• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Like, before it was reported, was anyone expecting the Switch 2 to have a much bigger screen than the original Switch.

Depending on the size of the bezels, the area of the Switch 2 alone could end up being much bigger than the Switch 1.

It could end up not being that huge, but leave the door open for a thiccccc boy.
Well I doubt they'll make a mistake with the bezels like they did with the Wii U, plus they'd probably want to continue the sleek design the Switch had, at least in comparison to the Steam Deck.

“Nintendo won’t make a system massively larger than the Switch 1” just feels like one of these assumptions that is held onto way too strongly. The Steam Deck isn’t popular, but I don’t know if the weight is the reason.
You're not wrong. I don't know what Nintendo will do and perhaps they looked at ROG Ally/SteamDeck devices size and weight class and thought that these were good, and accepted by consumers enough, targets for their next generation device. As you said, current rumors already say the device has a bigger screen and, therefore, is bigger than Switch. Anything can happen, really.
Quite frankly, Samsung's nodes are such stinkers that I have close to 0 faith in them improving it enough to be usable over 4N.
Another point of view is that Nintendo and Nvidia get favourable enough terms that offset the choice of Samsung in exchange of TSMC.

Rumors do say that the contract between Nvidia and Samsung is very favorable to Nvidia, as they only pay for good dies/chips. And perhaps T239 isn't even big enough on 8nm, as we don't know the size of redundancy and compute vision structures of Orin/T234.

As I said, a deal between Nintendo and Samsung Group for exclusive supplier rights of Switch 2 components in exchange for cheaper prices isn't outside of realm of possibility.

I'm just trying to say 8N/nm is a very possibility, just like 4N/N4

Well, I have seen the homebrew community do it, I figured Nintendo could do it even better and make it safer. It's clearly useful because people are going out there way to hack and mod their switch's to get more juice out of it. You also wouldn't need to plug in a power plug for it to run, you just plug in an external source if you want to play for longer than 1 to 2 hours you would get at the higher settings on battery, like when I plug in my laptop. In my head a game like Hyrule warriors would of had a toggle in the menu settings to allow for the higher profile that we would toggle to then allow for the better performance in handheld. It's also not just about getting to acceptable performance, it's also useful for making a game that runs at locked 30 fps now run at an unlocked 40-60fps. Ultimately, if it's hard to implement properly I definitely don't expect them to do it all, it's just a request if it's something that doesn't take much to implement. The Switch is literally designed to be able to switch profile's quickly and then run, and if they have to design the higher power profile for handheld in a way that disables docked mode once you toggle it then so be it, let me get me get more out of my handheld. Devs and consumers don't have to use this function, it's just an option.
It's always important to remember that the homebrew community operates under a very different set of constraints as Nintendo. The amount of acceptable jank is simply much higher, and there's much less need to consider how the incentives of having certain options affect the overall platform.

It just makes intuitive sense. Nintendo consoles are designed to sell to kids and their parents. A bulky console that a child can't easily hold wouldn't be as marketable. Not to mention that a larger device means less can be shipped in a given space, and when you're going to be selling a hundred million of them, how many consoles can fit in a box or on a truck is a real concern.

Switch already crossed this threshold in a lot of ways though. Remember the whole "Nintendo will NEVER EVER EVER make a portable that can't fit into a kid's pocket" ... welp, Switch already basically said "nope" to that.

Kids carry around portable devices like this anyway:

71txjcvQdJL._AC_SX679_.jpg

This is far bigger than a full size Switch and no one would bat an eye lash seeing a 6 or 7 year old with one of these. I think there absolutely is some leeway in Nintendo making the Switch 2 a bit bigger than the current model if they want to.

It's already really not pocketable (lets give the whole "yeah but just remove the Joycons every time you put it in your pocket!" thing a rest because no one does that) as is, so a few extra mm in width and height and depth is not going to really change people's view on the product IMO. They can always make a smaller model later too.

I don't think they'll make something Steam Deck in size, but I wouldn't fall out of my seat if Switch 2 is noticably bigger than the Switch 1 either.

Genuinely like what?
I’m not telling you but others can see it, but rest assured it has nothing to do with your take.😉🤭

This says otherwise.

"One group expected 8SMs, and another expected 4SMs and we got 12SMs. Both were wrong" - oldpuck.
That’s one example, but OldPuck forgot the group that was vouching for 4SMs (like Thraktor). There was a few members going for 8-10 SMs (like Alovon). Then there were posts a few of them for 6SMs too as a range.

There are dozens of us, dozens!

I’m not telling you but others can see it, but rest assured it has nothing to do with your take.😉🤭

That’s one example, but OldPuck forgot the group that was vouching for 4SMs (like Thraktor). There was a few members going for 8-10 SMs (like Alovon). Then there were posts a few of them for 6SMs too as a range.

There are dozens of us, dozens!

Yes, people generally dislike me because they feel I can’t read the room, but I can, the room (in gaming and sports where I’m most disliked) is sometimes just dominated way too much by group think that is incomprehensible outside of the very dedicated communities.

No real person thought the Heat were going to trade Tyler Herro for a great player (outside of overly passionate basketball circles) and no one thought the Switch 2 was a lock for 2023 (outside of hardcore Nintendo circles).

People just get too excited to the point of being a little weird and then get mad at me.

The size of the sys
Switch already crossed this threshold in a lot of ways though. Remember the whole "Nintendo will NEVER EVER EVER make a portable that can't fit into a kid's pocket" ... welp, Switch already basically said "nope" to that.

Kids carry around portable devices like this anyway:

71txjcvQdJL._AC_SX679_.jpg

This is far bigger than a full size Switch and no one would bat an eye lash seeing a 6 or 7 year old with one of these. I think there absolutely is some leeway in Nintendo making the Switch 2 a bit bigger than the current model if they want to.

It's already really not pocketable (lets give the whole "yeah but just remove the Joycons every time you put it in your pocket!" thing a rest because no one does that) as is, so a few extra mm in width and height and depth is not going to really change people's view on the product IMO. They can always make a smaller model later too.
I don't think this tablet isn't a fair comparison. Put some joy-cons on the side of this thing, it wouldn't be comfortable and it would be bulky as hell. You just don't use the Switch like a kid does a tablet. It's either flat on it's back or has a kickstand put up by their parent and then they watch Cocomelon in a trance or they poke at some crappy mobile game. The Switch is console aimed at all ages so Nintendo won't want parents to have to prop the thing up, take the controllers off, and put it into table top mode for a kid to play. Nintendo know parents just want to hand the kid a Switch and let them play with as little hassle as possible. Plus, this is a crazy generalization. I've seen plenty of kids using tablets out in public, but I've seen way more using their parents phones than tablets - because phones are smaller and more portable. This is all anecdotal anyways so it doesn't really matter.

Some other important aspects of the system's size are can it easily be scaled down later for a Lite version, and will the rails on the system be able to keep it connected to the joycons? If they make a giant, thicc asf handheld a Lite version will feel less like a Lite and more like a regular system. And if they swap out the parts for smaller parts will something in the development pipeline need to change for compatibility? And then back to the joycons themselves. Will the rails actually be able to hold the thing up? I know I've seen some early Switch units with well-worn rails where the joycons don't hold the system up anymore. Hell my 4 month old OLED Switch already can jiggle a little bit in handheld mode. Add more weight to the thing and the rails are gonna deteriorate faster.

You're not wrong. I don't know what Nintendo will do and perhaps they looked at ROG Ally/SteamDeck devices size and weight class and thought that these were good, and accepted by consumers enough, targets for their next generation device. As you said, current rumors already say the device has a bigger screen and, therefore, is bigger than Switch. Anything can happen, really.

Another point of view is that Nintendo and Nvidia get favourable enough terms that offset the choice of Samsung in exchange of TSMC.

Rumors do say that the contract between Nvidia and Samsung is very favorable to Nvidia, as they only pay for good dies/chips. And perhaps T239 isn't even big enough on 8nm, as we don't know the size of redundancy and compute vision structures of Orin/T234.

As I said, a deal between Nintendo and Samsung Group for exclusive supplier rights of Switch 2 components in exchange for cheaper prices isn't outside of realm of possibility.

I'm just trying to say 8N/nm is a very possibility, just like 4N/N4

Dark doom days ahead if you're right. So you better not be.

if it's that big it might as well be tabletop only like that toddler tablet

comes with a pro controller and a case for both

bonus points for the device just, y'know, having an HDMI port

Like, before it was reported, was anyone expecting the Switch 2 to have a much bigger screen than the original Switch.

Depending on the size of the bezels, the area of the Switch 2 alone could end up being much bigger than the Switch 1.

It could end up not being that huge, but leave the door open for a thiccccc boy.
i don't remember anyone entertaining this before it became a thing. 1080p became a distinct possibility (especially for a device launching 2024) but not the larger screen part.

The size of the sys

I don't think this tablet isn't a fair comparison. Put some joy-cons on the side of this thing, it wouldn't be comfortable and it would be bulky as hell. You just don't use the Switch like a kid does a tablet. It's either flat on it's back or has a kickstand put up by their parent and then they watch Cocomelon in a trance or they poke at some crappy mobile game. The Switch is console aimed at all ages so Nintendo won't want parents to have to prop the thing up, take the controllers off, and put it into table top mode for a kid to play. Nintendo know parents just want to hand the kid a Switch and let them play with as little hassle as possible. Plus, this is a crazy generalization. I've seen plenty of kids using tablets out in public, but I've seen way more using their parents phones than tablets - because phones are smaller and more portable. This is all anecdotal anyways so it doesn't really matter.

Some other important aspects of the system's size are can it easily be scaled down later for a Lite version, and will the rails on the system be able to keep it connected to the joycons? If they make a giant, thicc asf handheld a Lite version will feel less like a Lite and more like a regular system. And if they swap out the parts for smaller parts will something in the development pipeline need to change for compatibility? And then back to the joycons themselves. Will the rails actually be able to hold the thing up? I know I've seen some early Switch units with well-worn rails where the joycons don't hold the system up anymore. Hell my 4 month old OLED Switch already can jiggle a little bit in handheld m ode. Add more weight to the thing and the rails are gonna deteriorate faster.

I don't really see how adding a little size to the Switch changes it's functionality with kids at all. And I mean the Switch is literally meant to function in the way you described, it's designed to be put on a table and the Joycons removed ... that's not some niche use case for the machine, it's the entire design philosophy of the system lol.

The main point was the pocket-ability aspect, but Nintendo already threw that into the gutter from day 1, the existing full size Switch is not a pocketable device really at all unlike the GBA, DS, 3DS, even a PSP or Vita, etc. You need a large jacket pocket or a bag/case if you're taking it out of the house or you just have to hold it in your hand like (well) a tablet.

Making the Switch 2 for example 5mm thicker could probably dramatically increase the battery size they could put in there. I'd rather have a somewhat thicker device that has 2x the battery or 25% greater performance or whatever.

What's the biggest thing people complain about with the current Switch anyway ... the damn Joycons are too thin, so you could make those thicker too and that will push people to have to buy the new Joycons too instead of using their old ones, so that's a $$$ win for Nintendo.

Last edited:
if it's that big it might as well be tabletop only like that toddler tablet

comes with a pro controller and a case for both

bonus points for the device just, y'know, having an HDMI port
The day that a hybrid or handheld PC gets a HDMI port may as well be the day that Hell freezes over, George RR Martin releases a new book and the US gets a president that everyone likes. I don't get why they seem to adverse to it, but they just seem to prefer USB-C and hooking it up to a dock.

Tbh, I kinda get it.

larger screen = larger device = more chance of 8nm being possible sounds reasonable but the 1080p part leads more credence to it being on the smaller node. presumably it would still be 720p if the device was not as efficient as it's quite a big difference.

if its bigger/less portable I will probably just use it docked more honestly but I feel like that will be a huge blow on one of the biggest reasons to buy the switch which is the easy and smooth portability

if its bigger/less portable I will probably just use it docked more honestly but I feel like that will be a huge blow on one of the biggest reasons to buy the switch which is the easy and smooth portability
There is a good way of solving this, and it's probably the one thing that I'm appalled isn't done more.

Give a carrying case with the console. Seriously, the carrying case with the Steam Deck is genuinely so excellent. Sure it's not the most "pocket-portable" thing in the world, but it's still good enough to shove into a backpack with it's charger and take on the go. Seriously, it's brilliant. Probably won't be done with the Switch 2, but still I'll complain about it if that's the case. I don't even need a good one, just a carrying case would make me happy.

I was reading some impressions from people who do overclock their Switch, apparently at docked clocks, the system can run for about 2 hours (30 minutes chews up 25% of the battery), playing something like DOOM and only gets a tiny bit warmer than otherwise.

I mean really if you let the system even draw battery from the Joycons (what's even the point of having extra battery in the Joycon if the main unit is kaput), you probably could push that battery life back up close to 3 hours.

Nintendo shouldn't be so conservative with the next Switch. Sure when they were launching Switch 1 the idea of a portable console was largely untested but now it's common and you have many larger knock offs like the Steam Deck.

At least let the Switch 2 use the battery from the Joycons as an option, it's just a waste to have two extra batteries basically attached to the system that could give the main system some extra juice in a performance mode. Letting the Joycons function as like an extra battery pack for the Switch 2 is an easy thing to do.

The Steam Deck has for example a 5313 MaH battery, which is sizably bigger than the Switch's 4300 MaH battery, but every full size Switch actually is just sitting there with an extra 1050 MaH on the Joycons (525 MaH each). Let the Switch 2 have like a 4800 MaH main battery but put 725 MaH batteries in the Joycons this time and let the base unit draw power from there in certain cases ... you're going to have a system that has a larger battery pool than a Steam Deck does without even being the size of a tank.

Last edited:
Man cant wait for another rtu video to tell me why we should be disappointed for switch 2 because of fake rumors

It sounds like he's not that dissapointed in the vid. He's goes into why he's overall fine with having a digital only switch 2 so long as Nintnendo improves their return policy and e-shop in general.

Christmas marketing usually starts across the board before the end of August and only peaks between late November to early December, Halloween wouldn't be something for Nintendo to hold out for either since outside of the UK and Ireland and North America, it's not much a thing
Nintendo made a point of releasing Luigi’s Mansion 3 and the Bayonetta sequels in the Halloween/Souls/Day Of The Dead season. Even Metroid Dread had an October release with the OLED Model, if we considered it to be a sci-fi horror game, then Super Mario Odyssey has a Day Of The Dead-inspired theme in part of the game - that, too, had a release in the same window. So, while Halloween releases don’t appear to be as obvious as Christmas, the precedents are there. I still have October at the earliest, and November the most probable.

I'm not gaslighting the world, you're making that up.

That's actually the best thing that came of this rumour btw. Gauging the general reactions to the pricing was a very interesting thing to learn about. People seem to be happy with the idea of the price jump, as long as it results in a generally better product with stronger specs.
I suspected at the time that the OLED Model launching at $349, and its subsequent success was setting fans up for the idea of $399. But I also put it to this board that Nintendo fans paid this much in the past for full access to their suite ($249 for Wii, $150 for DS). Even more for the Wii U and 3DS. So, with Integrated Hardware-Software platforms, we could now begin to think about what “full access” looks like, the price of entry, and what performance one might expect. Rather than two platforms where the portable is several generations behind, and the home console having uncertain support from their partners, we can have a high performance system with better support and the capacity to play wherever and however you want. Before the Wii and DS, full access was $299 ($199 for GameCube, $100 for GBA). There appears to be a constant, which has been $50-100 less than PS/XBox ($199 GameCube VS $299 PS2, $249 Wii VS $299 X360, $299 Wii U VS $399 PS4, $299 Switch VS $399 PS5(DE)). $399 would continue that pattern, with a new Lite model at $249.

Last edited:

But do you own a Steam deck to know how large it and heavy it is?

But do you own a Steam deck to know how large it and heavy it is?
I do and I can actually comment about this.

The Steam Deck is... heavy. Very heavy actually, it's not something you can hold above your head when playing on a bed. That being said, it's so much more comfortable to use than the Switch thanks to the additional weight and the space used for ergonomics such as the button placement, sticks, back buttons and the general feel of the device. To compare the two, while I get the preference towards the Switch, I really love how the Steam Deck feels and would rather use it over the Switch in most situations if they were identical in every other way except for weight and shell-design.

Well, I have seen the homebrew community do it, I figured Nintendo could do it even better and make it safer.
I totally get it. It’s just that the advantage on the Switch is that the games target the base profile, and those that miss get helped by an overclock. The overclock does it’s magic because it comes after the devs have targeted lower performance

If you build it in day one, it just becomes the new target. Dev times and budgets don’t change, so just as many games miss the new target.

The only way to help devs hit the target consistently is to make a system cheap to develop for. Some of that is power, but a lot of it is simplicity. Adding a third performance profile to tune for increases dev cost, and makes it more likely studios will have to cut corners to ship.

I do and I can actually comment about this.

The Steam Deck is... heavy. Very heavy actually, it's not something you can hold above your head when playing on a bed. That being said, it's so much more comfortable to use than the Switch thanks to the additional weight and the space used for ergonomics such as the button placement, sticks, back buttons and the general feel of the device. To compare the two, while I get the preference towards the Switch, I really love how the Steam Deck feels and would rather use it over the Switch in most situations if they were identical in every other way except for weight and shell-design.
The Steam Deck makes my hands tired. The Switch makes my hands cramp.

Has anyone talked about if cooling tech has advanced at all since 2017? Wasn’t there an article shared not long ago of some micro-fan cooling system? Would that be viable for Switch 2, or any other newer tech that would keep S2 sleeker/cooler/quieter?

The Steam Deck makes my hands tired. The Switch makes my hands cramp.
I agree with this complaint, but I still stand by my point.

If the Switch gets bigger without addressing the ergonomics problem, I feel like we're just going to get the worst of both worlds. Sadly, I don't see how you can design the joycons to feel more comfortable when used on the system but still work as separate controllers.

The Steam Deck to Switch/Switch 2 comparisons are pointless. Steam Deck is a completely Niche device for an extremely niche market. Most PC gamers are not going to give up their PCs for a Steam Deck. Switch 2 could easily be a big device and sell more in a few months then Steam Deck will sell in most of its lifetime.

Nintendo is going to create a device that fits what the technology demands. Lets not forget Nintendo actively pursued the idea of the Wii U being entirely inside of the Gamepad but it was not feasible at that point and the Gamepad was mocked for its fisher price ness.

Has anyone talked about if cooling tech has advanced at all since 2017? Wasn’t there an article shared not long ago of some micro-fan cooling system? Would that be viable for Switch 2, or any other newer tech that would keep S2 sleeker/cooler/quieter?
The availability of copper and the physics of heat distribution have not changed considerably, for better or worse. There are some newer technologies Nintendo could feasibly use in a mass produced product, like a vapour chamber instead of, or alongside, a heat pipe, but those drive up costs, and pennies matter in quantities of a million. When we're looking at heat distribution of worst-case-scenario, less than 20W, expending any additional effort or expense on cooling beyond what they had in 2017 (which let's be clear, was really good in 2017) would be wasted, in my opinion. Good heat sinks from ten years ago are still good today, because 10W yesteryear is 10W today.

AirJet technology is pretty experimental and, compared to a standard blower style fan, extremely expensive per unit. It will be cool in higher end laptops, but part of the design philosophy of Nintendo Switch is the economies of scale provided by using smartphone components and suppliers, and things need to come "down the chain" first. Nintendo isn't going to leapfrog the industry of SOC cooling in one go before even a single major laptop brand tries it in an ultrabook.

Portable gaming devices have continued to get bigger over time, and Nintendo game consoles are no exception. With bigger screens come bigger game consoles.
In the case of the 3DS and Switch, the larger screen models came out and sold much better than the regular models.
So it's a safe bet that the Switch 2 will have a larger screen than the Switch OLED.
This makes it easier to distinguish from the Switch 1 and makes it look better. It's also a countermeasure against the slow progress of battery technology.
A larger screen is also better for growing children's eyesight and for gamers with presbyopia.
Many games on the Switch are designed for TVs and have text that is too small for handhelds, so the larger screen size is a good thing.

Is expecting a device a bit smaller than the Ally unrealistic? I felt like the Ally was surprisingly large in person. In videos it never seemed that big.
I would keep my expectations in check as of what happened last with Switch (people thinking it was Tegra X2 on 16nm) and Wii U.

I firmly believe Drake is on 8nm and I would be really happy if it’s revealed in the future to be on 4N.
I firmly believe that the NG will have better graphics than the Switch. That way it is impossible for me to be disappointed muhahanahahshajanahaha. Check mate chip fabricators.

Koizumi designed the Switch. Wii was designed by Miyamoto and Takeda. Wii U was designed by NIRD and NTD. The former an offshoot from Takeda's team.
Yoshiaki Kozuimi was the Nintendo Switch hardware producer, same as Shigeru Miyamoto that was the hardware producer of N64, Game Cube e Wii
All this time I was led to believe Iwata designed the Wii and DS.

the interesting thing about a big bastard switch is that it would have little impact on its use in north america, which has limited public transit and a dearth of third places. in japan, meanwhile, it'd be devastating

I think it's no coincidence that support and defense of a huge switch is so prevalent on an english-speaking forum

the interesting thing about a big bastard switch is that it would have little impact on its use in north america, which has limited public transit and a dearth of third places. in japan, meanwhile, it'd be devastating

I think it's no coincidence that support and defense of a huge switch is so prevalent on an english-speaking forum
The Switch is already much larger than previous Nintendo handheld game consoles, and that size change, coupled with the ubiquity of smartphones, has made the Switch much less common on Japanese public transportation than the DS and 3DS. Despite this, Switch has sold 30 million units in Japan, and the Switch OLED is currently the best-selling Switch model in Japan.
So there's no reason why the Switch 2 can't be even bigger.

shit, is that just a guess, anecdotal, or assumed?

in any case I'd agree that even the original switch is a big let down to its concept
When I traveled to Japan a long time ago, I saw many DS users on the streets and public transportation, but on my recent trip to Japan, most of them were sitting on the subway, looking at their smartphones, and walking down the street.

The Switch is already much larger than previous Nintendo handheld game consoles, and that size change, coupled with the ubiquity of smartphones, has made the Switch much less common on Japanese public transportation than the DS and 3DS. Despite this, Switch has sold 30 million units in Japan, and the Switch OLED is currently the best-selling Switch model in Japan.
So there's no reason why the Switch 2 can't be even bigger.
Give me a 10" Switch 2.

When I traveled to Japan a long time ago, I saw many DS users on the streets and public transportation, but on my recent trip to Japan, most of them were sitting on the subway, looking at their smartphones, and walking down the street.
very discouraging. appreciate the first-hand account though, thanks

I'll make a Nate hotline and charge $1 a minute to read random excerpts from old game magazines.
« The Nokia N-Gage : Nintendo should be really worried and here’s why » -Totally not The Official Nokia Magazine
« Why the Gizmondo will tear Nintendo appart » -Mafia Magazine

Considering how outdated 8nm is at this point, it seems extremely unlikely that the Switch 2 chips will be made at 8nm.
TSMC mass-produced 20nm chips around 2014 and 8nm chips around 2018.
So in 2024, 8nm chips will be
much more outdated than the 20nm chips that went into switches in 2017.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom