

So.. I guess not confirmed either way whether it is 5nm or 8nm

Also, as was pointed out, they're not likely to be working on T239 SoC still at this point.

Last edited:
Purely anecdotally, I was in Japan in 2019, and there were Switches everywhere.

in Japan the Switch has outsold every TV console ever made, and is going to be the best selling console in Japan period by the end of the fiscal I don’t think the concept is flawed.
I mean to say that if people can't or don't conveniently use it as a handheld or tabletop, then its size has failed the concept. If you've observed otherwise that's great to hear.

Personally I like to think that if I took a commuter train daily I'd use the Switch, but I wonder if I'd be more inclined to just bring my New 3DS. Accordingly I recognize the argument that convenience is already lost so size may as well be conceded.

no

A good tagine Nintendo could do with Switch 2 is call it "the most powerful smallest console". They obviously cannot compete spec wise but this is something Nintrndo could do if they wanted to have fun with it.
until some Android maker or Apple comes in and argues a phone is a console

Almost certainly they will do that. It might be in the past already but Nintendo loved to boast their power increases whenever they got one, I do think they'll let the games do the talking though.

talking about potential sales maybe years out from now
OK since we’re going to discuss the possibility of potential sales for this device, the steam deck would have to be in creation for probably 10 to 15 years and it would have to at least do close to one and a half to 2M every year since it came out to achieve 20 million.

Like we have to be realistic

Last edited:
talking about potential sales maybe years out from now
It’s too late. That would take probably another 10 years and Valve would’ve moved on to another product. That would’ve been like saying the Wii U was going to do 20 million after seeing its first years of sales. It didn’t start great and never was going to take off after that.

In-between switch oled and rog ally size is what I'm personally expecting it to be around (With a bigger screen-to-body ratio like the oled too), and about the wii u gamepad in weight with joy-cons attached

Rog ally I'd say is the maximum size for a comfortable handheld, anything more and it becomes too large/heavy for a lot of people, and a chore to hold while laying down for example.

The thing I'm more interested in than sheer size is ergonomics. Switch 1 isn't very comfortable for me to hold, because its weight distribution, itty-bitty buttons, and lack of grip. I'd love for them to make the switch successor feel amazing in the hands. Maybe take a page or two from the wii u gamepad LOL.

asus-rog-ally-steam-deck-nintendo-switch-with-witcher-3-v0-s5leg3zvcg6b1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad I got whinge about oversized portables one last time before the thread goes back to being technical. Sayonara siliconheads, I'll check back in when there are spec or factory leaks

So part of me has been debating about the validity of the SEC8nm claims versus going TSMS 4N, but I feel I've been taking the wrong approach on the matter, trying to question the sources instead of seeing if using such a node was still feasable given supply constraints.

So instead I tried to come up with a thought experiment as to if there was any possible reason Nvidia/Nintendo would want to stick with Samsung's SEC8nm as opposed to switching over to TSMCs 4N, and if 8nm nodes are even still being used.

Cost might seem like a big factor, but it doesn't seem 8nm prices have gone down, which makes me think the only other reason is that Samsung is offering them a very heavily discounted price on it or perhaps on other components as well. Meanwhile, TSMC 4N remains cheaper per die bulkwise.

Another is availability and logistics: If SEC8nm remains mostly in the realm of automotive chip production, then producing a large number of the successor to meet up with demand shouldn't be as much an issue since there wouldn't be as much supply constrains in the chain.

Edit: Might I also want to add no "Nintendo gonna Nintendo/being on obsolete node just for the sake of it" arguments. That counts as an immediate ban in my book.

As far as I'm concerned, the person on the LinkedIn profile could be talking about working on all variants of Orin, especially with Nvidia mentioning that Jetson Orin Nano started shipping on April 2023.
I think it was just the original development of T234 back in 2020-2022. Orin NX and Nano are not new T234 dies, they're just binned chips, so no work on the memory subsystems of those SoCs was being done in 2023 or "currently," any more than it was for T239. So that part of the profile should not read be literally. The only Tegra "currently" in development is Thor, and it's not 8nm.

Personally I think the node discussion should have died when we started getting reports of the performance being impressive, probably even exceeding the expectations people were setting for ray tracing. We already know Nintendo won't release it with like one hour of battery life, and we can be reasonably sure they won't make an enormous handheld. So what's there even to worry about?

Oh yea, there was that 7LPH bullshit rumor at some point in that busy time a week or two ago? A quick point I want to get off my chest about that: it's so insulting about Samsung foundry.
Remember, that 7LPH joke is about a further refinement of their 10nm generation node. Right now, they have a 7nm generation node (which goes by the name of 5) and a 5nm generation node (which goes by the name of 4). And they're supposed to be working on 3GAE, their first Gate-All-Around node. And at the same time, they're allegedly yet again refining a node that debuted in 2017? What kind of foundry continues to work on their 3rd newest node? Do you see Intel* sticking another + on 14nm while working on their Intel 4/3 and 20a nodes? Do you see TSMC adding another member to the N7 family while getting N3E out the door and N2 ready for 2025?

*I know that some readers out there will go 'ah ha, what about Intel 16 huh!?'
That's actually derived from their 22nm node 😤
But seriously, that exists expressly to be the cheap option for external foundry clients. And Intel offering foundry services to outsiders is kind of a recent project.

---

LiC's right.
We have performance impressions from GamesCom.
We have a rough idea of battery life (if you don't remember this particular detail that was mentioned already in this thread, don't ask me; it's not my place to answer).
That's two sides of the triangle; the missing side is size. I don't think that the next device will be humongous big; seems un-Nintendo.

Are there any nodes even better than 4N (technically 5nm right?) that would possibly be conceivable? Are we in a situation where the best-case scenario is the most likely scenario?

If we happened to live in the insane impossible reality where Nintendo decided to go ALL-IN on tech and release a 3nm SOC in a product in 2024... how much of a bump in performance would that be? Like only around a third? (aka from 3TF to 4TF?) doesn't seem worth it depending on the cost increase, which I have no clue what kind of bump that would be. Anyone care to make some educated estimates on that? And the final question is availability... also no clue.

• Would 3nm be a big performance increase over 5nm?
  • How much more expensive than 5nm would it be per SOC? (Going from 399 switch to 499?)
  • Is there enough availability for Nvida/Nintendo to place that order for next year?
Edit: Doing some of my own research...
According to media reports, Apple has secured 100% of the initial supply of N3, TSMC’s first-generation 3-nm process, starting as a baseline. The early reports show that the N3 process yield could be as high as 80%. Next, TSMC plans to move to a more advanced 3-nm version, N3E, in the second half of 2023. That’s when other TSMC customers—AMD, Intel, and Qualcomm—plan to adopt the 3-nm process for their chips.

N3, which uses an ultra-complex process with 24-layer multi-pattern extreme ultraviolet (EUV) lithography, is denser and thus offers higher logic density. On the other hand, N3E, which uses a simpler 19-layer single-pattern technology, is easier to produce and is less expensive. It’ll also use less power and clock higher compared to the baseline N3 process.

TSMC’s CEO C. C. Wei expects the 3-nm manufacturing process to be worth more than $1.5 trillion business within five years of volume production. For now, however, N3 wafers cost around $20,000 compared to $16,000 for TSMC’s 5-nm node called N5. That’s partly why chip developers besides Apple are known to sit on the sidelines while waiting for the more economical N3E process node.

So that, I believe, does not completely rule it out. And it looks like it's only about 25% more expensive than 5nm. And that isn't on the more advanced version that would be available for other customers than apple being manufactured starting right about now, which this article states is cheaper.

Compared to its 5-nm node, which TSMC launched in 2020, the mega-fab claims that its N3 process offers 60% to 70% higher logic density and 15% higher performance while consuming 30% to 35% less power.

So higher density here may in fact make this even cheaper per SOC than 5nm, or am I reading that wrong? 25% more expensive but 60% denser?

And then power, I never understand how/why they break it up between performance and power, just pick one and tell us the number. So 15% more while pulling a third less juice.. okay so how much more at the same juice levels? 45% more performance? That would take us from 3TF to 4.35TF on a SOC that would probably run cooler and might even be more affordable per chip on 3nm? Tell me why this is totally wrong.

It's unavailable?

Last edited:
In-between switch oled and rog ally size is what I'm personally expecting it to be around (With a bigger screen-to-body ratio like the oled too), and about the wii u gamepad in weight with joy-cons attached

Rog ally I'd say is the maximum size for a comfortable handheld, anything more and it becomes too large/heavy for a lot of people, and a chore to hold while laying down for example.

The thing I'm more interested in than sheer size is ergonomics. Switch 1 isn't very comfortable for me to hold, because its weight distribution, itty-bitty buttons, and lack of grip. I'd love for them to make the switch successor feel amazing in the hands. Maybe take a page or two from the wii u gamepad LOL.

asus-rog-ally-steam-deck-nintendo-switch-with-witcher-3-v0-s5leg3zvcg6b1.jpg
Buy these you'll thank me later.

Then Switch'll be the size of the Steam Deck 😁

Are there any nodes even better than 4N (technically 5nm right?) that would possibly be conceivable? Are we in a situation where the best-case scenario is the most likely scenario?

If we happened to live in the insane impossible reality where Nintendo decided to go ALL-IN on tech and release a 3nm SOC in a product in 2024... how much of a bump in performance would that be? Like only around a third? (aka from 3TF to 4TF?) doesn't seem worth it depending on the cost increase, which I have no clue what kind of bump that would be. Anyone care to make some educated estimates on that? And the final question is availability... also no clue.

• Would 3nm be a big performance increase over 5nm?
  • How much more expensive than 5nm would it be per SOC? (Going from 399 switch to 499?)
  • Is there enough availability for Nvida/Nintendo to place that order for next year?
I can't speak for cost, but N3E won't allow for a big perf increase.
I may be sort of repeating myself? Similar response as I made here.

Oh, one more point that I haven't mention recently. I'd like to re-iterate my opinion that given 128-bit LPDDR5 or LPDDR5X, I think that N5 family is just about right. I think that as far as what N3E allows for, you'd probably need the standardization of LPDDR5T to truly realize the potential. And as far as I'm aware, LPDDR5T is still SK Hynix-specific.

Probably has been said before -- But the whole reason 8nm debate makes zero sense (for me at least) because of the connection TSMC 4nm has with Nvidia. By proxy, Nintendo would benefit from that. Like why reduce the CUDA core count yet keep such a large chip size? Seems overkill.

Last edited:
LiC's right.
We have performance impressions from GamesCom.
We have a rough idea of battery life (if you don't remember this particular detail that was mentioned already in this thread, don't ask me; it's not my place to answer).

Not sure if you’re referring to me, but I’ll repeat it anyway - I was told that early briefings to partners said the target was 3-6 hours of battery life. So better than V1, but not to V2 levels. Basically, the Lite.

Foundry claims don't combine perf improvement and power improvement together.
It's perf improvement for the same power. Or, it's power improvement for the same frequency. Not both at the same time.
(also, guess that means edn.com goes on my ignore list then due to writing quality?)

So I know someone whose name should not be mentioned here posted on their blog about a new Super Monkey Ball game coming to the next gen system.

What if the new joycons, or whatever they are called, are designed similar to the GameCube controller. So there are notches on one of the analog sticks. Seems far-fetched but the GameCube controller feels godtier for the original games so it would be neat if they were designing a new Super Monkey Ball game around the new joycons so the game feels better.

I mean if Nintendo caught on they’d notice the amount of joycon gamecube controllers that are on the market and try to capitalize on that. The ergonomics with that controller are just too good.

Depending on the size of the bezels, the area of the Switch 2 alone could end up being much bigger than the Switch 1.

If the 7.91" screen is real, Switch 2 with bezels the same size as Switch V1 would be really big. I believe it would be something like 24.69 cm diagonal.
So, or the screen is 7" like the OLED, or it's 7.91" with bezels that are extremely small, or that thing really is huge. The last two would both make me equally surprised tbh.

Wii U is a fair bit bigger and a bit heavier than the OLED, but it also was never likely considered the same as a handheld.

It's funny to me that I've never even remotely felt like the gamepad was heavier than my switch v1 like that. My longest sessions playing on my wii u were like 5 hours straight (splatoon and mario kart), and at the end my hands would be perfectly fine. When I played on my switch for the first time I was absolutely sure (lol) that it was heavier than the gamepad to the point where it was quite uncomfortable and even painful. With the joy-cons I can't even play for an hour. Ergonomics > weight.

It's funny to me that I've never even remotely felt like the gamepad was heavier than my switch v1 like that. My longest sessions playing on my wii u were like 5 hours straight (splatoon and mario kart), and at the end my hands would be perfectly fine. When I played on my switch for the first time I was absolutely sure (lol) that it was heavier than the gamepad to the point where it was quite uncomfortable and even painful. With the joy-cons I can't even play for an hour. Ergonomics > weight.
what you described is weight distribution
if Switch and WiiU has the same weight, WiiU pad will feel lighter just by the fact that its bigger

It's so weird not having this thread pinned anymore

if Switch and WiiU has the same weight, WiiU pad will feel lighter just by the fact that its bigger

They don't. The gamepad is 23% heavier.

But yeah, weight distribution is another factor to consider (when talking about the feeling of the weight; the pain is ergonomics for sure)

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom