• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

No wireless VR, sad.

tema VR are in shambles

ryan-gosling.gif

This isn't particularly relevant to that. Wireless VR would work over 5Ghz, after all, and we hardly know the full repertoire of radio bands it uses.

Buying external memory in the beginning of a system is a pain in the ass, mostly because how expensive those bad boy are.

The Switch, PS5 and especially the Xbox series x faced those issues because buying storage is stupidly expensive, for example 1 Terabyte of storage for the Xbox cost about 180+ dollars.
I hope we're able to buy external HDDs to hook into Switch 2 but doubt we'll get that.

I have 1 TB microcard in there right now, more than half filled up. 115 games at least.

12/256GB was always the best case scenario in my opinion so this is awesome. I just hope it means the price comes in under $400.

We were never going to get every AAA game, but the Switch has received some amazing ports despite having half the RAM of the PS4. I think the Switch 2 will manage fine with 75% of a PS5.
Huh? It has more memory than Series S, I'd be surprised if we DIDN'T see the vast majority of third party support for several years.

To add some context, the RAM part is this one from Micron, which is a 6GB 7500MT/s 64-bit part. They list it as LPDDR5, but 7500MT/s is a LPDDR5X speed, so that may be just how they list things. With a 128-bit bus, two of these parts would give us 12GB of RAM operating at a peak of 120GB/s.

The UFS is a Kioxia part labelled THGJFGT1E45BAILHW0. They don't have a specific page for it, but both Mouser and Jak Electronics list it as a 256GB UFS 3.1 part. Kioxia's website lists a THGJFGT1E45BAIP as a 256GB UFS 3.1, so it may be a revised version of that part.

In both cases, there's a good chance that Nintendo will be sourcing from multiple suppliers, but they'd all match these specs.

Edit: Peak read speeds for UFS 3.1 should be close to 2GB/s, although with both game cards and external storage almost certainly lower than that, I don't know if games could quite use it. Still, it definitely shouldn't be a bottleneck.

Thank you for these details. So would you go as far as to say that this is hard confirmation of LPDDR5X? Are we getting 134GB/s, or does 7500MT/s translate to something lower?

If this thing costs more than $400 while having less RAM than the Steam Deck I'm going to be very disappointed.

If it's LPDDR5X it will beat even the $549-649 Steam Deck OLED on RAM bandwidth, and the lower ram amount may be compensated for with a leaner OS and other console efficiencies.

Wikipedia seems to say it's up to 2900Mb/s. Not that I expect Nintendo to max it out.

I like to use the 1GB/s number because that's what third party devs asked from Sony and MS, so that's my benchmark

If they use the 880MB/s microSD Express for expandable storage, the games will need to be built with that in mind. Given that, how much battery could they save by paring the UFS 3.1 speed back to 880MB/s?

I don’t understand the need for more than 12 GBs, that concern is weird when the bandwidth doesn’t seem like the console needs much more than 12.

There's definitely not a need - if they use about 2GB for the OS then we get 10GB for games, which is a nice, solid 25% over the Series S. But I was thinking how 16GB would let them go buck wild with pretty much whatever OS features they liked. But if the choice was between 16GB of LPDDR5 and 12GB of LPDDR5X, the latter is absolutely better.

This thread is such a nice reprieve from the crappy industry news seemingly everywhere else. Thanks for all the information and fun discussion everyone! 😄

If you think the 3080 is “deadweight” then don’t buy a console. You’re in a completely different market. Like, even for a PC market the 3080 is still a high end cars. You’re talking about a handheld.
yeah you're right I'm normally good at compartmentalizing PC vs home console vs handheld and I let the streams cross after reading the 12 GB news. That's on me.

Paging @mjayer

Do you remember if the "tablet" part of your Switch 2 mockups based on shipment data is 206mm wide? Or, what width was it?

Wanted to revisit the dimensions discussion a bit and see if anything had changed here.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Forgot to add that if there are indeed two tandem fans, two reasons come to mind: 1) Nintendo is going to unleash the dock mode, or 2) SEC 8nm 😈
Imagine a reality in which Nintendo uses a 4 TSMC, with a dock that exceeds our expectations, by including two fans.

We might actually be living in the best possible reality.

sakuragi-hanamichi.gif

Monolith is going to make a Xenoblade-size game, and when you beat it then they're going to reveal its just the prologue of the game.
People aren't ready for the amount of particle and action effects Monolith is about to shove onto the screen

And grass

Now, we already know about the display, RAM, and storage.
What more info do we need?
Clock speed! That would give us a good estimate on node process (SEC8N vs TSMC 4N) - although with dimensions being smaller than Steam Deck, I am feeling TSMC 4N right now.

Forgot to add that if there are indeed two tandem fans, two reasons come to mind: 1) Nintendo is going to unleash the dock mode, or 2) SEC 8nm 😈
This is all bad news to my preconceptions, but if you'd entertain me, do we currently have information indicating two different models of fan are going into producing the new system?

If I might cope, maybe we see a larger internal fan, rather than two separate ones?

I could see HOW a fan in the dock would would, theoretically, but it means all sorts of problems in my mind. No compatibility with Dock with LAN Port, limited or no third party Dock possibilities. Just a bunch of stuff I don't want to see.

Why WOULDN'T they just use one fan that ramps up like they have for years?

This was made by @mjayer based on last time we found dimensions. Curious if anything has changed (should be 206mm wide for tablet part alone, IDK if anything would change here)
I plugged it into my design software and the dimensions still line up when setting the total length of the Switch 2 mockup to 286 mm (so 206 for the tablet and 40 for each joy con).

I plugged it into my design software and the dimensions still line up when setting the total length to 286 mm (so 206 for the tablet and 40 for each joy con).

Thanks for confirming, this was bugging me for a bit.

@ERezaSwitch based on this I think that means we found those dimensions previously, so HGU1100 is likely the same as HGU1000 (or at least same size if they're different devices or SKUs for some reason).

I really, really hope there aren't multiple hardware SKUs with different storage or a different finish at launch. I know I'll want the "best" one and the idea of it being sold out sickens me.

Based on the findings so far though, to me it seems like 12GB/256GB is standard for the line, and 1000/1100 are not necessarily different models.

Wow

Shoutout to LiC and the others on the findings

We eating today

Wondering if the fact that all those parts are ready for assembly make more sense for a 2024 release hmmmm

I really, really hope there aren't multiple hardware SKUs with different storage or a different finish at launch. I know I'll want the "best" one and the idea of it being sold out sickens me.

Based on the findings so far though, to me it seems like 12GB/256GB is standard for the line, and 1000/1100 are not necessarily different models.
Agree, there's nothing here to suggest we're looking at two different SKUs.

It's possible HGU1100 are just HGU1000/1001/1010, relabeled. Maybe HGU1000/1001/1010 was for prototype Switch 2's (during a period where we saw CMB-CPU revisions going up to X8)

I personally feel like the 2 SKU is probably an all digital one and the other is the normal physical one.

Personally having two different SKU seems extremely unlikely in my personal opinion.

Edit: Didn’t @NateDrake mention an digital only SKU for the Switch 2

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom