• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Same. I've used the PS5 and Xbox social features a total of 2 times and just to share dumb memes which I could've just as easily shared via Telegram to my friend.
And I've seen more and more people pivot towards not using the built in console's social features and instead using discord or whatever.

There's also other stuff like clubs and whatnot on Xbox and PS and I literally have never used those and don't even know what they're even for. I guess themes or changing the background image would be cool but that's such a non-issue for me.
The PS5 has basically zero customization and folders compared to the PS4 and I still got rid of my PS4 for a PS5 and don't even think about those things.
The only new thing that I think I want out of the Switch OS is some sort of telephony stuff. Really, that's it. For the occasion that I want to do a multiplayer game with people (really just Borderlands), the Xbox's built-in telephony is fantastic. Even just being able to stream bidirectional audio at the controller would be enough to let a game do it itself.

Nintendo already added some additional ventilation in the OLED dock, and even Erista Switch units rarely push the fan past 50%. I would imagine Mariko Switch units rarely push the fan past 30%. Even with my jailbroken launch Switch, I can clock the GPU at 921Mhz and CPU at 1725Mhz and the fan typically sits at 70%. This leads me to believe the cooling system for Switch is adequate for an SOC pulling up to 15watts.
Hey, can you put WINE on your Switch and try the Final Fantasy 15 demo? I would love to see the results.
I don't have time to compile the details, but, from the shipment listings:

The console has 12 GB RAM, from two 6 GB 7500 MT/s LPDDR5 (LPDDR5X? it's unclear) modules. The internal storage is 256 GB of UFS 3.1.

Thank you to several other people who have been sharing in the research on these listings to determine this.

Edit: I put this in hide tags without thinking because it's shipment stuff, but this is going to get out no matter what, so I might as well remove them.
Team 8 GBs is punching the air crying.

It's not solely because of the RAM it's the RAM, storage, and the fact that this thing won't be out until 2025. It's starting to become very reminiscent of when Nintendo thought the 3DS's sub-par specs would be enough for a $250 handheld in 2011.
I am getting flashbacks to "VRAM in 2020-2024: Why 10GB is enough" which is from 2020 and it's aged like milk. It's got GDDR6X it's fast as fuck boiii. I lived that life. my 3080 from 2020 was feeling dire by 2022. Deadweight in 2024. Turns out the speed that people thought would compensate ended up not. Yeah, it's not a directly related situation. But I got the same feeling of dread lol. I'm not even worried about Series X/PS5 ports. I'm sure it'll be fine there. it's the gen after that I think about. wonder if devs are gonna have to go out their way to miracle port their stuff for next gen which is probably like what 4 years away?

They're speculating about the chip, and a lot of that is data compiled from this thread. I know because I helped compile it for them. The shipment data is about the rest of the hardware, like the RAM and the screen.

And Drake has a better GPU, the primary driver of video game performance, and a better screen, of higher resolution. Whether or not the package overall is worth it to you is a personal decision, but I think it's hard to argue that you're getting less "stuff" in the box for the same price, just a different configuration of "stuff."
Yeah and different games, steam deck will not play any Drake games any times soon.

The time has finally come, it's actually real. Almost hard to grasp at this point, but we will have concrete info now. Good work and thanks to everyone who helped find this one out.
Damn, Monolith Soft with 12GB of RAM? The reveal cannot come soon enough.
Xenoblade X remastered!

I just want to take the time to thank everyone for their hard work with the research surrounding Switch 2. You all know who you are. It's very much appreciated by all of us. Thank you!

Nintendo's compression and file size standards will help shrink games like CoD down to be manageable I'm sure.
Considering the last one being on next gen (but it’s also on last gen), and being on console with Sophisticated decompression engines too, I doubt that lol

I am getting flashbacks to "VRAM in 2020-2024: Why 10GB is enough" which is from 2020 and it's aged like milk. It's got GDDR6X it's fast as fuck boiii. I lived that life. my 3080 from 2020 was feeling dire by 2022. Deadweight in 2024. Turns out the speed that people thought would compensate ended up not. Yeah, it's not a directly related situation. But I got the same feeling of dread lol. I'm not even worried about Series X/PS5 ports. I'm sure it'll be fine there. it's the gen after that I think about. wonder if devs are gonna have to go out their way to miracle port their stuff for next gen which is probably like what 4 years away?
I’m mostly curious if Switch 2 sales are good enough we might see more developers focusing on the Switch 2 first and NG console second.

I’m saying, since game development is exploding and the Switch has cultivated an audience who are willing to play anything.

A good example would be monster Hunter rise.

Why do you trust this so much? Where does this information come from so that everyone thinks it is true?

"The console has 12 GB RAM, from two 6 GB 7500 MT/s LPDDR5 (LPDDR5X? it's unclear) modules"

And if true, how would it affect if the speed is half that of Series S? Could this be a problem?

No wireless VR, sad.
tema VR are in shambles

ryan-gosling.gif

Nintendo already added some additional ventilation in the OLED dock, and even Erista Switch units rarely push the fan past 50%. I would imagine Mariko Switch units rarely push the fan past 30%. Even with my jailbroken launch Switch, I can clock the GPU at 921Mhz and CPU at 1725Mhz and the fan typically sits at 70%. This leads me to believe the cooling system for Switch is adequate for an SOC pulling up to 15watts.
On the RetroNX server back in in the day, I very vividly recall hearing that the Tegra X1 board used in the Switch 1.0 could only handle up to 15W safely. I'd imagine that it'd incur a small tick in BoM cost to revise the Switch 2's board to handle up to 20W safely, but have the actual system in question draw like 15W when docked.

The data posted earlier indicates there will be built in microphones and headphone jacks in the console or controller. It might mean there may be more social features and other things supported like voice chat. I doubt that we will get an OS that is a big upgrade (much to my personal dismay) but I doubt it will be quite as simple as the current Switch's OS.

Why do you trust this so much? Where does this information come from so that everyone thinks it is true?

"The console has 12 GB RAM, from two 6 GB 7500 MT/s LPDDR5 (LPDDR5X? it's unclear) modules"

And if true, how would it affect if the speed is half that of Series S? Could this be a problem?
You can find this info for yourself on the shipment data website. For free even, without subscription (although with subscription you'd have better search functionalities and have access to more info, like number of units in a shipment).

I hope you're not suggesting someone has the time to fake all this shipment data. What would be the point? The Nintendo shipment data we found is like less than 0.01% of the entire shipment data on that website.

The 360 had 512 MB of total RAM and I remember there being many social options on that console. That was like one of the defining aspects of my childhood.
I don't think the OS on Switch 2 needs to take up so much additional space to have some extra desirable features.

Or you could just accept that even though the Switch 2 will get more third party AAA games than the Switch got, it will still mainly be a Nintendo playing console, with third party AAA games more being a bonus rather than a given like it is for PS and Xbox.

The best thing the Switch 2 will do is to make the big Nintendo games look better than ever, and not that Starfield will come out on Switch 2 any time soon.

Yeah, we’re getting a reveal soon. This thing is gonna hit the conveyor belt very soon. How old are these customs data usually? 1-2 months?

Like a fellow member suggested, Nintendo speaking of the successor now could also bw because theyre gonna mass produce it very soon

This is still a portable device, so "does it allow easy ports from a home console released maybe 4 years later?" is an absurdly high bar to clear. Besides, there'll likely be a long cross-gen period for that generation anyway.

If we compare to contemporary consoles, it's in a much better position than Switch was.

Switch launched with 32GB of storage when home consoles had 500GB, which was just 6.4% as much. Switch 2 will have 256GB when home consoles have between 512GB and 1TB, which is 25-50% as much. Switch has 4GB of RAM compared to 8GB (50%), while Switch 2 has 12GB compared to 10GB-16GB (75%-120%). Although we don't have clock speeds, both CPU and GPU should be closer, too, particularly GPU when comparing to Series S.

I can't remember the last time they were right about something Nintendo related.
Mostly because I presume the mindset of ,,because Nintendo’’ is still running rampant, but it has the positive of people expectation being low, when the Switch 2 is reveal, most people will think of it has a huge upgrade.

The only new thing that I think I want out of the Switch OS is some sort of telephony stuff. Really, that's it. For the occasion that I want to do a multiplayer game with people (really just Borderlands), the Xbox's built-in telephony is fantastic. Even just being able to stream bidirectional audio at the controller would be enough to let a game do it itself.
👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿
hopefully we get a Switch 2 Pro this time
The OLED is somewhat of a pro and it didn't get a ram increase and IIRC the PS4 didn't get a ram increase either.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Team 8: 😢😱😭😡🤬🤜🤜🤜

So to clarify, the reason I was asking about the ARAM specifically is because 1) the ARAM had a ton of drawbacks and 2) it was the only actual component that wasn't just overclocked or tinkered with, but replaced with a completely different component. In addition to being slow, the ARAM also didn't have access to the GPU or CPU!

The GDDR3 in the wii is the closest thing to actual next gen tech that Wii had at the time. So what I'm wondering is, how much of an actual impact did removing 16 MB of slow RAM, with 64 MB of significantly faster RAM, as well as RAM that can actually be utilized by the GPU/CPU in a way that the ARAM of the GC never did, have on the overall system.

I've seen reports over the years where everyone seemed to agree wii was at best 2X the power of the GC. And for the most part, I can totally believe that. But I'm primarily curious about this because a game like Super Mario Galaxy seems like a bigger jump than just 2X, at least compared to Sunshine. To be clear, I don't mean anywhere close to 360/PS3, but...better than just two GCs duct taped together (maybe...three GCs duct taped together?). And ALSO to be clear, I understand SMG had some differentiation in its game design, like having smaller, focused levels, that allowed it to perform some more impressive graphics features than Sunshine. But still, even taking that into account, some portions are genuinely very impressive relative to the hardware. Or maybe I'm giving SMG too much credit here...
I don’t really think it mattered much considering that the point of the ARAM was for audio and for the auxiliary I/O devices. There were times where instructions can be dumped into the ARAM only temporarily to free of space for whatever was needed, but the focus was really for audio and something like the GBA player.

It didn’t really do much else. Or had much other use.

I don't know. Will the gen after PS5/Xbox Series X really have that much of a power increase? Especially with how fucked the industry is as a whole with ludicrous budgets and mass layoffs/closures, I'm not sure if it is even worth pushing power, graphics, and the like that much further.

So people are in agreement that it'll be 120 GB/s? If so, that's almost 5X the bandwidth of the Switch. The largest increase a Nintendo system has had since the Wii U. 136 GB/s would have been sweet but I myself was expecting 102 GB/s at the very most so this is great news.

This thing's gonna be a beast.

I have to say that finding the exact string for the UFS/RAM shipments can only be done by good detectives lol ;)
Unless I'm mistaken (LiC/Thraktor can correct me if I'm wrong) - those was found looking through most recent NL-AMxx data, probably.

Something I used to do months ago but kind of stopped doing whenever we have new Vietnamese data come in. Lately, I have mostly only looked at HGUxxxx stuff, as well as 3619 50xx (3619 is Meiko code for Nintendo).

Guess I should start checking out NL-AMxx entries again for the upcoming months, lol. Who knows, even more is revealed.

So if I'm reading right, the Series X and PS5 both have 16GB but, due to OS stuff the SX only has 13.5GB usable and PS5 has an estimated 12.5GB usable. So if Nintendo continues keeping the OS really light, the RAM gap between 2witch and SX/PS5 might be a lot smaller than it looks.

Kickass.
16GB for now but PS6 and next-gen Xbox are coming sooner now that MS/Sony have both admitted their consoles flopped this gen. No doubt we’ll have more RAM in those which could be a problem for Switch 2 to keep up with.

Last edited:
This is still a portable device, so "does it allow easy ports from a home console released maybe 4 years later?" is an absurdly high bar to clear. Besides, there'll likely be a long cross-gen period for that generation anyway.

If we compare to contemporary consoles, it's in a much better position than Switch was.

Switch launched with 32GB of storage when home consoles had 500GB, which was just 6.4% as much. Switch 2 will have 256GB when home consoles have between 512GB and 1TB, which is 25-50% as much. Switch has 4GB of RAM compared to 8GB (50%), while Switch 2 has 12GB compared to 10GB-16GB (75%-120%). Although we don't have clock speeds, both CPU and GPU should be closer, too, particularly GPU when comparing to Series S.

The main issue I do have with this analysis is that it’s very unclear how long the Series S will be supported given the current Microsoft meltdown, lol

I don't know. Will the gen after PS5/Xbox Series X really have that much of a power increase? Especially with how fucked the industry is as a whole with ludicrous budgets and mass layoffs/closures, I'm not sure if it is even worth pushing power, graphics, and the like that much further.
Yeah i mean Sony is barely having any profit margins with the specs they release on current PS5, how would they stay affloat with a coming super hardware when their profit margins have collapsed even during the PS5 era?

Or you could just accept that even though the Switch 2 will get more third party AAA games than the Switch got, it will still mainly be a Nintendo playing console, with third party AAA games more being a bonus rather than a given like it is for PS and Xbox.

The best thing the Switch 2 will do is to make the big Nintendo games look better than ever, and not that Starfield will come out on Switch 2 any time soon.
even ignoring 3rd parties it makes me think of the concessions devs of 1st party games will have in the future. Examples like Princess Peach Showtime and Thousand Year Door. They're 900p. I wonder what devs would have needed for them to be 1080p.

Unless I'm mistaken (LiC/Thraktor can correct me if I'm wrong) - those was found looking through most recent NL-AMxx data, probably.

Something I used to do months ago but kind of stopped doing whenever we have new Vietnamese data come in. Lately, I have mostly only looked at HGUxxxx stuff, as well as 3619 50xx (3619 is Meiko code for Nintendo).

Guess I should start checking out NL-AMxx entries again for the upcoming months, lol. Who knows, even more is revealed.
I did, but you need to write the exact same string. Maybe having access to the premium service makes it easier checking +10rows...

16GB for now but PS6 and next-gen Xbox are coming sooner now that MS/Somy have both admitted their consoles flopped this gen. No doubt we’ll have more RAM in those which could be a problem for Switch 2 to keep up with.
Problem in what sense? Because Nintendo won't get any AAA games? That has already been the case since the Switch era begun, except a few miracle ports. So even if that future happens, it just means that in a few years time Nintendo won't get AAA games, just like they didn't get for the past 8 years anyway.

So people are in agreement that it'll be 120 GB/s? If so, that's almost 5X the bandwidth of the Switch. The largest increase a Nintendo system has had since the Wii U. 136 GB/s would have been sweet but I myself was expecting 102 GB/s at the very most so this is great news.

Jetson Orin NX is 102.4GB/s of LPDDR5 FWIW
Problem in what sense? Because Nintendo won't get any AAA games? That has already been the case since the Switch era begun, except a few miracle ports. So even if that future happens, it just means that in a few years time Nintendo won't get AAA games, just like they didn't get for the past 8 years anyway.
I think one of the big problems with 9th gen was the lack of supply at the beginning which led to studios doing crossdev with 8th gen for too long, and now we’re already running into console power limitations just as they’re trying to make exclusives. So for 10th gen they’ll want to make more exclusives to take advantage of the greater power, which could leave Switch 2 behind quickly depending on how well 10th gen games will scale over.

16GB for now but PS6 and next-gen Xbox are coming sooner now that MS/Somy have both admitted their consoles flopped this gen. No doubt we’ll have more RAM in those which could be a problem for Switch 2 to keep up with.
Xbox I can understand, but the ps5?

If a console that has sold 50M and has decent third party support is a flop? Like it’s mostly the first party outputs that has been disappointing.

Is there something I’m missing?

Sure, i'm with you there. I was just giving a theoretical scenario that has release Prime 4 on Switch earlier, adding another big title to this years line-up.

Okay first, keep doing this snarky crap and i'll report you.

Now for the rest:

Yes, Nintendo announced a Direct for next month. A month in advance. Does that mean it's going to be "big"? No. It's just as likely that they announced it to calm down investors in the wake of a forecast decrease in revenue coupled with the next big money maker being delayed out of the calendar year and not a single dated game after Luigi's Mansion 2.

Nintendo hit last years estimates, great. But somehow jumping to the conclusion that this means anything for this years estimates is funny, as it ignores quite a few things that 2023 had and that 2024 doesn't have:

• A new mainline Zelda game
  • A new 2D Mario
  • DLC for the newest mainline Pokemon games
  • A new mainline Pikmin game

So please don't give me the "jumping to conclusions" lecture.

For me, this discussion with you is done.

Also, the Mario movie - you didn't need a Switch to see it obviously, but I do think it would've had a branding effect.

The main issue I do have with this analysis is that it’s very unclear how long the Series S will be supported given the current Microsoft meltdown, lol

I can't imagine MS drops Series S until they drop Series X too. It's around half their user-base, last I checked, and it was sold with the very explicit promise that it would receive exactly the same games as Series X. Dropping it would be basically telling a huge portion of their user base to never even consider buying their hardware again.

Mmm, 3DS to Switch was a pretty big increase :p

The Saturn, Wii U and Dreamcast combined would dream to get the PS5 sales numbers.

I can't imagine MS drops Series S until they drop Series X too. It's around half their user-base, last I checked, and it was sold with the very explicit promise that it would receive exactly the same games as Series X. Dropping it would be basically telling a huge portion of their user base to never even consider buying their hardware again.

I mean

They seem to be doing everything possible to encourage no one to buy Xboxes again, lol

I think it’s not even half.

I think it was stated that 75% of their user base uses a series s compared to the series x

But maybe it has chance in the recent year.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom